Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: dangerous game

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
45s_save_lives
.224 member

Reged: 12/11/05
Loc: west by god virginia, currentl...
dangerous game
      #57377 - 19/05/06 04:31 PM

A while back I posted a thread about using 45-70s (in particular garrett ammo). The thread wasnt well received and I would even say that I was ragged on by some not so polite members. I welcome all opinions though and take all with a grain of salt.
And when I tried to explain/justify some of my claims, i was again discredited and ragged on, again I dont mind.
So just for kicks I have found some pics of big game trophies that were all harvested with 45-70s ( some garretts and some not).
Just a little food for thought and please remember to keep an open mind. Thanks.

--------------------
Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: dangerous game [Re: 45s_save_lives]
      #57381 - 19/05/06 08:35 PM

Hey,looks like great pictures!! Looks like some good times and enjoyable hunting were had by many.

No doubt the 45-70 can kill--
I have killed a black bear with one.
If I recall I think one of the real concerns previously was whether it could STOP a determined charge.

May I ask if any of these animals charged the hunter??

Thanks again for the pictures!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

45s_save_lives
.224 member

Re: dangerous game [Re: hoppdoc]
      #57414 - 20/05/06 09:06 AM

Hi thanks for the reply. No I do not know if any of these animals charged the hunters.
And on my previous post the question was not whether it would stop a determined charge but whether it was ADEQUATE for use on dangerous game.
A lot of people on here acted like I was preaching heresey or something. All I was asking was whether or not the 45-70 (which uses heavy, large diameter, well constructed, bullets at a moderate velocity) was adequate nothing more than adequate for dangerous game. Anyways thanks for the reply:)

--------------------

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #57415 - 20/05/06 09:47 AM

45s

Don't sweat it. The 375 H&H or FM won't stop charges, either, but they seem to hold some special place here. Great photos...thanks.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: dangerous game [Re: luv2safari]
      #57424 - 20/05/06 12:46 PM

It is not adequate for frontal shots on elephants. It doesn't push a suitable bullet at moderate velocities but slow velocities.

The older 458wm factory loads, and some new ones too, barely get to moderate velocity with an adequate bullet. But the 458wm can be loaded to suitable velocity while the 45/70 cannot.

2000fps with a steel jacketed 500 grain solid seems to be the consensus of minimum velocity for consistent, adequate penetration for elephant body or frontal brain shots.

A rifle and cartridge combination is only adequate if it is suitable for stopping a charge from an elephant or buff, at least in my veiw. The 45/70 doesn't make that ctiterium for elephant, at least, and is therefore not even marginal.

There are so many more suitable cartridges, including the 375H&H - renoun for its penetration with solids and legal too, and they are all more versatile. Beating the dead horse again doesn't make the 45/70 a DG cartridge. In fact, all of the hot (over?)loads only get the 45/70 to the ballistics of the Brit 450BPE's. Even a hundred and ten or twenty years ago they weren't considered DG cartridges, though they saw occasional DG use. Nothing has changed in this regard.

JPK

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #57430 - 20/05/06 02:42 PM

45s_saves_lives-

People have killed ele and buff with spears. That just means that they have big gonads or small brains.

But what puzzles me is why someone would start a discussion and then get mad when differing points of view are expressed. If you do not wish to hear the point of view of people who visit this forum, then it is better not to start a thread.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #57431 - 20/05/06 05:25 PM

How many bullet holes are in this rhino? Anyone know?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: dangerous game [Re: NitroX]
      #57439 - 20/05/06 07:42 PM

How do you know all of the above animals were taken by a 45-70?

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #57443 - 20/05/06 10:50 PM

I've posed this question a lot of times, without ever really getting an answer back, but just for the sake of the drill, I'll pose it again:

If the 45-70's all death and destruction, and just as good and lethal as anything else, then why do so many PHs and experienced hunting clients have such a distaste for the 458 Win. Mag., which out-performs the "rebirthed" 45-70 by a considerable margin?

