Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Book Recommendation

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
Nickudu
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
A Book Recommendation
      #49736 - 11/02/06 08:26 AM

I recently read a book entitled "Hunting Dangerous Game with the Maharajas - in the Indian Sub-Continent" by Shuja Ul Islam & Zohra Islam. Early on, I was somewhat disappointed in discovering that the years encompassed by the book began in the 1930's, running on up until the recent past. However, I learned much about the experiences of people that were not very much older than myself and found it fascinating, more so, than many earlier accounts, so bereft of detail other than game talleys. This man was the son of a gifted tiger hunter, who in turn, was the lifelong friend of the Maharaj Kumar of Vizianagram (Crown Prince). Shuja's father, Badrul Ul Islam, shot more than 50 tigers during his lifetime, with his friend 'Vizzy' taking over 300. How Shuja learned to hunt the tiger under the tutelege of these men and went on to be an accomplished hunter himself, made for great reading and I am sure that many here will enjoy it, at least as much as I.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: A Book Recommendation [Re: Nickudu]
      #49758 - 11/02/06 11:21 PM

Nick:
Its been on my bookshelf for several years now, and I have loaned it many times. I agree with your recommendation.

Vedams often get the lion's share of my library budget! ...or should that be 'tiger's share'?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Nickudu
.300 member

Re: A Book Recommendation [Re: Marrakai]
      #49773 - 12/02/06 05:06 AM

I wonder if there are hunting books on India, Burma, Southeast Asia you might recommend? I hate to think I've already read the best of them. Corbett, K. Andersen, John Burger aside.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #49815 - 12/02/06 05:57 PM

Nick:
All Corbett's and Baker's stuff is first-rate of course.
Andersen's "Thirteen Years among the Wild Beasts of India" is good, also "Jungle By-ways in India" by E.P. Stebbing.
Among the early stuff, anything by 'The Old Shekarry' (Henry Leveson) is great, ripping yarns of adventure and derring-do in the colonies!
For something out of the ordinary, try "Tiger in Sight" by Astrid Bergman Sucksdorff.
The best technical account may well be J.G.Elliott's "Field Sports in India 1800 - 1947".
Then "Sport and Wildlife in the Deccan", "The Tiger Hunters", and "A Book of Maneaters" by Reginold George (R.G.) Burton.
There were a couple of Burtons, Richard or R.W. Burton's diaries were published posthumously as "Tigers of the Raj" which is very interesting but a bit tedious.
Tedious also IMHO is "Thirty-seven Years of Big Game Shooting in Cooch Behar, the Duars, and Assam" by the Maharajah of Cooch Behar. A marvellous book, but in reality a glorified (long!) list of quarry bagged during his reign.
Others on my shelf which I consider a good read include:
"A Ceylon Sportsman's Diary" by H.Storey,
"Tigers of Trengannu" by A.Locke,
"Musings of an Old Shikari" by A.I.R.Glasfurd.
I also have a copy of Dean Witter's privately published "Shikar"which is a good conversation piece!

Most of the good British double rifles in Australia came from India, including all but one of mine. Consequently about 3ft 8ins of my bookshelves are devoted to books specifically on Indian hunting! Love that stuff!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Nickudu
.300 member

Re: A Book Recommendation [Re: Marrakai]
      #49817 - 12/02/06 07:49 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond so thoroughly!

"Thirty-seven Years of Big Game Shooting in Cooch Behar, the Duars, and Assam" by the Maharajah of Cooch Behar.
YES, that was the most tedious of all time!

I recently attempted to buy on EBAY "Tigers of Trengannu" by A.Locke, but failed. I'll keep looking. Thanks for all your suggestions!!

You have read Kenneth Andersen? I enjoy him very much.
"The Lonely Tiger" by Hugh Allen is also a very good read.

Thanks Again!

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #49823 - 13/02/06 05:01 AM

here is some online reading

http://www.logoi.com/notes/hunting_in_india_wild_bulls.html

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Nickudu
.300 member

Re: A Book Recommendation [Re: gryphon]
      #49831 - 13/02/06 10:11 AM

Thanks!

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #51201 - 03/03/06 12:41 AM

On your recomendation I interlibrary loaned it and its great! The only wierd thing is that the book has the funniest picture captions I've ever seen.

Lots of pages with color photos of tigers, and captions that read "Color photos of tigers", or photos of tigers in water, and captions like "Photo of tiger in water." Its all true but normally you expect a little more explanation in captions.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2657

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com