Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Beretta or Sabatti slug gun?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
Beretta or Sabatti slug gun?
      #59708 - 08/07/06 05:51 AM

I am currently looking for a replacement shotgun. I was originally going to turn my Rottweil model 90E into a slug and ball gun by cutting the barrels down to 24”, fitting rifle sights and having the stock modified to suite me better.
But after lending it to a friend he has made me a very reasonable offer for it.

So now I am looking to upgrade to a better gun I was considering a Drilling just to be different, but alas it is not really a very feasible option for my needs.

I have turned my attention to either a Beretta silver pigeon slug gun or a Sabatti SABA slug gun. I am leaning more towards the Sabatti at the moment as it is designated as a “Ball shot” gun for hunting “Hoofed” animals, exactly what I am looking for.
I wish to use .690-.715 cal round ball loads and Buckshot for hunting Pigs for the most part but I do plan on hunting larger game with it. (with the proper backup of of course)

My two choices at the moment

-Mod. SABA SLUG - cal. 12
Side by side shotgun for wild boar hunting with ball cartridge ammunitions.Barrels length: 24 inches. Improved cylinder chokes for slug. Profiled front sight and registrable rear sight.

471 Silver Hawk Slug
56 or 61 cm short cylindric barrels specially designed to guarantee the best target acquisition and the maximum stopping power, adjustable rear sight with folding leaf and ramp front sight, wraparound beavertail fore-end and red rubber recoil pad feature in this new model destined for the classic and traditional hunting of hooved animals.

I prefer the double triggers on the Sabatti and I don’t like fixed rubber recoil pads on a shotgun even if the wood looks as nice as the Beretta does.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

Edited by 260rem (08/07/06 06:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
Re: Beretta or Sabatti slug gun? [Re: 260rem]
      #70191 - 26/01/07 08:56 AM

I like how you think. Both a great looking guns and seem to fit your bill.

I am a big fan of double barrel slug guns. I own a Silvio Brignoli, an Italian 12 gauge with .724 cylinder bores. It shoots the Brenneke Black Magics which are about .729 diameter but the rails squeeze down during the trip up the tubes so the gun can shoot them. But I wouldn't want to try the big Brenneke's in a choked down bore.

I also shoot the .715 lead RB's although trying to work out a carriage so they shoot with greater accuracy, and I'm also looking to get a mold made that is closer to the .724. Plus I can then harden the RB's and make an even better penetrating AND accurate RB load for this double banger.

The other thing I really do like about the double shotgun is when it starts getting dark and you're walking through the thick stuff where something nasty might jumpo out at you, you cna always slip a 000 or 00 buck shot in one or both tubes and feel alot better about that walk out.

Good luck on your choice.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Beretta or Sabatti slug gun? [Re: 260rem]
      #70205 - 26/01/07 01:45 PM

I've no personal experience with either of these two slug guns, but I know a few people who use them on a regular basis. So take my comments with a BIG grain of salt. In general the quality of the Beretta is far higher than the Sabatti. The finish on the Beretta is better (though not always perfect) than the Sabbati. I don't know about in Australia, but in general the Sabatti can sell for almost half the price of the Beretta in Western Europe. That said the guys I know who've used them like them both for shooting driven boar. I've been tempted to get a Sabatti slug gun for a knockabout boar hunter but I've not gotten one yet.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Yogi000
.333 member

Re: Beretta or Sabatti slug gun? [Re: Chasseur]
      #70251 - 27/01/07 04:47 AM

I chose the Brignoli over the Sabatti based upon my assessment that the Brignoli was superior in craftmanship over the sabatti. Granted, the Brignoli was also about twoce the money. yet the Sabatti seems to be a 'good' gun. I would share the previous posters sentiments that the Beretta is superior to the sabatti as well. Although not having shopped for a double Beretta I have not handled one or scrutinized it.

