Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Krieghoff Classic Big Five

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
MrNE
.224 member

Reged: 19/02/06
Loc: Germany
Krieghoff Classic Big Five
      #50522 - 22/02/06 08:04 AM

Hi hunters,

do you have any opinions on the German double rifle Krieghoff Classic Big Five? Is it worth it's price? Is it accurate? Is it reliable? Advantages? Disadvantages?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five [Re: MrNE]
      #50551 - 22/02/06 05:11 PM

The Kreighoff is a nice rifle. They are definitely accurate and reliable from what I know. I personally would not get one because they have an unusual cocker-decocker for a safety and I would prefer a traditional safety on a DR. Thats just me, some people love the decocker. Also they seem mass produced to me. With the weak dollar you are kind of eating it on the exchange rate so the rifle in my mind is more expensive then it should be.

Unless I could get a smoking deal on a Kreighoff I would look at Merkel, Searcy, heym and Chapuis if you are looking for something NIB. They are in the same price range. If you want an English DR that is another ball of wax. I ended up going with a Searcy because I wanted something new, I like his product the best(especially the new classic) and it is fitted to you/built by hand.

If you do a search you will find this subject has been covered very thoroughly. In fact I would encourage you to do a search on any topic you may be interested in as most of the basics have been covered multiple times before.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Edited by bulldog563 (22/02/06 05:16 PM)

MrNE
.224 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five [Re: bulldog563]
      #50555 - 22/02/06 05:49 PM

Thanks, bulldog. I will do a search and see what I can find.

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #50570 - 23/02/06 12:25 AM

MrNE:

Being in Germany, take a hard look at Merkel. I own a Merkel in .500 NE and love it. I have no regrets whatsoever about that purchase.

Whil in Austria last year, I believe new Merkels were going for 4500-5000 Euros. Not bad in my opinion.

If you are looking for a step up, look hard at the Heym.

If you were in America, I would also suggest the Searcy, but it might prove more difficult getting one as opposed to a Merkel. (But it has been done! An Aussie poster here has one!)

What part of Germany are you from?

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

MrNE
.224 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five [Re: clark7781]
      #50574 - 23/02/06 01:07 AM

Hi dark7781,

thanks for your answer. Merkel is indeed a good manufacturer, but the gun which gave me the reason to post here is a used Krieghoff rifle. I heard controversial things about the reliability of the Krieghoff. For example there is a plastic part in it's system that should keep the cocking mechanism from being noisy. This part caused some gun failures in the past. Now they make it a different way ("now" means since 2000, I guess). But I know that Krieghoff repaires all the older rifles with the unreliable construction for free and with excellent service. Then I heard that the rifle can get inaccurate in hot weather due to a bad material between the barrels which can become soft under warm conditions (maybe just a rumor!). On the other hand I do know that there are many hunters who never ever had any problems with their Krieghoff Classic. These controversial aspects gave me the reason to ask you for your opinions and experiences.

I'm glad that you mentioned Heym, a really great manufacturer in my view. Let's talk about it in a few months, when I get my .600 Nitro from them.

I'm living in Bonn, the former capital of Germany.

bulldog563
.400 member

#50585 - 23/02/06 04:00 AM

There is a Heym 600 Nitro for sale right now in the US. Not sure what you get them for over there but might be worth a look. It is on gunsamerica.com .

As far as your comments regarding the material between the barrels... Are you sure they weren't talking about a Blaser?

Merkel, Heym and Chapuis are all good choices from Europe. Pick whichever one feels the best to you and your wallet.

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #50601 - 23/02/06 05:25 AM

BULLDOG
They could not have been talking about the Blaser doubles as the barrels are not joined together with a rib. The rubber"rib" is mearly for cosmetics.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five [Re: NE450No2]
      #50604 - 23/02/06 05:42 AM

In reply to:

The rubber"rib" is mearly for cosmetics.

I thought it was for fixing flat tires while on safari.

bulldog563
.400 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five [Re: NE450No2]
      #50652 - 23/02/06 02:40 PM

Whoops, my mistake.

--------------------

MrNE
.224 member

#50662 - 23/02/06 07:47 PM

In reply to:

There is a Heym 600 Nitro for sale right now in the US. Not sure what you get them for over there but might be worth a look. It is on gunsamerica.com .

As far as I know produced Heym only four .600 doubles and I am quite sure that all of them are sold right now, including the gun on gunsamerica.com. The price on gunsamerica.com is 33,450 $. The regular price in Germany is around 30,000 €.

bulldog563
.400 member

#50666 - 23/02/06 11:18 PM

The one on gunsamerica was available as of a few months ago. I think it is still available as they moved the price from 29K to 33K recently. It would be worth your while to give them a call as I bet they would take around 29(maybe less as it has been for sale for a few years) for it and that would make it considerably less for you in Euro. Not sure about the export/import though.

--------------------

MrNE
.224 member

#50670 - 24/02/06 12:19 AM

bulldog, I would call gunsamerica.com, but already got a good price from a German firearms dealer. Heym needs about seven months to build the gun. So I will get the gun in september.

I already bought reloading dies and a shellholder....very, very, very big tools, I can tell you!

bulldog563
.400 member

#50682 - 24/02/06 02:42 AM

I'm sure they are very big. Heym makes a very nice DR. I am sure you will be very happy with your purchase.

--------------------

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #50993 - 28/02/06 02:19 AM

MrNE,
I own a Krieghoff Classic Big Five in 470 NE. I like the gun a lot. It's accurate and handles well. The cocking decocking features works fine and doesn't take much to get used to.
I've only fired a few boxes of shells so far from this calibre but it functions flawlessly.
I also own other barrels in other calibres for this gun. These have proved themselves worthwhile and a lot of fun to shoot. It makes this gun more rounded and thus more useful.
I'd buy it again in a minute.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

MrNE
.224 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five [Re: foxfire]
      #51000 - 28/02/06 03:39 AM

Hi foxfire,

thanks for your message. I already bought the gun and I am very happy with it. It is a used gun and has three calibers: .375 H&H Magnum, .500/.416 Nitro Express 3 1/4" and .500 Nitro Express 3". I shot all three of them at the shooting range. Using the .375 I shot a wild boar.

Krieghoff fixed the plastic part which I described above in this thread. They did it for free within three days!

I really enjoy this rifle and I am looking forward to use it in Africa.

MrNE

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3691

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com