Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Chapuis Armes in .470 NE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/03
Loc: United Kingdom
Chapuis Armes in .470 NE
      #4019 - 17/08/03 02:47 AM

Hope someone can help with my dilemma. I have been considering .375 H&H and .470 NE options and have been leaning toward a double in .470 NE. I have shot a few and have no problem with the recoil. Dilemma is what to go for, good used English (costs a fortune and so few about but may be worth more on the second hand market in the future) or new and probably foreign (cheaper but lower used values). I have considered the Krieghoff but have now come across a French company “Chapuis Armes” they do a boxlock, colour hardened finish, nice wood, the Brousse model for something approaching reasonable money.

Has anyone had any experience with these rifles, the one I have seen at the CLA game fair in .375 pointed well with good balance and appeared to be well made with a lifetime guarantee.

Thanks

Phil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Honey_badger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: UK
Re: Chapuis Armes in .470 NE [Re: Phil_in_the_UK]
      #4033 - 19/08/03 04:43 AM

Personally, I would go for a used English rifle, but that's just me. Oh to be in your position!

Does it absolutely have to be a .470? Their association with Ruark, Hemingway and so many other 'names' pushes the value up. A .475 or .475 No 2, for example, would be ballistically identical to a .470 (in the real world) and may well be a good few thousand less. Try www.westleyrichards.co.uk

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Re: Chapuis Armes in .470 NE [Re: Honey_badger]
      #4036 - 20/08/03 04:25 AM

Thanks for the response Honey Badger, I had similar thoughts but trying to find something clean and tight for anything like sensible money is proving difficult.

I know what you mean regarding the calibre choice but here in the UK we have some very strange laws relating to firearms.

I have the authority to purchase a .470NE double and ammunition but solid ammunition only. That means no expanding ammunition as good reason to possess cannot be justified within the bounds of the UK.

The reason for the .470 is because it is one of the few calibres where ammunition can be bought overseas in most places. The Kynoch ammunition being the most available is seems at the moment. This I can duplicate reloading by using Woodleigh solids.

My .375H&H authority allows both solid and softs as I have it for use for deer stalking as well. It is illegal in the UK to take a deer with a non expanding bullet. Unfortunatly the .470NE is regarded as a little large for deer so no expanding ammunition.

Regards

Phil

Honey_badger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: UK
      #4037 - 20/08/03 04:47 AM

Phil,

I'm very pleasantly surprised that your .375 is authorised for deer. I would have thought that the Home Office & BDS would consider that a little large as well, but am very glad that they seem not to.

As for the .470/other calibres, would you not be able to get a 'one on, on off' variation on your FAC, if you needed to? I believe this would be free, if my memory serves me correctly. Also, I don't know for sure, but I imagine that Kynamco & the like can ship ammunition worldwide, albeit at a cost.

Purely out of interest, what was your 'good reason' for the .470 on your FAC application? I ask because (like everyone else) I would love a big double as well, at some point. Do I take it correctly that solids are authorised for target practice (there not beng too many frontal shots on elephant required in the UK )?

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Re: Chapuis Armes in .470 NE [Re: Honey_badger]
      #4039 - 20/08/03 06:48 AM

Honey Badger

No problem with the .375 for deer although I probably wont use it, my 30-06 is enough, seems allowing the .375 for deer is a small concession to the hunters going over seas. I know of a few with .375 on their licence.

You can have ammunition shipped where you like and there are services whereby you can be met at you departure area and take delivery of the expanding ammunition for onward foreign use only, not sure how this is done though. Problem arises if your ammunition does not turn up, a cancelled or ruined hunt hence I wanted something as easily obtainable as possible.

The wording on my licence in relation to the .470 is for zeroing with solids and transport to and from a port of embarkation only. It is doubtful they would entertain anything else. When I made my application, my good reason was hunting dangerous game overseas and I sent copies of correspondence from Previouse hunting trips to prove Previouse interest/use, and also I am a member of the Express Rifle association through BASC.

If you are considering applying for anything I recommend you join BASC and speak to George Wallace, he talks sense.

Regards

Phil

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #4041 - 20/08/03 01:13 PM

Phil

There is a member of NitroExpress.com who owns two Chapuis including one in .470. He drops in here evry now and again.

I think it is very hard that you can only purchase solid ammo for your .470. Other than for rhino and elephant, softs are still the way to go for everything else you might hunt with it - at least for the first shot or two.

I'm interested in the Express Rifle Assoc in the BASC that you mentioned. Do they have a web site?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Re: Chapuis Armes in .470 NE [Re: NitroX]
      #4046 - 21/08/03 05:02 AM

Nitro

The web site for the Express Rifle Association is in its infancy but it has all the contact details you need.

http://www.expressrifle.co.uk/

BASC is at the following

http://www.basc.org.uk/upload/tplt_pri_style_.asp?page=2100002142

Any problems with the links, let me know.

Regards

Phil

holland465
.275 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: California
      #4057 - 25/08/03 09:25 AM

Hello Phil,

I have been dealing in double rifles and shotguns for the past 13 years and thought I would give you my opinion as well. I agree with the fellow who suggested that you buy an English gun if possible. The English guns are very easy to sell if the need arises but the continent guns are a lot more difficult to unload! That said, I feel that the Chapius is a very well thought out rifle. I have met the owners of the company and can only say that " They are very nice people who stand behind their products". their double rifles are nicely balanced, are of sufficient weight to prevent being pounded, and they use the double underbite system to lock-up the barrels to the receiver which is a very good system in my opinion. One should not have the problem with the barrels " moving off the face" as you may experience with the chopper lump barrels. The frame is reinforced and the engraving is completely acceptable. You may also have your rifle fitted for a set of shotgun barrels or another set of rifle barrels if you like.
In closing I can honestly say that "These fellows build a nice rifle". Buy one and enjoy it.

Robie
.275 member

Reged: 04/04/03
      #4069 - 27/08/03 04:20 AM

Have you looked at Blaser S2 Safari. They are availble in .375 up to .500NE? A second-hand side by side in .450-400 or .450 etc might be a better deal if you want some "british".
Robie

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Chapuis Armes in .470 NE [Re: Robie]
      #4990 - 17/11/03 03:35 PM

Robie
I have a 9,3 Chapuis and have hunted and shot it quite a bit. I could not be more pleased.
I prefer a British double in the big calibers and I have a 450 No2 and a 450/400 3 1/4".
However I have fired a Chapuis 470 and it shot very well. I like them the best of the new made doubles.
If I was buying a new Chapuis 470 I would also have a set of 12ga. bbls fited to it. That would be a hard Safari combo to beat.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3802

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com