Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "Saved by the Second Barrel" - competition

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
"Saved by the Second Barrel" - competition
      #5222 - 27/11/03 09:32 PM

Competition - "Saved by the Second Barrel"

Here's a competition everyone can participate in.

Write a fictional story on hunting, anywhere, anytime with the title and theme being "Saved by the Second Barrel".

The prize will be a copy of "The Double Gun Journal" Autumn 2003 issue. Value in Oz is A$35. If you already get this magazine, you can elect to get a DVD of the movie "Zulu". Otherwise something else later when I get some more stuff orgainsed.

Photos which are in tune with the story are a plus but are not necessary. Feel free to pinch them from this site or elsewhere. The story must be entered onto this thread.

Open to all, including forum leaders. More than one entry if you wish for budding Capsticks and Wilburs.

The winner will be picked by a vote by the NitroExpress Team (and each member of the team only gets one vote- so can only vote for themselve once ).

Competition closes 21 December giving everyone who wants to participate time to write a story.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Re: "Saved by the Second Barrel" - competition [Re: Ezine]
      #5223 - 27/11/03 09:34 PM

The Prize

Info being added even as you read!

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

#5554 - 09/12/03 10:50 PM

BTT

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #8164 - 04/02/04 07:44 PM

OK I'm going to write my own submission and if its the best I'm keeping this mag!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: "Saved by the Second Barrel" - competition [Re: NitroX]
      #8428 - 08/02/04 01:21 AM

Just give me some time John and I will give it a try. It will be easier now when I have something to hold in my hand.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
      #8431 - 08/02/04 02:30 AM

The hunter bowed his head, he'd muffed the shot and cliped this target. The animal had turned on a dime and made it to the sactuary of the long grass and now he had a wounded beast on his hands. No PH to back him up here, no trackers or gun bearers, he was on his own. He sat down and rolled a smoke-as is custom in these situations-and pondered how he came to be on this shimmering grassland. He had always wanted to do it by himself, just like his heros, Selous and those other hunters of yesteryear, and now his time has come, hell his day had come and if he backed down he'd never be able to live with himself.

His heart beat picked up, he didn't feel the burn of his rollie, he threw the stub on the ground and stood up, carefully grinding the smoke under his heel, the last thing he needed was a grass fire! He broke open his rifle and replaced the rounds with fresh ones. The rifle felt comfortable in is hands, he threw it to his shoulder and took a bead on a dead tree in the distance and with a deep breath he entered the long grass.

As the grass closed in behind him, the sounds of the bush dissapeared, there was only the rustle of his footsteps and the swish of the grass as it brushed past his shoulders. Every sense was working overtime, waiting for the charge that he knew would come. Eyes were wide open, ears straining for the slightest sound and nostrils flared, trying to catch the scent of his quarry. He looked down and saw a drop of blood, it wasn't the bubbly lung blood he wanted to see but dark rich blood that says flesh wound.

Twenty meters into the grass he heard it, a slight rustle that didn't belong he stopped, nothing, moving again even more slowly. Suddenly the grass disapeared and in front of him was a clearing, was his quarry waiting for him on the other side, thirty meters away? He stepped into the clearing, one pace, two,three,ten, eyes on the wall of grass in front of him, sweat driped into his eye, he quickly blinked it away, he glanced down at his rifle....and thats when it came, bursting out of the grass in a ground eating rush.

The rifle came up naturally, he'd lost vital seconds looking up from his rifle at the start of the charge, his eye fell in line with the sights and when things looked right he pulled the trigger...nothing, a bloody misfire, his finger quickley felt for the second trigger, this time the rifle sounded, the second barrel saving his skin as the 500 grain 470 projectile hit his quarry between its eyes.

He approached the fallen body of his trophy with caution, he would've touched the eye of the animal with the barrel of his rifle, to check for signs of life, but this time there was no need as the animal had no head! You see a 500 grain bullet does nastie things to a rabbit!

The end.

Edited by Bakes (08/02/04 03:55 AM)

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: "Saved by the Second Barrel" - competition [Re: cchunter]
      #8438 - 08/02/04 03:13 AM

Poster: cchunter
Subject: Re: "Saved by the Second Barrel" - competition

Just give me some time John and I will give it a try. It will be easier now when I have something to hold in my hand.

Christer, let's not go there. This is a family web site.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#9208 - 17/02/04 03:58 AM

Hey this story telling competition is still open.

Don't worry about the date mentioned on it yet.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bakes
.375 member

#9235 - 17/02/04 09:22 AM

Hey I'm winning so far

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "Saved by the Second Barrel" - competition [Re: Bakes]
      #9282 - 17/02/04 10:57 PM

Bakes

Very good. Especially the twist at the end.

