Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: NE450No2]
      #45307 - 30/12/05 08:44 PM

Grizzly. . . .That may be the best post I've ever read!

I am afraid that I must take issue with NE450#2. Even if he is a good friend, and fellow founding member of the DRSS, he has never dropped a case!

At our last DRSS hunt, we had the pleasure of watching his double rifle safari. In the face of charging elephants he still took the time to pull the cases and place them in his pocket. Fire, break, pull, place, pull new rounds from the butt stock cartridge holder, load, close, bring to battery! An amazing, well practiced series of motion.

Rumor has it, that he has put one case on the ground, but none of us have ever witness this!

As I have stated before, ejectors are nice I have them, I prefer extractors.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Grizzly
.333 member

Reged: 05/12/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA
Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: Rusty]
      #45326 - 31/12/05 03:58 AM

Now that is impressive!

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #45327 - 31/12/05 04:13 AM

Rusty
Actually after my first 2 body shots on the bull,when I reloaded I dropped those 2 cases on purpose, for a quicker reload, so I could follow up with more body shots,as the first shot stopped him in his tracks for just a second or two. He then spun around and came for us. He went a short distance and fell down [broken leg]. As he got back up I brained him, and he went right down. I did pocket that case on the one bbl reload, then ran up and from poing blank [4 feet or so] fired one round kneeling [to get the right angle] into the back of the head. Did a single bbl reload, dropping the case on purpose, then firing a second shot int the back of the head, then doing another single bbl reload I dropped that case on purpose as well. I did pick them up before I got up however. I then later recovered the first two cases I dropped.
So I have dropped a few cases when reloading my doubles but it is always on purpose.

I will add this:
I think the most important factor in getting a quick reload with a double is where you have the extra rounds, not whether you have an extractor or an ejector gun. I carry rounds on the buttstock of the gun, and when in a hurry reload from the buttstock carrier. I replace rounds in the buttstock carrier from my belt as soon as possible.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #45331 - 31/12/05 04:40 AM

Grizzly, your back!

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: bonanza]
      #45337 - 31/12/05 05:36 AM

Back? Heck I din't even know he had gone!
Grizzly's a good man! Glad to have you back, although like I said, didn't even know I was supposed to miss ya!

Hey Bonanza-
have you taken possession of the Hollis yet?

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #45347 - 31/12/05 07:16 AM

NE450No2

You got it in one when you said
"I will add this:
I think the most important factor in getting a quick reload with a double is where you have
the extra rounds, not whether you have an extractor or an ejector gun."

Your description of how you get rid of the empties (flip the gun) is similar to how I do
it and with having the new rounds close it makes reloading and Extractor gun very fast.

As you have obviously found out by Hunting DG, it sure makes you work out
which methods work fast and which don't.

500 Nitro

bonanza
.400 member

#45348 - 31/12/05 07:39 AM

Yes, it came in last night around 7:00pm and I played whit it until 10:00 pm. It's much nicer than the photos show. I did the paper test on the face and water tables and she's smack on. It had a few buggered screws and some were not original, but hey - it's 100 years old! The wood has been refinished and the checkering was re-pointed. There is a little pitting under the forestock and barrels. The action shows some corrosion on the scroll work that has been cleaned up. I lubricated all the bearing surface with brilyes grease dropped a little Berretta oil in the firing pins. I’ve sent off the barrels to be slugged and x-rayed. I’m not shooting that sucker until I’m sure there are no hidden flaws.

--------------------

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"Yo! Mr. White"

bonanza
.400 member

For Grizzly [Re: Grizzly]
      #45349 - 31/12/05 07:43 AM

"I am picking up my first DR in January, and it is an ejector."

Care to let us know nore about this, or is it going to be a suprise?????

--------------------

"Yo! Mr. White"

Grizzly
.333 member

Re: For Grizzly [Re: bonanza]
      #45351 - 31/12/05 09:16 AM

Sure. It is a double rifle, barrels are side by side. Two triggers. There is a little lever thing on the back, and when you push it to the side, IT OPENS UP!

