Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Big Bore Reloading Dies

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Big Bore Reloading Dies
      #4697 - 02/11/03 09:21 AM

Who makes the best dies for the NE cartridges?
The reason I ask is that I've never been happy with my 470 dies which are by one of the big name die makers.
A case that is full length sized ends up nowhere near the dimentions of an original Kynoch round and is tight in the chambers.
Original Kynoch ammo drops perfectly into the chambers and so does old "original" BELL 470 NE brass.
The trouble comes when forming a 470 case from basic 470 NE cases and also from 500 NE basic brass.
I have got around the problem by machining up another die which slightly reduces the case body to correct size.
However as these are a well known make of die and also quite expensive, I would have thought that they should be capable of resizing a case to dimentions similar to the original cases that these old doubles used.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Big Bore Reloading Dies [Re: 4seventy]
      #4704 - 02/11/03 12:08 PM

4seventy
Firstly, it MAY not be the die that is the problem but the chamber of your gun
- at least this has to be taken into account.
If you still have the 470 I think you have (R.F. Made on the Continent), chamber dimensions
MAY need to be taken into account even more so - your chambers MAY be minimum spec,
the dies may not quite take the brass down to minimum dimensions - result - tight brass.

The other factor is Bell Ammo.

I distribute BELL Ammo in Australia have tested a lot of cases in a lot of guns
(8 x 500 Nitro's, at least 6 x 500 BP's, 12+ x 470's, 20 x 450/400's) and where the
brass has been tight, it is often a particular gun that has had minimum chamber dimensions.

In addition, the base of Bell Ammo is thicker in the base and I have found it may need to be Full length
re sized to get it in the chamber and then it is fine after this.

Hope this helps.

Email me if you have any questions.

500 Nitro

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Big Bore Reloading Dies [Re: 500Nitro]
      #4719 - 02/11/03 06:13 PM

As I mentioned in my post, original Kynoch 470 ammo drops into the chambers perfectly with no dramas.
Also OLD BELL formed cases also drop into the chambers perfectly.
This would indicate the problem is not the chambers.
The dies are definately at fault as a case formed in the full length die ends up with the shoulder a long way forward of a Kynoch round.
Actually the shoulder is a full 160 thou further forward than Kynoch and OLD BELL!!!!
The tightness does not occur at the base of the case.

The bottom line is that the ONLY cases which are tight are ones formed in those dies.

500Nitro
.450 member

#4720 - 02/11/03 06:34 PM

I had this problem as well with one set of dies. I had 30 thou ground off the bottom
so the shoulder was then in the correct place.

Alternatively, buy another set of dies.

Better still, EMAIL ME as I may have a spare set of 470 Nitro dies on hand that you can buy.
Will try to get a look on Tuesday.

500 Nitro

4seventy
Sponsor

#4723 - 02/11/03 10:53 PM

I should clarify that when I mentioned OLD BELL cases these are actually NEW unfired fully formed cases but are OLD STOCK from the 80's with all capital letters for BELL on the headstamp.

I did consider at one stage grinding some off the bottom of the FL die but machined up another die instead and it works fine.

I just found it dissapointing that a well known die manufacturer who charges big money for this type of die set, is incapable of producing a FL die that puts the shoulder in the correct place on the case.

500Nitro
.450 member

#4728 - 03/11/03 03:55 AM

4seventy

A manufacturer should replace the dies if they are not up to Scratch.

I have no problem swapping dies out from my supplier in the US if a problem occured
- in fact even though I said I thought I may have cracked the die,
they still said it was not a problem and on receipt of mine sent me a new one, no questions asked.

500 Nitro

4seventy
Sponsor

#4734 - 03/11/03 10:36 AM

So getting back to my original question, who makes the best reloading dies for Nitro Express cartridges?

500Nitro
.450 member

#4736 - 03/11/03 02:28 PM

RCBS - For overall high quality and that IMHO they get the dimensions correct

Yes they cost more, but you get what you pay for.

(The dies I had to get shortened were NOT made by RCBS).

500 Nitro

4seventy
Sponsor

#4757 - 04/11/03 01:03 PM

RE
"Yes they cost more, but you get what you pay for".

