Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Twist? An easy question.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Twist? An easy question.
      #44210 - 17/12/05 09:21 AM

How does twist rate affect bullet performance? For example a Searcy 500 Double has a twist rate of 18. Why? what would happen if you increased or decreased the rate and how does bullet weight come into the picture? Is twist on a double different from a bolt? Any other info you guys could give me would be appreciated.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Twist? An easy question. [Re: bulldog563]
      #44215 - 17/12/05 09:37 AM

Bulldog,

Twist affects stabilisation of a bullet and to an extent determines how heavy
a bullet can be used. Re read articles on the 6mm Rem / .243 from years ago
as Remington got the twist wrong and Winchester got it right (with the 243).
It all had to do with Stabilising heavier bullets.

There are formulas for woking out the best twist and someone else here
is probably much better qualified to write about it.

500 Nitro

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Twist? An easy question. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #44216 - 17/12/05 09:41 AM

So heavier bullets need more twist?

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

500Nitro
.450 member

#44218 - 17/12/05 10:09 AM

I'll see if I can find my refernces to twist
and come back to you.

500 Nitro

mhb
.275 member

Reged: 20/09/05
Loc: S.E. Arizona
      #44220 - 17/12/05 10:20 AM

The rate of twist (rifling pitch) needed to stabilize a given bullet depends on its length (if of conventional materials), and to some extent, shape, as well as velocity, though to a lesser extent. The basic rule is that you should use a pitch rate which will stabilize the longest (and usually, heaviest) bullet you intend to use in a given caliber, since understabilized bullets (spun at too low RPM) will not maintain the proper point-first attitude and are wildly inaccurate, while overstabilized bullets (spun faster than absolutely necessary to stabilize them) do not suffer from inaccuracy to any real extent. Usually a pitch rate is chosen to give a stability factor of 1.2 or greater (that is, 1.2 times the theoretical RPM necessary for bullet stabilization) - this helps compensate for bullets which are not 'perfect' in any way (usually having the center of mass off the center of rotation due to imperfect shape or a jacket and core not perfectly concentric with each other).
There are several formulae used to calculate the theoretical pitch needed for a given bullet - the Greenhill is a good one for most common sporting uses.

--------------------
Sancho! My armor!

Edited by mhb (17/12/05 10:27 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Twist? An easy question. [Re: mhb]
      #44224 - 17/12/05 11:19 AM

bulldog

I think mhb has summed it up very well and better than I can
so I'll leave it as is.

Also, do a search and find a reference to early Barnes bullets in
458 cal not stabilising at short range due to being very long for the calibre.
PH's found they entered on an angle at close range when DG hunting
and correspondingly had problems.

500 Nitro

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Twist? An easy question. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #44228 - 17/12/05 11:34 AM

Click here for a TWIST RATE CALCULATOR

Hatcher's Notebook is a good place to look for a discussion on theoretical twist rate.

Bulldog: Longer bullets need to be spun faster to stabilize. Longer bullets are generally heavier, but it aint necessarily so! Military Mk7 .303 bullets were made with an aluminium nose-cone to increase BC, as were the Holland Magnum Paradox projectiles. Hollow-points are another case in point (!), and the 12-bore WR Explora projectile had a fully-enclosed hollow copper nose.

Also, remember that a bullet might be quite stable from the muzzle to say 100 yds, but as its velocity falls away its rpm will be reduced and it could become unstable and begin to tip or tumble before reaching say 150 yds.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

mhb
.275 member

Re: Twist? An easy question. [Re: Marrakai]
      #44289 - 18/12/05 03:41 AM

FWIW, firing tests have determined that rotational velocity (RPM) is maintained much better than translational velocity (forward motion) - so that, in most cases, a bullet which is sufficiently stabilized at the muzzle will remain stable throughout its flight to extreme range.

--------------------
Sancho! My armor!

Marrakai
.416 member

#44323 - 18/12/05 10:58 AM

mhb:
In reply to:

a bullet which is sufficiently stabilized at the muzzle will remain stable throughout its flight

I wish you would tell that to my experimental SMLE sporter chambered for an approximation of the .375 JDJ cartridge. It shoots 270-grainers fine at about 2150, but the 285-gr Grand Slams I picked up at a close-out sale, at 2100fps, shoot 1-inch 3-shot groups at 50m (ghost-ring peep) but are sideways with 2-foot groups at 100m.

BTW the rifle is a marvellous scrub-gun, 7 lb, blonde epoxy stock-finish, brass buttplate, Yuck!! ...but a perfect knock-about or loaner. It has taken 3 buffalo and numerous big Territory boars with the 270-grain Hornady spire-point. Total cost AU$250! ...but that's another story!

