Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ?
      #60139 - 20/07/06 05:35 AM

Hello everybody ! I am a new member but dare to start a discussion on optic sights for a DG rifle. Here in Germany almost all scope sights are sold with illuminated reticles which seem to be a real advantage in low-light conditions, where most of our hunting is done. But I am kinda consevative and don't trust any electronic devices on my rifles, especially on DG rifles for use on African Game. Now I have seen an ad from Trijicon for their Reflex Sight, which uses daylight as well as some radioactive stuff to illuminate the reticle, so no battery is needed. The sight is made from aluminum, no plastic, and it seems it was designed for military use. Looks like a reliable sight for a rifle. Has anybody of you guys ever heard of this sight or even some practical experience ? Thanks in advance and
Wicked good hunting !

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ? [Re: Kalunga]
      #66255 - 03/12/06 07:35 AM

I moved this to the African forum, as it is more relevant here than where it was originally posted on one of the "links" pages.

Erik

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #66259 - 03/12/06 08:07 AM

You did not state what type of rifle or the calibre.
I think you would be much happier with a conventional scope with some magnification.

I would definately get an illuminated reticle. If the battery goes dead you still have the regular crosshair in the scopes I recommend.

On 40cal and up rifles I recommend the Swarovski or the S&B 1.1-4.
I have the S&B on my 450/400 double rifle.

On rifles up to 375 I recommend a 1.5-6x42, either the Swarovski or the S&B.

I have 3 of the Swarovski and one of the S&B. Get the one you like the best all are great scopes.

BrnBear
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: USA
Re: Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ? [Re: NE450No2]
      #66337 - 04/12/06 03:03 PM

They work great. I've got 3.

Kalunga
.333 member

Re: Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ? [Re: BrnBear]
      #66364 - 05/12/06 08:14 AM

BrnBear, thanks for the reply. Do You consider the Trijicon sights as sturdy, reliable and "wilderness-proof" ? Because that's what I am looking for. Which kind of mounts do You use?
Wicked good hunting !

Kalunga

Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
      #66509 - 07/12/06 01:36 PM

Another alternative could be the red dot scopes from Aimpoint. The US military is using them. I have a 2X on my 458 Lott. No problems and definitely stands up to the recoil.

Kalunga
.333 member

Re: Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ? [Re: Scott]
      #66559 - 08/12/06 07:40 AM

Hi Scott, the Aimpoint is a very good and super-accurate sight, no doubt about that. But I made the experience that batteries die when You need them most. For that reason I would prefer the trijcon because this can not happen. And in the middle of nowhere this might be an advantage.

Wicked good hunting !!!

Kalunga

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #160709 - 19/05/10 10:14 PM

G'Day Kalunga,

I realise this question was asked a few years ago but......

I'm luck in that a mate of mine (D.D.) is the Australasian sales representative for Trijicon. Occasionally in the past, he has had some Dealer Specials, one of which was a Reflex II sight that I purchased. I have had it mounted on a Remington 700 in .308 Win and a Rem 673 Guide Rifle in .350 Rem Mag. These sights (all Trijicon's) are a very impressive and well made product! The aiming point automatically changes brightness to suit the ambient light conditions, via a fiber optic booster, that increases the brightness, when in bright daylight.
You can walk from a bright sunny day outside into a dark room and the illuminated aiming point instantly changes to suit the new, darker conditions. Don't know what more I can say about Trijicons products other than they have a great reputation, backed up by a business that appreciates its customers!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ? [Re: Homer]
      #160769 - 20/05/10 09:11 PM

I have a trijacon 1.25-4X24 with a post topped with a triangle on my 375 H&H and is about to go on my 416 Rigby. tough, plenty of eye relief and gives you some magnification.

EricD
.416 member

#160772 - 20/05/10 09:35 PM

Quote:

I'm luck in that a mate of mine (D.D.) is the Australasian sales representative for Trijicon.