Still trying to locate where the belt feed goes; can't tell from the pictures. And the tripod mount is probably extra

It is a HEYM 470 NE with one of the best pieces of wood I have seen. Chopper lump with a greener crossbolt. Cocking indicators, 24 inch barrels. 9 pounds 6 ounces.

The Armadillos are already quaking in ther little shoes!

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: For Grizzly [Re: Grizzly]
      #45352 - 31/12/05 09:17 AM

Very nice. Mind if I ask how much?

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: 500Nitro]
      #45369 - 31/12/05 10:42 AM

In reply to:

4seventy

"Anyone who thinks they can operate a non ejector as fast as an ejector double,
does not know how to use the ejector gun properly IMO."

Speak for yourself.

I use multiple DR's both with and without Ejectors and through practice have learnt
to reload an Extractor gun NEARLY as fast as an Ejector gun. It takes a lot of practice to
become proficent in the reloading method but it is very fast and removes much of the
"double handling" (moving your hands around the gun) you sometimes see when
users are relaoding.

Yes, I am speaking for myself.
You see like yourself I also spent a lot of time practicing and perfecting field reloading extractor doubles untill I too could load them almost as fast as ejector guns.
But I didn't stop there.
Instead I then spent years practicing and perfecting field reloading EJECTOR guns.
IMO ejectors are superior when dealing with Dangerous Game which is what this thread is supposed to be dealing with.

Grizzly
.333 member

Re: For Grizzly [Re: bulldog563]
      #45379 - 31/12/05 12:29 PM

Mr. Cartwright (aka Bonanza)

The cost is always too much. But for this deal I compared, compared and compared.

I'll use the Searcy comparison as the base. You can pick up a plain Jane Searcy in 470 for $9500. No knock on Searcy, but it is in my opinion, a crap piece of wood (which most DR makers put out) and not much in terms of what you want in a double.

The Searcy base 470 goes for $9500 in 2005. Chopper lump barrels are an additional $4000. Interlocking sears are at least another $1250. And I could not find anti doubling on Searcy as an option (interlocking sears don't do it all).

A real nice piece of wood adds $1000.

No cocking indicators on a Searcy (and not sure if that this available as an additinal cost).

Oh, and the Heym is 3 bite with a greener cross.

What did I agree to pay?

That is between me and Charles. I will tell you that both of us are happy with the deal. Meaning I probably paid too much and Charles accepted too little. But we are both happy, and I will shout the praises of a Heym if it shoots where I point it.

Among all of the rifles I have, only three meet that standard. A Mauser 98 Magnum in 416 Rigby; A Dakota African in 416 Rigby and 338 Lapua (both are spot on) and a light Weatherby 300 Win Mag, which compares to my non hunting rifles.

On the non hunting side, I have an Accuracy International 338 Lapua that shoots .1 MOA at 200 yards; a 400 BAS that set an informal record of 4 inches at 1000 yards off a bipod (informal because it was not a match event); a 50 BMG AI bolt gun that puts a bullet in the reticles every time at 1500 meters, and a Barrett BMG 50 Semi that can hit a pie plate every time at 1000 yards. Every time.

With these rifles, it is not my marksmanship. It is the rifle. It is a joy to find a rifle that shoots better than the shooter can.

For inquiring minds, the 400 BAS is a prototype rifle. It eliminates the 408 Chevy Tac from serious competition. With the proper scope and mounts, it is a one mile sooter.

But, I seriously digress. I am picking my new 9 pound baby up at the DSC in January.

And anyone reading this, please understand that I have shared all because of the good people here.

And the people here do not claim jump nor do they attempt to interfere with pending deals. That is just one of the reasons this is such a great site.