I've been charged by one of those things. Damned near bumped into my ankles too. You see if was blind with myxomotosis and I was between him and his burrow and I had run out of my normal ammo but found some .22 Longs (ie not Long rifle, the old "longs") and hoped it would be sighted in well enough at 20 metres or so. Checked by shooting a post.

Wounded the little bunny and couldn't hit it again. Fired several times as he began his British WW1 style slow charge and ended up popping him a muzzle range as he passed me.

Decided that was that and real ammo was called for.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #9570 - 20/02/04 05:19 AM

here's an attempt:

The year was 1979, and this was going to be my second lion hunt as my first ended the year before without a chance for a quality trophy male Simba. A lion was the last animal on the list for me to fill out my big five, and I wanted to do it right.

Although I had started dangerous game hunting for buffalo and leopard with a bolt action rifle, the nostalgia and elegance found in a double were too appealing to resist. Following my buffalo hunt, I picked up a vintage Army & Navy double in 470 nitro express. It was a bit worse for wear, having been used in Africa for many years, but I felt lucky have it as may vintage doubles are now permanently out of circulation.

For my second lion hunt I selected the Selous area of Tanzania. The Selous presents the visiting client with wonderful east African scenery, abundant plains game, and challenging fair chase dangerous game hunting. It is wild country that I hope will never be tamed.

The first few days of this 21 day hunt, we hunted plains game, taking zebra and wildebeest for bait. On the third evening a bait was hit, so the fourth day we planned to lie in wait for the lions the zebra had attracted.

Before first light, we moved into a blind downwind of the zebra bait. I could not hear any sound of lions feeding and was worried that perhaps the pride had finished off the zebra and moved on to hunt on their own. Just past 7:30 in the morning, I was beginning to feel despondent when my professional hunter pointed to movement in the grass 30 yards to our right. We waited, and a lioness appeared and slowly walked to the bait. A second and a third lioness then arrived. Almost immediately after the third lioness presented hereself, a large male with a thick mane appeared on the opposite side of the bait. My view of him was partially blocked by the bait tree and we had to wait. A gruelling 5 minutes passed while we waited for the male lion to present a shot, but he finally did. As he stepped from behind the bait tree I was offered a 40 yard shot quartering toward me. Without hesitation I shot and the lion slumped. The 3 lionesses were startled, looked around for a few seconds, and moved off.

My professional hunter slapped me on the back and congratuled me on a fine shot. We both exited the blind and I did not even think about reloading as I walked quickly forward toward the obviously dead male lion. The professional hunter was on my left as we passed the tall grass where the lionesses had emerged. As we moved past the grass, I heard some movement and looked to my right. There was another lioness we had not seen, crouched and startled to see us. I swung my double toward her as I tried to back direclty away. My back was toward the professional hunter, preventing him from raising his rifle toward the lion. I only made it two steps back when she lept forward from a distance of not more than 10 yards. Shooting a lioness was not legal at the time and I did not want to do so unless absolutely necessary, so I hesitated as the lioness moved forward. At a distance of about 15 feet I realized that she was not bluffing and I instinctively pulled the trigger for my second barrel, sending a .470 soft point into her chest. She rolled to the side and ran off into the grass.

Visibly shaken, the professional hunter and I rested after I had reloaded, then we went forward to confirm that the male lion was indeed dead. We later found the lioness also dead about 50 yards from where I had shot her.

It was foolish for me to not reload immediately after shooting the male lion, but if I had not had that second barrel available, the lioness would have been on top of me before the professional hunter could have intervened. My skin was saved that day by a double rifle.

Bakes
.375 member

#10666 - 02/03/04 09:24 PM

Have I won? Have I won? Have I won?

mickey
.416 member

Good News For Bakes [Re: Bakes]
      #10712 - 03/03/04 04:08 AM

I've got good news for you Bakes.

I just saved a bundle on my auto insurance by going with Gieco.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
Re: Good News For Bakes [Re: mickey]
      #10715 - 03/03/04 04:52 AM

And I slept at a holiday Inn last night

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: "Saved by the Second Barrel" - competition [Re: Bakes]
      #10743 - 03/03/04 10:39 AM

Bakes

Thanks for the reminder. You may have, you may. Hey there is a second entry there though?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#11361 - 11/03/04 03:32 AM

I have written one just for fun. Embarrassed to post it.

OK will put the two stories up to a vote by the NE Team if no one else wants to jump in.

(Got to settle up with some of these contests )

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#11562 - 15/03/04 10:06 AM

And the winner is ................................

500grains

by popular vote of the NE Team.

A consolation prize will be sent to Bakes for entering. I will send you - 500grains - an email shortly.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mickey
.416 member

#11566 - 15/03/04 11:28 AM

I think we ought to send Bakes to the NT to hunt pigs.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

Bakes
.375 member

#11586 - 15/03/04 03:07 PM

And the winner is ................................

500grains

WHAT........My story was a lot more EDGY

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4036

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com