Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 8X60 Questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Kebco
.300 member

Reged: 22/05/06
Loc: PA, USA
8X60 Questions
      #57988 - 30/05/06 10:08 AM

I have several 8x60's with several different markings. Some are marked 8X60 while others are marked magnum and magnum bomb(sp?). All of them seem to be S bore .323 guns, all but one are pre '45 Mauser made sporters and one is a post war Sako made on a FN action . One of my many projects is to get at least one up and shooting, so just got some RWS brass and started to gather some data. Has any one tried using 8x57 dies and just back them out (I only plan to neck size)? Were the markings just marketing or were they really loaded differently (I have only found reloading data for the generic 8X60)? If they were loaded diffently is there any problem in using the heavier loading in a gun not marked magnum?
TIA

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 8X60 Questions [Re: Kebco]
      #57995 - 30/05/06 12:13 PM

The 8x60 can be quite a source of frustration as it comes time to load for it.
It seems like all of the guns you speak of are nitro proved rifles though, so we'll just skip the blackpowder 8mm crap...

I have two here, one is a high grade Belgian BLE ca 1939 simply marked 8x60 and B.Blindee - marking it as set up for jacketed bullets.
The other is a Mauser sporting rifle with express sights and claw mounts on a half octagon/half round tapered barrel, reenforcement plates on the stock, double set triggers, horn triggerguard, greener safety...
It's marked 8x60 Magnum, it's noted to have been set up for the steel jacketed bullets. The proof marks say it was set up in the twenties.

BOTH of these rifles are set up for the .318 bullet. I use 30-06 brass in the Mauser and 7x64R brass for the double rifle, they both need trimming and reformation in an 8x60 die, I'm using a set of C&H dies which I've been happy with.

There really isn't much credible information out there on loading for the 8x60 - and there's a lot of jibberish speculation on the distinction between the magnum and the magnum bomb.
I have the sense the only distinction there is what the marketing scheme of the retailer might have been.

I'm still playing with loads for the double rifle. I'm using the 196gr Woodleigh SNRN bullet and things seem like they'll work out with that bullet. I haven't really worked on many loads yet for the Mauser and plan to work up a load for it that'll hit to the express sight at a hundred yards and call it a day.

I'll let you know when that happens, until then my advise is to take 8x57 loads and increase the charge till you get performance that looks right using the express sights. On the German guns, look at the bullet weight stamped on the side of the barrel at the chamber and work in that weight range.

I haven't been out to shoot lately, I'm buried with work and the ultra-overload of cuteness from my eleven month old daughter. Might get out this week to run another load or two through the SxS.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: 8X60 Questions [Re: Kebco]
      #59669 - 07/07/06 02:30 AM

I had an Otto Geyger best grade double built in late 20's. It was .323 and I made cases from 9.3x74R cases. RCBS has dies for forming,trim and neck ream. I used loads from the Nov/Dec 1985 issue of Handloader. Best load I have marked as 200gr Speer spitzer with 48grs of IMR-4064 for 2377fps. Shot very well with each barrel under an inch and spread between barrels less than an inch. Wish I still had it. It was a beautiful handling gun.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3606

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com