Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Help with caliber choice

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Help with caliber choice
      #52774 - 19/03/06 03:01 PM

So I want to have a custom bolt rifle built. It will be a bigbore for Africa and I want to keep it as classic as possible. The cartridges I have cut the list down to at the moment are the 416 Rigby, 500 Jeff and 505 Gibbs. What do you guys think? The rifle will be my primary big bore bolt rifle and will see most of its use in Africa.

I guess I am asking about people experiences with the different rounds. What are the differences between the 500 and the 505? Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated. I have not decided if I want to go with a big bore (416) or a BIG BORE (500,505) so any advice welcomed.

It will be your standard African rifle in Wood and Blue. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Help with caliber choice [Re: bulldog563]
      #52777 - 19/03/06 03:32 PM

The difference between the 500 and the 505 is bore size. The 505 Gibbs is a true .505" grove to grove, and takes byullets of that size. Whereas the 500 is actually sized .510" grove to grove, and takes bullets of that size!

But the Jeffery and the Gibbs should be perfect for all dangerious game anywhere in the world!

I have only shot the Gibbs so I cannot comment on any of the others! The Gibbs is awsome!!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

KennethI
.224 member

Reged: 08/09/05
Loc: Southern California
      #52778 - 19/03/06 03:53 PM

Have you shot all of them? It would be good to experience what each cartridge is like. All of the calibers you listed will do their job in the field, it is up to you to decide if you can do your part with the caliber you choose. Have you also weighed brass availibility, bullet selection, feeding issues,... characteristic to each caliber?

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Help with caliber choice [Re: KennethI]
      #52779 - 19/03/06 04:32 PM

Bulldog,

I own and have shot both. On game you won't see any difference if you do your part.

For nostalgia reasons go with 505 Gibbs. It is a lovely round.

For practicality reasons, go with 500 Jeff.
By practicality reasons, I mean SLIGHTLY EASIER brass availibility
and the number of bullets available in .510".

Feeding issues are NOT an issue if the gunsmith does his job.
Just make sure he sets up the feed ramp for both RN and more pointed bullets
like the Woodleih protected point.

Also, try to pick an action that will give you 4 shots total - 1 in the chamber, 3 in the Mag.

Heaps of 500 Jeff and a few 505 Gibbs have been built in Australia, copies from the
original 500 Jeffrey's that used to be here.

PM me if you want more details.

500 Nitro

PS - I am thinking of selling my Left Handed 500 Jeffrey if you are a Left Hander.

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Help with caliber choice [Re: 500Nitro]
      #52784 - 19/03/06 05:12 PM

I own, use and love my .500 Jeffery, but I think you need to decide what you plan to use the rifle for. If it's general African hunting then (IMO) the .416 or .404 make a better choice than the .500s. The .500s are absolutely tremendous short range charge stoppers but they do have appreciably more bullet drop than either of the other two calibres I mentioned.

Don't think it's impossible to take a long shot with a .500 - it's not, but it's a damn sight easier with a .416 etc......

If of course, you primarily want a charge stopper or you're pretty damn sure you'll only shoot it at closeish range or a rifle to shoot just for fun, then the .500s would be a better choice...... Hell, just buy one of each!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #52803 - 20/03/06 01:53 AM

I'd likely go with the 416 Rigby. It seems to be a lot easier to come up with ammo and brass for the Rigby, plus it's flatter-shooting, kicks less, and offers more versatility.

The 416s are good killers in their own right..........

AD

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Help with caliber choice [Re: allenday]
      #52817 - 20/03/06 06:23 AM

I'm with Allenday on his choice given the suggested rounds. It has the range and all the power necessary from the hunter's standpoint and will be easier to shoot accurately.
: My personal choice would be the old .375 H&H, given the wonderful choice of bullets available today.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #52822 - 20/03/06 08:06 AM

If I were wishing a classic African flavor rifle, only hunting occasionally with it, and was dropping $$$Heavy Coin, the 416 Rigby would definitely get the nod.

If I am going to hunt extensively with the rifle and carry that bad boy for hours/hours then I would personally choose a 416 Rem because of the lighter action, lighter weight and similar ballistics to the 416 Rigby.I like the African Dakota 416 Rem alot.

