Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifle Accuracy

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Double Rifle Accuracy
      #4464 - 18/10/03 11:31 AM

I went to the range this morning to test out a standing bench I had made and test fire a new (to me) rifle. The new rifle is a 450/400 3 1/4 by Alexander Henry and is a nice package. Open sights and Claw mount with a 1.75x6 Leupold. An odd action that I have only seen in a 600NE before.

I also took a 450 3 1/4 Westley Richards that I have been trying to fine tune. The Westley is sticking on reopening. The lever is hanging up on the doll's head for some reason.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: mickey]
      #4465 - 18/10/03 01:02 PM

Wish I could get rifles like that to test!!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: Gibbs505]
      #4472 - 18/10/03 04:03 PM

Wish i could get rifles like that to hunt big game with

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #4473 - 18/10/03 08:15 PM

Geez mickey they don't shoot real well do they.
I could maybe take em off your hands if the price was right!
Just kidding of course, nice tight grouping indeed.
Yeah, I think Sullivan had a 577 nitro with a similar action in one of his videos. By Charles Osbourne I think.
From memory it had similar frame reinforce and was also shoe lump, but did not have side clips like yours.
How does yours shoot with the open sights?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #4474 - 19/10/03 05:11 AM

Mamma Mia.

That is some fine groups.

The .400 is very nice indeed. A beautiful rifle. And with a scope would make a great plains rifle as well at hunting ranges. I may have to revise my answer to your double or bolt action post.

That .450 really is a tack holder. And I assume the shots were not fired using a bench rest hold either. Very fine shooting!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mickey
.416 member

Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: NitroX]
      #4475 - 19/10/03 07:27 AM

Nitro

You are absolutely correct. I never use a bench or rest. All of my groups are shot after a 50 yard sprint offhand. Sometimes they are shot during a sprint over my left shoulder. This also is a favored hunting shot. I believe that either position replicates real time shooting.

4seventy

I have and they are 5" high and 3" right. Thsy need a bit of work yet.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Edited by mickey (19/10/03 07:33 AM)

4seventy
Sponsor

#4487 - 20/10/03 01:20 PM

mickey
So are the claw mounts original and if not was the rifle re- regulated when the scope was fitted?
Do both barrels still group together but just have a different point of impact, or do they shoot apart as well?(when using open sights)

mickey
.416 member

Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: 4seventy]
      #4488 - 20/10/03 02:13 PM

4seventy

The Claw Mounts are not original. They came with the rifle but I do not know where they came from. 500Nitro thinks they may be EAW but I'm not sure.

I do not know if the rifle was reregulated or it is a coincidence. The open sights shoot very close to the same group but up and to the right.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #4494 - 20/10/03 10:37 PM

In reply to:

You are absolutely correct. I never use a bench or rest. All of my groups are shot after a 50 yard sprint offhand. Sometimes they are shot during a sprint over my left shoulder. This also is a favored hunting shot. I believe that either position replicates real time shooting.

So really now. What sort of rest did you use? Resting your hands on sandbags? Interested from a practical point of view.

Your comments above remind me of a description in one of Bell's books, where he describes another ivory hunter whom from memory was armed with a 577 NE or 500 NE double and I believe a 318 WR bolt action. He would fire both barrels from the double into the ele's body and then chase after it firing off the whole magazine of his bolt action. Until the ele dropped or he ran out of bullets.

Precision shooting was NOT required.

I can't remember if he survived.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mickey
.416 member

Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: NitroX]
      #4497 - 21/10/03 02:46 AM

When I was up North I decided to build a shooting bench for something to do one day. After I got done I put together a shorter one that would sit on top of the new one to allow for standing up.

I added some take off legs for portability and now have a pretty sturdy, albeit ugly, stand up shooting bench for bigger bores.

Since I am a recoil pussy I have found that this substantially reduces felt recoil and allows for a rock solid and steady rest. It is very comfortable and works equally well for smaller calibers.

I also learned that I had forgotten how to weld in the the last 25 years.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

mickey
.416 member

#4506 - 22/10/03 02:08 AM

4seventy

I just got an email from the fellow who has the .600 in the similiar action. It is a Wilkinson built by Osborne. It seems like this may be an action that Osborne did for themselves and for others.