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: 4seventy]
      #45380 - 31/12/05 12:56 PM

This might begin to look like a Marrakai/4seventy tag team on the extractors vs ejectors topic, but since we're obviously in the minority here, I make no apology.

Here follows my opinion only, based on my experiences only:

I find the biggest problem with a fast reload on an extractor gun is that it gets 'out of alignment' when the empties are tipped out. The reload may indeed be quite fast, but getting the rifle back on line with the quarry is definitely slower for me. If the next pair of aimed shots is factored-in, I think I am probably faster flicking out the empties rather than tipping the gun up.

Tipping the gun up far enough to ensure the empties fall free immediately, requires a rotation to the side as well as tipping the barrels skyward. The whole thing then has to be brought back down and rotated back into line. Remember we are talking about 10 to 11 lb guns here. It is also very difficult to avoid the temptation to take one's eyes off the quarry to check that the cases have indeed fallen out before bringing the gun back down.

With an ejector gun, however, the barrels can remain pointed at the quarry during the whole operation. Down; open; reload; close; up; fire. If the gun is open, the empties are already out! The quarry sees very little movement during this operation, as opposed to the tipping out and rotating of an extractor gun.

Some of the differences of opinion here may also be due to the fact that much shooting of dangerous game these days occurs under very controlled conditions, where very deliberate shooting and reloading can take place, judging by Rusty's and NE450No2's descriptions. Putting a priority on not dropping cases is further evidence of this. Also, most of the reload practice probably takes place on the firing range. In Australia, we have literally millions of feral hogs to practice on, and plenty of buffalo in the north, and many of us hunt without guides, often alone. A good old Ozzie 'bomb-up' of a mob of pigs calls for some very fast shooting and reloading, the likes of which is probably not replicated anywhere else in the world. The techniques can't help but be different, on account of the vastly different hunting circumstances.

As Mickey, RLI, Rusty et al have already stated, it is a matter of personal preference, but no reason not to spice up a thread with a little dogma!

Just kidding, VIVA LA DIFFERENCE!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #45414 - 31/12/05 06:06 PM

I throw my empties on the ground then ask the trackers to go back and look for them. Those guys gotta do something to earn their $10/day tip!

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: For Grizzly [Re: Grizzly]
      #45419 - 31/12/05 06:38 PM

Grizzly,
What loads shoot the best in your Barrett 50?

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: Marrakai]
      #45421 - 31/12/05 07:14 PM

Marrakai:

In reply to:

Tipping the gun up far enough to ensure the empties fall free immediately, requires a rotation to the side as well as tipping the barrels skyward. The whole thing then has to be brought back down and rotated back into line.

??? Not picking on you, Marrakai, as several posters seem to be describing variations on the same theme....rotating, flipping, jerking, aiming at high incomers....Geez, guys, it isn't necessary to gyrate like an organ grinder monkey! If all of that is required to get the cases to fall out, the gun is in serious need of repair.

Once the gun is open, primary extraction has taken place, and the extractors have lifted the empty cases out 3/8". Since the flanged nitros have a fair bit of body taper, the empty cases are lying loose in the chambers. Flanged nitro cases are heavy and the case head is the heaviest part, so it takes very little elevation past the horizontal for gravity to do it's work.

In reply to:

With an ejector gun, however, the barrels can remain pointed at the quarry during the whole operation. Down; open; reload; up; fire.

Yeah, that's pretty much the way I do it with an ejector, or an extractor. I don't vary it with either gun. I pay no attention to the empties, and make no conscious, extra motion to clear the chambers with either gun. For me, as I open the gun, the barrels just naturally end up very slightly muzzle-high. The chambers are clear as soon as the gun is fully open, ejectors or extractors.
--------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #45422 - 31/12/05 07:29 PM

I must say I have seen 400 Nitro and Rusty shoot and reload. They are plenty quick. However most of the time when they shoot, they do not need to reload.