Personally I would get a Dakota 416 Rem, not a classic but a good working heavy for a bolt rifle.I always try use my heavies as much as possible and I could enjoy it and still hunt that rifle hard.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (20/03/06 08:12 AM)

**DONOTDELETE**

#52874 - 21/03/06 04:01 AM

bulldog563,

Have used all three of the cartridges you mentioned, I would recommend either of the 500s (500 Jeffer or 505 Gibbs) over the 416. If you keep ranges to under 200 yards you will not need to worry about trajectory differences between the three, and the 500s kill far far better (with proper placement of course). I use mine for almost all my hunting and have no issue with shooting out to ~ 300 yards.

The recoil argument, in my opinion anyway, is grossly over-rated. As proof of that last statement I offer this. A friend of mine recently fired my 500 for the first time (fired two rounds, flinched badly on number one as he feared for his life, and hit the target with shot #2 once he realized he was still alive) and commented that it was more pleasent to shoot than his 338 Win mag. Now he was shooting a 450gr Barnes Original at 2300 fps (mild mild load), but that 500 still knocked his shoulder back about 4 inches more than is 338 (he also took a step backward something which just doesn't happen with the 338) and he still said it felt better to shoot. Heck he wanted to shoot it more, but alas I was out of ammo.

Sorry for being so long winded.

Scott

Nickudu
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
      #52886 - 21/03/06 08:10 AM

I would first heed Kenneth 1's suggestion to try them on for size and take it from there. There is no question the Rigby is the more useful round and likely, the more saleable, should things come to that. I can think of no cartridges I have not fired other than one or three of the Nitro-Express rounds. I can tell you it is best to "work up" to .50 caliber, rather than leaping from .375 to the .500 Jeffery, for example. Generally, the recoil thresholds from .375 to .416 Rigby to .458 Lott to a .500 are very distinct and taking the plunge too early has ruined many a Big bore candidate. Borrow some guns, test the waters .. you'll make a better decision.

bulldog563
.400 member

#52932 - 21/03/06 07:16 PM

500 Nitro,

I didn't know you were a lefty. I will pm you about the gibbs.

Gibbs505,

How is the bullet selction for your 505?

Shakari,

Don't I wish I could get one of each. Sadly that isn't the case.

Allen, Daryl, hoppdoc

You do bring up good points and I have thought about those issues myself. I probably should have made it clearer in my earlier post but I have a 375 H&H already that my dad normally uses and think that if I need to take a longer shot then I feel comfortable with the 500's I could use the 375.

Nikudu, Kenneth,

I know what you mean about the recoil levels and knowing what you are getting into but I have no problem shooting a 458 WM so I think I shouldn't have any problem with the Rigby and figure I can work up to the Jeff or Gibbs and worst case I will put a mercury tube in it.

Scott,

I would be very interested to hear your experiences with the different rounds. Which 500 did you like better for whatever reason? Was the difference on game noticeable at all between the two? As far as recoil which of the 500's was worse? I know the factory stats show the Jeffery to be more powerful but what I am interested in is percieved recoil (ie. sharp, push, etc)

To everyone,

Those who have owned any of the three, how much did the rifles weigh?

What about case design. Isn't the gibbs case design superior to the Jeffery because of the Jeff's rebated rim, limited powder capacity and shorter neck? I have heard of handloads with the gibbs achieving 600gr@2578fps and 700gr@2260fps but apparently because of the short neck on the Jeff it is a real challenge to get heavier projectiles in without sacrificeing powder capacity. While I doubt I will ever have the need to go outside of factory specs it is nice to know it is there and if I can stand the recoil it would be fun to give it a shot.

I really go back and forth multiple times daily on which cartridge I want to use. The 416 would be great and definitely a step up from the 375 but the 500's really interest me. I know they are all great rounds and have their pros and cons so I need to decide which one I will enjoy the most.

I have been having trouble finding the ballistics for the 500's... Anyone know where I could find one, especially for the trajectory? I found one that said the 500 Jeffery was at -2.99" @150yards but would like to see it out to 300 for both. The 416 table I found said the 416 drops anywhere from 10-12" @300yards w/ 400 gr projectiles of different makes @2400fps and is zero @200 yards.

Any and all comments appreciated.

--------------------

bulldog563
.400 member

#52933 - 21/03/06 07:18 PM

Anyone have pics of an original 505gibbs, 500 Jeffery or 416 Rigby?