I am now on the quest to make my own hardened round ball slugs that fit my bores. I just ordered a .724 round ball mould for my .724 double bores. I am banking on improved accuracy and with hardening of the RB's then improved penetration as well. From excellent advice provided to me from people on this forum and other hunters, I am confident I can make a double barrel 12 gauge a confident dangerous game hunter... matching the slugs to the bores is a key ingredient. hardening of the slugs or even machining very nose heavy TC "boolits" from BRASS or copper solids could also be extremely hard whacking dangerous game slugs.

Whether you choose the Sabatti or the Beretta I would actually measure the BORE sizes. And, if you want max accuracy and max lethalness of the gun, it seems to me shooting slugs that either come near the bore size or slugs with carriers to match the bore size this is a realistic way to keep the slug true down its journey through your barrels resulting in point of aim accuracy (provided of course your gun is regulated for that slug).

JusticeTrimble
.224 member

Reged: 25/04/07
Loc: Louisville, KY.
Re: Beretta or Sabatti slug gun? [Re: Yogi000]
      #82505 - 16/07/07 08:29 AM

Where can you buy either of those two guns?

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Re: Beretta or Sabatti slug gun? [Re: JusticeTrimble]
      #82549 - 16/07/07 11:44 PM

I don't think they're generally sold in the US. I've asked the Beretta Gallery but they don't exactly jump through hoops for anything that doesn't have five figures in it, though they do sell plenty of reasonable guns. You can give it a shot though - the more people that ask the more likely they will bother asking Beretta Italy to send some over.

Yogi000
.333 member

Re: Beretta or Sabatti slug gun? [Re: smicha6551]
      #93373 - 04/01/08 05:09 AM

I Concur---It is extremely hard to find either of these guns in the states. Double barrel slug guns with express sites are very rare right now. I suspect this problem will not be for long, however, because so many guys want double barrel slug guns and they have to "MAKE" them from what the manufacturers are providing.

If I had a machine shop and no cares---I'd buy up a bunch of Huglu shotguns and some 20 inch long barreled cowboy guns (Maker decided after testing with slugs) and transform them into double barrel slugs guns. Express sites, sling mounts, and excellent aftermarket recoil pads would be standard.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Beretta or Sabatti slug gun? [Re: Yogi000]
      #93375 - 04/01/08 06:28 AM

Yogi - that is an excellent idea - but of course, getting the necessary firearm manufacturing licences, litigation protection, etc, kinda defeats a great idea.
: There are too many people who would buy such a firearm, then attempt to sue for an accident caused soley to their stupidity or inexperience in loading which is pretty much similar.
: Best bet would be to check out used gun racks and pick up a decent double and 'make up' a ball gun.
: Playing with guns for many years, altering to my tastes etc, sometimes makes me forget that some guys wanting this type of firearm might not have the expertise or equipment to 'transform' a shotgun themselves.
: Walking out of the bush with both tubes having good loads containing solid round balls gives one much more confidence than any pellet loads. Seeing a little 300pound black bear soak up 4, 00 buck loads at very close range and stay on it's feet for too long, leaves one with absolutely no faith in pellets. 1-1/4 ounce slugs - yes, balls? even better.
; If a heavy loaded 12 double, with 7 dram equivalent RB loads was good enough for Africa's biting animals, it's plenty good enough for ours.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Yogi000
.333 member

Re: Beretta or Sabatti slug gun? [Re: DarylS]
      #93470 - 05/01/08 04:17 AM

yeah, the double ball (slug) gun gets my vote.

I have found a new gunsmith and intend to give him a "first" project of installing a rear adjustable site on a double barrel shotgun.

The 7 dram equivalent RB loads were and are effective at taking down big game. I agree I would much rather have 2 round balls with 7 dram equivalent than any 00 or 000 buck load when facing bear or big hogs. (I do like the 000 for cats though when dusk or very early light limits the ability to see the sights clear enough for something better than a point and shoot).

I think the Sabatti and the Berreta are overpriced. I think you could get a shotgun that shoots slugs decently with its factory bead on it THEN make the conversions for much less money. The trick is either doing the gunsmithing yourself or finding a good smith to make the Express Rifle Mods to a shotgun to make it a reliable Ball Gun. The testing of loads is up to the shooter for sure.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5644

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com