I will say again,on a stopwatch, I can reload an ejector gun a little faster than an extractor gun.
However most of the time they are a slight pain the ass, as most of the time you are not in THAT big of a hurry to reload.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #45423 - 31/12/05 07:40 PM

This is going to sound argumentative, but that is not my motive at all so apologies in advance. I just tried it in my lounge-room with the .577 x 2 3/4 and my .500/.450 x 3 1/2, and no way do those empties fall out until the barrels are at least 45 degrees, and to be reliable every time, closer to 70 or 80 degrees.

Perhaps this is cartridge dependent, because "very little elevation past the horizontal' and "very slightly muzzle-high" certainly don't result in case extraction in my non-ejector guns.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #45427 - 31/12/05 09:40 PM

I don't believe you need to lift the barrels of an extractor gun
hardly at all.

After firing the 2nd barrel, as I open the gun I am already
tipping it so by the time it is open the cases fall out. By this stage
my Right hand is already getting the 2 new rounds out ready
to load and by the time you have them ready the Left hand
has already righted the gun.

And you don't need to take your eyes off the game that much.

Marrakai is also right in saying that we get alot more practice
in Australia shooting doubles on game - not just one or two
shots but wading into herds of Pigs etc etc (I won't say what
else we practice on !!!) and apart from practice at the range
this type of shooting does make you fast.

500 Nitro

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: 500Nitro]
      #45430 - 01/01/06 12:10 AM

Well, guys,

I'll throw in my $0.02 worth. Maybe not worth even that much.

First let me say I have hunted a lot with DR's, both with ejectors and extractors, but mostly deer. No DG. We don't have DG in Virginia. I hunted black bears in British Columbia with a DR and bagged two. It's an ejector rifle. I really haven't encountered a situation where I had to reload my DR at top speed.

On the other hand, with what little wingshooting experience I have, I find ejectors help with getting back into battery. I've used both ejectors and extractors on my shotguns. I'll take ejectors over extractors. Now let me say that a shotgun shell isn't going to slide out of the chamber like a tapered brass shell. You've got to give them a tug.

John Taylor wrote that he favored extractors. His reason was the sound of the ejector. He went to great length to explain that DG quarry generally will not locate the hunter from the sound of the shot. He was emphatic that the DG quarry would instantly pinpoint the "ping" of an ejector, and the hunter could thereby meet his Maker. He went so far as to say that his practice was to disable ejectors in any rifle so equipped. In summary, my point is that he was not basing his conclusion on the speed of reloading, but on the silence of that operation. That's a totally different criteria from what is being discussed here.

As an aside, let me say I can't explain why an elephant would be confused by a rifle shot but would pinpoint the sound of an ejector. Taylor was of strong conviction on that point. I'll take his word for it. But it sure makes my curious mind wonder why the great British makers of large bore DR's persisted in putting ejectors on them if ejectors were sure death in a fray.

Now I admit freely that I'm just a talking dog on this subject, having never stepped ashore on the continent of Africa. The ducks, quail, pheasant, and doves I have pestered don't give a shit about the ping of an ejector, and they can't stomp me if they do.

One last thing about Taylor. Through most of his book he bad-mouths single triggers. I agree. I hate them. Then in the end of the book he softens on the Westley Richards single trigger. I don't believe a damn word he said about the WR trigger was sincere. He wouldn't have changed his mind like that. Frankly, I don't believe somebody who shot double triggers all his life could successfully convert to single trigger. I have little or no experience compared to Taylor, but DT's are hard-wired into my brain stem. If I shoot a ST gun the first shot goes off, then I find myself yanking the rear of the trigger guard. I think Taylor would have done this with a vengence. I bet WR graced his palm. But who knows?

