Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Blasphemy?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Blasphemy?
      #4518 - 22/10/03 10:55 AM

I have come across a very nice first year of production 318 Accelerated Express Westley Richards bolt rifle. M98 action, metal has been reblued by WR in the 1960's, all metalwork is original and rated at 98% with an excellent bore. Wood is all original, no cracks or gouges rated at 95%. Has not been drilled and tapped for a scope.

If I pickup this rifle, I would like to use it here in Alaska for moose, caribou, and bears. I'd also like to take it with me to Africa for plains game.

At issue are the sights. My eyes aren't what they used to be and would require at least a peep sight. Would it be blasphemous to drill the rifle for a peep site or a G&H style side mount for scope?

I feel kind of guilty even thinking about it. Does make or break the deal though, I'd like to have it, but would hate to have WDM Bell's haunting me and hexxing me with bad "mojo".

Any thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Blasphemy? [Re: DPhillips]
      #4520 - 22/10/03 02:20 PM

Yes it would be absolute blasphemy to drill holes in that rifle but.........

I'm all for SHOOTING these fine rifles rather than just admiring them and I know exactly what you are going through regarding your eyesight.

I reckon so long as the new sights are in keeping with the rest of the rifle and are fitted neatly and professionally, go for it.
After all, it sounds like you intend taking the rifle out into some excellant country and after some serious game.
From what I've read, Bell was a hunter not a collector so I think he'd be all for it!

Also, if you don't buy it and give it a good home, how do you know that the guy who does buy it doesn't let the thing go rusty in a gun bag or that it suffers some other fate far worse than fitting a peep or scope!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #4523 - 22/10/03 04:25 PM

DPhilips

My personal view is that firearms are not for collecting and sitting in glass case exhibition gun racks. They are for using, even if only occasionally.

If my eyesight precluded open sights, thankfully I still can use them, ff the mounts, say QD mounts, can be added in a tasteful way I would do it.

Breathe new life into an old warrior.

What a grand calibre to use in Alaska too ! Equivalent to the .338/06 but a true classic.

If the value of the rifle was severely reduced I would reconsider but it's what value to you the rifle has that is most important.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #4535 - 23/10/03 03:02 AM

A G&H could be considered traditional and is a nice mount but here is another idea. A replica, and a very good one, of a H&H bolt peep. I have one on my .404 Jeffery for the same reasons you state. I didn't want to drill into it either. It works wonderfully. I replaced the original cocking pies (and saved it) so I can restore the rifle to as original if needed.

Delucchi, Tom
E-mail Address(es):
jdsoccer04@yahoo.com
Phone 509.946.7855

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Blasphemy? [Re: mickey]
      #4538 - 23/10/03 03:52 AM

Mickey,
That peep is wonderful!!! Exactly what I was envisioning, but did not know what type of installation it would require. Can I ask where you got yours and what was required to install it?

Thanks a ton fella's, I was feeling pretty stupid for even asking the question. I love the earlier rifles and chamberings. My next project rifle is also going to be built around the 275 H&H, I think. My goodness what great cartridges and rifles were developed from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.

mickey
.416 member

#4539 - 23/10/03 04:03 AM

Delucchi, Tom
E-mail Address(es):
jdsoccer04@yahoo.com
Phone 509.946.7855

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #5856 - 18/12/03 05:02 PM

Funny how our vision problems differ as we get older. My eyes have been on the downhill slide for quite a while too. What surprises me is your mention of a peep as a solution. I can still use express sights fairly well, but were I stuck with a peep, all kidding aside, I would be forced to quit hunting. If you can use it, the bolt peep sounds like a decent solution for this rifle.

If it were mine, I would go ahead and scope it, so long as it is tastefully done. The only mount that ever looks right to me on a British or European rifle, bolt or otherwise, of that vintage is the claw. They fit the period - the claw is among the oldest of scope mounts and they were sometimes used by the British makers then. Properly installed, they're very attractive. Yes, they're expensive - $800 to $1,000 for a bolt rifle, but they're worth every thin dime in function alone. They're the finest detachable mount ever designed.

If you're concerned about defacing the rifle with scope mounts, the G & H side mount is the worst choice you could possibly make. Not only must the side of the action be drilled, but quite often wood must be cut away as well. In my quest for the perfect classic .375, I've found it at least a dozen times - only to find that someone had butchered it with a sidemount. Don't do it.
---------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Blasphemy? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #5862 - 19/12/03 04:27 AM

Thanks Nitro. That is weird how eye problems differ. I've been wearing glasses (near sighted) for a long time. For some reason, the peep, which I just look through and don't try to focus on, makes things much clearer. I don't know if it is the light bending properties of the peep or if its because I'm not trying get a clear picture of three things in different planes.

I appreciate the advice on the claw mounts. Didn't know if you guys would beat about the head and shoulders if I drilled that rifle or not.

As it turns out, the owner of the rifle and I could not come to an agreement on the rifle's value, so I've stopped pursuing it. Its a decent price, but I guess I don't need it that bad. I just picked up an early 1950's M70 in 300 H&H in near mint condition in a very good deal. I couldn't pass it up, and the rifle probably fits the use better than the 318. I'm still open to buy that rifle, but the price will have to come down a bit.

mickey
.416 member

#5875 - 19/12/03 11:35 AM

What's the asking price for the 318?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Blasphemy? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #5958 - 21/12/03 02:37 AM

I recently hunted wild pigs with 400 NitroExpress...
Don,t let him kid you...there ain't nothing wrong with his eyes and express sights.... I know three dead pigs that would testify to that....IF they could.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4191

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com