If the outcry against the 458 Win. Mag. has, in reality, everything to do with its limited case capacity to push 500 gr. bullets at sufficient velocity to ensure adequate penetration under all conditions -- and this has been the claim for the last five decades -- then how in the duce did the old 45-70 with an even MORE limted case capacity, suddenly get so deadly???????????????

AD

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: dangerous game [Re: allenday]
      #57451 - 21/05/06 12:34 AM

Many a elephant had been killed with a .22lr, is it a DG rifle NO. A 45-70 can kill dangerous game no question about it. But if the paw paw hits the fan can it stand up against the challenge? If your backskin is on the line what rifle would you prefer to have available? I want the biggest DG stopper that I can handle at my side.

I know there is lots of argument about kinetic energy, but look at it differently, momentum is speed X mass, you can do your own calculations. You cannot stop a train at full speed with a VW Beetle, you need a tank at top speed.

Is that enough reason why we should not use a 45-70 for DG

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

45s_save_lives
.224 member

Re: dangerous game [Re: SAHUNT]
      #57459 - 21/05/06 03:45 AM

Here we go again i guess. Why are some of the people on here so darn close minded?
To call the 375 H&H adequate and not a hot 45-70 is perfectly ludacris! The 45-70 out penetrated the 375 H&H, 458WM, & the 500NE at the Linebaugh Seminar.
And to say that a 500gr solid @ 2000fps is the min. would disqualify many cartridges that are "adequate" such as the 375.
And as for how many holes are in the rhino, I dont know. But I have read many accounts of other more "adequate" rounds having to be pumped into DG. Isnt this one of the supposed advantages to a bolt gun? So if the rhino did require more than one shot I will not concede that that disqualifies it as adequate.
As for the 458WM, when it was fairly new it had some powder problems that kept it from reaching its potential. Jack Lott didnt like this so he wildcatted the 458 Lott. The factory later corrected this (all well documented), and it isnt an issue now.
And to compare using the 45-70 to using a 22 is the stupidest thing I have ever heard and I wont dignify it with a response. There is a difference in a DG hunting rifle and a stopping rifle. A PH uses a stopping rifle. I never called the 45-70 a stopping rifle.
And like I have said so many times before, I do not like the 45-70 more than classic rounds. I do not like the LA more than classic actions. All I am saying is that there is nothing wrong with using it. Why on earth you pepole wont concede this is beyond me.

--------------------

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: dangerous game [Re: 500grains]
      #57460 - 21/05/06 04:14 AM

In reply to:

But what puzzles me is why someone would start a discussion and then get mad when differing points of view are expressed. If you do not wish to hear the point of view of people who visit this forum, then it is better not to start a thread.

Exactly.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
      #57461 - 21/05/06 04:17 AM

In reply to:

Why on earth you pepole wont concede this is beyond me.

Why does everyone have to agree with you? Use what you like and enjoy your hunts. Posting controversial topics and then being dissapointed that you have not converted everyone to your viewpoint is a waste of your time.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: dangerous game [Re: NitroX]
      #57462 - 21/05/06 04:21 AM

NitroX,
I'm probably the last person here that should be claiming what is adequate or inadequate for African Dangerous Game, because I have not hunted, nor have taken any. I did get mighty close to Elephant, Cape Buff and Lion while in Zimbabwe last year, and have a healthy respect for those animals.

I've never been able to stomach the full details of Lupo's "hunt". When I first started reading it, I was reading about the elephant first and the tactic of him lounging in camp while the elephant was located via ultralight then radio communication was given to the PH, kind of turns my stomach. It smacks of the days that Bert Klineburger was searching for (and would only shoot) the world record moose here in Alaska. Bert would fly an area that supposedly held a monster bull until he found the animal, land as close as possible, then shoot the poor beast. Legal in those days, but wasn't hunting. On top of that, a respected PH on another forum has said:
In reply to:

On the subject of South African Elephant and Lion hunts - if anyone thinks they're hunting truly wild Elephant & Lion there, then they're sadly mistaken. Those species anywhere in SA are very well habituated to vehicles and humans at best.......

