Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Heym/ Merkel doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Heym/ Merkel doubles
      #5235 - 28/11/03 09:13 AM

I,m looking at getting my first new double and Heym and Merkel doubles are the only ones in Australia I can afford( unless someone knows otherwise?).What are these one like compared to more expensive brands. I,m not after a fine English gun, just a decent,reasonably accurate,totaly reliable, traditional looking working double.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Heym/ Merkel doubles [Re: cr500]
      #5239 - 28/11/03 11:11 AM

How much are you planning to spend?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #5250 - 28/11/03 03:44 PM

I would look at and handle both doubles and get the one that fits you best. Can you not get Chapuis doubles Down Under? Of the new made doubles I like them best.

kos
.275 member

Reged: 14/01/03
      #5263 - 28/11/03 11:21 PM

heym doubles are not cheap,but i like them better than the others ,one dealer in oz quoted me $25000 for a 500 nitro,a krieghoff 500 is about $12000.i have a merkel 470 which i bought new, some of the engraving on it didnt impress me ,i complained to the company ,they said it was the first complaint they ever received .its still a good rifle and would buy another one .i dont know much about chapuis,iam told they are good ,but then you have to deal with the french if something is not right,in my opinion its always best to buy new.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Heym/ Merkel doubles [Re: kos]
      #5265 - 29/11/03 01:54 AM

Any of the four mentioned here are value for money spent! Haveing said that, IMO, the Heym is the best of the bunch, though a little more expensive in The USA than the other three! The cheapest, (to buy), of the four here is the Merkel, and in 470NE, or the newly offered, 500NE, it is a real buy, but the price is riseing! I would stay away from the 416, and 375H&H rimless offerings in the Merkel, and stick with the 9,3X74R, 470NE, or 500NE, if a medium to large chambering is what you want. If I were buying strictly to use in the USA, or OZ, I'd stick with the little 9.3X74R. The Merkel, along with the Heym, are built a little more on the traditional British lines, where the Chapuis are uneque to themselves, with 24" barrels, beavertail fore-end wood. Additionally, the Krieghoff has the very controvercial cocking system.

All four are fine, and will serve well, if they fit you! As mentioned above, by Kos, the engraveing is not top notch on the Merkel, and is $1000 US cheaper without it. That is the way I would buy it. I've shot a few, but have never owned a Krieghoff, or Chapuis, but I find both to be quite well made, and they both shot well, for the examples I handled.

I have owned both the Merkel, and Heym, and I find both to be very good doubles considering the price.

I have, right now, a Merkel 140E chambered for 9.3X74R, that is fast becomming my favorite double for North America's Wild Boar, Bear, Moose, Elk, and deer for timber hunting. Though I haven't taken any of those animals with this particular 9.3X74R,I have, with other doubles I've owned in this chambering. The little Merkel is an absolute dream to carry, and shoot. This is the fourth double I've owned, so chambered, and I find the 9.3X74R to be a lot better cartridge, than most give it credit for being!

I agree with the person above who says someone new to double rifles, is better off to buy "NEW"! The word "NEW" almost guarintees one of the names mentioned, because most of us, certainly I, cannot afford a new British "NAME"
double rifle.

Once the new rifle teaches it's new owner a little about the care and feeding of a double rifle, he can shop for a quality used British double, with a little more confidence, in it's value! Of course, one can always find someone with a little knowledge to help, and go that way first, and buy a good used Britt, and start out with an investment rifle!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Edited by DUGABOY1 (29/11/03 02:08 AM)

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Re: Heym/ Merkel doubles [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #5280 - 29/11/03 09:58 AM

You are right Duggaboy. I would love a Holland & Holland "Royal" sidelock with matching .470 and 577NE barrels but my bank manager wouldnt understand (Nor would the supreme ruler/wife). Which limits me to the cheaper, though hopefully still decent double rifles. I havent got a price for a Heym, I was assuming they were about the same price as a Merkel. I can get a new Merkel in 470NE for AUS$8500 or a bit more for the one with engraving, which doesnt interest me. I have approval from supreme ruler to spend $8000 or so when I get my superannuation.
I dont know how much a Kreighoff is in Australia ,but I will look into it. Otherwise ,the Merkels seem to be OK as far as everyone else here is concerned.
I didnt want to be stuck with a bad used double as I dont know a huge amount as to what to look for.YET.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3565

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com