Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 2 Doubles Questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
banzaibird
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/05
Loc: S.C. Pennsylvania, USA
2 Doubles Questions
      #56609 - 08/05/06 08:49 AM

I was wondering if anyone could give me information on these makers (retailer ?) or better yet one the guns specifically linked to below.

I like the look of this first DR but on an 8mm I would prefer it scoped. The 318 bore wouldn't bother me at all. Nawatny DR

The second looks like it was a gun for India. I really like the caliber but would prefer a hammerless in this chambering. Lloyd & Son DR

For those wondering it looks like the Rigby is on hold. The seller seems to have cold feet now about shooting and selling the rifle. So I have a pretty nice cash reserve from selling of some of my homemades and was thinking of putting it into a purpose made DR before the wife makes other plans for the money .

Bill

P.S.- If anyone could point me to a nice 450/400 3" for $10,000-$12,000 I'd like to look at it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 2 Doubles Questions [Re: banzaibird]
      #56612 - 08/05/06 09:09 AM

That lloyd has been hacked, notice the top rib aft of the sights.
Someone's gone in there with a flycutter and poorly undercut the rib, and god knows what else. I'd look at that one with a very critical eye especially for that kind of money.

The .318" 8mm Woodleigh bullet seems to have a good reputation. I wonder if that double rifle's been set up for lead or jacketed bullets. I've spoken with Mr Bob Jones a few times, my sense is that he's pleasant to deal with but you have to know for sure what it is that you want to know from the conversation. Get photos of the proofs and go from there.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #56615 - 08/05/06 09:56 AM

The concave rib on the Lloyd is original. That treatment was common on British rifles. Most Jeffery's were done in a similar way (which is mentioned in their catalog) and I remember another Lloyd, a boxlock, that was the same. I consider the price pretty strong for a hammergun. I wouldn't want it because of the weight, way too heavy for a .400.

Nowatny in Praha sold a lot of nice guns. Some of their stuff is known to have been retailed.

Really nice .400s are not easy to find now. A good friend finally got one last month. He looked for almost a year. He had only one opportunity for a nice one in the price range you gave, and someone else snapped it up before he could even consider the gun. Most of the good quality .400s available in that price range in the US are pretty used up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: 2 Doubles Questions [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #56618 - 08/05/06 12:09 PM

That Lloyd is here in town (About 4 miles away)and if you want detailed pics of it I will get some for you Bill.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

577500WR
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: Anchorage, AK
Re: 2 Doubles Questions [Re: AkMike]
      #56619 - 08/05/06 12:47 PM

I have actually handled the gun 2 times. It has some pitting on the outside of the barrels about 3 to 4 inches from the muzzles. It had sat in a case somewhere and pitted. The bores are really good and if my memory serves me well, the engraving is okay even if it isn't really sharp. They started the price at about way too high, ($14,500.00) and it is now getting better. The gun balances well and it is hard to find better these days in Alaska.

Please remember I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to DR. (My disclaimer)

Bob is about as good as they come at GNG where the gun is listed. He is a salesman, and I do not think he would make any misrepresentations.

577500WR

--------------------
Most folks nowadays think talking about guns is a perversity. I view the old guns as being a record of the industrial revolution transforming the ordinary into high art and functionality.

Judson
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/05
Loc: St. Albans Maine U.S.A.
      #56628 - 08/05/06 06:14 PM

if you are looking for a double rifle have you checked David Travellion here in Maine? Their is a site he uses I think it is gunshop.com but I will check for you. Yep that is the place to check google is great! If you need mr. Travellions # let me know he was trained by Purdy and really knows his guns. Last time I talked with him he had a double with two sets of barrels one in .318 WR and the other set in 577 if I remember correctly. The rifle was used in India if I am correct and had accounted for mucho tigers.

--------------------
It is the small calibers that are the biggest bores.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: 2 Doubles Questions [Re: Judson]
      #56633 - 08/05/06 11:06 PM

That would have to be a very heavy rifle in 318.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 2 Doubles Questions [Re: mickey]
      #56636 - 09/05/06 12:24 AM

Mickey,

That's exactly what I thought when I read the post.

Most of the 2 Barrel set DR's I've seen where one is 500Nitro
or above have been heavy when the light barrels have been put on.

500 Nitro

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 2 Doubles Questions [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #56645 - 09/05/06 01:15 AM

That concave feature doesn't look well centered on the rib, and the tool marks don't look consistent with the filing marks on the rib either.

Could just be a bad photo, but it looks like someone screwed the job up to me.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: 2 Doubles Questions [Re: tinker]
      #56647 - 09/05/06 01:45 AM

Same as the other one.

No two British DRs are exactly alike and distinguishing what is original from what is not isn't always easy. Shortly after I got my current .400 a British gunmaker, Kirk Merrington, said the rear express sight base was a replacement. I had wondered about that because it looked like it might be to me, so I presumed he was right. I now have four friends who have the same rifle, in the same caliber, from the same trade maker. The rear sight bases on all five rifles are the same. Two have a folding tangent sight behind the folding leaves and one has four folding leaves instead of two, but the bases are identical. Kirk apprenticed with Churchill's and knows British doubles, but he was wrong.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

577500WR
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: Anchorage, AK
      #56859 - 11/05/06 03:38 AM

The Lloyd and Sons, I agree is from India. You may not be able to tell from the pictures, but there is a Tiger engraved on one side. With the localized pitting on the exterior of the barrel...India is my conclusion as well.

It may be one to try even if you don't like hammers and use for a trade in the future but have as a shooter now.

--------------------
Most folks nowadays think talking about guns is a perversity. I view the old guns as being a record of the industrial revolution transforming the ordinary into high art and functionality.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1989

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com