Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Africa bound

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Bushy
.224 member

Reged: 23/01/06
Loc: Central California
Africa bound
      #48817 - 01/02/06 04:50 PM

My Dad and I have booked (at SCI) a hunt to Zimbabwe for July of 2007. We are excited, even if it is a ways off! I have never been there, and my Dad was there in 1982. I am taking my new winchester safari express in .375 and my ruger77 in .350 rem mag. I have read very mixed reviews about the safari express on this sight. My question is this; knowing what I want to do with this rifle, what additional gunsmithing would you have performed on it to make it "Africa ready", and by whom? Thank you again for a great sight!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: Africa bound [Re: Bushy]
      #48854 - 02/02/06 01:36 AM

I think the first thing is to have the rifle(s) bedded by someone who understands powerful rifles, not all gunsmiths do. You may want to have cross bolts installed, particularly with the .375 although I had a M-700 .350 magnum that cracked the stock through the for-end and the pistol grip. The stock should fit you, and this can be addressed while the bedding work is being done.

One more issue with the rifle stock is if you get your knuckle rapped by the back of the trigger guard when the rifle recoils. With my rifle this became a problem when I practiced rapid fire, so I am having my gunsmith make a filler to go between the pistol grip and the trigger guard, similar to what used to be available for combat stocked revolvers. Hopefully, this will force me to keep my hand lower on the pistol grip and alleviate the painful bump on the knuckle

If you have a front swivel stud on the for-end it might be a good idea to move it to the radius of the for-end tip to avoid a cut hand. Lots of "African" rifles have a barrel band sling attachment which servers the same purpose and has the added advantage of carrying the slung rifle lower, however I do not favour this method as I sometimes use the sling for additional support when shooting. Many Africans it seems just do away with the sling completely.

If the rifle has to go out anyway you might as well have the gunsmith do some trigger work if you have issues with the trigger - 3lbs is about right but more importantly all creep and sponginess should be adjusted out.

Make sure your ammo feeds without any hiccups. If you have feeding problems you will need to address your ammo or your rifle to fix the problem. If the bolt handle is difficult to lift (cock) you may want to address that as well.

If the rifles are to be scoped, take a spare, and use QD mounts in case you do have a scope failure. I like Talley's but there are lots of good QD mounts. If you need to use the rifle's iron sights, are they a type you are happy with? I prefer a ghost ring and post, but there are many who prefer an express sight and bead. The sights installed on many American rifles are poor.

You will need to transport your rifles, so get the best travel case(s) you can afford. I chose the Pelican Case, but again there are lots to choose from.

--------------------

Edited by Boomer (02/02/06 01:51 AM)

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Africa bound [Re: Boomer]
      #48880 - 02/02/06 05:32 AM

In addition to the bedding, feeding, swivel and sight issues, some Model 70's and similar rifles have a problem with a knock on the bottom of the bolt handle locking the safety in the most rearward position. Pushing the bolt handle down will free up the safety but who wants to have this issue in the rare case of an emergency? Nicki Atcheson was gored when her husband's Model 70 locked up and it took him a moment too long to figure out what cause was.

You can check for this problem by putting the safety in the rearward, bolt locking position and giving the bottom of the bolt handle a good whack with the palm of your hand. Then try moving the safety forward. If it is seized you have this problem and it should be adressed. Obviously try this with an empty rifle. And again, pushing the bolt handle down will free up the safety.

My Dakota 375H&H had this problem. JJ Pereddeau at Champlin's fixed it.

You will also need to ensure that your choice of ammo, both softs and solid shoot to the same POA with your scope and at 50yds with your open sights - and sight in your open sights for that distance too. I couldn't get the Federal 300gr Trophy bonded solid to shoot where the softs did. A hand loaded 300 Woodleigh solid load shot to nearly the same POA from the muzzle to past 100yds.

JPK

Bushy
.224 member

#49156 - 04/02/06 03:21 PM

Has anyone used New England Custom Guns for repairs? And were you happy with the results?

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #49308 - 06/02/06 03:51 PM

Yes

Very unhappy.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

MRobinson
.275 member

Reged: 29/01/06
Loc: New England
      #49351 - 07/02/06 05:53 AM

Bushy, congrats on booking your safari.

As for your Model 70, if it were mine I'd just shoot it for a while and see how it does. Not all Model 70s need work as they come from the factory. Many if not most of them work quite nicely right out of the box.

If your rifle works when you shoot it, then shoot it some more, and keep on shooting it a lot more, until you know it will work every time.

mickey, I'm curious about your bad experience with NECG. What went wrong? Was it quality of work, price, timeliness, quality of customer service or something else in particular? I know they do a fair amount of gunsmithing business and they are right up the road from me.

The only business I've done with them is that I've ordered a few parts from them.

--------------------
Mike

Bushy
.224 member

Re: Africa bound [Re: JPK]
      #50469 - 21/02/06 04:21 PM

JPK, Thank you! Mine does the same thing. Did they say why this would happen, and what they did to fix it?

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #50471 - 21/02/06 04:32 PM

Bushy,

Yes and yes. But hey I shoot 'em and know enough to get someone who really knows what they're doing to fix 'em. I listened but it didn't stick.

If you do a search on AR's African Hunting forum or the Big Bore forum, maybe here, you should find something on it. It was discussed at length by those who would know better than me.

JPK

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2043

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com