Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: H. Quinot .450 3 1/4

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
jagermeister
.224 member

Reged: 07/06/06
H. Quinot .450 3 1/4
      #58477 - 08/06/06 01:44 AM

Belgian boxlock double rifle on Guns America is described as "Belgium H. Quinot boxlock 450 Express 3 1/4 inch Nitro for Black double rifle. Nitro proofed, smokelss proofed. "

Is this a black powder or cordite proofed gun?

Is this a safe gun to shoot with 450 3 1/4-inch Nitro Express Ammo?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Safarischorsch
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Re: H. Quinot .450 3 1/4 [Re: jagermeister]
      #58482 - 08/06/06 04:04 AM

How old ist that rifle and what signs are stamped into the barrel?

banzaibird
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/05
Loc: S.C. Pennsylvania, USA
      #58485 - 08/06/06 04:18 AM

Just from the part you quoted it seems as though it was a blackpowder gun that had been proofed for a nitro equivelent load. Thus the gun is safe to use with nitro but only for the pressures originally developed by the black powder loading. Thus the designation "Nitro for Black" or sometimes referred to as Light Nitro or Light Cordite.

Bill

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #58493 - 08/06/06 06:14 AM

This is a .450 3 1/4" Black Powder Express. Under no circumstances is it safe to shoot with .450 Nitro Express ammo. The fact that this gun was proved for the Nitro for Black equivalent and is therefore marked with semi-smokeless proof is meaningless - it is black powder proof ONLY. Nitro for Black ammunition was specifically designed as smokeless ammunition that could safely be used in black powder rifles. Pressures were limited to the same standard as standard ammunition loaded with black.

Nitro for Black is black powder, period, and is not the same as Light Nitro.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

banzaibird
.333 member

Re: H. Quinot .450 3 1/4 [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #58499 - 08/06/06 07:20 AM

In reply to:

Nitro for Black is black powder, period, and is not the same as Light Nitro.

What? Nitro for Black is a nitro loading that develops the pressures that are no greater than Black Powder. However it is not Black Powder. Also Everything I've ever read has indicated that Light Nitro (Light Cordite) is the same load as "Nitro for Black". Graeme Wright even indicates this in his book. First page in the "Nitro for Black" chapter.

Bill

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: H. Quinot .450 3 1/4 [Re: banzaibird]
      #58500 - 08/06/06 08:15 AM

Bill:

Sorry, but, Nitro for Black is NOT "Light Nitro". If Wright said otherwise, he's wrong. To make a distinction between Nitro for Black and Black is factually wrong. Nitro for Black is black powder pressure and black powder proof ONLY. There is nothing Nitro about it. The decision to proof some Black Powder Express rifles, like this one, with the semi-smokeless substitute and mark them as nitro proof was a terrible, terrible mistake as the above question clearly illustrates.

"Light Nitro" or "Light Cordite" is neither Black, Nitro for Black, nor full Nitro. The old 577 2 3/4" loadings are a good example. The heaviest Nitro for Black load was 75 grains Cordite with a 650 grain lead bullet. The Light Nitro used 80 grains Cordite with a 650 grain jacketed bullet. The full Nitro used 90 grains Cordite and either a 650 grain or 750 grain jacketed bullet. Nitro for Black loads were loaded with lead bullets to make them easily distinguishable from the Light Nitro and full Nitro versions which are not safe to fire in a BPE rifle, which is what an NFB rifle is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------

banzaibird
.333 member

#58502 - 08/06/06 09:20 AM

We both seem to be speaking english yet I seem to be having the hardest time communicating. So I'll break down each section with questions.

In reply to:

Nitro for Black is black powder,

So you are saying that Nitro for Black loads used black Powder? Or is it nitro powder that was loaded to a pressure limit consistent with the original black powder loading (This is what I stated in my original post above.)?

In reply to:

To make a distinction between Nitro for Black and Black is factually wrong. Nitro for Black is black powder pressure and black powder proof ONLY. There is nothing Nitro about it. The decision to proof some Black Powder Express rifles, like this one, with the semi-smokeless substitute and mark them as nitro proof was a terrible, terrible mistake as the above question clearly illustrates.

What? Whether you feel it is right or not that is what they did. Sure it's confusing but what isn't when it came to the British and there guns? The guns where proofed with a nitro proof thus they were/are distinct from the guns that carry only a black powder proof. Sure the pressure was kept within the limits of the blackpowder proof but it is still a nitro proofed gun. Thus there is someting "nitro" about the gun. Or am I missing your point?

In reply to:

Nitro for Black is NOT "Light Nitro".

In reply to:

The Light Nitro used 80 grains Cordite with a 650 grain jacketed bullet.

Ok this I'm open to. However you also give some loadings for the 577 2 3/4" that I can't find in any books or any of the old catalogs that I have. The specific load is listed above. I did find one reference to a "tropical" load but it isn't reffered to as light nitro either. Could you give me the source of your info? Could you also give other examples of differences with the Nitro for Black and Light nitro loads?

