Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Where to hunt big Black Bear

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Where to hunt big Black Bear
      #3734 - 10/07/03 03:05 PM

Just wondering if any of you have a suggestion for where to go in North America to hunt big Black Bear. I'd like to limit this to either Canada or the lower 48. Also, if possible, please include the name of an outfitter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Where to hunt big Black Bear [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #3738 - 10/07/03 09:23 PM

Mike,

I know you said lower 48 but, if you want consistantly big, really big black bear you need to go to Alaska and hunt the blackies found in the Inside Passage. These bears feed on salmon and just like their cousin brown bears and are stunningly large.

I have an outfitter who does a great float hunt out of Wrangle if this is something you are really interested in. You live on the main boat and take small craft to glass the shore then put a stalk on for your bruin. Good fishing while you are there too.

Another option is Manitoba, I've got someone there who has a pretty high color phase population. Problem is many people don't hold out for a big bear and shoot the first color bear they see. So you need patience in a situation like that.

Both are good outfitters.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #3746 - 11/07/03 01:01 AM

Mike,

I just wanted to add that we do have two tags open for this year in Manitoba, arrive Aug 30 hunt 1-6 of Sept

If you want an info sheet on this outfitter please let me know and I will email it to you.

I sent a couple guys from where I work have hunted with them and had great success. One has been there twice now.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
      #3749 - 11/07/03 05:14 AM

Mike,

Manitoba is a great place for big bear. In the Fall the bear are huge. Ann is correct in that most folks don't wait long enough and settle for a smaller bear. Hunt the western part of the province for color and size, the eastern areas for black. The best advice I could give you is to give yourself at least ten days and hunt hard, longer is better.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

coues
.275 member

Reged: 04/03/03
Re: Where to hunt big Black Bear [Re: ovis]
      #3750 - 11/07/03 05:34 AM

The San Carlos Indian reservation Here in AZ produces some huge bears. Other units in AZ do as well. Several states are producers as well. New Mexico Im told by friends is a good choice.
I have never used a guide here but there are many that post their sites on the web and visit hunting sites. The 2 bears I have from here came from unit 27 and 29. Unit 27 produces some big bears as well.
More knowledgable folks would be more of a use than I on this I imagine.
Coues

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Where to hunt big Black Bear [Re: AspenHill]
      #3758 - 11/07/03 08:23 AM

Ann, I'd be willing to take a look at Manitoba, but for next fall. I'm not looking for a color phase bear, unless a really large one decides to commit suicide for me. I'm really just looking for a 6-7 foot, well furred black. The reason I'm kind of nixing Alaska is because of the travel time from the east coast(2 days each way), and the air fare. Oh, by the way, this would be a rifle hunt.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #3996 - 09/08/03 04:15 AM

Either the inside passage of Alaska, prencebly the Prince of Wales Island, in September. But the largest Black bears in the world come off Vancouver Island of BC, but is expensive!

In the lower 48, I would say Washington, Oregon, or Idaho, followed by parts Montana, Colorado, AZ, and NM. Believe it or not, North, and South Carolina have some real big Black bear!

For guided, outfitted Black Bear hunts the cheapest GOOD hunting is MAIN!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Where to hunt big Black Bear [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #4670 - 31/10/03 01:48 PM

Black bear hunting here in Pennsylvania is not easy but we have some of the largest bears in the country. Every year someone takes a 600-700 pounder and quite a few are in the 400-500 range. Those are BIG bears. Gary Alt used to be the states bear biologist until he took over the states deer program a few years ago. He wrote several times about a Pike County bear that he had trapped and tagged several times that was just over 1000 pounds!!!!!!!!!! That is the mother of all bears!! To date, no one has taken this bear.

The bear range has been expanding here in Pennsylvania. Typically they had been concentrated in the more mountainous and remote regions but they have been expanding into more populated counties. They have even been spotted in the Pittsburgh area! When they get that close they are either trapped and taken back to the mountains or they wind up getting hit by cars.

While deer hunting with my 12 year old daughter last weekend we had what I estimate to be a 400 pound blackie feed to within 10 yards of our ground blind and he never know we were there! Pretty exiting...especially for a 12 year old little girl. This was in an area that is not known for bears. I may have to buy a tag and chase that one around in 3 weeks

Sean_Edmunds
.224 member

Reged: 06/07/03
Loc: Vermont
      #4738 - 03/11/03 02:47 PM

Coastal North Carolina has been making a name for itself with good Black Bear. I know of a couple taken recently that went over 600 with many over 400. Sean

PS Sorry I don't know any of the outfitters or guides there I have lost all contact with acquaintences in NC over the last few years. Sean

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Where to hunt big Black Bear [Re: Sean_Edmunds]
      #5246 - 28/11/03 02:03 PM

I just got back from bear camp, we had 14 hunters and took three bears, the largest being a beauty of a 400 pounder. I will post stories and pictures ASAP. Here are some of the sizes of the other bears.

Here's some of the harvest #'s for the 1st 2 days: (Pennsylvania bear season is 3-days long)

Hunters have now taken at least 10 bears exceeding 600 pounds during the season's first two days. The largest was a 739-pound male (estimated live weight) taken at 2 p.m. Tuesday in Weatherly Township, Carbon County, by Brian J. Coxe of Weatherly.

Other top bears - all listed with estimated or actual live weights - are as follows:

725-pound male taken in Sweden Township, Potter County, on Monday at 7:45 a.m. by Benjamin A. Long of Coudersport.

661-pound male taken in Tell Township, Huntingdon County, on Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. by Gregg E. Walls of Dry Run.

648-pound male taken in Cherry Ridge Township, Wayne County, on Monday at 2:45 p.m. by Andrew G. Box of Honesdale.

644-pound male taken in Knox Township, Clarion County, on Monday at 9:30 a.m. by Brandon S. Carson of Monongahela.

642-pound male taken in Beech Creek Township, Clinton County, on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. by James S. Hoover of Lititz.

642-pound male taken in Stroud Township, Monroe County, on Monday at 8 a.m. by Donald W. Labar of Saylorsburg.

634-pound male taken in Hazle Township, Luzerne County, on Monday at 11:30 a.m. by William E. Jefferson of Harleigh.

624-pound male taken in Spring Brook Township, Lackawanna County, on Monday at 7:30 a.m. by Daniel J. Gregorsky of Moscow.

It was very hard getting our 400 pounder off the mountain with 6 guys pushing/ pulling. I can not even imagine how hard it would be to move a 700 pound + black bear! These buggers are killed is some rugged and nasty terrain. But that is where they live. They only consistant way to get them is by driving as we did. Baiting is illegal here.

Edited by IronBuck (28/11/03 11:22 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1747

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com