I used to think that once myself.
Not anymore though!

docEE
.224 member

Reged: 06/11/03
Loc: Minnesota, USA
      #4794 - 06/11/03 11:39 AM

I hope to come up with my own opinion about RCBS 470 NE dies soon. I have dies from CH-4D that were very reasonably priced, but they have problems in resizing: The neck is left too large in diameter, so that the bullet slides loosely in the neck, and the mouth of the sizing die shears brass off my cases. I could try to chamfer or lap the opening to help with the latter, but would be left with the former problem. Today I spoke to RCBS and described my issues. They are selling me the sizing die for about the same price I got my other 3-die set for.

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Big Bore Reloading Dies [Re: docEE]
      #4796 - 06/11/03 12:08 PM

docEE, Good to have you here.
I'll be keen to know how you get on once you try out your new sizing die.
This morning I sent an email to the manufacturer regarding the problem with my full length die so we'll see what happens.
I eventually found a drawing with the case dimensions for 470 and it shows a neck length of .750" With a cartridge length of 3 1/4".
My full length die only produces a neck length of about .600" with the shellholder in full contact with the bottom of the die and the case trimmed to 3 1/4".
Old Kynoch cartridges that I have show a neck length of about .760".
As a matter of interest what is the length of the neck on cases formed in your CH die?

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #4837 - 07/11/03 03:19 PM

4seventy:
Your resizing problem may be related to an incorrect shell-holder, rather than the die. Is the shell-holder the same brand as the FLS die? In a non-standard size like .470, there is likely to be quite a bit of variation. A die-maker can only judge the full-length dimensions against his own shell-holder.

I would NEVER grind down a die worth maybe a couple hundred bucks, when you can face off a shell-holder worth maybe 15 bucks for the same result!!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Big Bore Reloading Dies [Re: Marrakai]
      #4865 - 10/11/03 12:00 PM

Yeah, the shellholder is by the same maker as the dies.
You've got me thinking about taking some off it though.
Thanks

4seventy
Sponsor

#5572 - 10/12/03 02:42 PM

Ok Gents,
I have a bit of an update on my die drama.
Just received a reply email from the manufacturer which took one whole month.

They say that all their (standard non custom) 470 Nitro dies produced AFTER 8-12-99 have been made to CIP drawing dimensions.
These have a case body length of 2.401" and a shoulder angle of 7 Deg 4 min.

Now here comes the interesting bit.
They have identified my 470 die set as being made in 1990 and that it is a standard, non custom set.

Their records show that my 1990 dies were made with a case body length of 2.570" and a shoulder angle of 14 Degrees!
THAT is a BIG difference!
2.570 inches and 2.401 inches!!!!

Now this means the shoulder ends up a long way forward (approx 160 thou) when using my die compared to their current die.

The old original Kynoch loaded rounds that I have show very similar dimensions to their current CIP dimensions, so why on earth did they produce dies with totally different dimensions to those of the original cartridge?

Why did it take untill 1999 to get the dimensions right on a cartridge which was designed pre 1910?

They have suggested that I could take the dies back to the place where I bought them and ask for my money back!
Yeah right!
The way I see it the manufacturer should at least replace the sizing die as it seems to me that THEY got the dimensions wrong in the first place.

Any advice on this one?

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #5574 - 10/12/03 04:25 PM

You're right. It is a manufacturing problem as I see it. Are you going to get a new set? Who is the manufacturer?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
Re: Big Bore Reloading Dies [Re: mickey]
      #5575 - 10/12/03 05:19 PM

It seems to me that RCBS, (am I right?), should step up to the plate and make this problem go away. I believe I would call them as opposed to email. Maybe follow up with a hard copy letter via snail mail.

My first set of dies were a used set of CH tools. I was not impressed with the machine work and the previous owner had treated them poorly. I re-sold them at a loss, (the price one pays for honesty), and purchased a set of RCBS dies.

I've only been loading the 500 NE for several months now, but I'm very pleased with the dies. I did have a new seater plug machined to better fit the Hawk 600s that I shoot so much as the factory plug was mashing the soft nose of the bullet more than I thought necessary.

Hope this works for out for you... keep us posted.