If anybody has more info I would appreciate it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

4seventy
Sponsor

#4519 - 22/10/03 01:43 PM

mickey
I've never actually handled a rifle with that type of action nor do I have anything in any of the books I own or have read, so I'd only be guessing about its origin.
I do like the look I must say and I bet that 600 is a sweet bit of gear!
Do you know if it has sideclips like your 400?
I might be really pushing my luck here but is there any chance of a photo of your Alex Henry with an open action so we can see extractors, barrel extension etc?
Thanks in advance.

mickey
.416 member

#4556 - 24/10/03 09:47 AM

4seventy

the Wilkinson 600 has no sideclips. I tried to post a picture but can't get it to work. Look here: http://www.gunsport.com/

Here are action pictures of my Alex Henry. I hope it is what you would like to see.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

4seventy
Sponsor

#4564 - 25/10/03 08:14 AM

mickey
That action has very nice lines and appears to have pretty well everything you would want in a boxlock double!
Looks like it has ejectors as well?
What a great hunting package it is with that chambering and a detachable scope!
I bet you are real pleased with yourself getting that one!
I reckon now you should buy that 600 then you could shoot them as a pair!!
Thanks again for the photos.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #4694 - 02/11/03 05:21 AM

mickey,

I think that the action of the gun was made in Belgium. I have seen quite a few like that and some
knowledgeable people have always said to me that these actions were from the Continent.
Re accuracy, that's great. I'll try to get round to posting some of my targets when I can find them.
I have a 450/400 that does the same and my H&H500/450 U/L Hammer used to shoot like that
all of the time.
500Nitro

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #4982 - 17/11/03 03:00 PM

Mickey
Nice looking and nice shooting rifles.
I have also seen a 600 by Wilkenson on that same action. Also I just saw a Charles Lancaster 450 No2 on what appears to be that same action at the Gun Vault on Fox Hill.

mickey
.416 member

Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: NE450No2]
      #4985 - 17/11/03 03:14 PM

I was told on another Board that the action was made by a gentleman named Lincoln Jefferies of Birmingham. This was his action and he later went to work designing and making air rifles for BSA.

I did find out that if I opened and closed it 3 times real fast it will shoot to a greater velocity.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

gaugedrifles
.224 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Missouri USA
      #5125 - 23/11/03 02:06 PM

Mick, I sure hope that my 450/400 3.25" EJ Churchill shoots as well as your AlexanderHenry 450/400 3.25" Double Rifle. Could you share details on your handload specs. My Churchill is marked on the barrel flats as follows: Cordite53GR Ball400GR MAX. Is this close to the AlexHenry marks? Do you handload close to the engravings on your rifle? Best Regards, Wes.

mickey
.416 member

Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: gaugedrifles]
      #5129 - 23/11/03 04:49 PM

Wes

My rifle is regulated for 55 grains cordite, 400 grain bullet.

My load is 81 grains 4831 no wadding. 2125 fps. I loaded to approximate velocity and then for accuracy..

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

gaugedrifles
.224 member

#5204 - 27/11/03 07:26 AM

Mick, Could I ask you for a Big Favor. I am going to have my Churchill restocked and we are going to use the photos of your Alexander Henry for the style of stock. The favor is: can you take some more photos of your Alexander Henry showing some different views and close-ups of the stock. This would include close-up of the wrist area from the receiver past the grip cap. Close up of the cheek piece. Overview of stock alignment with gun barrel so we can see the aproximate Drop at Heel and how strait the stock is alligned with the barrel. Possibly 4 or 5 photos would do it I believe. Thank you and Best Regards, Wes.

gaugedrifles
.224 member

Re: Double Rifle Accuracy [Re: gaugedrifles]
      #5277 - 29/11/03 05:28 AM

Mick, I received the great photos of your Alex Henry. They are just what I need for the EJ Churchill restoration. Thank you. Best Regards, Wes.

4seventy
Sponsor

#52421 - 14/03/06 05:46 PM

Wow, I had to go a long way back to find this!

Guys, if you scroll back to the beginning of this thread you'll find a photo of Mickeys Alex Henry 450-400 3 1/4.

I would like to find a 12 gauge shottie with the same style of action frame.
It does not have to have sideclips but it DOES have to have the large reinforcing areas similar to Micks gun.
Does anyone know of a 12 bore like that which is for sale?

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4826

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com