Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Saltwater crocodile hunting in the Territory?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Saltwater crocodile hunting in the Territory?
      #5416 - 05/12/03 04:04 PM

There have been spreading rumours spreading of an open season for sporting hunting being introduced for the NT saltwater crocodile.

Does anyone know any more on this? Is it being seriously looked at by the Territory government, especially considering its "Labor" orientation?

Also would you hunt a crocodile if given the chance?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Saltwater crocodile hunting in the Territory? [Re: NitroX]
      #5418 - 05/12/03 06:30 PM

You have to ask if anyone here would hunt a Croc?

I also heard from a friend that it could be reopened in some areas , by permit next June or so.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
      #5419 - 05/12/03 07:49 PM

There was some talk of hunting problem croc's on cattle stations. The stations can shoot croc's if they are killing stock. I have not heard much more about this, but will keep people posted if it goes ahead.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Saltwater crocodile hunting in the Territory? [Re: Bakes]
      #5423 - 06/12/03 01:07 AM

The skulls of some of the large salties make really impressive trophies. Also the skins as a flat skin wall display.

I wonder where the largest crocodiles or alligators come from? Which is reported to be the largest species?

Bakes

If you do hear anything, yes please let us know.

Mickey

Some hunters are keen to take a Nile Croc in Africa. For some reason they have never interested me. Probably because they can't be brought back here.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #5424 - 06/12/03 01:29 AM

I always readed about biggers crocs in Australia, but some africans said that Nile crocodiles are bigger. Now I'm not sure about it.

BTW. Later I'll post a pic of my 5+ meters long trophy nile croc.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Saltwater crocodile hunting in the Territory? [Re: 470Nitro]
      #5436 - 06/12/03 06:41 AM

The biggest croc ever taken was the thumper from Normanton in Qld Aus. there is a life size model there and you wont believe how friggin` big it is...this croc would kill any Nile croc just by looking at them he was that big..i cant remember offhand but was measured in at over 28 feet or more ....and yes Aspenhill a woman shot this croc too,how`s that for the ladys?
i will do some research shortly on this croc.
Oh yep i certainly would nail a croc but of course only those with plenty of money will be able to afford the prices if shooting is allowed unless they have a draw system of course to make it more reasonable.When i was in Karumba (nth qld) for 6 months i saw quite a lot of crocs but the big fella that was known there i never saw and i was on the river daily in the evenings fishing.....bet he knew i was there though ouch!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Saltwater crocodile hunting in the Territory? [Re: gryphon]
      #5437 - 06/12/03 06:45 AM

research complete ...try this link for a look at this croc ...aint he a big un too!
http://www.abc.net.au/outback/stories/s600876.htm

--------------------

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #5439 - 06/12/03 07:59 AM

Well, I little croc anyway.

Here's mine. "Just" 5 meters long.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

kos
.275 member

Reged: 14/01/03
      #5446 - 06/12/03 11:43 AM

personally i cannot see it happening ,some years ago on the ABC ,they talked about this ,Harry Butler ,said it was a good idea to remove problem crocs, by allowing big game hunters ,paying lots of money from overseas, to shoot them ,solve the problem and bring in valuable income for N.T .Then they interviewed some young upstart ,dilletante conservationist ,obviously lived all his life in the city with no idea of animal management ,apart from a dog and cat in his own backyard.NO WAY ,were they allowing any shooting of crocs ,and thats what happened .If these idiots had there way, we would all be vegetarians ,and the animals would eat themselves out of house and home ,and die out .With the Labour party running it [the territory ] who hate guns,hunting ,farmers,anyone they cant control and dominate, FAT CHANCE[not that any of the other parties are much better]

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Saltwater crocodile hunting in the Territory? [Re: kos]
      #5455 - 06/12/03 04:03 PM

My idea of conservation is to feed the "plastic urban monkeys" to the crocs.

Then hunt the "man"-eater.

Problem solved.

Kos

You are 100% right about these urban greenie turkeys. I once saw a programme on the ABC and joked about where it was going to end up. Unfunnily the end was exactly what I joked.

(Sarcasm turned on)

The scenario was how some award winning greenie wacko was going to save the world and end all pollution (except methane maybe) by suggesting how people should change their lifestyles.

