Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag
      #52057 - 10/03/06 11:38 PM

It seems that most of the Krieghoff double rifles in the Big Five range are in .470 Nitro, but I understand that .458 Win Mag is also offered. I'm looking to buy one after going down to the NRA convention, and my thoughts were that one in .458 would be somewhat easier on the shoulder, and as the cost of ammunition would be so much less I'd actually be able to practice shooting it a bit. I realize that .470 offers a bit more punch, but also has a rim, while the .458 only has a belt. Does anyone know of any issues with the rifles in .458 that would dissuade you? I intend on bringing this rifle to Africa for lion and buff.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: smicha6551]
      #52067 - 11/03/06 01:23 AM

I'm sure there's a lot of folks out there who will disagree with me but I personally think that silly cocking lever/safety catch takes away all the advantages of having a double rifle. One of the main requirements of a Dangerous Game rifle is that you can get it into action very quickly...... the Kreighoff cocking mechanism is slower and more cumbersome than a traditional safety catch. ....... So personally, I wouldn't use one even if it were given to me for free.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

smicha6551
.275 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: shakari]
      #52072 - 11/03/06 02:20 AM

Well, I didn't find that the cocking/safety catch seemed all that slow for me as compared with a conventional safety such as on a bolt rifle or another double such as a Merkel - though I'm not that fast with any of them. I'd consider other makes (Merkel and Heym), but for a double rifle in large bore I'm interested in thoughts on .458 vs. .470.

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
      #52090 - 11/03/06 04:00 AM

The 458 is very high pressure compared to the 470, but they both produce about the same FPE. I would take a 470NE over a 458 in a double any day of the week for the above reason. .458 work great in bolt actions, which is the only experience I've had with one.

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: BlainSmipy]
      #52115 - 11/03/06 12:15 PM

458 was offered at the onset.
It is no longer offered.

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

MichiganShooter
.224 member

Reged: 31/10/05
Loc: Tri-Counties, Michigan, USA
      #52208 - 12/03/06 05:33 PM

I would recommend doing some reading on this cartridge before purchasing. Guns rags and forums have talked for years about the compromises resulting from necking up this standard-length cartridge to do DG duty.

Primarily it is a reliability issue. To duplicate the performance of the English NE loadings in this smaller case, the powder charge had to be compressed. Stories are out there that ammunition several years old fails to ignite/burn correctly.

This led to one account I read of a shooter observing his 500 grain slug bouncing down the range before reaching the 100-yard paper target.

This account was then used to explain how African game wardens were perplexed why they couldn't down DG with their newly issued .458s with shots that had previously been sufficient with other rounds.

This may still be true, I do not know. But reading other people's experiences has sworn me off of ever buying a rifle in this caliber.

Sunshine
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
      #52214 - 12/03/06 07:23 PM

Hello Steve, PHs like Duckworth, Dedekind, Luc Samaras and many more would disagree with you. There is no difference speedwise whether you push forward a cocking lever or a safety catch! Obviously I also use a Classic Big Five. My Sauer Drilling has a similar cocking lever and this gun is with me since more than 30 years. A cocking lever is not a "silly" thing, quite the opposite: highly sophisticated.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: Sunshine]
      #52216 - 12/03/06 07:33 PM

Sunshine,
I like the concept of a decocking safety.
Please tell us more about your Krieghoff Big Five.
How is the balance and feel of your rifle etc?

shakari
.400 member

#52217 - 12/03/06 07:44 PM

Hi sunshine,

We'll have to agree to disagree on it then.

I appreciate they don't take much longer to cock than it takes to flick a safety catch off...... but (IMO) it does take longer albeit probably measured in fractions of a second....... but very important fractions of a second......... Everyone's free to form their own opinions on these things, but my opinion is that they're slightly slower(and probably noisier) to get into use...... consequently, I for one prefer not to use or own one.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Sunshine
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
      #52218 - 12/03/06 08:33 PM

< probably noisier >

My Classic's cocking lever is absolutely quiet. Steve, tell us about your practical experiences with the Krieghoff Classic. How often have you used one on your safaris? How many shots have you fired, how many animals killed?

shakari
.400 member

#52219 - 12/03/06 09:29 PM

Hey Bwana,

I never claimed to have used one on safari....... but I have used them (albeit a long time ago) at a few range days when I lived in the UK. The ones I shot were in a variety of calibres but were pretty much brand new and out of the box. Most if not all made some noise when being cocked but more importantly I found they took a little more time to cock than a rifle (double or bolt) took to release the traditional safety catch. I've also had a few clients who have used them on safari.......