--------------------
Marrakai

mhb
.275 member

#44360 - 19/12/05 04:04 AM

Marrakai:
Remember that I said 'sufficiently stabilized at the muzzle'. I think your experience with this rifle and the bullets you have tried are a good illustration of marginal stabilization - such that bullets of fairly similar weight perform quite differently. As a matter of curiosity, what is the rifling pitch of your barrel? And, remembering that bullet stabilization depends on bullet length also, how do the lengths of the two bullet types you mentioned differ?
mhb - Mike

--------------------
Sancho! My armor!

Marrakai
.416 member

#44380 - 19/12/05 10:20 AM

mhb:
The 285-grainer was sufficiently stable at the muzzle, in fact sufficiently stable out to beyond 50 metres. Your inference was that if a bullet starts out stable, it would stay that way. Not necessarily so.

That particular rifle was experimental, in that I got the barrel basically for the cost of the gunsmithing, knowing that the twist-rate was optimum for .375 H&H velocities, but willing to 'have a go' to get the most grunt possible out of a 'Smelly'!

Even if I had to step back to the 250gr Sierra boat-tail (lovely bullet, but soft) it would still be a great scrub-gun for hogs.

Can't remember the twist-rate offhand, so will have to re-measure. Bog-standard for the H&H cartridge though.

--------------------
Marrakai

mhb
.275 member

#44383 - 19/12/05 11:42 AM

No. I didn't infer or imply anything. I stated originally that it was customary to use a pitch which would give a stability factor of at least 1.2 with the longest bullet to be used at the desired velocity.
The usual rifling pitch in .375 caliber for the H&H is 12". The old .400/.375 H&H operated in the velocity range you are working with, and I'd be surprised if it had a much slower rifling pitch, or much faster. The closest ballistic counterpart cartridge to yours that I have a good rifling pitch reference for is the 9.3x62, for which the C.I.P. standard pitch is 14.17", and which handles a 286 grain, .366" diameter bullet at around 2360fps. Other cartridges which use similar bullets at even lower velocities may also have SLOWER rifling pitches - the customary pitch for .38-55 rifles is 16", and some of them will stabilize up to 300 grain (cast) bullets to fairly long ranges (at least 500 meters), but others will not. There are too many variables to make blanket statements about what will or will not work (and I didn't), but the evidence you reported indicates that the heavier bullet is not sufficiently stable from your rifle. I will state that a .375" barrel with 12" pitch OUGHT to stabilize any .375" bullet up to 300 grains at the velocity levels you report, and, if it doesn't, there is something else going on.
I've made benchrest and match barrels in various calibers - BR shooters are interested in the very best possible grouping at a given maximum range, and don't care at all what happens just the other side of the paper. They get away with near-minimum pitches because they use the very best, near-perfect bullets they can buy or make.
For .22RF match shooters, I've made barrels with bore and groove dimensions all over the map, from super-tight to fairly loose, as compared to industry standards, and with rifling pitches running from 1-12" to 1-20", according to the desires of the shooter. These folks are absolutely dependent on the quality of the ammunition they can buy, not make, and some have discovered that various ammunitions perform better with non-standard barrel specifications - for them, and under the conditions of their discipline.
I don't like to guess about technical matters which I should be knowledgeable about, and, so far, I haven't - every statement I've made here has been clearly delimited and/or caveated.
Since I didn't make or even examine your rifle or ammunition, I can't know more about it than you do, but I do know about rifles and rifle barrels, and I can confidently say that if I had made your rifle, with a proper barrel, it wouldn't pitch bullets sideways.
'Further deponent sayeth not.'
mhb - Mike

--------------------
Sancho! My armor!

Marrakai
.416 member

#44392 - 19/12/05 04:26 PM

Yes, "in most cases" is a more accurate statement.

...and it wouldn't matter how good a rifle maker you reckon you are, you can't change the laws of physics. If a given bullet won't stabilize at a given velocity from a particular barrel, there's nothing even you could do about it. If you're suggesting that I should spend money to replace the barrel, you're missing the point of the whole exercise and should re-read my earlier post.

Lighten up a bit, friend, it really doesn't matter! I had fun building the rifle, and its still a very capable shooter and a firm favourite of my daughter for knock-about Territory-style hunting, warts'n'all!

..and none of this is really helping bulldog with his original enquiry!

