Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Longido, Tanzania

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Longido, Tanzania
      #4862 - 10/11/03 07:33 AM

I will be hunting around Longido, Tanz Late next Sept. and early Oct. What knd of weather should I expect there at that time? I have hunted at Lokisale in early July and in late August, but never in Northern Tanz around Oct 1st. How is the hunting there, and what is the terrain? My client will be after Gerenuk, lesser Kudu, & fringe ear'd Oryx. How are the buffalo?

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Longido, Tanzania [Re: luv2safari]
      #5209 - 27/11/03 12:55 PM

luv2safari

This photo of Mickey's reminds me of what the weather was like in Kenya and Tanzania when I was there in October (or November?)

Heavy thick cloud cover. A thick carpet of cloud which seemed quite low. But very light underneath.

Warm weather to the low thirties. Usually dry but some heavy rains. I travelled South through Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia as the rains began.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #5226 - 27/11/03 10:10 PM

Rainy seasons usually starts at the end of October, but we're talking about Africa so you'll never know.

I'd been in lake Natron in August '00 and I finished with the license 5 days before (of 15 days hunting). Just 20 animals in 10 days, including Lesser, Gerenuk and Oryx. In this area only there was mountain buffalo, 5 hours away from the camp and small trophies. I didn't try them.

A tip: Be very patient with Lesser Kudu, they're there everywhere, just wait for the one you want.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Longido, Tanzania [Re: 470Nitro]
      #5230 - 28/11/03 03:21 AM

Thanks for the info. I have been just South of this area a few times, but earlier in the season. It looks like my client will need to be ready for about any kind of weather around October 1st. He will be after the three varieties mentioned, and I'll take a buffalo, if a good one is found. I want him to get his Lesser, Gerenuk, and Fringe Eared. He isn't getting any younger, and this may be his one shot. I have seen all three in fair numbers around Lokisale, but have never been North of Arusha. I am told that the Gerenuk are good at Longido. We will have the option of moving South to Burungi. I imagine it is much like the area around Lokisale?? The PH tells me both areas have good buffalo, and I know that Lokisale does. His hunter took a 47 1/2" two years ago at Burungi. I know the hunter, a woman, and have seen the head...about as good as I have ever seen!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

470Nitro
.333 member

#5232 - 28/11/03 04:21 AM

Between Arusha and the border in Namanga there're very nice hunting areas. I only hunted there one year but I crossed this border several times. About five years ago I saw a Huge Lion crossing the road, near Longido. Probably this male came from Amboseli, Serengueti, Tsavo or, why not, Ngorongoro. He was that kind of lion you only see on TV . I meant, this is the nice place to find a "surprise" trophie, like this 47" buff.

--------------------
-----

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#5236 - 28/11/03 10:41 AM

In reply to:

I saw a Huge Lion crossing the road, near Longido. Probably this male came from Amboseli, Serengueti, Tsavo or, why not, Ngorongoro. He was that kind of lion you only see on TV

The lion on the home page was one of a pair photographed in Ngorongoro. Wouldn't you like him to cross your path in a nearby hunting concession.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

470Nitro
.333 member

Re: Longido, Tanzania [Re: NitroX]
      #5371 - 03/12/03 11:37 PM

I'b been twice in the Ngorongoro crater and I'd never seen a male lion . I saw the pride hunting buffalos, a cheeta hunting a warthog, Rinos and even the always difficult bushbuck but never a male lion. May be they're scared of me

--------------------
-----

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#5375 - 04/12/03 12:33 AM

That lion was one of a fat pair resting (sleeping) on one of the vehicle tracks. Their wildebeest kill was 50 metres away.

Not far away was a pride of lionesses and cubs. The little bugger cubs were too quick for a photograph and ran for high grass as soon as they knew the vehicle was approaching.

Some black rhino (2), numerous elephant including one with a single tusk - other broken off - that I am sure is the same as in a poster I have bought since. Pink flamingoes and numerous other game.

I think the lions of Ngorongoro do not need to travel far to find rich game for eating. A game heaven and a photographers paradise.

The escarpment was crowned with lovely dark rolling clouds - the season being October.

The best maned lion I have seen was across the border in the Mara - a big heavily maned lion which swaggered over the horizon and crossed from several hundred metres within metres of our vehicle. Regal and with disdain of us mere humans.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

470Nitro
.333 member

Re: Longido, Tanzania [Re: NitroX]
      #5386 - 04/12/03 06:43 AM

Take a look to this "monster". This one was shoot by my father in September 1997 in Tanzania, near the Usangu Game Reserve (just in the border ). Is not easy to get a Lion like this nowadays.

--------------------
-----

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1480

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com