Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Big Bore Gun? Yes or no? Or?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
doublegunfan
.275 member

Reged: 26/04/05
Loc: Brazil
Re: Big Bore Gun? Yes or no? Or? [Re: Yogi000]
      #52361 - 14/03/06 06:09 AM

Yogi,

Sorry about your mother. My mother also suffers from diabetes, and I know the consequences are very hard.

Well...my smoothbore double also shoots low. I could only get it to shoot to point of aim when I changed the front sight. I would not be worried about it, because it is easy to fix.

Pay attention to the impact of right and left barrel to see if they are not crossing. And try to shoot at longer ranges, say, 50 meters or so, just to see how they perform at that distance. In my gun, Brennekes always performed a little better.

And don't forget to take a few pictures.

Fred

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
Re: Big Bore Gun? Yes or no? Or? [Re: doublegunfan]
      #52365 - 14/03/06 07:13 AM

Thanks guys.... my sentiments go out to you as well doublegun, for your mom and your family, Diabetes is a terrible affliction.

I just received my shipment of Brenneke's and Fiocchi's so I hope to see how they fly. Yes, I am going to go back to the 50 meter mark and try them.

I also have been reading up on these dangerous game thunderbolt slugs from Ballistic Products. a 12 gauge 607 grain DG slug! ...pointy nose too. They say they are made for maximum penetration and knock down. 'Never shot 607 grains before. I bet they will pack some punch.

I will also be taking the advice of shooting both barrels cold. Then marking each (left) (right)... waiting a while before shooting again to let the barrels get back to ambient temp. I know my hunting shots will be that way, so I must be patient and check for accuracy only with a cold gun.

Yes, I'll get my digital camera working and snap some shots... The Silvio Brignoli is a handsome gun, though. And I want to get some nice shots of the targets, too.

I hope I can get home before dark. Today looks iffy. Oh well. The trails and tribulations of a man looking to create his most lethal weapon: side by side double barrel version!

Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
Re: Big Bore Gun? Yes or no? Or? [Re: Yogi000]
      #52386 - 14/03/06 10:59 AM

Yes, today is pouring rain and mighty dark... looks like another day for trials.

Yes, daryl, I do want to make this gun a gun that I can confidently use on any big game. Dangerous or not so dangerous. And since my interests in hunting now are definitely close range: 60 yards max, (20 or less being optimal) I am seeing more and more that a big double barrel 12 gauge SLUG is truly a lethal weapon. More than ever, I do want to start loading my own slugs. Just from my "testing" yesterday I saw quite a range of differnces from 4 different types of slugs and loads. I would have really liked to have also checked for depth and deformation, and force of impact would be another. I wonder if there is a "force of impact" rig I could set up. Something like a polymer pad that absorbs the shot with a tensi-o-meter to measure the impact force. I think penetration depth and force and expansion are the three big factors I would need to measure in order research this and come up with measured "results"... Other than hunting and shooting things blam dead preferably in one shot, but yes that second available shot is great insurance.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7112

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com