--------------------
Marrakai

mhb
.275 member

#44404 - 20/12/05 01:52 AM

Marrakai:
Thanks for the reminder about the laws of physics. You addressed me and asked for information about a specific case. I responded as directly, factually and to the point (with due regard to the laws of physics) as I am able, and did not say anything about 'most cases', but only the facts I am aware of which seemed pertinent to your query.
In the specific case of your rifle, as described, the bullet which is giving unsatisfactory accuracy at ranges beyond 50 yards/meters is NOT sufficiently stabilized at the muzzle, Q.E.D. The actual cause of the observed performance should certainly be in the factors discussed thusfar (though it is possible that there is some defect in the barrel or its chambering and fitting which is contributing to the problem), and will therefore have to be sought by detailed examination of your rifle and the ammunition components and performance associated with its use. The two specific pieces of the puzzle which you could provide, and which I asked you for, (actual pitch in your barrel and bullet length/s) - a matter of a few minutes direct measurement - you have not given. So, on balance, and from my perspective, it seems that, on your end, the bull is still on its feet.
As for Bulldog's original question: that was answered, too, evidently to his satisfaction.
mhb - Mike

--------------------
Sancho! My armor!

Edited by mhb (20/12/05 03:19 AM)

Marrakai
.416 member

#44442 - 20/12/05 02:01 PM

Since bulldog's original query has been answered, evidently "to his satisfaction", it would be best to let this thread go, however mhb is apparently in need of further discourse:
In reply to:

two specific pieces of the puzzle which you could provide, and which I asked you for

Can anyone help him out with the length measurement for the 285gr Grand Slam bullet? I've shot my 50 away of course, ages ago, and won't be buying any more for the obvious reasons given.

Although most of us lead full and busy lives, we are usually more than willing to race off and source information or measure something if it will genuinely help a fellow poster, but the enthusiasm wanes when it is likely to simply prolong an argument.

As I said, mhb, I will have to re-measure the twist-rate on my .444/.375, but in my own time please!

...and BTW, there is no "puzzle" here. The heavier slower GS bullet wouldn't remain stable at longer ranges, however the lighter faster bullet does. No mystery there.

--------------------
Marrakai

CorditeBlues
.224 member

Reged: 15/12/05
Loc: Rochester, MI USA
      #44464 - 21/12/05 01:15 AM

At the risk of stepping between you two I measured 10 Speer 285gr Grand Slam bullets (early 90s vintage). They run between .245 and .250, so let's say .247 (more were leaning toward the short end). Hope this helps. Interesting discussion.

Doug.

--------------------
"In a question of right and wrong, never be neutral."
Theodore Roosevelt

CorditeBlues
.224 member

Reged: 15/12/05
Loc: Rochester, MI USA
Re: Twist? An easy question -- Maybe [Re: CorditeBlues]
      #44465 - 21/12/05 01:21 AM

Sorry Gents;
The length of the Grand Slam .375 bullet is *1.247* -- not the .247 as previously posted . That's what happens when you give a cop a caliper. I'm a very safe shooter, tho, I assure you. Sorry for the confusion....

Doug.

--------------------
"In a question of right and wrong, never be neutral."
Theodore Roosevelt

mhb
.275 member

#44467 - 21/12/05 02:18 AM

Marrakai:
Ah. I think I see the problem (the real problem) here: you thought we were conducting an argument, and I thought you really wanted answers to a problem in rifle shooting. My mistake.
Henceforth, I'll take it for granted that any technical question you address to me is merely rhetorical, and stop wasting any of your valuable time. It'll be difficult, though, as I have so little else to occupy the long hours.
mhb - Mike

--------------------
Sancho! My armor!

mhb
.275 member

Re: Twist? An easy question -- Maybe [Re: CorditeBlues]
      #44470 - 21/12/05 02:25 AM

C.B.:
Thanks for the information. If he cares to, Marrakai can now use the twist calculator he provided a link to and determine the theoretical pitch necessary to stabilize the bullet. Beyond that, I don't think he wants any further advice.
mhb - Mike

--------------------
Sancho! My armor!

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Twist? An easy question -- Maybe [Re: mhb]
      #44518 - 21/12/05 01:39 PM

Well, the tone of this thread has deteriorated somewhat... Apologies all.

In reply to:

I don't think he wants any further advice

Didn't ask for any in the first place!
...but thanks for offering mhb.

Perhaps I should clarify once again that there were NO puzzles here, nor problems to solve, simply an experience documented for the interest of others. The rifle in question is a marvellous scrub-gun, it WORKS, and doesn't need any improving. It was built with a 'free' barrel with the knowledge that it probably wouldn't stabilize 300-grainers, but that 270, 250, and even 235-grainers were available in that calibre, at increasing MVs, and a good working-load would be developed accordingly. The fact that the 285-grainer won't remain stable at longer ranges is entirely incidental and was offered simply to add to the corporate knowledge.

Thanks for the measurements on the Grand-Slam bullet CB, appreciated. Interestingly, the theoretical twist rate for that bullet, according to the Calculator I posted, is 16.9 inches. My barrel is unlikely to be slower than that! I'll measure it tonight.

