Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
News
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Internet News
To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question!
      #55440 - 22/04/06 07:41 AM

Southern Africa: To Cull Elephants Or Not?

Mmegi/The Reporter (Gaborone)

April 21, 2006
Patrick Van Rensburg

I was reminded within the last week, by focused stories in a supplement to The Star of Johannesburg, headed JUMBO DEBATE, of my own two columns a while ago, headed How to deal with 130 000 elephants?'

The Star's focus, in an article, sub-titled KRUGER FACES THE ISSUES, by Peter Borchert, founder and publisher of Africa Geographic, was about the need of the Kruger Park to keep its elephant numbers at around 7 000. Initially, it was achieved by an annual cull which resulted in the killing of 17 219 elephants between 1967 and 1996.

As we well know, there is a substantial, international anti-culling lobby which opposed culling as a management strategy. After a public debate, initiated by SANParks which controls Kruger Park, the Parks Board announced a moratorium on culling, which the author reported as having been widely applauded locally and internationally.

The moratorium decision was not only based on the ethics and morality of killing, but also after questioning the 7 000 figure as the "correct number for the Kruger Park", based on low, moderate or high levels in different parts of the Park. The number, 7 000, apparently represents about one elephant per square kilometre.

To cut a long story short, if natural grazing limitations only, were followed, the Park's elephant population could arguably reach 20 000, which could result in deterioration of its savannahs. The Park's conservation managers argue that this could only be prevented by culling. Animal rights campaigners threaten boycotts by tourists if this happens.

South Africa's Minister of Environmental Affairs and Tourism, Marthinus van Schalkwyk, has to decide whether to cull or not. To cull might result in tourist boycotts, so he has appointed an advisory body of experts. As a result, elephant impacts in the Kruger Park are being monitored. "Another option is that - with the establishment of the Greater Limpopo Transfrontier Park, which embraces Kruger, and covers a million ha in Mozambique and Zimbabwe, the Kruger elephants may begin to exploit these new lands‚ resulting in a more natural migratory system", writes Borchert.

Sarah Borchert, who edits Africa Geographic, contributed an article to the focus entitled 'Putting elephants on the pill', which had really drawn my attention to The Star focus as a method of elephant birth control that we might look at ourselves, though it is not without problems of effecting.

Sarah Borchert reported that in the 1990s, a Pretoria University research group "unravelled the details of ovarian and uterine function in elephants, and trials took place in the Kruger Park from 1994 to 2000". In other trials, a protein (porcine zona pellucida, or pZP) "proved more effective.

Most recently, Henk Bertsschinger, of Pretoria University" oversaw the application of a new one-shot vaccine that releases the contraception over one to 12 months and may last up to two years a significant improvement on the time and costs associated with pZP". The pZp vaccine is administered by darting.

Several problems of contraception are noted by Rudi van Aarde: contraception does not reduce elephant numbers, it reduces birth rates and relies on natural mortality to decrease the population.

The scale of our problem is vastly greater, in terms of numbers of elephants and the area that they cover, than any neighbouring country. When I last wrote about elephants, they numbered 130 000. There might, now be 120 000, as there has been an outbreak of anthrax which has reportedly reduced their numbers. Another factor causing numbers' reduction may be deterioration of grazing due to excessive numbers.

Daphne Sheldrick, one of The Star's contributors, writes that "Elephants are fragile animals in that they have inefficient digestive systems and are the first species to feel the effects of malnutrition which weakens them, anchors them to permanent water and eventually reduces them to a coma. Like humans, elephants need a varied diet and those that lack it die, not from starvation, but from malnutrition".

Interestingly, what she sees as the only permanent solution to overpopulation is to remove sub-adult females from the entire population, which creates the population gaps that allow the regeneration of vegetation.

This is exactly what happened in the Tsavo National Park in Kenya. "The elephants died in huge numbers, but other species were not affected".

