Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Question about a Drilling

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Question about a Drilling
      #46839 - 18/01/06 02:52 AM

Forgive me, Ive posted this on a couple of other sites; but I need info quick. A local shop has a KETTNER drilling on consignment. Its 16 x 16 over 9.3x72R its in great shape. Its marked is Krupp Steel. It has claw bases but no scope or rings.

The price is $1500. is that fair?

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
8x56mn
.300 member

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Wine Country, Finger Lakes Wa...
Re: Question about a Drilling [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #46841 - 18/01/06 03:07 AM

Well, if you decide not to let me know and give me the address and I will.:) Yes it's a fair price if in good condition, I have one that is an underlever with claws and scope that is just wonderfull that I bought from luv2safari and never regreted it. I did a trigger job on the front trigger got it to 1-3/4 pounds. I managed to shot a whitetail doe this year with it. I have shot several rounds of sporting clays also. The gun is a lot of fun. Go get her for crying out loud, life is short.
Gary

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Question about a Drilling [Re: 8x56mn]
      #46842 - 18/01/06 03:19 AM

Thanks for getting back so fast. Im not especially concerned but Im betting the chambers are 2 1/2inches. Im not really sure about the 9.3x72R. Is that available/affordable. One of the customers says its a big cat gun; but Im not so sure. I was thinking more of a wild boar or deer gun.

Any idea where I can find claw rings???

--------------------

8x56mn
.300 member

#46849 - 18/01/06 04:33 AM

The chambers are more than likly 2-1/2", shells are available from Ely, cost around $7.00 a box light and heavy Do not shoot shells that have plastic wads as they will buldge your barresl at the chokes because the barrels are very thin. As far as what you shoot, your limited because the sectional density of the 200 gr RN is low the bullet is short and walls are thin .030. I got some Hawks recently to try, but have not shot any yet. The deer I shot ran around 100yds before falling dead with no blood trail. The bullet opened up fast and did not exit. Next time I won't shoot for the shoulder as the bullet broke the shoulder bone and near side rib and left a hole about the size of a golf ball. Not a knock em down dead round for sure.
Dies are available from varoius places. The round is mild to shoot, about like a 35 Remington. I just got some old Peters 16 ga 2-9/16" rifled slugs to try in the right barrel, but have had no time to try them.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #46855 - 18/01/06 06:20 AM

I saw some Sellier&Belliot 9,3x72, [and 9,3x74] the last time I was in the Ft. Worth Cabelas.

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#46858 - 18/01/06 06:34 AM

Thanks again! I didnt think it was a Big Cat gun. Im still excited this will be my first Drilling. The funny thing is, I got started with Drillings while reading about WW2. That USED to be my real passion. I collected WW2 weapons and equipment. I saw a small reference to the Luftwaffe Drilling, and started reserching. After that I picked up my old Capstick Books and rekindled my dreams of Africa.

Frankly I never expected to see a drilling for sale that I could afford. Baltimore is not what you would call Drilling country. Theres plenty of nice shotguns floating around for the sportingclays guys; but this is the first Drilling Ive actually handled. So the "extra" WW2 stuff is going to make room and cash.

I guess I'll have to wear "tweeds" on my next hunting trip

--------------------

8x56mn
.300 member

#46861 - 18/01/06 06:41 AM

Yes Cabelas does have the loaded rounds, just use your head and don't go after DG Have fun

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #46893 - 18/01/06 11:44 AM

Natchezz carries Sellier & Bellot in many metric calibers, 9,3X72R being one of them. I believe that Graf & Sons has them, also. The 9,3X72R is fine for deer to about 100-125 yards. The problem with the 9,3X72R is the bullets used. They are, and have to be, a 193 gr FN that is a bit soft. The 9,3X72R was a black powder round that changed over to a mild smokeless loading around 1900. Cast bullets are excellent for the 9,3X72R. I used the gun 8X56 now has on several deer and many chucker/quail/doves/sagehen and loved the gun. I let 8X56 steal it from me, knowing it went to the right home. The early snap action guns were so graceful and a joy to shoulder.

To hunt with a drilling is to fall in love with three barrels...Get that drilling!!!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

8x56mn
.300 member

Re: Question about a Drilling [Re: luv2safari]
      #46966 - 19/01/06 03:32 AM

Oh yea, you can if you want take your new sweet thing to NECG for claw mounts if you have a little extra left over, a lot actually. I had some made for one of mine rifles a while back. It would depend on what type of claw bases that you have. Did you get her yet
8x56mn

TheShrink
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/05
Loc: Tidewater, Virginia
      #47229 - 21/01/06 12:08 PM

9.3x72R is also a wonderful cast round from everything I've read. It's a .366 bullet I believe. There's a couple of guys on Castboolits/gunloads.com who are casting for, shooting, and hunting with it, I believe. You can get a lot of information there on loading it.

--------------------
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires you to work for me or me to work for you!

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #47377 - 22/01/06 10:15 AM

Nope...Lee LeBas pissed upwind on me and decided to sell it for big bucks to someone else, after he let me sell you your drilling to raise the $$$ for me to buy his. "just business" was his reason.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 2965

You rated this topic a 4.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com