Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bush pig and Springbok in South Africa?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Bush pig and Springbok in South Africa?
      #56337 - 04/05/06 01:48 AM

While passing through South Africa on the way to the Zambezi for a cow elephant I was thinking these two species would be of interest to me maybe for a hunt or two.

I would imagine they inhabit considerably different terrain, and two separate hunts might be needed?

What sort of terrain do bushpig normally inhabit? River gullies, mixed farm lands? How are they normally hunted, other than by spotlight at night?

Springbok are such a beautiful animal and to hunt one might be nice if it could be fitted in with regard to time, distance and cost of course. Where are they normally hunted, terrain, preferably more natural range rather than introduced to a game farm elsewhere?

Looking for ideas and possibly to organise something. Not definite just brainstorming at the moment to add an animal or two or more.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Judson
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/05
Loc: St. Albans Maine U.S.A.
Re: Bush pig and Springbok in South Africa? [Re: NitroX]
      #56673 - 09/05/06 07:28 AM

Springbok are great fun to hunt but the shots are usually rather long, two hundred yards or more on the average. They can be found in quanity in the Kgalagadi in northern South Africa. You may want to contact DK Safaris which is owned by the De Klerk family. If all goes well we are planning on going back there in 2007 they are great people and incredable acomidations and food are the order of the day.
I hunted Bush pig in Limpopo provence at a concession in the Waterburgs however things did not go well so no pigs were taken. We looked for them during the day as well as other critters. Early morning or late evening is the best part of the day to find these guys. Your best chance for a bush pig is to go out at night which is probably how most are taken.
This picture is of my Springbok taken in 2004 at De Klerks. The hair on their back raises up after they die for a few seconds to a minuit or so then lays flat again this is called a "pronk" One other intresting tid bit of information about them is that during the mateing season a male spring bok does not have a musky smell, believe it or not they smell like carmel candy.

--------------------
It is the small calibers that are the biggest bores.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #56706 - 09/05/06 02:02 PM

Bushpigs! Great animals. All the BP's I saw were along water sources or in the thick vegetation along dry sand rivers. Of course, I was there during the tail end of the dry season, so nearly everything was within a few hours walking distance of the sand rivers or actual water sources. How this compares to Springbok, I have no idea.

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
      #56717 - 09/05/06 03:32 PM

Hi Nitrox

If I may suggest, seeing that you are on a tight schedule time wise, choose either a bushpig or a springbok hunt, as it will be very difficult to combine the 2 on a short, inexpensive hunt. Rather do a gemsbok with the springbok, or a bushbuck with the bushpig.

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Bush pig and Springbok in South Africa? [Re: DPhillips]
      #56719 - 09/05/06 03:38 PM

John

As you say they inhabit very different habitats. bushpig like thick bush and the best areas I know of are in KZN around the sugar growing areas....... the just adore the sugarcane.

A buddy of mine had a (pig mad) client many years ago who managed to take everything on his wishlist except a bushpig. The last evening they went back to camp and about 2200 hrs my buddy was chatting to the Zulu maid about the hunt and how disappointed he was not to have got a cleansweep and that they hadn't even seen a bushpig....... the maid looked puzzled and said, "Numzaan, why not shoot the one that lives here...... he drives me crazy and he's very old and to be shot as he empties all the dustbins every night" - He said, "what bushpig?" - She opened the back door and there it was going through the garbage about 15 yards away......... So the client did get everything he wanted, although he did manage to shoot the door frame of the wine cellar as well.

He's always regretted telling me that story as every time I see him, I give him shit about shooting a PAC bushpig in the back garden......

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Bush pig and Springbok in South Africa? [Re: shakari]
      #56725 - 09/05/06 06:55 PM

I would do the bushpig/bushbuck hunt. That would be great fun.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

stu_c
.224 member

Reged: 04/10/05
Loc: Switzerland
Re: Bush pig and Springbok in South Africa? [Re: bulldog563]
      #56749 - 10/05/06 03:12 AM

Sounds like a great idea for a hunt. I've got the Springbok/Gemsbok hunt lined up for next month.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Bush pig and Springbok in South Africa? [Re: stu_c]
      #56779 - 10/05/06 12:38 PM

I've already got two bushbuck, one from South Africa and a Limpopo species and the other from the Gwayi and a Chobe species.

Want to hunt bushpig however.

Also I am planning to take a .450 and a 9.3mm double so neither is particularly long range artillery for springbok and gemsbok.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
      #56800 - 10/05/06 06:49 PM

With that 2 rifles, I would opt for a Kalahari hunt for gemsbok, springbok, as you generally get closer there due to the dunes making hiding slightly easier.
9.3 double would work wondrs on the bushpig, I still think you should try and gt the bishpig in the Omay.

--------------------
Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.
karl@huntingsafaris.net
www.huntingsafaris.net
+264 811 285 416

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Bush pig and Springbok in South Africa? [Re: Ndumo]
      #349800 - 28/01/21 02:31 PM

Quote:

With that 2 rifles, I would opt for a Kalahari hunt for gemsbok, springbok, as you generally get closer there due to the dunes making hiding slightly easier.
9.3 double would work wondrs on the bushpig, I still think you should try and gt the bishpig in the Omay.

And Karl got the gig from this thread way back then.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2576

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com