Hommer,

Do you know if it is possible to change out the tritium ampule (or whatever the tritium is housed in) on a Reflex sight, as the tritium lasts for about 10 years or so before loosing it's illuminative power? I have a Reflex sight that's getting kind of weak compared to what it used to be.

GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
Re: Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ? [Re: Rule303]
      #160775 - 20/05/10 09:46 PM

I have used two Trijicon Accupoints 1.25-4x24 or whatever they are. The first one was with the amber triangle and it was a borrowed one but I was impressed enough to go out and buy one. The only problem was that the rear ocular lens was quite large and nearly fouled my bolt (on a Steyr Scout).

Anyway, I bought one and decided that I would try the German reticle with the illuminated dot in the middle. This turned out to be a big mistake as the dot is tiny and not perfectly shaped and you can hardly see it in anything but low light conditions.

So yes, they are a good scope, but do not get the German type reticle on the lower magnification models, the triangle is much, much better.

George

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ? [Re: EricD]
      #160812 - 21/05/10 03:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm luck in that a mate of mine (D.D.) is the Australasian sales representative for Trijicon.

Hommer,

Do you know if it is possible to change out the tritium ampule (or whatever the tritium is housed in) on a Reflex sight, as the tritium lasts for about 10 years or so before loosing it's illuminative power? I have a Reflex sight that's getting kind of weak compared to what it used to be.

A good question.

If it fades will the factory replace it under warranty?

BwanaBob (Rob Pretty) is the agent for Trijicon and a member on NE but only occasionally visits.

This thread is a coincidence as I was only thinking about Trijicon scopes last night and the possibility of purchasing one at the SHOT Show this year, and also possibily a RMR sight as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #160822 - 21/05/10 09:00 PM

Quote:

Hi Scott, the Aimpoint is a very good and super-accurate sight, no doubt about that. But I made the experience that batteries die when You need them most. For that reason I would prefer the trijcon because this can not happen. And in the middle of nowhere this might be an advantage.

Wicked good hunting !!!

Kalunga

Kalaunga I should of mentioned in my last post that the Aimpoint will last for 50,000 hours of use on one battery. Just have a fresh one with you when you go hunting and you should never have a problem.
Lets face it the US military use them and trijacons to hunt the most dangerous game in the world

Homer
.416 member

Re: Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ? [Re: Rule303]
      #160837 - 22/05/10 09:17 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Eric, Trijicon will replace the Isotope Lamp (tritium), that generates the aiming dot!
To the best of my knowledge, this is Not a Warranty type issue and will cost you some amount of money.

Gents, please don't take the above as "Factory Advice", you really need to contact www.trijicon.com to confirm this and the associated cost!!!
This is just what D.D. (Bwana Bob's, Boss), has told me in conversation over the years.

FYI, my Trijicon Reflex sight is probably 15 + years old and the aiming Dot, still looks and works just fine!!!

Hope this helps!

FYI, as soon as I get the time and money (I keep buying firearms), I will be making a Go-Between Mount and attaching a Trijicon RMR Red(?) Dot sight ( ? MOA size Dot), to the Talley type bases on my FN Browning Supreme rifle, in .404 Jeffery! I hope to take this combination to Africa, later year.

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------

EricD
.416 member

#160868 - 22/05/10 11:40 PM

Hommer,

One things that I've noticed with my Reflex (the smaller type, not the #II type I understand you have), is that in certain day light situations, the aiming triangle virtually fades away. This is for example when you are in a slightly darkish room, and aim out towards a bright window. If you come out into the brighter room, and aim out the window, the triangle is as it should be.

Do you have this effect with the Reflex II? If I've understood correctly, it might gather more available light than the first/smaller model. Not that it's a big problem, but just something to keep in mind. Although on the other hand, I don't know if this happends when you are in a darkish forest, aiming out towards a bright opening in the woods. I'll have to try that out.