-Holmes

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #5576 - 10/12/03 05:33 PM

4seventy:

I'm new here and didn't see this thread when I went through the old stuff. This is something I've noticed and wondered about - a lot - for long time.

I've just measured some old Kynoch factory .470 (loaded in 1972) and a few of same fired in a Rigby best boxlock ejector built in 1910. Length to shoulder of the loaded round is 2.450" and length to shoulder of the fired case is 2.455". I've never measured this before with respect to this particular rifle and I'm amazed. I've never seen those two measurements that close between old Kynoch and the chambers of a pre-war English double rifle before.

I've stared in wonder many times at the obvious difference in that measurement when shooting factory Kynoch in English doubles. With respect to my current .450/.400 3" the length to shoulder difference between old Kynoch and a case fired in my chambers is .100". The difference in my old .450/.400 3 1/4" is .200". The difference for my .400/.360 Purdey is .120". With virtually all of the other nitro doubles that I shot or loaded for, the difference was quite visible.

I bought my .450/.400 (3" & 3 1/4") and .400/.360 dies off the shelf (non-custom) from RCBS. All three sizing dies, screwed all the way down, just kiss the shoulder of cases fired in my rifles - it doesn't get any better. Since factory ammo is such a loose fit, I've always wondered how RCBS got their specs so close to the chambers.

I take the CIP standards with a 10 pound sack of salt. They are an attempt to establish standards 100 years after the fact. Based on what I've seen, the pre-war Brit gun and ammunition makers simply did not adhere to any collective standardization trade-wide. Britain did not become a CIP member until 1980. Chamber measurements, groove diameters and bullet diameters bounced from hell to breakfast. Trying to standardize it now is a joke. I'm sitting here looking at an old Kynoch (loaded in 1967) .450/.400 3" NE and a new one from the new Kynoch (Kynamco) loaded to CIP standards in 1997. At a glance, then a double take, then a REALLY close look....nope, one of those boxes is labelled wrong. Excepting the headstamp, no experienced shooter would conclude that they are the same cartridge. Shoulder diameter of old vs new is .515" vs .495" and there is a 1/4" difference in the length of the neck (and yes, overall case length of the new is 3", not 3 1/4")! If the new cartridge is at CIP spec, original Kynoch would not chamber in a new CIP spec chamber - at least not without a 10 pound hammer! Small wonder to me that RCBS .470 specs changed so much when they switched to CIP specs.

To summarize the above disjointed observations, here is what I think happened. The US is not a member of CIP. Standards here are SAAMI. There are no SAAMI standards for the .470 Nitro Express or any of the other British flanged nitros, or at least not until very recently, and as I said above, there doesn't appear to have been much agreement about what the standards were within the British trade itself until CIP. When folks started reloading for the flanged nitros here, dies were custom shop items and were made from cases fired in the customer's rifle. When the need to make die sets for stock arose due to increasing demand, my guess is that RCBS probably reviewed the custom specs and arrived at a "standard" that seemed to have worked for most of their customers. I think this is why my dies fit so well, even though the dimensions of the sized cases differ so much from old Kynoch. When that "standard" didn't work for someone, custom dies were made. In recent years, I've known a couple guys who had to do it this way, but most of the time the standard dies work fine. I used standard RCBS dies when I loaded .470.

It sounds like your rifle is chambered a tad tighter than most and that may be because it is from a continental maker. Who knows? Time for a custom sizing die. Good luck.
------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Big Bore Reloading Dies [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #5582 - 11/12/03 11:43 AM

Thanks for the response fellas, I do appreciate it.
I now have a much better understanding regarding the different chamber and cartridge specs that the die makers have to contend with.
Yes, I have seen the sometimes big difference between original Kynoch ammo and fired cases.

I have decided to stay with the set up that I've been using for the last couple of years, rather than push for a replacement die set.

I use a die of my own manufacture to set the shoulder position and diameter so that the brass drops into either chamber with no binding but also with minimum clearance for optimum case life.

For me, little problems like this one involving sizing the cases, are part of the fun of owning and shooting double rifles.
It gives me a lot of pleasure machining double bits and pieces on the lathe.

Then of course the ultimate pleasure comes when you hunt with a rifle that works well, partly as a result of the personal time and effort put in by its owner.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4043

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com