Submitted in dark ignorance,
Curl

P.S.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL. My sincere best wishes for a safe and prosperous new year.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: CptCurl]
      #45431 - 01/01/06 12:37 AM

I think Taylor might have had a valid point. A gunshot could be the breaking of a branch or the crack of lightning. It probably doesn't sound as unusual to African animals as a metalic click of ejectors or the ring of brass. But Taylors hunting was much different from what we practice now. He could take multiple Ele's in one sitting which is not realistic in todays world....at least for most of us so I don't think it is a valid concern in todays hunting world.

About the single triggers, there were hunters like Sutherland who preferred ejector single triggered DR's. He says the single trigger is a vast improvement over the double trigger due to its being much quicker. He also states that he used the double trigger for years but switched to the single and preferred it. His 577 was a Westley Richards and he said he had never had a malfunction with the single trigger or the ejectors due to how good the Westley Richards designs was. Personally I would rather have double triggers in case of a malfunction but if it worked for Sutherland odds are it will work for the amount of hunting we do in this decade.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Edited by bulldog563 (01/01/06 12:59 AM)

Grizzly
.333 member

Re: For Grizzly [Re: NE450No2]
      #45440 - 01/01/06 03:00 AM

The Barrett is not really that pickey about what goes through it.

Vihtavouri 20N29 powder with A Max 750 bullets is a pretty consistent combination. WIth lighter bulets like 647 grains the N49 or Hodgen 50 powder works better in the Barrett.

I use CH dies and a monster CH press.

The real fun stuff is surplus Armor piercing incendiary. Just have to a bit careful when running those through the swaging process. The die for that is also from CH.

I have not yet tried the Lapua 50 caliber bullets (just a bit pricey). The new 50 bullets from Lost River look real interesting, but at $45 for 20 bullets, I'll wait until someone else does the load development work. That is closing in on the cost of fully loaded military surplus, and the Barret likes mil surplus just fine, which is a good thing for a 10 round semi automatic.

I did buy some 800 grain bullets from Gerard Schultz at GS custom, but have not yet had the oppportunity to work up any loads for them.

--------------------
SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member
DRSS Member

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #45449 - 01/01/06 05:56 AM

Marrakai:

Okay, I tried an experiment of my own. I have some plywood hurricane shutters tacked up on the wall in the garage. Using a level, I scribed a horizontal line, then an intersecting line at 15degrees, and another at 20 degrees. Holding my .400 up with the barrels level, then slowly tipping them up, fired cases won't stay in the gun past 15 degrees.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: CptCurl]
      #45450 - 01/01/06 06:00 AM

In reply to:

I really haven't encountered a situation where I had to reload my DR at top speed.

On the other hand, with what little wingshooting experience I have, I find ejectors help with getting back into battery. I've used both ejectors and extractors on my shotguns. I'll take ejectors over extractors. Now let me say that a shotgun shell isn't going to slide out of the chamber like a tapered brass shell. You've got to give them a tug.

The above is why I'm reluctant to advise the use of a double barreled shotgun to practice quick reloads. The use of all brass shells helps some but shot shells generally do not slide out easily, and are too large, and difficult to place between the fingers for the quick re-charge of the chambers. The flat point doesn't help either. Rifle cartridges are far more streamlined, and are much better for this purpose.

In reply to:

John Taylor wrote that he favored extractors. His reason was the sound of the ejector. He went to great length to explain that DG quarry generally will not locate the hunter from the sound of the shot. He was emphatic that the DG quarry would instantly pinpoint the "ping" of an ejector, and the hunter could thereby meet his Maker. He went so far as to say that his practice was to disable ejectors in any rifle so equipped. In summary, my point is that he was not basing his conclusion on the speed of reloading, but on the silence of that operation. That's a totally different criteria from what is being discussed here. As an aside, let me say I can't explain why an elephant would be confused by a rifle shot but would pinpoint the sound of an ejector. Taylor was of strong conviction on that point.