In 1990, we reportedly had 55 000 elephants, and the official view in the Elephant Management Plan - was that their number should be kept at 60 000, which clearly didn't happen. Now we are faced with a huge problem which acceptable, conventional methods cannot solve. Sheldrick points out that it is estimated that a natural elephant die off - due to malnutrition, - only occurs once in 250 years.

I had, in my earlier articles, quoted Graham Child who was responsible for some years for elephant culling in Zimbabwe, as noting that "at a safe carrying capacity, elephants may act as a pruning agent and benefit biological diversity by opening up and altering the age structure of plant communities, but once numbers exceed this level, overpopulation impacts seriously on habitats.

By virtue of their dominance as herbivores, elephant damage has a cascading effect through the ecosystem; degradation is not a uniform process, but is accompanied by deterioration past a series of critical thresholds over which recovery is often, at best, problematical in the short to medium term".

I'm sure the wildlife people of the SADC member countries must be in touch with each other about the inherent problems of excessively large elephant populations in given areas, and what to do about them. How long would we have to wait if we leave it to nature alone?

http://allafrica.com/stories/200604210791.html

--------------------

African News Headlines at a glance daily

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question! [Re: News]
      #55462 - 22/04/06 12:00 PM

Elephants can obviously be destructive to the ecosystem in high numbers.

The PETA and antielephant hunting faction have been successful in stopping game management in many countries.
Result--TOO MANY Elephants!!!

Since the cost of Ele hunting is prohibitive it becomes obvious that overpopulation will occur. After the habitat is damaged signifigantly on can predict there will be a terrible outcry and massive culling will occur.These facts are a given.

It sounds as though selective culling of female elephants at no additional chargeshould be considered for hunters and fixed numbers of the females expected from PH's every season as well.

Will this ever happen?
I doubt it. African governments seem to only react to a crisis too late and too slow.

Bad Situation for both the africans and the elephants!!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Sasquatch
.224 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question! [Re: hoppdoc]
      #55470 - 22/04/06 01:50 PM

hoppdoc.............I agree with what you have said. Sadly, one of the troubling parts of this is that the safari companies seem reluctant to really cut back on the daily rates and fees for this. If it says elephant they want big bucks.............I know many a hunter on plains game hunts would jump at the chance for a cow elephant and pay a reasonable trophy fee if it was an option.........but it is not.

--------------------
Skyline Adventures
www.canadianblackbearhunt.com

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question! [Re: Sasquatch]
      #55483 - 22/04/06 03:53 PM

Hope I don't cause any offence when I say that:- Sport hunting elephant cows isn't as simple as some people seem to think. It causes a huge impact on herd dynamics and also usually creates a lot more problems than it solves....... Believe me, it's a hell of a lot more complicated than it first appears. You might like to read the following:-

Coming of age with Elephants - Joyce Pool
Wildlife Wars - Richard Leakey
When Elephants Weep - Jeffrey Masson & Susan Mcarthy
Among the Elephants - Iain & Oria Douglas Hamilton
Africa's Elephants - Martin Meredith
Elephant Memories Cynthia Moss
The Wildlife Game - Ron Thomson
Mahohoba - Ron Thompson

Not all of these books agree, but all do have a valid opinion and make good points and all are worth reading. By doing so, you'll be much better placed to form an informed opinion.

Any fool can shoot an Elephant (and many do ) - but to do so without something approaching an understanding of what they're doing and why they're doing it, is only half the hunt.

Personally, I believe that Elephant cows & calves should only be taken out by a proper team of (professional) cullers who should take out entire family units at one go. However, I fully support the sport hunting of Elephant bulls.

That's my personal opinion, but I should say, I also respect the opinion of those that disagree with it. There are many excellent and highly experienced PHs esp in Zimbabwe who have other opinions.

That said, not all Elephant hunts are overpriced. You can sometimes pick up late season bookings & extra or late quota, PAC or non exportable elephants hunts in a variety of African countries such as Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Botswana at fairly reasonable prices. - but you have to be prepared to walk the walk as well as talk the talk.......

