Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Captive breeding programme for pheasants in Pakist

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Captive breeding programme for pheasants in Pakist
      #31728 - 22/05/05 02:04 PM

http://www.dawn.com/weekly/dmag/dmag5.htm

Birds of a feather ...

By Dr A.A. Quraishy

OF all our feathered friends pheasants offer the most gorgeous sight to behold, particularly the male ones. The peacock is only one such species. There are so many others.

Since pheasants are ground-dwelling birds they fall easy prey to trigger happy villains. In many countries of the world conservationists have set up pleasantries to save them from extinction, but there is one place in our own country where pheasantry itself has become endangered. A former NWFP governor, Lt-Gen I.H. Shah ordered a thriving pheasantry to be removed from Dhodial in District Manshera. His successor or the NWFP government is doing nothing to halt the move as yet.

The Dhodial Pheasantry, which houses as many as 34 out of the 52 species of pheasants in the world, was set-up way back in 1984 by the Wildlife Department of the government of the NWFP and has in all these 21 year turned into one of the largest of its kind in the world and the largest in Asia. Spread over 12 acres of lush green land and canopied by large trees, the pheasantry is a spot where birds feel very much at home. It’s heartening to note that their numbers have increased significantly to over 1,000.

When the new Hazara University was being set-up in 2001, the outgoing governor used his powers to relocate the Mental Hospital, the Agriculture Research Station and the Veterinary Laboratory.

The pheasantry is being removed to yield space for a girls’ hostel and opposition to its current spot does not mean one doesn’t realize the need for proper and exclusive residential quarters for girls, who are away from their families but sure enough, there is ample alternate space available for a girls’ hostel. The pheasantry occupies only 12 acres, while the university has as much as 204 acres, so why not build the hostel elsewhere without disturbing the birds which are well-settled there?

A point to ponder is that by shifting the pheasantry, the government would unnecessarily spend around Rs100 million besides wasting what has been spent so far. Also, one ought to remember that the pheasantry, if it remains at its present site, will serve as a place of educational value to zoology students and a recreational apace for all students and teachers who can enjoy the wide variety of colours and shapes which the different species of birds add to a drab existence. The construction work near the pheasantry combined with the noise and the dust have disturbed the birds no end who are so used to the quietude of nature. Fortunately, the chief secretary of the NWFP government has thwarted the move made by some ‘well-meaning’ people who suggested that the pheasantry be shifted to next door province of Punjab.

Once disturbed, the ex-situ gene-pool of the rare pheasant species painstakingly established at Dhodial would be denied to posterity and as such the whole effort of rehabilitating the threatened species which has brought the country to the world focus would be defeated — and it would become another ‘Bamian Buddhas’ in world press. Even a minor disturbance during the breeding seasons would easily scare the birds that are at different stages of frolicking, courtship, laying, hatching and raring the chicks and feeling quite at home in a setting identical to the original habitat of each species in each pen with great difficulty. It will take 20 years for such trees and setting to grow.

Located as it is on the Karakoram Highway, the main artery frequented by foreigners converging on to the scenic Northern Areas, the Dhodial Pheasantry has become a major tourists attraction as it projects the colourful fauna in a heavenly setting which can rarely be seen in nature. It would therefore be a pity if the visitors were denied the pleasure of seeing the beauty and carrying back home with them the nostalgic memories of tales from the Himalayas.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Captive breeding programme for pheasants in Pakist [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #31743 - 23/05/05 01:37 AM

Mehul,unfortunately what Prof.Quarishy states is true and by relocating this sanctuary we would be doing a great disservice not only to the wildlife but also the general public,at least those who love wildlife.I have seen this sanctuary at Dhodial and was really impressed by the care and hardwork undertaken by its management.I don't know about India but here the govt.treats sanctuaries and other animal habitats on a very low priority.Take the case of the Manchar Lake,one of the biggest lakes in the country and a refuge for wildfowls,on the list of the world wildlife list,it has almost dried up and gone to the dogs but no one cares.Perhaps one day we will realise the importance of sanctuaries,I only hope its not to late by then.

Boghossian
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/04
Re: Captive breeding programme for pheasants in Pakist [Re: iqbal]
      #31755 - 23/05/05 05:12 AM

What species of wild pheasant are hunted in Pakistan? I assume they are not the ringnecks common in Europe...

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Captive breeding programme for pheasants in Pakist [Re: iqbal]
      #31762 - 23/05/05 10:21 AM

Iqbal,

India is also a sad case. There has been evidence that ahs been collected which suggests that more than 1000 tigers have been poached in Indian wildlife sanctuaries in the past four years.