I'm not interested in turning this into a pissing contest, you're free to decide on any rifle you like, as are we all....... but personally, I'll stick to my bolt action .500 Jeffery. It's served me very well indeed in the past and I see no reason why it shouldn't continue to do so well into the future. If I ever changed it, the only thing I'd swap it for would be a traditional good quality double such as a Rigby.

As far as experience of short range charges are concerned click here: http://www.kuduland.com/hunting-in-tanzania.htm

The Buff at the top was stopped at 7 yards, the Leopard at the bottom right was stopped at 6 yards, the Lion was a camp raider and not exactly charging but was making a bloody nuisance of itself and I whacked that one at slightly less than 20 yards.

I appreciate I've posted the link before and apologise for taking up bandwidth - but those particular pics make a point and by using the link rather than posting individual pictures it makes it harder for folks to take them without permission.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (12/03/06 09:38 PM)

ChopperGuy
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/04
Loc: Northern Minnesota
      #52400 - 14/03/06 12:49 PM

smicha6551:

Here's a response that I had posted on a similar thread regarding Krieghoff doubles.

In reply to:

"I also own Krieghoff doubles and have never found them particularly difficult to operate. I have been shooting double shotguns, single shot rifles, Blaser R93 & K95 (Please don't throw stones, I like them. You can shoot what ever you want.) for most of my shooting career so the Krieghoff safety/cocking mechanism is very natural.

I have practiced "instinctive" shooting with it from a variety of carry positions, at various targets, and varying ranges. I would not consider myself endangered at all by this system. It has become natural to me. I have been in law enforcement for over 25 years and incorporated training techniques used in my profession and as a police firearms instructor to simulate the stress of actual field situations, including moving/"charging" targets.

Those who speak to it from only a short handling period on a show floor could benefit from some extended range time to actually see how it functions and works. And yes, they do get a little easier to move with use. Probably a function of both practiced muscle memory and breaking in the safety/cocking system.

Not everybody has to like it, buy it or use it. I do, I did, and I look forward to using it on my first Cape Buff trip in September."

My safety is not noisy, operates smoothly and works very well in my hands. My Classic Big Five is in 500/416 & 9.3x74R and my Classic is in .30-06. I'm pleased with all three calibers and both rifles.

I stand by my experience with this make and model of double. Would I like to have a classic English rifle - Yes. Would it be any better than what I have for it's intended purpose - Probably not. Although, there would be the "cool" factor of a fine English rifle that shoots as well as my Krieghoffs do. Will I change - Probably not. Will I add another (possibly and English) to my gun safe if I can - OF COURSE!! (Especially if I can find a nice small bore in .303 Brit.)

Good luck and good shooting.

--------------------
"If you are in trouble, an airplane can fly over and throw you flowers, while a helicopter can land and save your life" Igor Sikorsky 1947

shakari
.400 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: ChopperGuy]
      #52416 - 14/03/06 04:41 PM

Hey, I'm not saying they're a lousy product, just that I don't like them and that they take a little longer to get into action. It stands ro reason that it's faster to move an unsprung safety catch half an inch than to move a cocking lever an inch and a half or so against a sprung resistance...... not much longer admittedly, but if something's about to nail you, a fraction of a second is very important....... I guess one could argue that the carrier could have the rifle already cocked and ready to go, but that to me is asking for an accident to happen.......

I don't think it matters what drills you've practised and what other experience you've had with guns and criminals or warzones, it's not the same as following up a wounded animal..... there is absolutely no way to gain experience of that other than to do it...... The reverse is also true..... just because I've stopped a few charges in my time, doesn't mean I'd know which way is up if I had to arrest a loony drugged up gunman in NY etc...... If I were in that position, I'd call in the cops.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

smicha6551
.275 member

#52445 - 15/03/06 02:37 AM

I will confirm if Krieghoff is no longer producing rifles in .458, which would make the discussion moot. Does anyone know where to get, and the pricing for .416/500? Krieghoff lists Old Western Scrounger as a source, but they don't list it. I really don't want a handloading only proposition.

ChopperGuy
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/04
Loc: Northern Minnesota
      #52477 - 15/03/06 12:48 PM

For 500/416 ammo check with Joe Martinelli at the Drilling Hot Line. He is in NY.

http://www.drillinghotline.com/

He has sent my rifle to Krieghoff for new sights and they regulated it with factory cartridges at that time. He can probably line you up though I'm sure it's not inexpensive.

