Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ROWLAND WARD / LACK OF BRITISH SHOOTERS!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
N320AW
.224 member

Reged: 15/08/05
Loc: Georgia USA
ROWLAND WARD / LACK OF BRITISH SHOOTERS!
      #50801 - 25/02/06 04:24 AM

Hi guys . . .couple of quick questions for you.

Firstly, who the heck is Rowland Ward? Elmer Keith mentions the name . . something to do with shipping trophies to U.S. and I have a reprint of a John Taylor book (Trophy Room Books) that mentions the availability of books on African hunting; one in U.S. and Rowland Ward c/o Holland & Holland, London!

Secondly, I never see any posts on these forums from persons in the U.K. I know they have stringent gun regulations, but have the Brits just given it up and don't shoot/hunt anymore?

Thanks

--------------------
" Nature does not care whether the hunter slays the beast or the beast the hunter She will make good compost of them both and her ends are prospered whichever succeeds. "

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
Re: ROWLAND WARD / LACK OF BRITISH SHOOTERS! [Re: N320AW]
      #50802 - 25/02/06 04:30 AM

There are still a few, but one has to wonder. The Brits now train their recruits with lazer guns for general practice then send them over to Oregon in the US for real shooting. It seem the Brit farmers complain the practice by their military frightens their chickens and livestock.

Go figure.

When your own government is frightened of its own people being armed, it is time to kick the buggers out.

skeetshooter1
.224 member

Reged: 01/05/05
Loc: Scotland U.K.
      #50822 - 25/02/06 07:16 AM

Hi, I'm a (British) Scottish shooter who has hunted the Eastern Cape last year and the year before with my pre'64 Model 70 375 H+H Mag. Over the last two years I've hunted (successfully) Kudu, Nyala,Zebra, Red Haartebeest, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Black Springbuck, Common Springbuck, Mountain Reedbuck, Bushbuck, Duiker, Impala, Blesbuck, and Warthog. I go to the Eastern Cape about an hour North of East London and hunt with SA Safaris near the Kabusi Rver. As well as hunting in South Africa I shoot here in Scotland Stalking Red and Roe deer, Fox shooting, using a Sauer 308 with hornady 180 grain interbond homeloads, a Hyem 25-06, and a Steyr Mannlicher 22-250. I shoot phesants with a Belgian Browning, and compete Internationally at Olympic Skeet with a Beretta ASE 90.
If I did'nt have to work occassionally I could squeeze a bit more in. I'm doing my best to keep shooting going here in the U.K. along with many thousands of other committed people.

John D McIntyre

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: ROWLAND WARD / LACK OF BRITISH SHOOTERS! [Re: skeetshooter1]
      #50825 - 25/02/06 07:22 AM

You should update your profile with your location. It helps to know where people are when asking or answering questions.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Gadge
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/04
Loc: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
      #50978 - 27/02/06 11:25 PM

Rowland Ward were formerly a Brit taxidermist, who became the keepers of the global game trophy records - published as 'Records of Big Game'.

These days they are a publishing firm only , who still periodically bring out new editions of the 'Records' , as well as other stuff
- see their web page.

--------------------
Cheers,
Doug

Metswedi
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/05
Loc: Yorks. England
Re: ROWLAND WARD / LACK OF BRITISH SHOOTERS! [Re: Peterb]
      #50988 - 28/02/06 01:39 AM

Don't know where you get your information from Peterb but, with respect, that is complete rot. When I was in the military, we found it difficult to get range time because the ranges were always fully booked. Do you think that with the number of recruits the army trains each year it would be cost effective to send them all to the states to shoot?
What about the Annual Personal Weapons Test that must be passed by everyone serving in the forces? Add to that the number of reserve forces, Territorials and Cadet forces and you can see why the ranges are chock full. Granted, training does take place in other countries but to say that everyone trains with lasers and then jets off to the states to fire live rounds is nonsense. Many farmers rely on the MOD to lease them land to graze their livestock rather than the MOD being at the whim of farmers.

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

Jeffery
.224 member

Reged: 08/11/05
Loc: Woodbridge Suffolk England
Re: ROWLAND WARD / LACK OF BRITISH SHOOTERS! [Re: Metswedi]
      #51038 - 28/02/06 07:47 PM

I well remember Thetford Battle Ranges (still in use) when we used to have "pull bull" competitions after the annual BFT. The target was a dinner plate at 200 yards and you "bought your rounds", the money going into the pot for the winner. I won it a few times. Ah, those where the days!

Regards,

Norman

Metswedi
.300 member

Re: ROWLAND WARD / LACK OF BRITISH SHOOTERS! [Re: Jeffery]
      #51043 - 28/02/06 11:59 PM

yes, I well remember Thetford. How come doing the run down for the Falling plate at Strensall and landing in a pile of sheep droppings while fumbling for the magazine ( back in the good old days of the SLR ) is such a fond memory?
There must be a bit of the masochist in us all!!

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

Jeffery
.224 member

Reged: 08/11/05
Loc: Woodbridge Suffolk England
      #51057 - 01/03/06 02:39 AM

Masochism, how about parachute training at Bad Lippspringe with Sennenlager firing ranges on one side (365 days of the year) and a motorway and great big lake on the other side. If you landed on the ranges, it was better to be shot than face the wrath of the range officer who had to stop all shooting and hold an enquiry!

Metswedi
.300 member

Re: ROWLAND WARD / LACK OF BRITISH SHOOTERS! [Re: Jeffery]
      #51075 - 01/03/06 06:46 AM

In danger of hijacking the thread here norman, careful, I'm getting a yearning for Herfy Pils and Bratties! Good old days. As they say you can take the man out of the Army........................

Good hunting mate!

N320AW There you go,there are at least two of us Brits alive and well and slinging lead and Skeetshooter makes three!!!

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
      #51079 - 01/03/06 08:13 AM

Add one more to the list, just down the road from Strensall infact

Metswedi
.300 member

Re: ROWLAND WARD / LACK OF BRITISH SHOOTERS! [Re: JTOMLINSON]
      #51082 - 01/03/06 09:18 AM

Hi Jonathan, how's the 6.5 working out?

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
      #51256 - 03/03/06 09:26 AM

Re Metswedi

Sorry I have been absent frm the site for a day or two.

Results are slowly starting to come through, I have gone up a click to a 120 grain ballistic tip, Callum set it up for 100 grains as he was instructed but I am ever one to tinker around.

with 120 BT's and 58 grains of Vhit 165, when I last shot it 5 rounds went into 5/8" and I am certain the only thing from stopping that being under 1/2" was me!

I suppose for top accuracy it sould use the 140 grainers but it has a deliberately short throat for the 100 and 120's and would need the throat reaming to take the longer 140's, as they say- if it aint broke don't mend it.

I have been getting some good (accuracy wise that is) results in my .270 with the 130 Barnes TSX, out of my light barreled rifle 3 shots into just under 5/8. compare this to the older "X" bullets of 3 shots into 8 inches (yes 8), it is a totally different bullet, just need to try it on our deer species here.

Other than that work has been keeping me from the range lately, (that and the cold miserabvle weather, the older I get the greater the comfort I enjoy!!) The local range (Pickering) opens for business in April so all need to be in order for then.

I have a new .300 win Mag on order, posisbly here for then but as the chain of supply is from the U.S via Germany things may slow down a little.

Have you done much shooting lately?

Regards

Jonathan

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3038

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com