In general, Pakistan seems to have had a better record of wildlife management than India has had. I hope you expand on the present sanctuary or build more of them in different parts of Pakistan.

Best wishes,

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Captive breeding programme for pheasants in Pakist [Re: Boghossian]
      #31819 - 24/05/05 01:01 AM

There is no pheasant hunting in Pakistan for the simple reason that there aren't any except for those at the sanctuary at Dhodial and a few at a private farm owned by the rulers of Dubai at a place called Sakro in Sind province.There are however snow pheasants in the northern areas above the snow line but these are very rare.I was fortunate to get a couple on my last hunt for the Himalayan Ibex.Very good eating.

navigrewal
.224 member

Reged: 10/02/06
      #49719 - 11/02/06 01:13 AM

My first post thanks to Mehul

Majority of Punjab Rivers In India are polluted along with the sub terrain water beneath ground due to excessive use of pesticides, toxic effluents from plants and off course dumping of sewage http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20060111/main8.htm
The present head of this board is my uncle and he mentioned to me Punjab irrigation uses high grade fertilizers for soil and crops are sprayed with pesticides ( read toxic for both). This all make into food stream and obviously one can see the impact on eco balance and increase of cancer in general human population. because of this the population of vultures is decreasing in substantial numbers in both the Punjab’s India and Pakistan. http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20041223/main6.htm

Similarly there was an article about declining population of hawks in Punjab because the shell of their eggs are so thin. The most amazing memories I have are of flight of Siberian geese coming in to land on Beas river. Now these birds also feed and breed in the same contaminated rivers of Punjab. The biggest of all and maybe most contaminiated wetland in Punjab is Harike Dam downstream on Sutlej river just before it flows into Pakistan.

I can only sum up dire state of things in a conversation I had with my mother in law who is visiting us in USA “ oh its nice to hear birds chirping in morning and see so many sparrows”!
I live in concrete jungle of New York City Manhattan to be precise and she is from Chandigarh Punjab go figure

Cheers
navi

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Captive breeding programme for pheasants in Pakist [Re: navigrewal]
      #49730 - 11/02/06 03:34 AM

Navi,

Good to see you here. Yes, what is happening in India is extremely sad and it hurts to have been there seeing the worst happen over the past four decades and more. My father owned a house in the hills at Kodaikanal and I have fond memories of the place. We would go there as children to see tadpoles swimming about in a stream that ran through the property and it was a nice place to hunt boar in the days when hunting was allowed. They would come into the garden to eat fruit that fell from the heavy branches of the trees and rotted on the grass and it was quite easy to get to 20 yards of them and hit them with a 12 bore loaded with ball.

About ten years or so ago we sold the place and it now has a resort. The stream that we used to go to as children has been covered up and sewage flows through it into the lake. I have decided that that is a place that I shall never visit again. The tragedy is that this has been happening all over the country.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

navigrewal
.224 member

Reged: 10/02/06
      #49732 - 11/02/06 03:46 AM

Hi Mehul
Yes all we have are memories and I remember night time safari ride( Matador van with serach light and drunk guide) in sanctuary near Nagpur Maharashtra (cant recall the name), saw droves of deer, wild buffaloes, machans of some ex raja, aliagors/ gharials on bank of lake ( open mouths) and most of all the reflecting eyes of leopard caught in beam of search light.

Sorry first time here so mistakenly posted unedited message but Point I was trying to make is that maintaining wildlife is multi prong strategy starting from environment to curbing poaching.
To clarify couple of things One of the link in my earlier post is for decreasing wetlands due to encroachment. The vultures population is decreasing due to vet drug called diclofenac a vets asprin for livestock which causes renal failure in this sturdy bird

Another thing I made an incorrect general comment regarding increase in cancer instances I meant to say health issues but there is an ongoing study focused on cancer within a cotton growing belt of Punjab viz use of pesticides and study is still inconclusive so jury is still out on that hypothesis .
But enough literature has been published on negative effect of toxicity on faun and flora and general health of human beings.
That all said the current CM of Punjab Capt Amarinder Singh is ex Maharaja of Patiala an avid shooter and definitely possesses one of greatest gun collection in India. He has acknowledged this issue of decreasing wildlife and has initiated some programs regarding this. All this is depends how the governments plans and executes.

The most ardent wild life conservators in India are ex hunters namely ornithologist Dr Salim Ali (http://www.geocities.com/rs_suresh/salim.html) and then Billy Arjun Singh better known for his work onTigers in Dhudhwa National park.

Cheers
navi

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3128

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com