As to culling in the KNP, I live only a few minutes from the bottom end of it and there is no doubt in my mind that it has far too many Elephants - but I'd bet a pound to a pinch of the brown stuff that the governing body won't have the courage to start culling in the foreseeable future. They're just too scared of the anti feelings it will stir up amongst the uninformed but hard currency rich public.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (22/04/06 04:48 PM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question! [Re: shakari]
      #55488 - 22/04/06 05:29 PM

I certainly am no expert on elephants.My personal experience with game management comes from culling does at my local hunting club.Over a longer period of time this helps the buck size tremendously.

Elephant dynamics are obviously different and more sophistcated.I have no problems with the Bulls either as I understand they are kept away from the cows until they are in heat.

But whether entire pods of elephants are wiped out or select females(not the ?alpha female) taken something should be done.Hunters won't do it at the prices requested.

There are just TOO MANY ELEPHANTS!!!

PS_
Thanks for the texts on Elephants, I will read some of them.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (22/04/06 05:31 PM)

shakari
.400 member

Re: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question! [Re: hoppdoc]
      #55492 - 22/04/06 06:56 PM

I'd agree they need thinning out dramatically but believe it should be done in a scientific manner....... the books will really give you an insight into Elephant relationships and dynamics and although I'm sure you won't agree with everything you read (any more than I do), by the time you're finished you'll have a very different opinion on the subject than you do now......... There's nothing more interesting than Elephants......... whether you're hunting them or just studying them.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #55499 - 22/04/06 10:33 PM

OK I will hunt cheaply some cow elephants, then the professional helicopter gunships can come in to wipe out the rest of the herd.

Bull elephant hunting has become so ridiculously expensive it is out of the reach of the common hunter. Maybe PAC in the heat nd stickyness of summer is still possible.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

shakari
.400 member

Re: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question! [Re: NitroX]
      #55500 - 22/04/06 10:47 PM

John,

I agree there's no such thing as a cheap bull Elephant hunt - but there are some that are cheaper than others..... I seem to remember that Aussie hunters can't import Elephant products into Oz? - assuming that's the case then they would be in the position of being able to take advantage of the least expensive hunts........ I haven't checked these prices recently as I haven't needed to, but I would guesstimate prices to begin around US$15K all in........ My guess is that 2007 will see some increases though. (IMO) This year is slightly slower for the African hunting industry in general which is why we're now seeing a plethora of special offers. However 07 & 08 are already well booked.... or at least, they are for us................

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (23/04/06 12:38 AM)

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
      #55563 - 24/04/06 01:47 AM

Steve -
Interesting - I have assumed until now that culling was simply a missed opportunity for hunters, or perhaps a result of mismanagement as it pertained to the number of animals sport hunters were allowed to take in previous seasons. Your comments have given me something to chew on.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question! [Re: Boomer]
      #55566 - 24/04/06 02:25 AM

One of the main targets for cow elephant hunts in the Zambezi Valley is te culling of tuskless cows. Perhaps the negative aspects of shooting tuskless cows is outweighed by the positive conservation effects of removing them from the gene pool, I think.

Seems over time they have bred up to quite considerable numbers seeing the hunts available and at good prices at the moment.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

shakari
.400 member

#55572 - 24/04/06 02:49 AM

Boomer,

They're a very complicated species and not like any other. The two books I mentioned by Ron Thomson give an especially good insight into elephant management by culling. The other methods (from my experience) such as translocation etc simply don't work except perhaps in the short term........

John's post (as always) raises some good points. Personally, I don't see why there is such a problem about having a few tuskless Elephants around the place. I appreciate they're generally more aggressive but I believe the reason for that is partly that they're hunted harder than the other elephants and partly it's simply the result of sport hunting from herds of females. The survivors don't forget and become increasingly aggressive every time it happens. The expression of "dancing with the Zambezi Ladies" was coined for a very good reason.........