Homer
.416 member

#160897 - 23/05/10 04:54 PM

G'Day Eric,

Sorry but my "Funshop" is locked up at present, so I'm not able to confirm this effect to you, at present. Eric, I'll get back to you on this and other details, asap!
My Reflex sight has it's Fiber Optic "Booster", located around the outside of the objective lens.
To the best of my knowledge, this fiber optic is what brightens the dot/chevron when the ambient light is available and required.

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------

EricD
.416 member

#160902 - 23/05/10 06:36 PM

Quote:

My Reflex sight has it's Fiber Optic "Booster", located around the outside of the objective lens.

This is why I asked, as the smaller version has the fiber optic in the front, and I suspect it gathers less light than the Reflex II version.

Homer
.416 member

#160951 - 24/05/10 07:26 PM

My apologies Eric, this was a poor choice of words on my behalf!

This is a better worded(?) attempt, at describing this.
The fiber optic booster is located "At The Front and Vertically" around the outside "Circumference" of the objective lens.

I think the fiber optic booster on both units (the original Reflex and Reflex II), is located in the same location.

Eric, if I were you, I would contact Trijicon and quote the serial number of your Reflex sight to them and see what they recommend? If I remember correctly, the serial number is written on the side of the sight.

Hope this helps!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------

EricD
.416 member

#160970 - 25/05/10 01:10 AM

FWIW; here's a picture of the Reflex, and the larger Reflex II:

As you can see, the II has it's light gathering portion across the top of the tube.

Homer
.416 member

#161001 - 25/05/10 09:06 PM

G'Day Eric,

Well, I obviously own an original Reflex like your one.

The thing about the Reflex II is that physically, it's starting to get a bit to big and starting to resemble a Coke Can in size!
One of the reasons I was looking at installing a Trijicon "RMR" sight on my .404 Jeffery, is they are smaller than our Reflex sights and because of this, can be fitted on to a firearm, in a multitude of locations. By this I mean, onto the front or rear scope base or on a 1/4 Rib and low down, because they don't need room to allow a Bolt Handle to clear them.

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
      #161337 - 03/06/10 02:49 AM

The guys in the military seem to prefer the Aimpoint due to ruggedness and battery life (vs Eotech for example) and I have not seen much praise of the reflex. There is also the Trijicon RMR which is smaller and available with long battery life or fiber optics and no batteries.

Just passing this along as I have some Trijicon optics but they are just scopes.

RMR info here:

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=13

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ? [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #161344 - 03/06/10 05:41 AM

The new 1-4X24 is available with a german reticle and green dot now. I intend to try one on my M77 .458 lott. My Leupold has failed due to the proximity of the forward ring and the objective lens. An offset ring would, or could, obstruct fast reloading. I think the Trijicon will be great. All I need now is enough excess cash to procure it...LOL. I hope to try it on a tuskless cow next year in Zimbabwe.

--------------------
One day at a time...

AiredaleMarine
.224 member

Reged: 30/06/10
Loc: Ohio
Re: Trijicon Reflex Sight for DG rifle ? [Re: bigmaxx]
      #163626 - 07/07/10 11:33 PM

Kalunga,

If you want a really great scope for a DG rifle, then you really need to look into the Trijicon ACOG. I have both the Trijicon ACOG and Trijicon Reflex sights, and while the Reflex is great in low light conditions at short ranges (no magnification) the ACOG has both fiber optic and tritium illumination. There are different reticles available in different colors so you should be able to find something that suits you. The 6x is a bit large, but the 4x scopes are just right for your application. Put it on a GG&G Accucam QD mount and you have the perfect setup. The USMC is using this out to 600 meters every day on the worlds most dangerous game on 5.56 rifles to great effect. Aimpoints are good also, but as with the reflex sight you need a separate magnifier. If you get an ACOG look for one with the wire lanyards on the adjustment caps. These are all over fleabay and they are much less money than a S&B scope. About the same price as Swarovski. Good Luck.

Semper Fi,
Airedale Marine

--------------------
"The enemy is in front of us, they are behind us. They are to our left and to our right. They can't get away from us this time." Col. Chesty Puller, USMC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7282

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com