Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting Banteng

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Hunting Banteng
      #4642 - 29/10/03 07:34 PM

Ive heard of Banteng being refered to as the Champagne of buffalo ,and they are pretty expensive to hunt. What is the main attraction of Banteng. Is it because they are less common? or there looks. Excuse my ignorance. I would like to get one one day and would like to learn more about them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Hunting Banteng [Re: cr500]
      #22409 - 19/12/04 05:10 PM

Mate,
yaama,

Banteng are not expensive to hunt, like life's lessons it is who you know, not what you think you know i.e. have respect for the traditional owners. In short; if you have due regard for same you are treated as "mob", and of course with the obligations that this entails.

This is a subject best explored in private correspondence and free of domain overview.

wulyu karrawarra

kamilaroi

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Hunting Banteng [Re: kamilaroi]
      #22432 - 20/12/04 08:05 AM

Forget the Champagne O Buffalo mate,when it comes to Buff get into Mbogo and forget the rest of the wild cattle types,they always seem to be compared to Cape Buff...cant, never could,never will ever make the grade or be considered to be anything near a true buff,mistaking body size for trophy potential dosent work...eg go back in time and knock over a diprotodon,all it will give you is a heap of meat...thats it!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #22749 - 28/12/04 01:13 PM

CR500

You are not alone in wanting to hunt banteng. And also finding it difficult to afford!

Banteng are more expensive as they are less common than waer buffalo with the wild herds being more or less confined to the Coburg Peninsula which is traditional Aboriginal land and National Park. The hunting rights there are leased to two (I think?) outfitters though other outfitters sub-lease hunts there for their clients. I believe there are also banteng on a fenced property in the Top End as well.

Banteng are one of the Asian Wild Oxen or Cattle, the other being Gaur (or Seladang). Gaur had a more fierce reputation but both can not be legally hunted nowadays in India or other parts of Asia. In days gone-by they were among much sought after trophies of India and SE Asia. In fact my WJ Jeffrey has some elementary engraving of a Gaur on his action.

A picture of a male gaur. With the permission of www.ultimateungulate.com

A discussion thread on Gaur - Blacker than Black Death.

Still need to get a live photo of a good banteng bull. Can anyone help?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Re: Hunting Banteng [Re: NitroX]
      #22751 - 28/12/04 03:04 PM

Jeeze ,those Guar look pretty mean. It would be good to breed up a few wild herds of them in some big cattle property.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#22756 - 28/12/04 04:15 PM

I see Ulimate Ungulate has good photos of Banteng now. I had permission from them to use any of their 'wild ox' photos.

All of these three images are from the http://www.ultimateungulate.com website.

Link to Ulimate Ungulate's fact sheet on Banteng

--------------------
John aka NitroX

shehuntz
.224 member

Reged: 20/03/04
Loc: Geelong, Victoria, Australia.
      #23199 - 02/01/05 06:33 PM

This is a nice one.

You can find out some more on them here; banteng

It would be hard decision to choose between just a shoulder mount or a 1/2 lifesize mount, with the beautiful colouration in the hide and legs.

dstoj
.224 member

Reged: 14/08/04
Re: Hunting Banteng [Re: shehuntz]
      #23440 - 04/01/05 10:55 AM

Banteng are a nice animal in to veiw in the wild, I found them to be as alert as a 'swichted on' buffalo.
IMO they could not be found in a more scenic and remote landscape.

Here are a couple of pics taken some time ago.

Though taken with the bow this bull was despatched because of its unwell state.

Head ranger of Coburg Peninsula at the time with a Banteng cow taken fro the school fete.

ds

tunofun
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Darwin, NT, Australia
      #31183 - 15/05/05 12:24 PM

Coburg Penninsula is absolutely infested with them! I was there fishing in '03 and saw so many it was beyond a joke, I really wished I had brough the 'silent hunter', my crossbow!
One of my good mates' dad is the senior sgt at the Oenpelli police station and I got an invite to hunt up there on traditional land later on in the year so I am stoked! Apparently it is all shot for butchering and we can take as many as we like, as long as we don't damage the choice meat and bring all the carcases in to the meatworks. I'll have to mount a winch on the tray of my ute...