At any rate, I thought I'd tally up Lupo's shots and "charges" to see how his 45/70 stacked up. These are numbers from his story on Garrett's website. I don't have any other record of his shooting.

Cape Buffalo:
First shot from ~80 yards into the shoulder.
Charge.
2nd shot from ~60 yards just below the chin in the neck.
Animal goes down.
3rd shot for the finisher.

Leopard:
Charge.
First shot from 6 inches into the eye.

Lion:
First shot ~50 yards into the shoulder.
Charge.
Second shot ~30 yards, brain shot.

White Rhino:
First shot ~100 yards behind the shoulder.
Immediately followed with a second shot into the shoulder.
Third shot (no distance noted only that the rhino was heading for a ravine) side brain shot.

Elephant:
First shot ~60 yards side brain shot into the "temple".
Immediately followed with another shot into the "rear spine".
Third shot from ~10 feet for "insurance".

Hippo:
A loud click from Lupo not taking his safety off allowed the hippo to turn and face the hunters (insinuating the hippo was either charging [again] or about to).
First shot from less than 10 feet frontal brain shot.
Second shot same distance 2 inches over.

The reason Mr. Lupo did this? Why did he take his Marlin 45/70 to South Africa to go after the big five? In his own words:
In reply to:

I HAD DONE IT! THE FIRST MAN IN HISTORY TO TAKE THE AFRICAN DANGEROUS GAME BIG SIX WITH A LEVER ACTION MARLIN RIFLE WITH GARRETT CARTRIDGES 45-70 HAMMERHEADS! I am awaiting confirmation of that fact from the Guinness World Record Book people. Now do you want to talk about PARTY!

A more disgusting display of low rent self-promotion and ego building, I don't think I've ever read.

45s_save_lives
.224 member

Re: dangerous game [Re: DPhillips]
      #57469 - 21/05/06 09:39 AM

I suppose ill weigh in on this once more although my better sense tells me not to.
My post had absolutely nothing to do with how Lupo killed his trophies. I dont know and I dont really care. The point is, is that he did. All I was pointing out, is that he used a 45-70. Ethics and morality had nothing to do with my post. Personally I dont like it either.
And I am not trying to convert everyone to the church of the 45-70. I just think its silly to call the 375 adequate and call the 45-70 not even close.
And to the post about PHs & Hunters not liking the 458 WM, its news to me!
And someone mentioned that the 45-70 didnt push adequate weight bullets at a moderate velocity but a slow one. SO let me get this straight: a 500gr @ 2000 fps is fast but a 500 or a 540gr @ 1500-1600 fps is slow? Somehow I wonder if the animal will know the difference. I doubt it, especially since DG is shot at less than 100yds.
And as for starting a controverdsial topic and then getting mad when people dont agree, Im not mad. It seems to me that others are mad at me just for mentioning this heresy!
I have a 500 S&W revolver with a 4" barrel and it will push a 500gr Hornaday XTP at 1450fps or a 440gr Hard Cast at 1650 fps, I think they'd be adequate too, but Ill not even go into it here, someone might put a curse on me.
Anyways, to each his own.

--------------------

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #57470 - 21/05/06 12:44 PM

Aside from the ethics, or the apparent lack thereof, Lupo was charged 5 out of 6 times that he used his 45/70. All fairness to Mr. Lupo, the hippo and leopard appeared to have begun charging before he took his first shot, I guess.