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #52937 - 21/03/06 08:05 PM

bulldog:
In reply to:

I have been having trouble finding the ballistics for the 500's

Sounds like you need to generate them for yourself!
Go to HuntingNut.com and download the Point-Blank Ballistic software package for free!
Then you can really have some fun!

ps: If you want the Woodleigh bullet data to add to Point-Blank, let me know. Pretty sure I've still got it up on the web somewhere...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

500Nitro
.450 member

#52938 - 21/03/06 08:10 PM

bulldog563

I've got an Original 505 Gibbs.

By the way, I'm not a lefty, I can shoot both ways
from practice and in the field where I have needed to
change shoulders to shoot at Animals although I am
a damn sight better Right Handed (except when on a
bipod)

Re the Velocities - personally, there is no need to push
the bullets that fast - if it is possible - but also I think
the majority of people would end up scared of the gun.

Re 570 / 600gn bullets in 500 Jeff - it's not a problem,
a bit of powder compression. With the various powders
available now you could probably get away with another
powder that doesn't need compression.

Re trajectory - out to 150 - 200 - just hold and shoot
- out past here you just need to hold a bit high but personally
I wouldn't like to shoot at unwounded game past 200 yards
or even 150 yds.

500 Nitro

bulldog563
.400 member

#52940 - 21/03/06 08:58 PM

Marakai,

Thanks for the link.

500Nitro,

Do you know the weight of your gibbs? Any pictures? How do you find the recoil compared to a 500NE or a 458 WM? What do you generally load it to and what grain bullets?

I agree with everything you said but it just seems like the gibbs can cover anything the Jeffery can do and more. Also there is the rebated rim and short neck which really aren't a big deal but if I am going to build a rifle I might as well go with the Gibbs as it has a few advantages over the Jeff. Does the Jeff have any advantages over the gibbs besides the shorter length and marginally easier to get brass and components? Honestly they are both great rounds and if I saw a Jeffery the way I want it I wouldn't even think twice but because it will most likely be a build I can nit pick the small details.

--------------------

bulldog563
.400 member

#52941 - 21/03/06 09:01 PM

Those that have fired both the Jeffery and the Gibbs, is the recoil roughly the same? Which is more pleasant to shoot?

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#52943 - 21/03/06 09:14 PM

bulldog563

I don't know the weight of the Gibbs as I have had it restocked
so as not to break the original stock when hunting. It does get
a bit heavy at the end of the day.

Recoil - alot of it depends on how the gun is built - balance, stock design
etc. I have fired about 5 - 6 500 Jeffrey's, some are bitches to shoot, some
great - great as in little felt recoil.

Ask Marrakai - he fired the 505 Gibbs and it nearly knocked him over
as he was standing on rocks that sloped slightly backwards !!!

Rebated rim is not a problem if you build the gun correctly.
The short neck is not a problem either.

The only reason to go Jeff over Gibbs is the SLIGHTLY easier
brass and wider bullet selection - although this is not as much
an issue now as before.

Personally, I think people look into things too much and in the end
confuse themselves by trying to get perfection.

Go with what you like.

500 Nitro

bulldog563
.400 member

#52945 - 21/03/06 09:44 PM

Who makes bullets in .505 besides Woodleigh?

How much difference does a mercury reducer make on the recoil on average? For example, does it make a 505 feel like a 458 WM? More/Less?

--------------------

Edited by bulldog563 (21/03/06 09:50 PM)

500Nitro
.450 member

#52948 - 21/03/06 10:58 PM

bulldog

Who makes bullets in .505 besides Woodleigh?
don't know - i know the Woodleigh's work so I just use them
and once I get a gun going AOK, I let it be + of course we have
them readily available.

How much difference does a mercury reducer make on the recoil on average?
For example, does it make a 505 feel like a 458 WM? More/Less?

Don't know - I don't like recoil reducers - get the gun stockcorrectly in the first place
to fit you and you won't need one.