I believe the silence is a key to not haveing to reload so fast to take more than one animal, which was Taylor's purpose. Stopping a charge is a different matter. His need to take as many elephant as he could in close relation to each other was not hendered by the very matalic sound of brass "PINGING" against each other in flight from the rifle. The sound of a rifle shot is not matalic, nor is it foreign to elephant! Elephant feeding in trees can be heard from a mile away by deaf shooters. The breaking of large branches, and even snapping off of tree trunks, sounds exactly like rifle shots. This is not a bother to other animals, in the area either, and you don't see any animal fleeing the sounds of those cracks! Simply rack the bolt on a rifle, or bang against the steel on the bakki,in that same area, and see how many Ele you see, within a mile, in two minutes, along with every other animal within hearing.

In reply to:

But it sure makes my curious mind wonder why the great British makers of large bore DR's persisted in putting ejectors on them if ejectors were sure death in a fray.

The Britts installed them on their rifles in about the same ratio as they do today, and the ejectors are disabled in just about the same ratio as at the turn of the 20th century. If they are available I always will buy a double with ejectors, then disable them on big bore doubles. Some of the smaller rifles I leave them. 450 is right, however, they are a pain in the ass in most cases, especially on the fireing range. The reason I will buy them over the extractor rifle is, they can be disabled, but an extractor can't easily be made into an ejector rifle. The fact that the rifle has ejectors, may be the only thing that sells the rifle when I'm ready to sell it.

In reply to:

One last thing about Taylor. Through most of his book he bad-mouths single triggers. I agree. I hate them. I have little or no experience compared to Taylor, but DT's are hard-wired into my brain stem. If I shoot a ST gun the first shot goes off, then I find myself yanking the rear of the trigger guard. I think Taylor would have done this with a vengence.

I, also, do not like single triggers, even on shotguns. Like you, I also find myself pulling at the back of the trigger guard. That is not the real reason I will NOT have a single trigger on a dangerous game double. Here I will be hearing about all the compition guys who use them for thousands of rounds without a malfunction, but that doesn't hold water, they may never break on a double rifle either, but if they do, JUST ONCE, you are left with a 10 lb club, instead of a single shot rifle! NOW, I ask you which would you rather with an EL closeing on you fast, a 10 lb club, or a big bore single shot rifle? A clay pigeon flying off into the brush, isn't going to hurt anyone.

Now! I'll open another can of worms here, THE AUTO SAFETY I will not have one on a double of mine, that is used for a DGR!

In reply to:

Submitted in dark ignorance,
Curl

I don't believe that Curl! Nobody that has owned as many fine double rifles as you could be in the dark on their features, or their use! One doesn't have to go to Africa to learn to use a double rifle on game, and in many cases, like hog hunting, re-load fast to take more than one animal out of a mob! Australia is not the only place where there are big mobs of wild boar to be had with a double. Hell there are thousands of them in East Texas, alone, with no bag limit!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: EXTRACTOR Rifles for Dangerous Game [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #45465 - 01/01/06 09:44 AM

Mac,

As I recall, Taylor didn't want the "ping" of an ejector because he had stalked into a herd of elephants to get the bull. He thought the "ping" would cause the cows to stomp the crap out of him. Maybe I don't remember perfectly, but I think he was worried about the cows.

But that was Taylor. He certainly knew what he was talking about.

bulldog563,

I won't argue that somebody can "re-program" to single triggers. I just don't have the mentality to switch from double triggers to single triggers at a whim. If I shoot a DT gun, I just shoot and think nothing about the gun. If I shoot a ST trigger gun I have to concentrate on the triggers. If I am concentrating on the triggers, I am not concentrating on the target. If I concentrate on the target, I pull the trigger guard on the second shot. I'm sure if I were programed for ST guns (such as semi's) I would just keep pulling without moving my finger. Whether a ST on a DR is ok, I'll not say. I think they are ugly as hell. A DT on a shotgun gives me the instant choice of barrels. I wouldn't have a ST on a shotgun for any reason.

But who am I to say? Just another opinion.

Regards,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7973

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com