Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 35 Whelen Report

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
35 Whelen Report
      #5776 - 17/12/03 02:29 AM

I did quite a bit of hunting with my 35 Whelen this past deer season. I was shooting factory Remington 250 grain roundnose bullets........my favorite blackbear round It proved to be extremely effective on whitetails as well.

Anyway, here in PA you are only allowed (1) buck a year and I took mine in archery, so for the rifle season all I had left were doe tags. I shot (3) large does that went from 120 to 168 pounds. The closest was 40 yards out, I took her in the center of the chest, the other two were at 120 and 156 yards. Both of the latter were broadside lung shots. Mot a single deer took another step. They all went straight down with legs up in the air! The Whelen really dropped them. I may have to take it to Africa instead of my 300 Win Mag for plains game.

I think that that the roundnose bullet also help with teh results. I may try to load some in my 06 and se if it has the same effect.

All in all I must say..I love the 35 whelen! Anyone else have any experiance with it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 35 Whelen Report [Re: IronBuck]
      #5791 - 17/12/03 11:32 AM

Those calibres in the .323 to .366 range seem to be so effective with heavy 250 gr bullets. Rounds such as the .318 (.330) Westley Richards and .333 were once famous. The 9.3 calibres are increasing in popularity. The newer .338's and the good old .35's. Most have moderate speeds and often do use a round-nose projectile.

Elmer Keith would agree with that statement.

I really do think the round-nose is the true hunting bullet (some might argue a flat point) for controlled expansion. The long pointed spitzer is perhaps a fad of the magnum velocity craze.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Re: 35 Whelen Report [Re: NitroX]
      #7003 - 16/01/04 08:38 AM

yeah, the whelen is potent medicine for any thin-skinned game, the only problem with the remmington loads in 250 is that the bullets are so-so in quality and because its both a RN bullet and a generally lesser powder charge, your ballistics (trajectory) really suffer. I think Federal Loads a 225gr Partition (wish they did a 250!!!)

I love the 250gr for another reason... beyond 300 yds, its both faster and flatter than the 200s due to the better BC... of course, anything with a decent BC will beat the pittiful 200gr...

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Re: 35 Whelen Report [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #7005 - 16/01/04 08:51 AM

more trivia... from teh nosler reloading manual (#5)...

top load for speed in the 225gr partition is 2525fps.... in the 250???? 2506!!! yeah, lets plot those trajectories!

a cursory look shows the 250 winning by the time you hit 150 yards... that's sad.

--------------------

-me

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #7400 - 24/01/04 03:43 PM

Years ago I had a moose hunt planned and used it as rationalization to buy a Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whalen; it was at the time Remington had just made the Whalen a production caliber.

I didn't get to go moose hunting because of a broken foot, but I still have the Whalen. I have only taken three deer, an elk, a Kudu, and a Waterbuck with it, and had great experience so far. Das Mafia is right about the 250 gr bullets...stick with that, and nothing else!

There are just so many good medium bore calibers...I wish someone would wake up and bring out the 338/'06 in a production caliber, however. It walks away from the Whalen at longer ranges. I tend to like my 9,3's about as well as anything I have ever used...so versitile!

I think we need to lobby for the 9,3x64 here in the US...What a caliber!!!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Stew35cal
.224 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: northern NJ
      #10238 - 27/02/04 07:07 AM

Hello IronBuck,

Read your piece about the 35 whelen. Welcome to the 35 caliber hunter/shooters group. I've been hunting for years with a 35 whelen and 358 win. Nothing drops 'em like a 35 cal in most situations. I've never had any animal shot with either 35 take more than 2 steps! Most have dropped where they were standing.
The round nose is a great choice for the 35 whelen. I load that round in a Sierra 200 gr RN over 56 grs of 4064. I also load the Barnes-X 200 gr over that same powder charge for about 2600 fps. The Barnes never stays inside the deer or bear. Always a complete pass through. Experimenting with the 225gr Nosler Bal Tip has been great. It dropped a moose at 169 yds(laser range finder) with one shot. He never knew what hit 'em!
The jacket is heavier on the bal tip from .338 on up so you can expect better penetration on the bigger bal tips than from .30cal on down.
My Rem 700 classic shoots very well. I'm honestly shooting 1" groups with this gun and have the targets saved in my reloading book to prove it. Very accurate cartridge if you play around with handloads a bit.
I have no hutning experience with the 250 grainer but I'm sure it is all that the 225 is and more. Good luck with your new whelen and go get some critters!

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #10245 - 27/02/04 09:35 AM

I should've replied sooner, but I suggest that you go to African Hunter and go to the Hunter's Gallery and check out the hunt in Zimbobway where the guy used his 35 Whelen to hunt a few plains game, a leopard and a lioness.
africanhunter.com

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: 35 Whelen Report [Re: Stew35cal]
      #10264 - 27/02/04 12:24 PM

Stew,

The Whalen was made for 250's! It just seems to eat them and never burp. The true potential of the Whalen calls for the heavier bullet. I shot enough animals with the Whalen in both bullet weights to arrive at that generalization, and that's what it is...generalization, only.

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: 35 Whelen Report [Re: luv2safari]
      #10272 - 27/02/04 01:24 PM

Hell, I remember Elmer Keith wrote that he had used 275 and 300 gr bullets also. Talk about penetration. Zip through everything.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: 35 Whelen Report [Re: 475Guy]
      #10282 - 27/02/04 03:35 PM

One in...one out = easy to follow and short blood trail! I'm with Ray on that one.

--------------------

TerryBlauwkamp
.224 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Loc: Michigan
      #10307 - 28/02/04 04:08 AM

I have used the 250 gr Hornady RN with great results on Whitetail deer.