In reply to:

Nitro for Black loads were loaded with lead bullets to make them easily distinguishable from the Light Nitro and full Nitro versions which are not safe to fire in a BPE rifle, which is what an NFB rifle is.

In the couple of catalogs I have along with those reprinted in the back of Graeme Wrights book they show the bulk of these loads where metal based copper tube bullets. Again would you mind quoting your data.

In reply to:

Sorry, but, Nitro for Black is NOT "Light Nitro". If Wright said otherwise, he's wrong

This one might be my own confusion of linking "Light Cordite" and "Light Nitro" to be the same thing. In his book he states. "The nitro for black cartridges were often headstamped 'L.C.' to indicate a Light Cordite loading." Then he repeats the same thing on the next page. So are "Light Cordite" and "light Nitro" referencing the same load? Or did I simply draw a parallel that isn't there?

Please don't take any of this as I want to fight. What you posted simply isn't matching up with the other stuff I've read learned. I ask questions simply because I'm still trying to learn.

Bill

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#58515 - 08/06/06 03:49 PM

Bill:

I didn't take it that way at all and I hope that you didn't take my response that way.

This issue isn't really confusing at all, as long as you understand what the proof marks were intended to mean. When the proofmasters in Britain and Belgium made the decision to mark BPE rifles as proved for the NfB load, they expected these marks to be understood in the way intended. They've been misunderstood for 115 years. Some victims got away with it. Some didn't.

When the Nitro for Black loadings were being developed in the late 1880s, it was found that a charge of Cordite that produced the same velocity with the same weight lead bullet as the standard black load produced less pressure than black. They also found that such loads usually didn't regulate, so many of the NfB loads used heavier bullets at slightly higher velocity at the same pressure, or less, as the black load.

From the Eley Brothers 1910 catalog:

In reply to:

"NITRO CARTRIDGES FOR BLACK POWDER EXPRESS RIFLES."

"These Cartridges are loaded with Rifle Cordite and Metal Base Bullets to give at 60 degrees F slightly higher velocities than the Standard Black Powder Cartridges. They are perfectly safe in rifles of sound construction built for Black Powder, and are distinguished from the High Powder Cordite Cartridges (which must on no account be fired in a black powder rifle) by the Lead Bullet with Metal Base. Smokeless charges giving pressures higher than Black will not be used in Express Cases in conjunction with a Lead Bullet."

That pretty well covers it. That is also how the proof marks were meant to be understood. From here, in the interests of not being here all night, I'll skip to how they've commonly been erroneously construed:

In reply to:

"The guns were proofed with a nitro proof thus they were/are distinct from the guns that carry only a black powder proof."

Absolutely not. The words "distinct" and "only" in the above quote are the crux of the error that many have made because those words underline a distinction that doesn't exist. Black Powder Proof and Nitro for Black Proof ARE THE SAME PROOF STANDARD, and the rifles were proved in the same way. There is no distinction whatsoever between the two. Don't fixate on the propellant used in the cartridges themselves. These NfB rifles were built in the early days of nitro proof. At that time, proof for rifles was based solely on peak operating pressure and peak proof pressure - the only values that could be measured with a base copper crusher pressure gun - not the propellant used to create it. The proof standards for rifles in Britain and (I believe) Belgium in those days were that the proof load had to produce not less than 130%, and not more than 145% of the peak mean operating pressure of the normal load. This remains the proof standard for CIP member states today. Because the nitro propellants available in those days became highly erratic at proof pressures, nitro proof rifles were usually proved with BLACK (indeed, full Nitro Expresses were proved with a fine grain black specially developed for that purpose). What was the peak mean operating pressure of the normal load for a .450 3 1/4" Nitro for Black load? By definition, exactly the same as that of a .450 3 1/4" Black Powder Express - 11 tons. Therefore, under the rules of proof, what was the .450 NfB proof load? You get three guesses and the first two don't count. (Correct answer: The same one used for the .450 BPE.)

Rifles marked for the Nitro for Black load are not separate or distinct in any way, for any purpose, by any definition, from rifles proved for straight black. "Nitro for Black" rifles, despite the nitro proof marks, are not a separate class from black powder rifles. There were no loads that were appropriate for a Nitro for Black rifle that any black powder rifle was not also considered to be specifically proved for. Whether the cartridge is loaded with black, Cordite, other semi-smokeless, or moonshine, Nitro for Black proof is black powder proof only.

When I said that Nitro for Black cartridges were loaded with lead bullets, perhaps I should have said that they weren't loaded with jacketed bullets. I can find reference to metal based (gas check) lead copper tubed; metal based lead solid; plain lead round nose; paper patched lead copper tubed; plain lead round nose copper tubed; etc. A variety of lead bullets were available. The point was that the portion of the bullet sticking out of the case mouth was lead - the signal that the user could stick it in any rifle that was chambered for that cartridge and in serviceable condition and let 'er bark, with the assurance that all would be right with the world.