What does this make of the 45/70 and Lupo's story? I'm not sure what to make of it. Most PH's don't experience that many charges yet Lupo gets a charge from each one? Or, did the 45/70 not provide enough shock or whatever it is to kill the animal outright or flip its brain from fight to flight? One thing Lupo leaves out and I find it curious, but nowhere does he state that the PH fired a single shot. On dangerous game that was charging or in heading to a deep ravine, yet his PH never fired a shot?

If we cast ethics aside, what makes you think the truth about the PH firing or all these charges or the efficiency of the kill was truthful? Seems to me truth and ethics go hand and hand.

Funny thing about the bear in the picture, the kid killed the bear with a 45/70 but the father who is advertising for Garrett was backing him up with something else. If he was that certain (indeed putting rifle in the hands of his son in front of dangerous game) why wasn't he also toting a 45/70?

My post was nothing about the 45/70 until you called me out. Everytime someone posts about Lupo taking the big 6, they never tell the tale of the shots or the animal's reaction. I finally decided to post that using Lupo's own words. My post was about everyone that owns a 45/70 claiming Lupo is some kind of new Elmer Keith led me to post about his ethics. He wanted to hunt the big 6 with a 45/70 so he could get his name in the Guiness book of records? That is the silliest thing I've ever read.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #57473 - 21/05/06 01:02 PM

Regarding the 375--
It is not neccesarily a good Ele charge stopper as stated above. Stats from Zim showed most PH's shooting the 375 died when surprised by Ele in the jesse, while more shooting the 470 NE lived. It is obvious the 375 is not a good Ele stopper as the 470 NE. I think the 45-70 is in the same catagory but would hate to see some one killed trying to stop an Ele charge to prove it. Charging Ele shot with different stopping rounds over the last 100 years prove whats needed beyond question.

The Linebaugh tests were performed involving a modified water medium which gives non reproducible results.There is no free lunch, free energy or magical penetration by pistol bullets. Bullet energy and focal vectors of momentum can't defy the laws of physics for either pistol or rifle rounds.

If you really think the 45-70 is ok for DG but not a stopper I would then ask why do you hunt with a gun that cannot stop a charge? Do you have physical limitations that make the 45-70 desirable vs other calibers??If you are undergunned you may increase the misery and suffering of the animal. Are you planning on the PH to get you out of trouble? Sometimes that doesn't work out.

If you like the 45-70 and want to hunt Dangerous Game with it--go for it. If you don't get charged you may do just fine.I certainly hope I don't read your obituary. The folks here have alot of insight into what works and have advise worth listening to. Take heed.

Someone once said "Use enough gun!"--Good Advise

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (21/05/06 01:14 PM)

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #57474 - 21/05/06 01:10 PM

45???,If my memory serves me correctly the 45-70 and the 577-450 and everything inbetween(45-90 ect) were designed to take lives not save them
That is HUMAN lives so before you get knocked off your perch again it might be worth doing a little research into the subject.
45s_TAKES _LIVES.

Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Grizzly
.333 member

Reged: 05/12/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA
Re: dangerous game [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #57479 - 21/05/06 02:33 PM

Alan - exactly right.

The 45-70 was originally a military anti personnel round. You don't need much velocity to puncture the thin skinned mammals. Given the performance of the 45 ACP as a man stopper, about 900 fps will do the trick.

Nothing against Garrett cartridges. I own a 45-70 lever rifle and use it in dense brush hunts for deer. With the Garretts, I would consder using it on black bear at ranges under 40 yards.

There are a whole host of calibers developed some 100 years ago specifically for African Big Game. And those calibers all exceed 2000 fps. The conventional wisdom is that you need sufficient velocity to penetrate tough hide, muscle and bone. Once that's achieved, the bullet can do its work.

Both John Talor and Elmer Keith thought pur kinetic energy calculations were useless on big game. And in my experience they are correct. That's where Taylor's "knock out" numbers came from.