As I said, my personal opinion is that cows and calves should only ever be taken by a proper culling team when the entire family unit is taken out.That would also cure the tuskless problem as if it's a genetic trait (and I'm sure it is) and if it's considered undesireable, then taking out family units with that trait should solve the problem........ but hey, I'm no zoologist, just a hairy assed PH so my opinion isn't really worth any more than anyone elses.

As John also says, the prices are very attractive indeed and I have to say I understand why people book these hunts.... and I certainly wouldn't condemn them for doing so. My beliefs are my own and I see no reason why they should be enforced on others. Discussion is good and it's how we learn - but we must all be free to make our own decisions........

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
Loc: Brazil
      #55575 - 24/04/06 03:15 AM

I am a scientist and an university professor in animal science and ecology departments. However, I feel that I am deeply against "scientific culling", and letting "professionals" control population numbers.

Yes, I know elephants are different and a more difficult species. I also agree that inside national parks the situation is more complicated (e.g. culling elk in Yellowstone). But the Hunt (with a capital H) means so much... an animal, and particularly an elephant, should never be killed for scientific reasons or by the use of scientific means...

I understand that I am ALLOWED to hunt because of scienctif animal counts. But I love to HUNT hunt elephant not to reduce their population. It is becasue it is so humanly right to hunt them! Men and elephant should continue to face each other for reasons that have nothing to do with elephant numbers.

In the end I think it is a disgrace to the elephant that his life may be taken by a paying official, shot with automatic guns after being herded by helicopters.

Maybe even worst would be an elephant population receiving pills!!! We would reduce the meat production where elephants exist and at the same time plant wheat in Masai land (something that is happening) to replace that lost meat production!!!!

Elephant cows would be "stressed" because their would be a generation gap. The whole elephant society could be at risk. It doesn't make any sense. Moraly, ethycaly and most importantly ecologicaly to put elephants on pills or to shoot them with scientists/soldiers.

The psycological disturbance suggested by some of the books quoted by Chasseur (the onces I read) have, in my understanding, a lot of London/NewYork rich/urban cultural views which are not acceptable and don't make any sense. There is a tremendous bias there.

By not culling the national parks may be endagering dozens of species which could be totally destroyed to save individual elephants. This is the same park system that kills individual humans, to save elephants (even though they are not at risk of extintion in the Kruger).

The fact is clear: 1) the life of a poor black poacher is less then of an elephant; 2) the life of an individual elephant may be worth the forever anihilation of entire speicies.

Dante

--------------------
Ddouble

shakari
.400 member

Re: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question! [Re: DDouble]
      #55576 - 24/04/06 03:42 AM

I think you might have (at least, in part) misunderstood my posts. I'm all for the sport hunting of bull Elephants - but I believe the females and calves should be culled by professional culling teams. - NOT scientists..... hell, I wouldn't trust most scientists to do anything more practical than tie their own shoelaces!

A culling team usually comprises of 3 shooters either with or without a personal loader each. These guys will usually be employed by Parks Board and usually do this job on a regular basis...... the main point is that taking out an entire family unit needs very fast and accurate shooting (from 1st to last shot is usually just a few minutes) and it's bloody dangerous......and no place for an amateur - no matter how good he thinks he is.

Incidentally, I don't for a moment put myself in the former catagory.

Another author I didn't mention in my previous post is Ian Parker who also has lots of interesting things to say about Elephants and his opinions are also worth reading...... Don't know why I forgot him - must be getting old I guess!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

shakari
.400 member

#55577 - 24/04/06 03:59 AM

Hell, maybe I'm suffering from oldtimers disease!

You can also add Elephants for Africa by Randall J Moore. This one doesn't make any scientific points - it's the story of his release programme and to a large extent about Abu from the famous Abu's Camp in Botswana, but it does show by example how clever our long nosed friends are! - but be warned - it ain't cheap!!!!!!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

DDouble
.300 member

#55581 - 24/04/06 05:47 AM

Chasseur,

As I said, I do agree with you on most points you made! The culling teams I saw in Africa are certainly the most skilled to wipe out an entire family. You are correct shooting cows is more dangerous than bulls (my two tuskless cows and one bull hunt in Zimbabwe confirmed this). It is even more dangerous when you must shoot the whole herd.