I love the territory! I'll let you guys know how I go, should be around September...

--------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud -- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

tunofun
.300 member

Re: Hunting Banteng [Re: gryphon]
      #31184 - 15/05/05 12:26 PM

In reply to:

...eg go back in time and knock over a diprotodon, all it will give you is a heap of meat...thats it!

I wouldn't mind one of those in the trophy room!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Hunting Banteng [Re: tunofun]
      #31194 - 15/05/05 03:04 PM

In reply to:

Coburg Penninsula is absolutely infested with them! I was there fishing in '03 and saw so many it was beyond a joke ......... I got an invite to hunt up there on traditional land later on in the year so I am stoked! Apparently it is all shot for butchering and we can take as many as we like, as long as we don't damage the choice meat and bring all the carcases in to the meatworks.

That is good to know. I was told of a guy that might be able to get me onto banteng through permission from the traditional owners. Then I was told by an outfitter that it is all poaching.

Traditional land is tradtional land and as an introduced species ......

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tunofun
.300 member

#31214 - 15/05/05 10:31 PM

In reply to:

That is good to know. I was told of a guy that might be able to get me onto banteng through permission from the traditional owners. Then I was told by an "official outfitter" that it is all poaching and he would "dob" in anyone doing it.

IF the traditional land owners give you permission, you are free to do as you please, this guy obviously doesn't want anyone getting onto 'his' spread to hunt!

Most of the ones I saw were young but there were 5-6 really good bulls amongst them.

I heard a story once about a PH who bought a pet banteng from an old lady in Adelaide River that was truly massive and released it into a paddock he knew. He then proceeded to ring a wealthy American hunter and tell him he should get over here soon to bag it. After taking the bloke shooting for a few days away from the paddock, told him that that bull must be around here somewhere and took him into the paddock the next day. The bloke bagged the banteng and paid a hefty trophy fee for it too. On his way home he told the story to an aussie hunter on the plane who knew what had happened. The aussie bloke kept his mouth shut and the guy was beaming about his massive trophy!

--------------------

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #31218 - 15/05/05 11:03 PM

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think you can legally wander into Cobourg and shoot a banteng without a tag. I mean it is a National Park!!! Recreational hunting is strictly controlled by the Gurig Board and all hunters must go with the licenced outfitters - it's plain and simple. Just ask the Alaskan hunter who has his Banteng trophy impounded at Darwin at the moment because he chose the wrong outfitter!

The company I work for has permission from the traditional owners to hunt part of Cobourg but we do not have a permit so we do not go near the place. All of our banteng hunts are sub-contracted to one of the licence holders. Don't you think if there was a loophole as you suggest we would be exploiting it.

If you want to do it illegally well be my guest but I wouldnt advise publishing your misdemenours on the Internet!

Best

Matt Graham

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

tunofun
.300 member

Re: Hunting Banteng [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #31221 - 16/05/05 12:09 AM

OK Matt, you have made your point! No need to get riled up. I wasn't aware that "all hunters must go with the licenced outfitters", at Coburg. I have never hunted Coburg but was under the impression that if you had permission from the traditional land owners then you could do so as with the rest of the territory. You can't hunt buffalo on crown land but if the land is held by the traditional owners and you have their permission to hunt them, then you can, right?

When I said 'hunt up there' I was reffering to Oenpelli, not Coburg.

Sorry to anyone who took my post as fact, I was obviously going off incorrect information. Sorry Matt, my mistake.

--------------------

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #31263 - 16/05/05 10:45 PM

Ha, ha, I'm not riled up at all friend! I just think you need to be very, very careful about what you publish on the Internet, especially in a space with such a wide readership as NE. People can and do get themselves into strife.

You were quite specific in the area you were talking about (Coburg - not Oenpelli) and you are quite correct about the access to aboriginal land however Coburg/Gurig (or whatever it's called now) is a different kettle of fish.

In fact it is the same as Kakadu NP - if only we only needed to get TO's permission to hunt there. It would be open slather!

Best
Matt G

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Hunting Banteng [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #31266 - 17/05/05 12:47 AM

Matt, I did some judicious editing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5361

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com