A 45-70 shooting 500 grains at 1600 fps has a Taylor KO of 52. A 540 grain bullet at 1500 fps gives you a KO of 53. But two things need to be noted - velocity is well under 2000 fps and the 45-70 loses more velocity and energy than almost all other cartridges after it leaves the muzzle. The 375 H&H with a 300 grain bullet has a KO value of 42. But it also has a muzzle velocity in the 2500 fps range.

A 416 Rigby with a 400 grain bullet hitting 2500 fps has a KO value of 59.

A 470 NE with a 500 grain bullet at 2150 fps has a KO value of 73. A 500 NE with a 570 grain bullet going 2150 fps has a KO value of 88. A 577 NE with a 750 grain bullet has a KO value of almost 130.

A few years back, I used a 45-70 with 400 grain factory ammo to hunt wild boar in Tennessee. I hit a 300 pount boar 3 times at 30 to 40 yards - two right behind the shoulder and one in the liver as he was hightaling up the mountain - and he ran off like he just got stung by a bee, I cornered him on the top of the mountain - or he cornered me, and my last shot through his right eye put him down.

My personal opinion is that the 45-70 is fine for game of thin skin and under 200 pounds. Maybe the Garretts would allow you to go 300 pounds. But I sure as hell would not bet my life on it for dangerous game. You need at least 2000 fps with a minimum of a 400 grain bullet. You need a combination of velocity and knock down power.

Can you kill DG with a 45-70? Sure. A buddy of mine killed a grizzly with a .357 handgun. And hunters have taken DG with a bow and arrow. And poachers in Africa kill elephant with a 7.62x 39 AK 47 shooting a 123 grain bullet. But when you're hunting something that can end your life in an instant at a cost of over $25,000, why on Earth would you want to take the chance?

And any asshole who goes for the Big 6 just to get in the Guiness book is not a hunter. He is not even a harvester. He simply is a thrill killer. Guys like him keep PETA in business.

None of my first 3 shots penetrated all the way trough.

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#57484 - 21/05/06 05:56 PM

In reply to:

That is HUMAN lives so before you get knocked off your perch again it might be worth doing a little research into the subject.

Count me out please

The 375 is not the ultimate DG rifle. It is a very versatile rifle due to it's tragectory. You can use it for PG up to 250 - 300 meters (if you know your rifle) and you can use it on DG, but NOT as a stopper. The 45-70 does not have that ability.

Why take risks if your life and the life of others might be at risk, why let the animal suffer?

--------------------
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

#57488 - 21/05/06 07:15 PM

Count you out of what ?

My carry and hunt rifle is a 375 bolt rifle using 300gn rn solids.

My back up rifle if someone else is doing the shooting is a 416 using 410 solid Woodleighs.

Al

--------------------

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#57491 - 21/05/06 08:26 PM

Alan,
Was just joking about the "Human lives" and my surname, don't wanna die yet.

I also only hunt with a 375 and my 416 Rigby is on its way

--------------------
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

#57492 - 21/05/06 08:46 PM

How do you pass time between hunting trips ?
Al

--------------------

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#57493 - 21/05/06 09:40 PM

Earn a living as a finacial advisor, damn boring office job. It is terible spending time between 4 walls. I cannot wait for the day that I can earn my living just out of hunting.

--------------------
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #57505 - 22/05/06 01:47 AM

I think some folks are misinterpreting an earlier comment so
I'll clarify.

I brought up the 375H&H in an earlier post as an example of a rifle that would kill an elephant with a proper shot from the front in a charge, not as a rifle that could be counted on to stop or knock down or turn an elephant. This is in contrast to the 45/70 which does not have the velocity to ensure the pentration needed to reach an elephant's brain from the front.

Bulldog,

The statistics you sight from Zim doesn't refer to PH's but to "citizen hunters". Certainly a less experienced and skilled group. To complete the citation, all using the 375 were hurt or injured, sixty percent using 450/470 class rifles escaped injury, none using 500 class rifles were injured. Small sample, especially for the bigger rifles though.

JPK

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6744

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com