Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Front sight bead - best colour?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Front sight bead - best colour?
      #5975 - 21/12/03 10:40 AM

Just noticed the front sight bead on the double is missing its "filling" ie it is now just a hollow tube. May have had some silver solder or something in it earlier, but if it did it has shot lose already. Also shot off the front cap on the forend in the first round of testing. Came off in my hand. But can easily be screwed back in.

The front bead. What is the best color - white/ivory? Gold would be easy to do.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Front sight bead - best colour? [Re: NitroX]
      #5984 - 21/12/03 01:38 PM

Nitro,
Much depends on the type of hunting you are intending to do with that rifle and what sort of light conditions are present.
A large white bead works well in dim light but personally I don't like white beads in real strong sunlight.

For general all round hunting I prefer a silver bead forsight and a vertical rearsight with no slope angle.

Because your foresight bead is missing you have an opportunity to try different types and see what suits YOU best.
If you need any beads made I can do these in silver/gold or boar ivory but would need to know what size is needed to fit your gun.

Edited by 4seventy (21/12/03 01:39 PM)

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Front sight bead - best colour? [Re: 4seventy]
      #5987 - 21/12/03 01:54 PM

That is why allot of Brit guns came with an extra front sight. I'd go with the Ivory or if it is a small a bead go with Gold. Most of the English guns I've seen have a bead that is too small for me, I like the 3/32 - 1/8 best.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Front sight bead - best colour? [Re: NitroX]
      #6005 - 22/12/03 05:37 AM

Does the standing rear bar have an inlaid centerline or inverted triangle? If so, is it platinum, gold or white? I would use the same for the bead or you won't get the proper contrast in bad light. Most of the English rifles came with an inlaid platinum center wire and a German silver bead. Given a choice, I like German silver best, with an .080" bead on a big rifle and an .065" on a medium. Ivory or porcelain works well on a folding moon bead.
-----------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Front sight bead - best colour? [Re: mickey]
      #6006 - 22/12/03 06:38 AM

Like Micky, I find many of the beads too small, and I like the 3/32" with a white, or silver bead, plus a flip up moon bead with Warthog Ivory insert, but with the thin blued steel walls of the tube showing around the Ivory bead! I like the hight of the beads so that they both rest in the bottom of the wide-V rear sight!

I like the first flip up rear leaf to be cut to the same depth as the standing wide-V, but cut in the "U" Notch so the small front bead rests in the bottom of the "U", for percise, first shot placement! Once you get the front sight you like, have another one made, for a spare!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2930

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com