Also took the 250 Spire Point Hornady to Africa, and you should see what it does to Kudu and Wildebeest.

--------------------
MayI be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Re: 35 Whelen Report [Re: TerryBlauwkamp]
      #10319 - 28/02/04 08:46 AM

WELCOME TERRY!!!!!

I'm itching to collect my whelen from the gunsmith... I NEEEEED to go shoot that thing...

--------------------

-me

Edited by dasMafia (28/02/04 08:48 AM)

TerryBlauwkamp
.224 member

#10377 - 29/02/04 12:38 AM

You are close to Hornady, so someday when you come past there, stop in and get some 250 gr "seconds".

--------------------

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Re: 35 Whelen Report [Re: TerryBlauwkamp]
      #10390 - 29/02/04 05:42 AM

I already have a few to try out...

although the Speer GSs that I have are looking quite good as well... seem to have a more consistent taper, suspect that they will be more accurate...

--------------------

-me

TerryBlauwkamp
.224 member

#10540 - 01/03/04 11:04 PM

Only your rifle will tell if it likes one bullet over another. Give them all a try.

--------------------

BigBullet
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Yulee, FL USA
      #11018 - 06/03/04 08:14 AM

IronBuck,

Take that 35 Whelen for plains game. In 2002 I went to Namibia with a 338 WM and the 35 Whelen. I liked the way the 35 knocked 'em over so much, the 338 never left the gun case!

I loaded 225 Barnes X at 2625 fps. My rifle is a custom 1903 Springfield with a 22" Shilen barrel. I am going to RSA in May for a plains game hunt and will take the 35 Whelen again, this time a 7x57 will be the light rifle though. I wonder if it will get out of the gun case?

If you get a chance, read what Taylor wrote about the 350 Rigby, with a 225 grain bullet at 2625. He had nothing but praise for that rifle/bullet combo.

BigBullet

--------------------
"But I have always held it little short of criminality to anticipate evils, I will allow it to be a good, comfortable road until I am compelled to believe otherwise." William Clark May 1805

Tightloop
.275 member

Reged: 24/06/06
Loc: Spring, Tx...
Re: 35 Whelen Report [Re: BigBullet]
      #59936 - 14/07/06 04:57 AM

Have a Remy Classic in 35 Whelen...only rifle I do not load for...shoot 250 gr rem factory stuff... .5 " off the bench...great old cartridge...my favorite woods gun...

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #60213 - 23/07/06 01:03 AM

The .35 Whelen is a wonderful round. It was in the Whelen's and Keith's day and still is today.
: I'd stick with a good 250 gr. round nose, and practise with it. Learn it's trajectory, how to hold for varous ranges and it will provide dead animals. It just doens't get better than that. Shoot that rifle until it becomes a good friend and you'll not be wanting for a flatter shooting or higher velocity rifle.
: It was an unfortunate time when Hornady dropped the 280RN - what a wonderful .35 cal bullet that was in virtually all the .35 cal cases. Maybe I'm dating myself. Even the .358 Winny would get it moving along at 2,200fps - great moose and elk bullet.
: Speer's 250gr. Spitzer does a credible job up here in Canada, but a 250RN to 300gr. RN would be my choice for Africa. I expect Woodleigh makes superb bullets within that weight range.
: Improving the chamber to the Ackley version will provide somewhat higher velocities with slightly flatter trajectories, but they really aren't needed (or even noticed n the field). A good bullet at a modest 2,500fps just plain works well & the .35 Whelen will provide it.
: Data showing the .338/06 matching or even exceeding the .35 Whelen for speeds with the same weight bullets merely means they've loaded the .338/06 to higher pressures. It's the same case and if loaded to identical pressure, the larger bore will always provide higher velocities than the smaller bore size. That old '06 case will take 'modern' pressures of up to 63,000PSI, but this isn't necessary for good game killing ballistics. Mosest loads in the old standards of velocties in the 2,500fps range do the work without overstressing standard bullet designs. Today, with a flood of good bullets, we can do little better than follow what has worked before.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: 35 Whelen Report [Re: DarylS]
      #60331 - 25/07/06 11:10 AM

I have a box of 100 Hornady 250 grain round nose 358s. I have a load that shoots just under an inch and is a hair under 2500 fps. I had no idea Hornady stopped making them........i'll have to stock up when I run aross them.

I have another Whelen that has been in the works for over a year now. A Zastava Left hand Mauser action, Gentry 3 position safety, 23" Douglas #4 barrel. I bought a blank of Circassion walnut from Ray Atkinson over at AR. The whole thing has been with a gun smith here in the states that specializes in custom mausers.HIs name is Gary Stiles. It is due to be complete in the spring............a LONG wait, but it should be worth it. Gary will also be changing the bolt handle, the magazine release, cleaning up the agricultural Zastava action, making it more presentable & usable. I can't wait to get it back.

I have one more Left hand Mauser action left after this one...........but that is another story

The 35 Whelen has become my favorite round to hunt with here in the states. It is a true bang/flop gun. It just drops game like nothing else I've used. Even faster than when I've hit them with my 300 win mag.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #60332 - 25/07/06 11:14 AM

IronBuck,

Who said Hornady dropped the 250 grain RN? It's still listed on their website:

Hornady

I use that bullet in my 9x57R double rifle. It's a great bullet.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #60351 - 26/07/06 01:13 AM

The 250 RN is still available and a good big game bullet it is. It's the 280 gr. they dropped, back in the early 70's. I even shot off a few boxes of 300 gr. .358's but I don't remember if they were Hornady's, Colorado Custom or some other make.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 108401

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com