This mole-hill mountaineering looks destined to continue....

--------------------
Marrakai

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Twist? An easy question -- Maybe [Re: Marrakai]
      #44581 - 22/12/05 05:09 AM

I don't want to get into your little "DISCUSSION" but I don't think I've ever seen a 375 bore rifle with anything but a 1-12" twist. That, however, doesn't mean they don't exist. My 375JDJ VALMET 412 was re-chambered from a 375Win Mag, to 375JDJ, and the barrels were 1-12", and all three of my Mauser rifles are 1-12" twist. They all shoot very well,but I only use 300 gr bullets in 375s.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

homemadeDR
.224 member

Reged: 02/12/05
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Twist? An easy question -- Maybe [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #44598 - 22/12/05 06:21 AM

Excuse me if I am interupting but I have a follow-on question to BullDogs original note. If the intent is to achieve a SF of greater than 1.5 then why not simply obtain the smallest twist rate available? Specifically, on a 470 I can get a barrel with 10", 16, 18 or 20 (and more) from several barrel manufactures. Why not simply choose the 10" with a SF of approx. 30? What is the downside that I am missing?

mhb
.275 member

Re: Twist? An easy question -- Maybe [Re: Marrakai]
      #44639 - 22/12/05 02:50 PM

Marrakai:

In reply to:

Didn't ask for any in the first place.

Indeed?

I wish you would tell that to my experimental SMLE sporter... It shoots 270-grainers fine at about 2150, but the 285-gr Grand Slams.... are sideways with 2-foot groups at 100M.

As I did not want to believe you were inviting me to address an inanimate object, I chose to respond as though you were speaking humorously, but did want the information. In addition, you had quoted a statement of mine as though you found it incredible, inaccurate, or inapplicable to the case you described. As I take some trouble to speak only from within the bounds of what I know, and never to tell anyone more than that, I endeavoured to explain the facts to you, with as complete supporting information as I thought necessary or useful. It is clear that you were not convinced that I spoke the truth. Very well. I am satisfied that the Unbiased Reader of this exchange can decide for himself whether the information I provided is pertinent, accurate, and useful in explaining the problems you reported.
As for deterioration of tone of the thread, I strongly deny having exceeded the usages of gentlemanly discourse, though recognizing (as coming from old, genteel Southern stock) that lack of sufficient care in one's utterances can also result in the issuance of a demand for satisfaction - either in the form of acceptable explanation and/or apology, or of the kind that calls for reference to the Clonmel Code, the services of seconds, and an early-morning appointment upon mutually-agreed grounds.
I have done you the courtesy (in gentlemanly fashion) of overlooking (up to this point) your cavalier dismissal of my statements and implied aspersions cast on my expertise - no more!
My parliamentaire(s) will call upon you or the representative(s) you shall name with my formal demand for immediate satisfaction, and a listing of the particulars in which I deem you have offended. As we have never met, such persons as I dispatch will, of course, be in possession of that documentation which will establish my Station (my Commission, Letters of Introduction, &c.) as a Gentleman: they will, of course, require no less from you.
If, as a Gentleman, you refuse satisfaction, (and cannot furnish satisfactory proofs of infirmity, prior undertaking under oath of honor to abstain from violence, or membership in some well-established pacifist sect, such as the Quakers), I will be obliged to immediately have you Posted in all the Leading Coffee-Houses and Gentlemen's Clubs - you would, of course, be Utterly Ruined and Barred from Polite Society Immediately and Forever.
If, on the other hand (and I do not wish to give offense, but, as I said, we have never met) you prove to be other than a gentleman, I shall be forced to the distasteful but necessary step of hiring Common Ruffians to Punish you in the Public Precincts, so that you and other Impertinent Fellows may, in future, be mindful of your Proper Place.
mhb - Mike; KP, CQ, PLO, SOP, PDQ, SOL, &c., &c.

--------------------
Sancho! My armor!

Edited by mhb (22/12/05 03:00 PM)

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #44655 - 22/12/05 05:13 PM

bulldog

The A-Square reloading manual explains why faster twist = deeper penetration on game.

Marrakai
.416 member

#44662 - 22/12/05 11:41 PM

In reply to mhb's unbelievable literary effort:

The twist-rate of my .375 barrel is in fact 12 inches, no surprise there.

The modified Greenhill Formula does however predict that the 285-grainer should be stable at that twist rate, so it would appear that mhb gets his mystery after all! I, on the other hand, will continue to load and shoot the marvellous Hornady 270gr spire-point bullet which has always delivered the utmost satisfaction in the hunting field.

--------------------
Marrakai

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7552

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com