Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Haunting Sounds

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Haunting Sounds
      #4821 - 07/11/03 04:20 AM

On another thread Gryphon commented that an Elk Bugle was a sound that invoked wilderness. That are the sounds that mean wilderness to you?

Aside from an Elk Bugle a Wolf's howl brings back a memory of sitting on a ridge in the Brooks Range in Alaska one night watching the Northern Lights. A Cuban Cigar, a metal cup with a sip of Crown Royal, a campfire and three of my best hunting buddies.

But what signals Wilderness most to me is the cry of a Loon. A remote cabin in the North of British Columbia, perched on the shores of a quiet Lake with the sun setting over the mountains. A trout jumping off shore, a chilly night that needs a wool sweater, the resident moose standing along the shore nibbling at the willows and a mug of hot chocolate with a bit of Peppermint Schnapps for taste. Perhaps a cigar and no plans for the next day.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Haunting Sounds [Re: mickey]
      #4832 - 07/11/03 11:56 AM

The moans, grunts and roar of lion in the midnight bush. Then it goes very still and silent as they start to hunt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Haunting Sounds [Re: NitroX]
      #4840 - 08/11/03 06:46 AM

I have a doco tape here somewhere that has the cry of the arctic loon on it and it is a great sound that i want to hear along with the noises of a pack of hyaenas,that cacophony of sound like no other!
I suppose the sounds of wild dogs/dingo`s calling from ridge to ridge on a frosty night has its own appeal as well,though i do like the WHACK of a good projectile smacking into a big stags shoulder for probably the best

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Haunting Sounds [Re: gryphon]
      #5046 - 20/11/03 02:53 PM

Elk bugles are AWESOME to hear in the wild. As well as the cyotes song.

DBBill
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Southern California, USA
      #5655 - 14/12/03 11:18 AM

The sound I brought back with me from my last trip to Africa was the noise my wounded leopard made after he hit the ground and ran off into the grass.....it was at least a week until my testicles came all the way back down.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Haunting Sounds [Re: DBBill]
      #5658 - 14/12/03 01:10 PM

Hahahaahaaa hope them nuts are right now mate hahahaa whew it musta been some scream eh!phew!
I was gonna say in my previous post i was listening to dogs in the `Gatta singing their song as the full moon shining as bright as a silver dollar in Jack Johnson`s arsehole steadily rose over the steep ridge above camp ...a great night and a great sound too....now i suppose i have said it!

--------------------

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
      #5816 - 17/12/03 11:58 PM

How about the cry........ of your mate, when you fire a slug gun at the tin walls of the shitter, at the same time letting go a .22 round down the paddock

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #5831 - 18/12/03 05:53 AM

I'm not much of a writer, so please forgive the description, but (to me) Mickey hit the nail on the head with the wolves. There's nothing like returning to sheep camp after a long couple of days in the mountains, sitting around the fire with a nice single malt scotch in your hand, watching the northern lights above and listening to the wolves siren song.

The scariest sound is being in alder and devils club thicket where visibility is measured in inches with the fog closing in and hearing a one of those big coastal grizzlies (that you can't see) growling deep in its chest somewhere very near you as you step around bear chewed salmon carcasses on one the big run streams.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Haunting Sounds [Re: DPhillips]
      #5832 - 18/12/03 06:10 AM

The sound of a ten foot taipan ( MF real aggressive deadly snake) rustling the grass straight at you is scary too.Bakesey you are right about the shitter trick hahahaa

--------------------

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #5836 - 18/12/03 06:25 AM

Snakes, ugh! I hate freaking snakes!!! I'll take the bears over snakes any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
Re: Haunting Sounds [Re: DPhillips]
      #5858 - 18/12/03 06:18 PM

The sweetest sound,my newest granddaughters mews,
The one that has scared me the most, the hiss of a King Corba as it rose off the path not more that 3 meters from me, and the one that means wilderness to me down here in the south, is either the call of a bobcat or the roar of a bull gator

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1463

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com