He used a model of a suburban street with plastic houses, plastic trees, plastic cars, plastic grass even plastic monkeys - oops I mean plastic people.

He then suggested everyone should plow up their gardens to grow fruit and vegetables. Less reliance on outside food. That was fair enough I thought.

Then he removed the street itself. It now would be a 'communal' fish pond and 'communal' grazing for the 'milch' cows. I guess not 'beef' cows because no one would need to eat meat anymore with all those vegies and fruit growing on all those non-chemically sprayed 'organic' trees and plots.

Don't know where the pond water was going to come from, guess the effluent from the houses has to go somewhere. Hey, the effluent could feed the fishes and the fishes feed the people and the people feed the fishes again! Like eating sh*t .....

He took away the plastic factory. Because the 'communal' society would be largely self-sufficient. No need to commute to work, means no need for train lines, highways, buses, cars or any of these other unnecessary things. Walking trails would provide communication between the 'communal' utopias.

Now I thought what if I eat an apple with a worm in it and get sick. Or a sh*t eating fish. Or perhaps malaria from the stagnant fish pond, or typhoid, leprosy, yellow fever (all those lovely diseases modern society has mostly done away with).

No problem. No need for hospitals in this utopia because you would probably die being carried on your 'friendly' neighbours back before you got there anyway.

What had this genius created?
A stone age culture.
(Which by the way are the only examples in history of actually functioning truely 'communal' (ie communist) societies)

(Unfortunately the good much awarded genius professor rewarded me by advising exactly what I predicted the moron would end up with.)

Except in reality in that 'communal' peace loving paradise, this dude (ie me) has a gun and I will eat the 'milch' cows and rule.

As it should be. Meat eaters rule. Vegetarians are the prey. As it always has been and always will.

(OK sarcasm turned back off.)

Yes feed the 'plastic monkeys' to the crocs and hunt the crocs. Best natural result for all beast and mankind.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Saltwater crocodile hunting in the Territory? [Re: 470Nitro]
      #5456 - 06/12/03 04:07 PM

In reply to:

Poster: 470Nitro
Subject: Re: Saltwater crocodile hunting in the Territory?

Well, I little croc anyway.

Here's mine. "Just" 5 meters long.

Sorry - got off topic and started to rant.

470nitro

He is beautiful.

If we get a season down-under, you will have to add a Salty to go with him. Perfect bookends

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kos
.275 member

Reged: 14/01/03
      #5457 - 06/12/03 04:55 PM

i think one of the biggest problems is that ''polititical correctness''[caused alot in part, by the feminist ''soft movement''] has over taken common sense ,there is no longer sensible [or accepted sensble utilisation of natural animal resources]cattle ,sheep ,pigs ,chooks are not endangered because they are managed ,because they have economic value to humans .there survival is ENSURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Humans, NOW, have domination over ALL the natural world,and wildlife CAN be managed sensibly,BUT try to tell luny animal lovers this ,you might as well throw rocks at the sun.its a matter of trying to re educate every ignorant'' joe aveverage'' who has been mindlessly brain washed by the media.its a bit like Germany in the 1930s when ,the masses where Mega deluded into believing Jews were not the flavour of the 1940s and you know the story .Now people look back and say how bad it was, but these nuts want to ruin the economy ,ecology,us ,everything again, what do you do??????????????????????????????????????? the same idiots will say the same thing in 50 years time ,oh dear!!!!!

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Saltwater crocodile hunting in the Territory? [Re: kos]
      #5465 - 07/12/03 08:04 AM

Talking Harry B, i had an ale with him at his house back in the `70`s and he had a croc skull there that if i remember rightly was about three bloody feet long...........wished i could have had it for a wall hanger,it super impressed me when i was a just a raw dude

--------------------

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #5519 - 08/12/03 11:43 PM

I would definitly hunt one if it were allowed. More importantly, if I could afford it too.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
      #6056 - 23/12/03 09:11 AM

Photos dont show the real size do they. I saw a replica of a 28 footer (at a croc farm in Cairns)which was shot in Karumba by the woman and 28" looks a lot bigger when you you see how bloody high and wide they are. going from 20 foot to 28 foot must double the weight when you take into account the width and hieght

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Saltwater crocodile hunting in the Territory? [Re: cr500]
      #6059 - 23/12/03 11:56 AM

Of course realistically the greens wont allow it to happen.

