Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speed Sporter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Caprivi]
      #119292 - 21/11/08 10:03 PM

1926 manton, lee speed for the 8x50R mannlicher aka .315 india

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (03/12/08 11:20 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: lancaster]
      #119298 - 22/11/08 12:28 AM

this one http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=2011001&PHPSESSID=86442d3912f9cad6ce053c05bcc01ccd
cost only 10,99 just now, will see what it will go next 3 weeks

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (03/12/08 11:21 PM)

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #119329 - 22/11/08 03:29 PM

Why rework the later action ?
other than strength wouldn,t it be easier to find a Lee Speed - Lee Enfield - action & rework that !
or are these harder to find & or more expensive ?
I ask as I have just had a Lee Speed in my hands and liked it a lot & have now found a cheap Lee Enfield 1892 rifle ,also a Lee Speed action !

Thanks for the great tips and photos , but wish I hadn,t seen them now LOL

FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Sarg]
      #119422 - 24/11/08 02:56 PM

Sarg, will try and answer your question. In close to 40 years I've never seen in person a lee speed sporter. Having said that since coming here, a lot of good folks have been most generous in posting pictures of their lee speeds. For that I'm very grateful, and probably never have the bucks to actually get one. As far as reworking another enfield action, I'm currently doing some reworking on a jungle carbine receiver. Reason is that its been sitting neglected in the bottom of one of my storage cabinets for who knows how long. Was given to me many years ago. And being parsimonious (cheap) decided to use it. Have a barrel blank with 1x12 twist in .375 caliber. So by now you can guess where this is going. Have a bunch of .303 brass and will be a .303 british case necked up to .375 caliber. Still have a lot of work, like getting a finish reamer made, locating some nice #4 MK1 wood, and a lot of parts. Regards,Frank

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: FrankS]
      #119455 - 25/11/08 06:36 AM

you are so cruel.
I tryed not to read this thread, but toaday I could not resist.
Some years ago (12-15) I did not buy a BSA .303 at $500.- for a NEF .270 Win. thinking I have more use for the later.
How can I be so stupid!!!!!!
MEA CULPA.

Beautifull rifles.
Martin

FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: beleg2]
      #120133 - 03/12/08 07:49 AM

beleg2, I have never seen a lee speed sporter. Even when I went to the Houston gun show in texas. And you'd think that in a show that size you'd see at least one, nope, nada,nyet and zip. That show usually advertises that they have 2000 tables. My feet still hurt whenever I think about how many times I criss crossed the asiles. I can't hunt anymore due to pain in my feet and legs. It will take some time to get all the bits and pieces I need. And being financially challenged doesn't help either.
So for now have both the receiver and bolt cleaned up. And have a line on a couple #1MKIII cocking pieces. Slowley but shurely plodding along. Regards Frank

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: FrankS]
      #122026 - 23/12/08 10:58 PM

time for an updat: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=2011001&PHPSESSID=86442d3912f9cad6ce053c05bcc01ccd

rifle was sold for 451 euro

--------------------

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
      #122064 - 24/12/08 02:44 AM

Still a good price if the bore was useable. Would have no idea how to import it thou.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Caprivi]
      #122065 - 24/12/08 03:33 AM

A bit overpriced for a hacked up military bubba, don't you think? The only thing on it that seems to have any connection with Lee Speed sporters is the barrel and express sights. Even the wood is military. The barrel has the triangle mark characteristic of Westley Richards' fixed barrels. But why would WR rebarrel a military surplus gun? And wouldn't they have fitted a nicer front sight? It could be this one was built up from parts of various rifles. Perhaps the owner simply wanted to replace the barrel on his homemade sporter and found one from a WR sporter. I cannot imagine that buying a barrel from WR would have been very economical (considering the low overall value of the gun), not when replacements from BSA and Parker Hale were available.

If the buyer wanted a knockabout shooter and they fancied that particular "pistol grip," more power to'em. I do hope he plugs those volley sight holes, so the gun can lose its gap-toothed smile!

Merry Christmas all,
Gap-toothed JC

P.S. Hey Lancaster, could you please confirm that your Manton catalogue is indeed from 1926? I have a reprint dated 1926-27 and the page on BSA sporters looks different than the one you shared above. Thanks!

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

Edited by jc5 (24/12/08 03:35 AM)

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: jc5]
      #122073 - 24/12/08 05:13 AM

no, sorry, its the 1825-1925 centenary catalog

--------------------

GaryD
.224 member

Reged: 14/10/08
Loc: SK, Canada
      #123053 - 05/01/09 02:54 PM

It was likely professionally sported (although the unplugged holes for the rear volley sights are questionable. Looks a lot like my 1897 MLE done up in Lee Speed STYLE. I wouldn't call a professionally sported job bubba'd, but certainly worth a lot less than an actual Lee Speed. All said I bought mine for $175.00 CDN. The bore is only marginal however and it did need the muzzle reshaped and to be re-crowned, but that cost me all of $30.