--------------------
"If you are in trouble, an airplane can fly over and throw you flowers, while a helicopter can land and save your life" Igor Sikorsky 1947

smicha6551
.275 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: ChopperGuy]
      #52931 - 21/03/06 06:41 PM

The Drilling Hotline reported that they send people to Krieghoff for ammunition, they don't handle that themselves. Kreighoff reported that they no longer chamber their rifle in .416 Rigby, but can special order it in .458 Win Mag with a lead time of 10-12 months. I'll stop by them and see what they have to say at the NRA convention.

Schamankungulo
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/07
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #92816 - 28/12/07 01:25 PM

Me , personally , I'm against any belted round in a double , sooner or later extraction may nip yur tail ..

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: Schamankungulo]
      #92822 - 28/12/07 03:11 PM

On several issues:

1.) The cocking/decocking system is NOT slower, for those accustomed to it. As mentioned more than a few elephant PH's use and love their keighoff's. A zim ele PH will hunt more eles in a season than most PH n a lifetime. And since most hunt cows as well as bulls they will find the nessecity of using their rifle a hell of a lot more frently than those who hunt only bulls, even a lot of bulls, let alone a PH who hunts many buff but few eles.

One I hunt with and am friends with has the Kreighoff in 470 and he is as quick with his first as I am with mine, and I am very accustomed to the basic slide safety since I shoot shotguns and rifles equiped with them quite a bit.

On the other hand, since I am used to the simple slide safety, I find the system awkward and requiring more effort. But it is only a personal question for the owner or prospective owner. I'd suggest that a fellow who hunts a lot with a regular slide safety might find the cocking lever awkward, while a fellow who is moving to double will find it a heck of a lot more useable than a Winchester style two or three position safety.

2.) The 458wm is more than enogh rifle for buff or eles. It produces, even in the relatively light factory ammo, similar ballistics to the 470, but with a skinnier bullet and so better penetration, velocity for velocity. And Woodleigh .458" solid bullets have a better, less troublesome shape to the nose, more round less pointed.

With handloads, the 458wm will far, far, far outperform the 470. As much as a 200fps advantage goes to the 458wm. Easily more than 100fps. And 100fps in this velocity range means a hell of a lot. My experience with a double rifle in 458wm indicates that because of the pretty wide powder selection, it is possible to find more than one full bullet weight load that shoots to regulation. Plus 480gr and 450gr bullets are available that will peform well on buff and eles. I have several 500gr, 480gr and 450gr loads that shoot to regulation in my double. My 500gr Woodleigh solid load runs 2145fps at the muzzle, about 100fps faster than the great bulk of 470's and almost all vintage 470's.

3.) This rimless/belted/high pressure issue is WAY overblown. If the rifle is well made it will stand considerable shooting as a 458wm. If it ever does shoot loose, it is a simple and cheap repair to repin the rifle. Ejection issues seem to be internet based and I have never heard a first hand report for the 458wm but have heard three for other rimless cartridge rifles, two british vintage, medium bore rifles, the other a more modern medium bore.

If there is an issue, a 458wm can be rechmbered cheaply to 450NE 3 1/4". Hornaday has announced that they will load this cartridge with availability in early '08. I've got 800 rounds through my 458wm double rifle with NO issues, but if it had issues it would become a 450NE 3 1/4" very quickly with minimal expense and trouble.

If I were buying a NEW double rifle I would get it in 450NE 3 1/4". Faling that, 470!! But don't pass on a good used 458wm, which will likely be listed at a steep diecount because of all the BS out there and the few who know how inexpensive it is to rechamber to 450NE 3 1/4" if required.

JPK

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #92834 - 28/12/07 05:10 PM

Smicha6551:

A few thoughts on your question.

I can see your point about .458 ammo being cheaper, but there will be no difference in recoil. When Hornady gets their .470 ammo out (it will be a while) relying mainly on factory ammo in that caliber will become more economically realistic than it's ever been, but don't let economics influence your choice of caliber in a double rifle. Doubles have been the only rifles I've used for many years (I still own bolt actions, but can't remember the last time I shot one of mine), and I love 'em. However, if you're not a handloader, or are not excited about the prospect of becoming one, get a bolt .458 and leave double rifles alone. If factory ammo is part of your consideration in caliber choice for a double rifle, you're headed in the wrong direction.

With respect to the Krieghoff...I have a fair bit of experience with the Big Five in .500/.416, .375 Flanged Magnum, and 7X65R. While not great, quality is good and commensurate with price. In the main, they've shot quite well, with the exception of one that Krieghoff USA agreed to rebarrel due to substandard accuracy. I have a lot of range time with them, and have done load development for four of them. Personally, I agree with Steve. No, I've never hunted with one, nor would I. Further, I won't hunt with someone that's using one, unless I've hunted with them before and am comfortable with their attention to the basic safety procedures that tend to get overridden with that type. The safety is just too antiquated for me to get comfortable with.

