Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Great Duck Hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunt Reports

Pages: 1
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Great Duck Hunt
      #19874 - 20/10/04 01:52 PM

Just returned from a great duck hunt in upstate New York with outfitter/guide Bill Saiff. Four of us shot our limits both days of the hunt. The bag included Mallards, Black Ducks, Wood Ducks, and Green Wing Teal. I shot a beautiful drake woodie that I'm getting mounted. www.billsaiffoutdoors.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Great Duck Hunt [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #19956 - 23/10/04 02:11 PM

Good to hear Mike.

I am looking forward to next years opening day as I plan to try a new location. Not exclusive but promises to be great fun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Great Duck Hunt [Re: NitroX]
      #19959 - 23/10/04 03:19 PM

We had a real good time. I was shooting a new Remington 11-87 12 gauge and #6 Hevi-shot loads. That Hevi-shot really pounded 'em hard.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #38465 - 30/09/05 06:52 AM

Perhaps bad news?

Sunday I was invited to shoot duck on the Rhine (the river between France and Germany)and its tributaries. My host were adamant. . I couldn't.

In fact he fears AVIAN INFLUENZA will strike Europe any time. Then most of the birds will die and we would have to wait a long time before the stocks replenishes.

The virus stroke China, then Kirghizstan and westward in the direction of Europe.
He hope he is wrong.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #43976 - 14/12/05 03:10 PM

Congradulations Mike!

That Hevi-shot sure does work well. I'm headed back out to the Eastern shore on Saturday to see if I can jump shoot a few Canadian geese with my Bismuth

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Edited by Chasseur (16/12/05 09:27 AM)

8x56mn
.300 member

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Wine Country, Finger Lakes Wa...
      #44017 - 15/12/05 06:59 AM

Ya I know the outfitter very well, he hunts the same swamp, Perch River, near the Black River, Watertown, NY.
The guy is a very big bullshiter and is not well liked there by the natives. High prices and hogs all the best spots by the wire. Usually takes in 8-10 hunters and shoots right up to the noon shut down time because he has so many limits to fill. This keeps the birds from coming back from the refuge to feed until after legal shooting time.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Great Duck Hunt [Re: Chasseur]
      #44038 - 15/12/05 12:01 PM

Patrick, you're right about that Hevi-shot. It just smack dab folds them up. For the ducks over decoys, if it's not too windy, I'm using #6 shot, but if the wind is nasty, I switch to #4s. How do you like the Bismuth? I haven't tried it, but I've heard good things about it.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Great Duck Hunt [Re: 8x56mn]
      #44079 - 16/12/05 06:02 AM

8X56mn- you may know the outfitters name well, but by your post, IMHO, you don't know the outfitter well.

First of all, I must say that I've been hunting and fishing with the Saiffs for at least 15 years, and have been hunting and fishing in that area for over 20 years. Never have I heard a "local" speak of them in a disparaging tone.

You said he hunts the same swamp as you, Perch River. Yes he hunts it. So what? It's public land. You forgot to mention that he also hunts several hundred square miles of land throughout upstate New York. You said his prices are high, and he "hogs" all the best spots by the wire in the Perch River. How many weeks long was the waterfowl season this year? For your information, he was only in the Perch River swamp 3 times this season. Wow, that's really hogging a spot. But isn't access to the Perch River on a first come, first serve basis,each day? I thought so. So if you are ambitious enough to get your butt out of bed, and drive to the Perch River checkin station, and you're there early enough, you get out before everyone else. I'm sorry that you seem to feel that it's somehow unethical for a guide to take his clients to the best spot. Shame on him! You also said that he usually takes in 8 to 10 hunters. That's pure B.S. It sounds like you're listening to rumor, pure and simple. All the years I've hunted with Bill and his other guides, there have never been more than 3 of us, plus the guide, hunting together. And, each hunter shoots his or her own limit. He hunts until shut down time. What a cad! How dare he adhere to the law.But, just for your own information, I've never been in the Perch River past 9:30, and the birds were still coming in.

Unless you've personally hunted with the Saiffs, I really don't feel you're qualified to pass the type of judgement you have done. If he was such a big bullshiter, and not well liked, why is he invited to speak at so many waterfowl hunting seminars in the U.S., and Canada, which by the way are always filled to capacity?

You also mentioned that his prices are high. I don't feel that $225.00 a day is too high for breakfast, guide services, use of trained retreevers, use of his boats,decoys, having access to areas that aren't over gunned, hunting with the state champion duck caller, and having your birds cleaned. I might add, that in all these years, only 4 times have we hunted private property. All the rest of the hunts have been on public land, or out on public waters.

I find it amazing that the more successful a hunter or fisherman is, the more detractors pop out of the woodwork to try and drag them down. Jelousy is such an ugly thing.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #44080 - 16/12/05 06:17 AM

In reply to:

I find it amazing that the more successful a hunter or fisherman is, the more detractors pop out of the woodwork to try and drag them down. Jelousy is such an ugly thing.

This is sadly often the case.

8x56mn
.300 member

Re: Great Duck Hunt [Re: EricD]
      #44083 - 16/12/05 06:34 AM

Well sport, yes I know him, him and his crooked old man, all my life, their both blow hards and have ruined the hunting for the us locals for years at Perch River and ran all the other guides off with his unfair methodss. Ever see him take off in a lone canoe at starting time knock everyone out of his way and then drop decoys off as he goes to claim spots for his clients and guide to set up while others can't because there are decoys already there. Oh sure he talkes a great game, the price it's high dude, cetainly for a place that is free. In my opinion and most others professional guides should not be working public land like Perch river.
If like the guy then good for you those of us who have seen his bullshit at work hate him period
I'm afraid your seeing things through rose colored glasses.
Oh by the way I have been hunting and living there for all my life and I'm 58 yers old OK.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #44096 - 16/12/05 09:31 AM

I am not a dedicated waterfowl guy so my experience is rather limited. But when I drag out my old vintage French guild gun for waterfowl I use Bismuth. I tried the Kent shells but they recoiled too much out of my little game gun. Last year when in Alaska I fold a nice Canadian goose with a 2-3/4 BB Bismuth load out of my SxS while pass/jump shooting. I've used #4 on ducks too with good results.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#44097 - 16/12/05 09:35 AM

Gary, it's obvious that you and I both have strong feeling toward the outfitter. Yours are negative, and mine, positive. Neither of us will convince the other that they're wrong, so let's just agree to disagree, and let it go at that.

Edited by mikeh416Rigby (16/12/05 01:33 PM)

8x56mn
.300 member

#44162 - 17/12/05 03:06 AM

Mike, your right, forgive my frankness the guy makes me see read, especially knowing how it used to be at Perch, Merry Christmas to you all from an old salty.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#44187 - 17/12/05 05:56 AM

Merry Christmas to you too. By the way how can you be an old salty at 58? I'm 58 too, but young.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  HuntReports, NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4839

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com