The "Light Nitro" name has been loosely used, but correctly applies to those loads between Nitro for Black and "Tropical". True Light Nitro loads were never common and were only available in a few calibers. I can find only one in .450, loaded by Eley; three in .500 3"; two in 500 3 1/4" and one each in .577 2 3/4" and .577 3". Those I gave above came from Flemings "British Sporting Rifle Cartridges". The 80/650 .577 2 3/4" NE load appears to have been loaded only by Eley. These Light Nitros were loaded with jacketed bullets for the same reason that the NfBs were loaded with lead bullets - so that nobody would presume to fire them in a black/NfB rifle. Ah well, no system is perfect.

I believe the "LC" stamp refers to Light Express Cordite, a form of Cordite used by Kynoch in some of their NfB loads. Eley seems to have used Cordite Mk I in theirs.

I hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------

Edited by 400NitroExpress (08/06/06 04:06 PM)

banzaibird
.333 member

#58520 - 08/06/06 05:48 PM

Thanks for the information. As always with coming here I learned a lot.

Oh and as far as "in the interests of not being here all night, I'll skip to how they've commonly been erroneously construed". If you ever are bored please feel free to write this down as I'd enjoy reading it.

Bill

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #58522 - 08/06/06 11:11 PM

You two need to get a life!

Seriously, It is the exchange of such information that makes these forums so valuable! This also leads to great camaraderie and fellowship.

Not a day goes by, that I am in someway amazed at the collective knowledge assembled here!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

jagermeister
.224 member

Reged: 07/06/06
Re: H. Quinot .450 3 1/4 [Re: Rusty]
      #58527 - 09/06/06 12:50 AM

Thanks very much! I appreciate the detailed explanation.

That also explains the price difference between this 450 and other 450s!

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #62282 - 09/09/06 10:12 AM

I'm taking in this rifle on trade. I'll let you all known the gory details soon. We'll lay to rest the proof marks are. I spoke to the owner and he loads it with 50 grains of 4189 and and a hornady 350 RN. Say's it a fantastic shooter and has kill many pigs with it.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Russ_Gould
.224 member

Reged: 20/12/06
Loc: OR, USA
Re: H. Quinot .450 3 1/4 [Re: bonanza]
      #303721 - 06/08/17 12:25 AM

What are the chances that a double rifle proofed in Belgium, with the lion over PV mark, cal 450 Express, with star over P inspector mark (1952-1960) is a full nitro? The reason I ask is the rifle weighs only 7.5lb and the action appears to be quite slim, no side bolsters.

There is no mark indicating the type of bullet.

According to the above thread, NFB was only used in the transition period between black and nitro which would have been 50 years prior.

--------------------
http://doublegunhq.com - specializing in fine English, German and American double guns; and http://bigfivehq.com, specializing in safari rifles and hunting safaris

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: H. Quinot .450 3 1/4 [Re: Russ_Gould]
      #303732 - 06/08/17 08:37 AM

400NitroExpress
so if you do see a double stamped NFB, it is ONLY proofed to BP level - but ALSO regulated for a different projectile (using nitro powders)from its original BP loading, is that what that proof mark really mean?
The 500BPE had a 340gn PP loading & then went to a 440gn NFB load, I suppose to keep a lot of old guns still going & without being re-regulated again but all within the same pressures limits

Russ_Gould
.224 member

Reged: 20/12/06
Loc: OR, USA
Re: H. Quinot .450 3 1/4 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #303972 - 12/08/17 05:44 AM

Well I see this thread is on fire!!

I have the rifle in hand. There are two inspector marks * over P and * over M. Also the date letter f not cursive. So it appears this was made in 1927 which makes sense at the maker (Donckier) went out in 1938. Anyway, contrary to what the seller told me, it is marked "B PLOMB" so despite the lion over PV nitro mark, this is a NFB rifle. Bullet weight/charge etc. left for the user to determine I guess. Those Belgians copied the British guns but not their proof marking system.

--------------------
http://doublegunhq.com - specializing in fine English, German and American double guns; and http://bigfivehq.com, specializing in safari rifles and hunting safaris

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: H. Quinot .450 3 1/4 [Re: Russ_Gould]
      #305617 - 22/09/17 04:25 AM

No matter how a double rifle has been marked The meaning is still the same! A black powder double rifle is shootable with NITRO FOR BLACK loads! A "Nitro for black" load is loaded with a smokeless powder to the pressures developed by its full black powder loads and no higher.

I see no reason for confusion here! A Nitro for black load is a reduced load with smokeless powder, usually Cordite but they can be loaded appropriately with any smokeless powder that will produce the black powder load pressure. The rifle doesn't have to be proofed for a NITRO FOR BLACK load!
...........................................Why is that son hard to understand???????

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7982

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com