Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bench & load testing technique...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
Bench & load testing technique...
      #5973 - 21/12/03 09:40 AM

Greetings,

I would be interested in hearing how some of you experienced thumper shooters test loads for accuracy.

Do you shoot from the bench? If so, how do you hold the rifle? Standard benchrest style certainly isn't applicable here!

My rifle is fitted with irons and I usually shoot at 50 metres. Sometimes from a padded tripod while standing and sometimes from a kneeling position. I'd really like to be able to isolate the rifle better to truly test the load and not my personal skill.

All comments appreciated.

-Holmes

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Bench & load testing technique... [Re: Holmes]
      #5986 - 21/12/03 01:47 PM

Last Summer I built a stand up table to shoot from. It is adjustable for height on the front and back and allows me to shoot in a natural standing position. Shooting this way allows me to shoot even the biggest rifle accurately and without fear of developing a flinch. My groups have all tightened up and one rifle that I believed I was pulling off of the sitting bench really did shoot poorly and needs more work.

The legs come off and it all fits in the back of my Explorer. It doubles as a Cocktail table in camp. Sometime I will take a picture of it and post.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Bench & load testing technique... [Re: Holmes]
      #5989 - 21/12/03 02:04 PM

My 470 is pretty light and I don't like shooting it from a bench at all.
I use the bonnet of my Landcruiser wagon and shoot from the drivers side. (Aus)
I cover the bonnet with a tarp so my elbows don't get burned on a hot day and use an old capok filled pillow doubled over as a rest.
I stand and lean onto the mudguard with my gut and lower chest touching it, rest my forend hand on the pillow and my elbows both down on the tarp.
With this set up I find I can hold as steady as if sitting at a bench but the recoil is much easier to take.
Also I don't need to carry around anything special as there is almost always a pillow, tarp and Toyota around my camps.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Bench & load testing technique... [Re: mickey]
      #6000 - 22/12/03 02:08 AM

In reply to:

It doubles as a Cocktail table in camp.

I assume these are those "pink gins"?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Bench & load testing technique... [Re: NitroX]
      #6001 - 22/12/03 03:06 AM

You are, of course, free to indulge in anyway you prefer. As there is a shortage of Gins in our part of the world you will have to bring your own.:)

If you are a daring sort you may find a 'Tundra Pig' interesting.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
Re: Bench & load testing technique... [Re: mickey]
      #6087 - 24/12/03 06:13 AM

I'd be most interested in seeing pics of your rig. Sounds like its time for me to get out the handyman bag and build something like you describe.

I'll have to try off the hood as well when I'm in the field next time. I got out of that habit after a friend of mine was ticketed by a G&F arsehole for shooting from his vehicle. When he took aim from his hood, he raised one foot up on his tire and steadied himself. According to the G&F mental pygmy, it is unlawful to have either foot in contact with a vehicle when shooting. I went to court with him over it and the judge sided with the state. Pretty amazing, eh?

I spent some time last weekend at the range and tossed 40 pills downwind. Felt like I had been hit by a truck for a half hour or so afterward!

The loads I was working with were with H4831 and the Woodleigh 570 soft nose. Last load was 113.5 grains which A-Square listed at 2150fps from their 26" test barrel. My Ruger has a 27" Shilen but I got only 2100fps. They were using their own 570s and I presume it was A-Square brass whereas I'm using Bell. Don't know if I can reach the 2150 with this powder & case combo or not as its rather compressed now. Maybe if I rig up a drop tube about 1 metre in length!

Regards,

-Holmes

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2564

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com