However, I am contrary to culling for a totally different perspective. I don't agree with the idea the small herds should be killed at once. Yes, it will keep elephants tame for pictures in NP. But I moraly cannot accept it. It is wrong from the African culture and moral point of view.

As I said, I totaly agree with all your arguments on efficiency and safety. But elephants should not be killed the most efficient way neither should the elephant be hunted the safest way.

In other words, I don't dispute it is the most efficient KILLING PROTOCOL, I just plain don't agree with it.

Regarding tying shoelaces, watch out, scientists such as Chyintia Moss can do much more than that!

Three scientists: Moss, Douglas Hamilton and Leackey were able to overide the entire culture of the Kenyan people. She was able to order the murder of Wakambas and Wadorobo people and became a hero for doing it!!! These type of people ordered the eviction of the Waliangulus from Tsavo National Parks and latter ordered them to be shot when they returned to Tsavo (Leackey policy on shoot on sight).

At the same time Cyntia camped and lived in these National Parks, in the homelands and hunting grounds of these people she helped to kill, with a lot of money raised from books telling urban people the story of elephants she named. The africans she killed did not have names!!!

Scientists writte from their cultural point of view. Most of the "elephant specialists" are fully aware that if they are in favor of hunting they wont get money from National Geographic, from the Amercian Science Foundation, the World Wide Fund, etc. They know they are not going to get a TV documentary on the air. They are boicotted. And so they just don't exist.

Scientists, like anybody else, tie their shoe laces in the way their parents did teach them. They are the product of their cultures. And the urban New Yorker culture will not save the Africa wilderness nor the elephants.

The NewYorker/London urban culture will create an environmental world order called "Totems and Temples".

"Totems": are animals that these scientists's religion, and their testaments (which they call "scientific papers") teach the kids should not be hunted nor eaten! Yes, they want to tell us which animals shall be eaten (fish, chicken) and which shall not.

"Temples" are the National Parks, and in some Kenyan Parks the visitor is not allowed to touch his feet on the ground!!! Yes, in several Parks you shall not leave the car and put one foot on the African earth. These hunting grounds stollen from the hunting cultures are not to be touched. It is called non-consumptive use of nature!!!

NON-CONSUMPTIVE means: you fly a jet that burns 30 tons of fuel on the upper atmosphere (destroying ozone), fills the land with trash, build huge hotels, build roads, drive thourgh the parks, take millions of tons of iron from mines to make cameras, and waste thousands of gallons of the most toxic chemicals to make cameras batteries and developing films. And then you conclude: we are non-consumptive turists!!!

These scientists themselves don't belive in what they say. Neither should we listen to half of what they say.

I don't accept scientists with such a dogmatic religion.

I don't accept scientists like some of my colleges who shoot animals for museums but in front of everybody are totally against the killing of any animal.

And it has all to do with culture, which political power, with twisted moral values from those who don't belong on the land, who dislike the wilderness and who created their culture in skyscrapers.

I love the greates Philosopher/Antropologist of the past two centuries, the great French Levi-Strauss. What he said about culture and progress should be explainde to those "scientists".

Dante

--------------------
Ddouble

DDouble
.300 member

#55593 - 24/04/06 11:24 AM

Sorry it was not Chasseur but Steve Shakari.

I had thanked Chasseur on a question I made on the other thread and incorrectly put his name at the beggining of my post.

--------------------
Ddouble

shakari
.400 member

#55609 - 24/04/06 04:02 PM

DDouble,

You make some good points - but I should say my comment about scientists was meant to be a little tongue in cheek...... Actually, I have a very good friend who's a scientist - and I'd trust him with my life!.....

