Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ejectors vs Extractors

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Ejectors vs Extractors
      #5577 - 11/12/03 01:30 AM

What is the general opinon on Ejector vs Extractor issue. Aside from the fact that Ejectors will cost more and bring more resale value what about the practacality of using either for actual hunting situations?

I have both and ejectors tend to bend and loose brass but in the field is this a concern?

Noise, is this an issue?

Reliability? A brocken ejector is an exractor.

Opiinions?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Ejectors vs Extractors [Re: mickey]
      #5583 - 11/12/03 11:57 AM

mickey
No competition!
Ejector guns are better!

An ejector gun is easily changed to extractor.
Cannot easily change an extractor gun to eject though!

With an ejector gun you can make your own choice but with an extractor gun the choice is already made!

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #5584 - 11/12/03 02:26 PM

mickey
I have 2 ejector doubles and one extractor double.
If a "dangerous animal" was running toward me and I had shot both bbls I would prefer the ejector rifle, I think.
However, in actual use so far I think the ejector rifles are slower to reload as I am always trying to "save" the brass. In my extractor rifle all I have to do is raise the bbls and the brass will fall at my feet or just quickly pluck it out, drop it down my shirt of stick it in my back pocket, either of which you can do while running after wild pigs [after downing 2 pigs, one with a right and one with a left ].
Strangely enough when switching between the ejector and the extractor rifles I always know which is which, so I guess I must say it really does not make me any difference.
I would not pass on a certain double rifle because of this feature.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Ejectors vs Extractors [Re: NE450No2]
      #5586 - 11/12/03 03:53 PM

Like NE 450 No. 2, I own and use both. I once believed they were mandatory, now they annoy me - and I use an ejector rifle a lot. For me, any perceived advantage of ejectors (I haven't found any) is more than offset by the fact that an ejector rifle is harder to close than a non-ejector. I can live with that unlovely trait in a medium bore, but I refuse to tolerate it in a large bore.
-------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

mickey
.416 member

Re: Ejectors vs Extractors [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #5587 - 11/12/03 05:35 PM

Has the 'silent operation' ever made a differance to any of you? Ever needed to unload and load a Double quietly? Isn't it odd the habits we get into in saving cases when we reload?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #5610 - 12/12/03 09:11 AM

I like ejectors on a double shotgun, but detest them on a double rifle! That being said, I always buy WITH ejectors if posible,because of re-sale value, but disconnect them on a rifle I use for dangerous game! As Nitro 450 said, the rifle is easier to close without the ejectors and is much quicker! When a Buffalo is on his way to talk to you about an insult to his butt, I certainly don't think about saveing brass!

The noise thing is valid in certain places, and cercumstances! When the rifle is fired, it is so loud that it is difficult for an animal, like a lion, to locate the dirrection of the blast, if he has not already located you before you shoot him. In the long grass, if you shoot at him, when you open that rifle, the "PING" of the cases being ejected, are as foreign to the bush as rock,N, roll music, and he will be on you like stink on a skunk, at a time when you have the rifle open. I don't think the sound is as important on Buffalo as on cats, and then only when you are very close, and in cover. The reason it was a problem years ago, was the need to kill as many animals as one could in a herd, especially elephant. The most common proponant of extractors only, was Elephant hunters. Letting an ASKARI, or old COW, know where you are after you've just knocked down his/her boss, is not a greatest way to assure long life!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Ejectors vs Extractors [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #5611 - 12/12/03 10:27 AM

400 Nitro Express and DUGABOY 1,

Not sure if I've got this right but, are you guys saying that you feel an ejector double is slower to reload than an extractor double?
(due to the extra effort needed to recock the ejector springs when closing the barrels on the ejector gun)

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Ejectors vs Extractors [Re: 4seventy]
      #5623 - 12/12/03 05:16 PM

470:

Hmmm. I suppose you could put it that way. Ejectors kick your empties out at the expense of a hard to close gun. I get from shot 2 to shot 3 just as fast with a non-ejector as I do with an ejector, so ejectors serve no useful purpose - for ME - and paying the price for having them is just a constant, nagging irritation.

Normally, no, the extra force required to cock the ejector springs does not slow me perceptably, although I can imagine circumstances in which it might. I expect a dangerous game double to open AND close as smoothly and as effortlessly as mechanically possible. That standard precludes ejectors.
----------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Ejectors vs Extractors [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #5632 - 13/12/03 09:45 AM

Ok, so we agree that an ejector gun is going to require more effort to close than a non ejector gun.
(after both barrels are fired)
Harold Wolf did a piece a while back on the Purdey self opening action and mentioned that as a result the Purdey guns were a little harder to close than other doubles.

Does this mean that a self opening Purdey double which also has ejectors would be even more difficult to close than a double which has ejectors but does not have any self opening system?
Or did the Purdey system over come this in some way?

Mickey, is your 369 a self opener and does it have ejectors?
If so is it harder to close than other ejector guns you own?

Of course I could check this myself on any of the 20 or so Purdey sidelock self openers in my safe but have temporarily lost the key!
I wish!! Just joshin' of course, maybe oneday!

Edited by 4seventy (13/12/03 09:57 AM)

mickey
.416 member

Re: Ejectors vs Extractors [Re: 4seventy]
      #5637 - 13/12/03 01:53 PM

4seventy

The 369 is a self-opener but I am not sure if it is harder to open or not because of this. I have nothing to compare it too. I guess I should buy a non self-opener in a 369. It is stiffer to close than my 9.3 that also has ejectors and is almost of comparable size.

The stiffness of the springs is in proportion to the size of the cartridge being ejected. For instance, my 577NE is very stiff when trying to reset the ejectors, the weight of the shells needed to be ejected being much more than my 9.3. The greater mass of the barrels is only a hinderance and not a help in the 577. After disconnecting them it is now only stiff in resetting the firing pins so it does make a difference.

I have never had to face an emergency with the 577 but I don't think that rotating it over to drop out the cartridges is any slower than the slower speed of the ejectors but it does require less effort. I have found that the 577 is much easier to close without the ejectors but I like them on the 40's and smaller as they are so light as to be indistinquishable from non-ejectors.

The problem would be in getting used to one type and than using the other and that is trouble. If you are used to ejectors and then in a 'panic' mode, forget to make the then conscious effort to rotate the rifle, being used to the empties flying free, before trying to put in new cartridges than you will be in real trouble, and not no why. Confusion will get you hurt.

I am a perfect of example of having both and even on the range I forget which one I have at times and end up with brass hitting the cement and getting dented.

Chasseur, welcome. HuntChat doesn't seem to have anyone with much interest in Doubles. I hope you find a home here.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2792

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com