Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM??
      #52911 - 21/03/06 01:23 PM

I have decided that the 300 WSM and 338 WM would make a good combo for Plains Game.

What bullets would anyone suggest for the variety of animals encountered? Why? We are talking antelope to wildebeast to Zebra to Kudu to Eland etc. I handload so multiple combinations are possible. Any pet loads out there for those tough african animals?

After all is said and done it is the bullet that does the work. An accurate rifle is merely the launching pad!!!

Thanks again for all the input .It is very much appreciated.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Re: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #52917 - 21/03/06 02:34 PM

Here's my simple answer:

I've used the 180 gr. Nosler Partition and the 180 gr. Winchester Fail-Safe for all of the African hunting I've done with the 300 Win. Mag., and this includes everything from dik dik to eland, plus Cape buffalo, lion and leopard. You don't need anything heavier that 180 grs., but DO use a PREMIUM bullet. You can go with the 180 Nosler Partition or Partition Gold, Swift A-Frame, Barnes TSX, Trophy Bonded, etc. They're all good, so go with the one that shoots best out of your rifle.

The same thing would apply to the 338 Win. Mag. In this case, you can go with any premium 225 gr. or 250 gr. bullet and be in excellent shape. I know a lot of guys use only the 250 gr. Nosler Partition for all of their African plainsgame hunting, plus cats, and in some cases even Cape buffalo. This year, I'm using the 225 gr, Barnes TSX for all of my plainsgame hunting with the 338 Win. Mag.

Just don't go with some tin-foil bullet such as the Sierra Game King, Hornady, Speer Hot Core or Grand Slam, Nosler Ballistic Tip, etc.

Bullet construction counts for a whole heck of a lot more than a few fractions of an inch in group size. You're hunting big game, after all, and not western ground squirrels or statistics.

If I had a choice between a 250 gr. Swift A-Frame that shot 1.25" groups, or a 250 Sierra that shot half-inch groups, I'd take the Swift load in a heartbeat and not look back............

AD

markhyoung
.224 member

Reged: 31/10/05
Loc: Cody, WY, USA
Re: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM?? [Re: allenday]
      #53023 - 22/03/06 12:15 PM

hoppdoc

As usual Allen has covered the bases. Personally I I like the 250 NP in the 338 if for no other reason than it makes a bigger hole than any of the 30's. Also I have never had the nagging feeling that perhaps I don't have quite enough gun to take that bad angle shot. I also like the 300 WM and have shot a bunch of stuff with the 180 SAF. In the WSM it should work nearly as well. If the 180 NP works in your rifle you might want t to try it too as I think you might get quicker kills.

As Allen stated leave the Ballistic Tips, Sierras etc. at home. I'd much prefer a solid to any of those quick expanding wonder bullets.

Mark

--------------------
Mark H. Young
ADAM CLEMENTS SAFARI TRACKERS INC.
WORLDWIDE BIG GAME, WINGSHOOTING AND PHOTO SAFARIS
www.safaritrackers.com
Office 1-307-587-6372
FAX 1-307-587-3385

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM?? [Re: markhyoung]
      #53093 - 23/03/06 02:37 AM

Allen and Mark, two experienced African hunters with far more experience than I, have given sage advice.

I just thought I'd mention that I have used Woodleigh RN bullets on two trips (in 2002 & 2005) to South Africa and I have been very pleased with their performance on plains game.

I used them in the following cartridges and bullet weights (all handloads):

.30-06 - 220 gr Woodleigh RN at 2460 fps.
8x57JS - 220 gr Woodleigh RN at 2400 fps.
9.3x62 - 286 gr Woodleigh RN at 2390 fps.

All performed flawlessly.

-Bob F.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #53096 - 23/03/06 02:49 AM

Allen, Mark, and Bob have presented some very sound advise. I like a heavy for caliber bullet because IMO, they usually offer a higher sectional density, and when loaded to appropriate velocities, will outpenetrate lighter bullets. All of the brands mentioned will get the job done when put in the proper place.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM?? [Re: allenday]
      #53191 - 23/03/06 10:50 PM

Thanks all for the info, advice, and insights from actual african hunting experience. Discussing African bullet choice can be critical !! Inferior bullets will ruin a hunt!! African animals have a deserved tough rep.

My bullet experience is limited to US big game but is interesting. My good freind Bob has hunted used different bullets with different results as well. Not extensive experience at all but interesting.

I have primarily used the Nosler Partition/Barnes X bullets in the past and they have been great on deer , elk, and moose with the NP loosing a signifigant portion of weight after impact(non bonded) and the X bullet tissue destruction being devastating with mostly complete penetration but loosing some petals retained in the large animals. My hunting buddies failsafes were very accurate but he never recovered one as they penetrated completely like a FMJ or solid. The wound channels just didn't seem to open up like the X bullets and the animals weren't as impressed with the hit as with his current bullet.He now uses the Nosler Accubond bullets in his 300 Mag.

Swift A frames are great and hit big bear like a jackhammer.They are bonded and very accurate in my 338.I prefer them over the NP because of the bonding/weight retention but Dead is Dead and the NP has worked great in my 300 mags.

African game is "tough" by reputation and I am leaning toward Barnes new MRX bullet for accuracy, expansion, and deep penetration in the 300 Mag.It has their copper X tip with a polymer insert and the rear of the failsafe/Swift A Frame/NP bullets with a tunsten insert. Their bullet promo stuff says the bullet rearward balance helps long range accuracy. We'll see. On the 338 I would just stay with the bonded Swift A Frame, kinda like a NP on steroids.I am tempted to go with the Barnes new MRX bullet but don't want to change from a winner.The Swift is plently tough enough.

Any thoughts or experience indicating other "better" bullets out there?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2602

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com