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: GaryD]
      #123576 - 10/01/09 09:56 AM

Well I have just received most of my bits to make up a Lee Speed type sporter , I got keen on one after getting a nice Lee Speed sporter for one of our members here , it has a heavy barrel that is still shiney & shoots 308 size bullets into small groups (only have 308 size bullets right now)

Here are photos of start , I will post some later as more work is done !

Edited by CptCurl (15/11/10 11:17 PM)

jc5
.300 member

#123612 - 10/01/09 02:33 PM

So far so good! Congrats!

How about sharing some details?

Where are the holes for the rear volley sight?
Is it a cavalry carbine action with the markings ground off? Or did the action come from an actual sporter?

Where in the world did you find a spare BSA express sight?

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

Sarg
.400 member

#123613 - 10/01/09 03:35 PM

The volley sight holes had been filled when I got it , I had the choice of this or Lee Speed Carbine action (had 7 holes in the side of action for scope mounts) which most of the sporters were made on as no volley sight on them .
I was going to get it engrave to but don't trust that fill job to be the same colour when blued .
It can be done prefectly by making a rod out of a wrecked action of the same era .

We have lots of old Metford type rifles here in NZ , most are buggered from 100 years of dickheads messing with them & nearly all the barrels are ruined , I was lucky to get a late model heavy barrel ,like new & not drilled for rear sight.

Well yes the sight was the clincher in the deal of bits I did in trade (we poor people trade a lot)
from a chap who has stuff from God knows where !

Looks like it came from a Gunsmith who rebarreled a Lee Sporter and had the sight spare ?

Having said that I might make a quarter rib because of the big steep in the barrel knox .

This is a practise rifle till I find a minty action or cheap Lee Speed sporter with the tang safty !

Thanks for the interest .

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #124024 - 14/01/09 02:15 PM

Found a couple Lee Speeds online. Yes, I have caught the bug too!
The Alex Martin at 700GBP here is neat:
http://www.wdlr.org.uk/stensby/firearms.htm

Also, another which I am buying - more on this later...
Wondering, are there similar import restrictions on these that plague Mauser sporter collectors?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Huvius]
      #124031 - 14/01/09 03:55 PM

Well, I picked up another goodie for the collection. A Lee Speed by B.S.A.Co. converted at some point to C.L.L.E., although it is an original sporter. Better photos to come.

DRAT!!! Tried to upload some photos & no luck. HELP!!!

Huvius
.416 member

Re: Lee Speed Sporter [Re: Old_rifle_nut]
      #124033 - 14/01/09 03:59 PM

You can email the pics to me and I will post them for you.
PM sent
What is C.L.L.E. ?

--------------------

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

#124034 - 14/01/09 04:08 PM

C.L.L.E. (Clip Loading Lee Enfield)

What is your email address?

Thx, Jim

jc5
.300 member

#124038 - 14/01/09 05:01 PM

Charger Loading Lee Enfield. (Clip = charger)

--------------------

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

#124045 - 14/01/09 05:59 PM

Here are some of the details of my newest acquisition; a No. 2 pattern B.S.A. Co. manufactured Lee Enfield.

I believe it is a No. 2 pattern as it does not have a barrel rib or engraving (the hallmarks of a No. 1 Model), however, it does have the flat top, swept-back carbine type bolt handle, as well as a horn fore-end cap and horn pistol-grip cap and is well chequered.

The rifle is fitted with a 21 ½” round barrel. The top of the Knox form, which is of Enfield, and not Metford type, has the standard 3 stacked rifles BSA logo on it, while the left side of the barrel has the standard 1916 era Birmingham proof marks thereon. The top of the barrel, ahead of the rear sight, is inlaid with silver (platinum?) and inscribed: Proved & Sighted for the Mark VII .303 High Velocity Cartridge (As shown in “A Lee Speed Sporter, B.S.A. Co. turn-of-the-century quality” article in Arms & Militaria Collector No. 22)

The receiver, which is marked B.S.A. Co. on the right action strap, is fitted with a Lyman receiver sight of unknown model (PA July 11-1911) and the Mk III SMLE charger bridge (an extra cost of 3/9).

The bolt dust shroud was removed, along with its locking lugs, likely when the charger loading guide was fitted. The rear sight is the standard B.S.A. cape sight, i.e., 1 standing 100 yard leaf, folding leaves for 200 and 300 yards & a flip up ladder sight for 400 to 1,000 yards, however, the fixed 100 yard leaf was removed, likely at the same time as the peep sight was fitted. The front sight appears to be of military type, although the bead appears to be a platinum bead.