500 Nitro

**DONOTDELETE**

#52951 - 22/03/06 12:42 AM

bulldog563,

In reply to:

I would be very interested to hear your experiences with the different rounds. Which 500 did you like better for whatever reason? Was the difference on game noticeable at all between the two? As far as recoil which of the 500's was worse? I know the factory stats show the Jeffery to be more powerful but what I am interested in is percieved recoil (ie. sharp, push, etc)

I have owned a 505 Gibbs (actually it belonged to my father, but I shot it he didn't). I currently hunt with a 500 Jeffery Improved and a 500 A^2. All the 50 caliber rifles dramatically outperform the lesser big and heavy medium bores by a significant degree (there is no comparison between either of your 50 caliber choices and a 416 Rigby). There is also no discernible difference on game between a 505 Gibbs and a 500 Jeffery, if you are using roughly the same bullets and velocities that is ie not comparing solids to softs, etc. When I hunted with a Gibbs we loaded it to ~ 2400 fps with IMR4831 powder (if I recall correctly it was a many years ago). I currently load my 500 Jeffery Improved to ~ 2370 fps with 570 gr, 2450 fps with 535 gr and 2320 fos with 600 gr Woodleighs. By the way, there is NO need to use any other bullet than a Woodleigh in a 50, as their performance has always been satisfactory (actually far better than satisfactory). I keep my 500 A^2 loaded to ~ the same pressure levels as my 500 Jeffery Improved, and it runs 570 gr pills at 2220 fps, and 535 gr at 2300 fps.

Regarding recoil. I do not know what a "slow push" is! None of these rifles "slow push". If your 500 is properly stocked and fitted to you, which a properly built custom should be, I will tell you that you should NEVER get a sore aching shoulder before you get a splitting headache. Actually, my shoulder doesn't get sore ever with the 500 Jeffery improved (unless I do something very stupid like hold it off my shoulder when I fire it). My 500 A^2, which is a bored out Ruger M77 MkII RSM, doesn't fit me too well and has a bit more felt recoil, but it is fitted with a good pad and that tames it considerably. The lighter caliber rifles I have shot that weren't pleasant (my friends 338 isn't really one of them but is does have a nasty stabbing recoil) all suffered from the same two basic problems.
1.) Poorly fitting stock shape
2.) Piss poor or non-existing recoil pad.
Addressing one or both of these issues has tamed these unpleasant shooting 30-06s, 7mm Rem mags, 375 H&H, 300 Mags, etc.

My 500 Jeffery Improved weighs just under 11 pounds with scope. The 500 A^2 is about the same. I don't notice the weight when I carry the rifle slung over my shoulder (well padded sling) or in the so-called "Africa Carry". It can get heavy if one is carrying it for 30+ minutes in their hands though. The 416 Rigby weighed for reference 10 1/2 pounds (same big action). I hardly think you would notice the weight differential.

By the way, neither the Gibbs or the Jeffery are in any way short on case capacity. The Jeffery has ~ 15 gr more capacity than the 500 A^2 and the Gibbs has about 20 gr more capacity than the Jeffery. For me IMR4350 has been the powder for the Jeffery (to provide an idea on what burn rate will fill the case nicely).

Other than that I cannot add anythinh (not sure if I did anyway) over what 500nitro has already stated.

Scott

Edited by ScottS (22/03/06 12:47 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Help with caliber choice [Re: ScottS]
      #52953 - 22/03/06 01:04 AM

Scott,

Very well put - I think you added something.

500 Nitro

bulldog563
.400 member

Re: Help with caliber choice [Re: ScottS]
      #53022 - 22/03/06 12:07 PM

Agreed, definitely the info I was looking for.

Any pictures of the rifles?

--------------------

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #53048 - 22/03/06 04:26 PM

Was cruising the net for large caliber info and came across an interesting site that compared approximate baliistics,trajectory,penetration,momentum, and other features of big bores equivilents of the 416 Rigby, 470NE,500NE, 505GIbbs, Jeffery, and others etc.

The site is 470mbogo.com.

Enjoy!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

bulldog563
.400 member

Re: Help with caliber choice [Re: hoppdoc]
      #53050 - 22/03/06 04:48 PM

Thanks, actually the inventor of the 470 mbogo is a member here (I think) and definitely on AR.

--------------------

**DONOTDELETE**

#53106 - 23/03/06 03:59 AM

bulldog563,

I see if I can find some pictures. Lost most of the digital ones when the last computer crashed. If I can find some (and if I remember how to post them) I will put some up. These are working rifles, not necessarily pretty ones.

Scott

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4368

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com