However, I can't agree with your comment " It is wrong from the African culture and moral point of view". - (why?) I've seen a fair amount of Elephants that have survived culls and I've never seen one that isn't at the very least a little "disturbed". - They never seem to recover from the experience. I'm the last person in the world to want to allocate human emotions to animals but there is no doubt in my mind that they remember the experience. In fact, I'll go even further. I know of females that have been split from their family unit during translocation (half translocated and half left in the old area) and they are still loopy 10 + years after the experience............. Which is why I believe only entire family units should be taken out as part of the culling process. - Incidentally, I also have experience of an abandoned calf that somehow managed to survive on it's own - and that also is a very "odd" Elephant........... and sooner or later (IMO) will have to be shot.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (25/04/06 12:12 AM)

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #55610 - 24/04/06 04:40 PM

Shakari,

I also enjoy Thomson's wriing on the subject. His books were some of the first I read about Elephants.

From what I have read... In many places in Africa Elephants are very badly overpopulated. IMO they are heading for a huge die off. From my limited knowledge on the subject I believe that culling should take place. I also really belive it is a mistake to shoot/translocate parts of a herd of Elephant. It needs to be an entire herd or none at all.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

shakari
.400 member

Re: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question! [Re: bulldog563]
      #55612 - 24/04/06 05:16 PM

Bulldog563

I agree completely. Although from my experience translocations only work in the very shortest of terms......even when the entire unit is moved. The problem is that you're moving them from a big (albeit overpopulated) area to a smaller area. When they get there they start to breed, often at a faster rate than normal and that smaller area then gets overpopulated fairly quickly....... then you have the choice of splitting the family unit and culling or translocating half and leaving half or doing the same to the entire family unit...... neither option is in my opinion viable. Better to cull them in their original habitat in the first place.........

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

bulldog563
.400 member

#55614 - 24/04/06 05:58 PM

My feelings exactly.

What does Thomsons book "Wildlife Game" cover? is it mainly Elephant or game management in general?

--------------------

shakari
.400 member

#55616 - 24/04/06 06:45 PM

I think the best description would be that he writes about the management of African wildlife in general and Elephants in particular.........

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
      #55640 - 25/04/06 01:45 AM

The following is a radio program which was aired on CBC radio. The suggestion is that cull survivors are suffering from post traumatic stress. If the cull goes as planned - all members of the cull group are killed. What am I missing?

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/media/200603/20060302thecurrent_sec2.ram]

--------------------

Edited by Boomer (25/04/06 01:47 AM)

bulldog563
.400 member

Re: To cull or not to cull, easy bloody question! [Re: Boomer]
      #55658 - 25/04/06 07:40 AM

I have also heard that theory.

--------------------

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #55662 - 25/04/06 08:37 AM

Elephants die all the time from many different causes. I just don't see how an elephant death as a result of a hunter's bullet is any different than an elephants death by any other means so far as the social structure and interaction of the herd is concerned.

I don't doubt that elephants recognize that man is a predator and properly associate man with danger and become defensive, sometimes agressivelt so, when they detect a man nearby. But man has been killing elephants for millenia, we're more effective at it now for the last 110 years since the advent of nitro powder is the only difference.

I don't believe tuskless cows are more agressive than other cows because they are hunted more. The odds that the targeted tuskless will be killed when the range has been closed is good. The herd may recognize that one of their own was killed by a man and be more agressive as a whole. But that tuskless is likely dead and I just don't believe that elephants are astute enough to realize that its the tuskless amoungst them that are being killed by hunters.

I believe that tuskless elephants are more agressive because of the handicap they are forced to overcome with regard to feeding and fighting amoungst themselves.

JPK

shakari
.400 member

#55702 - 25/04/06 06:01 PM

Boomer,

I couldn't access the link, so can't comment. - However, I do firmly believe elephants are in a catagory of their own and learn & remember from both good and bad previous experience........ I've seen this proved by their behaviour on many occasions.

As to why tuskless Elephants are more aggressive than tusked ones, I think it's probably a combination of factors but as I'm not an Elephant I can't really comment further. To do so, would be pure speculation............

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (25/04/06 06:02 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ***
Topic views: 8972

You rated this topic a 4.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com