The rifle carries the standard 5 round fish-belly magazine. Does anyone know what the two holes at the bottom rear of the magazine are for?

The stock is fitted with the large eye sling swivel studs, the front of which is used to attach the front barrel band. The rifle also came with an original reddish-brown canvas sling, with brass furniture (2” wide) and the original sling swivel hooks!). The LOP is 14”. There is what appears to be a 1 shilling silver coin (GEORGE V KING EMPEROR) let into the right had side of the stock, along with a small compass, that actually points North. The old recoil pad is rotted and will be replaced with an original silvers Anti-Recoil pad, hopefully leather-covered.

Unfortunately, the rifle is not fitted with the BSA sliding tang safety; it is fitted with the Long Lee type bolt-mounted safety, nor with the Punchard’s magazine filler lever attachment, which I believe was superseded by the addition of the charger loading guide.

The only serial number that I have been able to locate is on the rear action strap on the right-hand side, which carries the same number as the bolt handle.

After cleaning the bore for 7 days with Wipe-Out, (my favourite bore-cleaner for the past 2 years) the patches have finally quit coming out with big hunks of blue goop on them and are now clean. The bore is almost pristine :-))

Now, if it would only warm up a bit, as I don’t much relish the thought of going to the range, with –40 C temps.

Hopefully, I can figure out how to upload some photos of her.

jc5
.300 member

#124056 - 14/01/09 06:57 PM

Well, congratulations! Can't wait to see pics of that beauty.

Is there a space in the receiver on the left-hand side for a rotating safety lever like you'd see on a MkIII SMLE? Or is the left side smooth like a cavalry carbine? If the former, your rifle was probably fitted with the charger bridge as an optional extra by customer request.

Later commercial Lee Enfields from BSA were made on the SMLE pattern and had the rotating safety lever on the receiver just like their military MkIII counterparts.

The 21" barrel is unusual, though this could have been specified by the customer as well.

Does the knox resemble an SMLE or a Long Lee?

Pictures will tell us a lot.

Again, congrats!

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

#124090 - 15/01/09 02:34 AM

Old Rifle Nut's photos:

Edited by CptCurl (15/11/10 11:19 PM)

Huvius
.416 member

#124095 - 15/01/09 03:19 AM

There seems to be great variation in these sporters, and I am trying to get to know what to look for in a Lee Speed.
Generally, what is the most desireable configuration?
I see now what the CLLE is and the one above has what I have seen called the "fish belly" charger.
Is this, then, the five round charger for a .303?
What would be the capacity of the fixed magazine version such as the Manton in the catalog picture posted earlier? Is it indeed fixed?
I ask, because the one I just bought is exactly like the Manton except in .303. I won't have it in my hands until next week. Can't wait!

--------------------

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

#124097 - 15/01/09 03:34 AM

JCS.

Thank you.

As for your ?',s I will try to answer as best as I can.

Re: Is there a space in the receiver on the left-hand side for a rotating safety lever like you'd see on a MkIII SMLE? Or is the left side smooth like a cavalry carbine? If the former, your rifle was probably fitted with the charger bridge as an optional extra by customer request.

I believe this to be a Metford or Long Lee receiver, given the bolt mounted safety, and the 2 small holes that were filled, as compared to several of my later B.S.A. Lee sporters, which were built on the Rifle, Short, Magazine, Lee Enfield Mk I, which had the roatating side safety. Also, the magazine has a moveable feed lip riveted to its right hand, as I have seen in several other Long Lee rifles. I believe the charger was fitted as an optional extra as I had mentioned in my descriptive post above, i.e. "and the Mk III SMLE charger bridge (an extra cost of 3/9)."

Re: Later commercial Lee Enfields from BSA were made on the SMLE pattern and had the rotating safety lever on the receiver just like their military MkIII counterparts.

The welded-up holes on the left action strap are just 2 small holes & are not like the larger safety holes / cut-outs as on the SMLE.

Re: The 21" barrel is unusual, though this could have been specified by the customer as well.

Possibly, but unknown. Upon further inspection, the front sight is made for ther Cole's front sight protector, which is, alas, no longer there.

Re: Does the knox resemble an SMLE or a Long Lee?

As I also mentioned in my original post, the barrel has a SMLE knox form, not a Metford, or Long Lee knox form.

I still believe it is a #2 pattern because of the swept-back bolt handle & the sporter style stock, with horn fore-end & pistol-grip cap, and the fact the butt-stock is not of a military or semi-military pattern, as was the case for #3 or #4, or #4b patterns, but rather is patterned after the #1 or #2 sporter patterns, however, I may be mistaken.

Jim

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

#124098 - 15/01/09 03:38 AM

Thanks for posting my pics. I have just taken a bunch more, as well as some from some of my other B.S.A. sporters.

Jim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 72514

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com