Print Email
Last Update: Monday, December 22, 2003. 4:39pm (AEDT)
NT croc population stabilising: Parks Service
The Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife Service says the number of crocodiles in the Top End is beginning to plateau after a record number were caught in Darwin Harbour this year.

The Service says the number of saltwater crocodiles caught in Darwin Harbour is a snapshot of the total number of the reptiles in the Top End.

Director of Wildlife Management Dave Lawson says 183 crocodiles were taken from the harbour this year, a rise of 63 per cent on the yearly average, and that there are about 60,000 to 80,000 crocodiles in the Territory.

"We have the management zone, there which is obviously quite unique, as we don't have a management zone anywhere else in the Territory," he said.

"If the population overall increases you will expect overall more animals to drift into the harbour."
AND HERE IS SOME MORE NEWS........

Home > National News > Article
Man killed by crocodile
December 23, 2003

Print this article
Email to a friend

A 22-year-old man has been killed by a saltwater crocodile in a Northern Territory river.

The man's two friends have told police the four-metre croc dragged their friend Brett Mann under the Finniss River at 5pm (CST) on Sunday.

The trio had been trail bike riding in the area, about 80km from Darwin, and Mr Mann had waded into the river to clean his trail bike, while his two 19-year-old mates were washing down their bikes on the river bank.

Mr Mann was taken by the crocodile as his horrified and helpless mates watched on, Darwin police sergeant Erica Sims said.

The younger men swam into the river in a desperate bid to help their mate.

But they quickly scrambled up a tree in the middle of the river as the croc - with Mr Mann's remains in its jaws - moved towards them.

The two 19-year-olds stayed in the tree for 22 hours as the croc "stalked" them, Sgt Sims said.

At home, and worried the trio had not returned from their trip by 7pm, one of the men's girlfriends alerted police the party was overdue.

Officers went to the area and found the vehicle in which the men had taken the trail bikes to the bush.

Soon after, they found the terrified men clinging to the tree.

A rescue helicopter plucked them from the tree on Monday afternoon, and they were taken to Royal Darwin Hospital where they were treated for shock and hypothermia, Sgt Sims said.

Police and marine and fisheries officers would start searching for the crocodile, and Mr Mann's body, this morning.

Mr Mann was from Howard Springs, about 40 km south of Darwin.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#6769 - 11/01/04 03:35 AM

In the news

Croc expert wants Govt to approve safari hunts
A Northern Territory crocodile expert says it is sad the Federal Government does not appear to understand the benefits safari hunts for saltwater crocodiles could bring.

The Northern Territory Government says Federal Government officials have already indicated they do not support a proposal to allow experienced safari operators to take clients into the wild to hunt these reptiles as trophies.

The idea is part of a Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife Service draft management plan for saltwater crocodiles released in November last year.

Professor Graham Webb from Charles Darwin University, who owns a reptile park in Darwin, has rejected Federal Government claims safari hunts would reduce the crocodile population's sustainability.

"There is no scientific or biological, there is not one qualified scientist or biologist in the world who would claim that this has anything other than a very positive benefit for the landowners, for incentives to conserve crocodiles," he said.

NT asks Commonwealth for croc hunting approval
The Northern Territory Government says it will lobby the Federal Government to support a proposal to hunt saltwater crocodiles for the first time since 1971.

The Territory Parks and Wildlife Service released a draft plan on the management of crocodiles in November last year, recommending hunting be trialled.

But to go ahead, the plan needs Federal Government approval.

The proposal involves experienced safari operators being allowed to hunt 25 saltwater crocodiles greater than four metres in length from the existing 600 adult animal removal quota.

The Territory's Parks and Wildlife Minister, Chris Burns, says he has already heard from Environment Department officials that the Federal Government is not in favour of the idea.

"I don't think they are very much in favour of it so we will have to do a bit of lobbying on this," he said.

"Obviously we have to talk them through the issue."

A spokeswoman for federal Environment Minister David Kemp says he is still examining the draft plan.

She says in the past, the Government has considered the safari hunting of saltwater crocodiles as a breach of the international convention on international trade in endangered species.

The spokeswoman says that convention is in place to keep crocodile numbers at a sustainable level.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3041

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com