With respect to the .458 in the Krieghoff...the Big Five isn't offered with ejectors. If chambered for a flanged shell, that doesn't matter at all. With an ejector double rifle, the empty cases are kicked out of the chambers when the gun is opened; with a non-ejector double rifle, the cases fall out of the chambers when the gun is opened. I own and use DRs with both. With either system, the chambers are cleared by simply opening the gun, and reloading the chambers is the same with both, so there is no difference in speed. Not so with a double rifle chambered for a rimless shell. The spring loaded extractor pawl that snaps into the extractor groove to provide primary extraction provides the same resistance in both directions. The spring tension has to be strong enough so that the pawl won't slip over the case head leaving the empty case in the chamber (the classic extraction failure in a rimless double) and likewise must be dislodged from the extractor groove and ride the case body on the way out. They don't just fall out. If you find a non-ejector rimless double that will clear it's chambers from gravity alone, I would never trust the extraction system. Rimless doubles require ejectors, or you're stuck with picking the empties out with your fingers, and that's crazy.

If you're sold on the Krieghoff, get it in .500/.416 or .470. If you must have a double in .458, forget the K-gun. Heym will still build one in that caliber, and it's an ejector gun. You need to realize that the resale market nicks doubles in .458 pretty hard for a number of good reasons, and most people interested in them see them as a cheap route into a nice double that can be rechambered to one of the .450 Nitros. The prices reflect that. In addition to the reliability of extraction issue (I've had failures to extract with several rimless doubles, including a couple from better makers than Krieghoff) that's why it's far better to go with a flanged chambering to begin with.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Edited by 400NitroExpress (28/12/07 06:49 PM)

smicha6551
.275 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #92842 - 28/12/07 08:02 PM

Wow, I basically forgot about this post - but I've long dropped the idea of a .458 WM double rifle. I'm not sure which maker I'll go with, probably Krieghoff or Heym, but I'll be either in .450/400 or 450NE 3 1/4". It probably won't happen for a while since I've been looking at some combo guns, and some precision rifle stuff. I'll probably start reloading once I'm back in the US, but I don't know when that'll happen.

I don't trust any safety, to include Krieghoff, enough to start violating safety rules. I really prefer a decocking safety though - it's what I use on my Blaser bolt rifles. And no, I won't consider the Blaser S2.

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: JPK]
      #92844 - 28/12/07 10:46 PM

Quote:

With handloads, the 458wm will far, far, far outperform the 470. As much as a 200fps advantage goes to the 458wm. Easily more than 100fps.
JPK

Because the 470 case is much larger one could load the 470NE to much, much higher velocities than the 458 WM, if one wanted to do so. I was shooting some loads at ~2250 fps with no accuracy or apparent pressure problems.

The Krieghoff's barrel profile is nearly uniform (and slim) from chamber to muzzle, which I am guessing make it relatively insensitive to regulation issues. All my rounds from sub-2000 fps to over 2250 fps were chucking them into the same spot at 25 yards, at least as far as I could tell shooting off-hand.

As far as I can tell, the old and virtually every present DR have these huge barrel profiles at the chamber because they are using over-sized actions, which make them over-weight beasts. But other opinions may exist!

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #92853 - 29/12/07 01:28 AM

Quote:

I don't trust any safety, to include Krieghoff, enough to start violating safety rules. I really prefer a decocking safety though - it's what I use on my Blaser bolt rifles.

I don't either. My point was that, in my opinion, Krieghoff's decocker promotes doing so because it's such an abortion - enough so that I consider the design unsafe and am not comfortable around someone using one.

The .400 and .450 are both good choices. Heym is currently delivering rifles in both calibers. I haven't seen a K-gun chambered for either one, although I know they've built at least one .400.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Anonymous
Unregistered

#92857 - 29/12/07 02:48 AM

458 win mag is a loser! More Elephants have been lost due to this round than I can count. Go with the 470NE.

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: ]
      #92871 - 29/12/07 08:49 AM

Thats odd because the decocker is what
the PHs told Krieghoff they wanted.

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

Schamankungulo
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/07
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: k80]
      #92872 - 29/12/07 08:56 AM

It was kinda funky to get used too , IMO , but practice and get used to it and be done with it ..

As for the belted extraction thingy , I had the problem before there was an internet ..

Fortuntely it was here and not there ..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13058

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com