Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How many double rifles are out there?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
docEE
.224 member

Reged: 06/11/03
Loc: Minnesota, USA
How many double rifles are out there?
      #4795 - 06/11/03 11:50 AM

I have read a number of articles that make statements regarding doubles rifle production. One says "all the double rifles in the world probably do not equal a single year's production of Remington 700's." Others describe annual production by various companies as being in the dozens. I understand that interest in these guns has picked up and companies are starting to produce them again, but how many functional double rifles do you think are out there? (I would propose limiting consideration to big-bores, and only those that are still safe to use.) How many might be black powder vs. nitro expresses?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: How many double rifles are out there? [Re: docEE]
      #4797 - 06/11/03 12:58 PM

docEE

Welcome.

Firstly I am not going to guess at the numbers of doubles around. There are much more informed members on this board to give you that sort of info. Hopefully one or more will hazard a guess.

But they are and have always been relatively scarce as they have never been cheap. In Australia there were a fair number of doubles which came here from India after WW2. Some of these have left Aussie shores for the USA and back to the UK where most of them actually originated (ie were manufactured).

Contary to popular belief today from my readings I believe most doubles were made for India rather than Africa. Of course Africa was and is an ideal habitat for the double. But at the turn and beginning of the last century the sportsman and maharajah of the Indian sub-continent was the principal market for at least the English made doubles.

Europe has always had a strong double rifle following and provides a considerable number of double rifle manufacturers.

The USA has always had a number of keen enthusiasts with some very famous individuals historically.

Now all these countries have a growing following looking for these classic rifles.

But don't assume black powder doubles are not usuable. Some were subsequently nitro proofed but were originally made for black powder. And others are loaded for using Nitro for Black Powder loads. They make lovely doubles for medium sized game. These doubles also tend to be more affordable. Perhaps half to two-thirds a nitro version of the same calibre (?). If you want one and do not intend using it on dangerous game, they are a good choice.

I would not say no to a black powder double in a suitable big bore calibre for pig hunting and an occasional deer. Hopefully one day I will add one to the battery.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Re: How many double rifles are out there? [Re: NitroX]
      #4798 - 06/11/03 01:36 PM

I know that if finances allowed (which they dont at the moment), I would add another one to the list. Ive been looking through the Holland& Holland, Rigby, and Purdey websites and cant wait to win the Lotto. I just wish there were a few more reasonably priced doubles out there. Hopefully there are more being built than there are being worn out/lost/locked away.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2450

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com