Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pitfalls? - opening a FN Mauser for 375 H&H

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Pitfalls? - opening a FN Mauser for 375 H&H
      #43656 - 10/12/05 07:48 PM

Hoping our esteemed members can provide some input.

So far, I haven't found a newly made 375 that I like. I've tried the Win M70, Ruger M77 RSM, and CZ 550. I'm looking for a CRF action, but the ones listed in the previous sentence are unwieldy and seem to be much heavier and bulky than needed.

I prefer a more streamlined and lighter action, I do like the pre-64 M70's that were opened up standard length actions, but prices are commanding a premium right now. Over the past few years, I've been looking for one of the Browning FN Safari's, but haven't found one.

Thinking of acquiring a FN chambered for 300 or 338 Win Mag and having the action opened to accomodate the H&H. I've seen posts in other forums that this procedure is not the most desireable thing to do because the front ring has to be opened a slight amount (the bulk of the butchering on back). I figure a new mag box and new bottom metal would be required, probably a new stock as well. Of course a rebarrel is more than likely, unless the barrel is about a 4 contour to begin with.

I just think a 375 should be a little more sveldt than the mack truck sized rifles we are seeing. I'd prefer the rifle to be 8-9 lbs. Ruger says their RSM is 9, but not the ones I've handled, they'll go 10-10.5, about the same as my 500 Jeffery. Am I just asking for trouble, or is this an idea with merit?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mlg
.275 member

Reged: 19/03/05
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Pitfalls? - opening a FN Mauser for 375 H&H [Re: DPhillips]
      #43665 - 11/12/05 12:16 AM

I would not, simply because the action has been weakened. What about a model 70 action with a slimmer profile barrel?

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Pitfalls? - opening a FN Mauser for 375 H&H [Re: mlg]
      #43679 - 11/12/05 05:15 AM

How about a slicked up Whitworth Express in 375? They are a bit lighter and handle nicely...feel good in the hand.

My pre 64 Mdl 70 that Dennis Olson worked over from the original 30-06 is a great rifle now in 375. That may be an option, but the Mdl 70 was never known as a light rifle by any stretch of the imagination.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Pitfalls? - opening a FN Mauser for 375 H&H [Re: luv2safari]
      #43682 - 11/12/05 05:52 AM

Buy an English made 375 (Holland etc) or have a look at them
as they tend to be made lighter and svelt.

See a Holland at
http://www.westleyrichards.com/gun/used_guns_2_product.php?id=25453

I have had a couple and they are easy to carry.

You could then get a gun, have it rebarreled and the
stock reshaped to lighten them up.

500 Nitro

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Pitfalls? - opening a FN Mauser for 375 H&H [Re: 500Nitro]
      #43692 - 11/12/05 07:19 AM

In reply to:

My pre 64 Mdl 70 that Dennis Olson worked over from the original 30-06 is a great rifle now in 375. That may be an option, but the Mdl 70 was never known as a light rifle by any stretch of the imagination.

My 300 H&H is a 1952 original with the stock replaced. With the new stock, the rifle comes in at just a touch under 7.5 lbs. I understand the 375 barrel is going to bring the weight up a bit, but should come in around 8.5-9 lbs with the different barrel (based on the weight of the 300 H&H), shouldn't it? This is one reason that has led me away from the heavier rifles being made today.

In reply to:

Buy an English made 375 (Holland etc) or have a look at them as they tend to be made lighter and svelt.

I handled a WR 375 a while back (owner would not sell, even so I probably couldn't afford it) and that rifle is the one I'd like to emulate. Handling was really nice, light and well balanced, even with the 26" barrel. Seems to me, though, this rifle could be built for a lot less. I don't mind paying for quality, but think these rifles come with a price tag that reflects the name on the rifle (which is understandable), and could be built for less for like quality and materials.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #43701 - 11/12/05 08:00 AM

DPhillips

I understand the 375 barrel is going to bring the weight up a bit, but should come in around
8.5-9 lbs with the different barrel (based on the weight of the 300 H&H), shouldn't it?

YES, I agree with you.

I don't mind paying for quality, but think these rifles come with a price tag that reflects
the name on the rifle (which is understandable), and could be built for less for like quality and materials.

I also agree but the WR, H&H etc will keep going up in price.
After all, a WR, H&H, Rigby is only a well finished Standard Mauser 98.

500 Nitro

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Pitfalls? - opening a FN Mauser for 375 H&H [Re: 500Nitro]
      #43713 - 11/12/05 12:42 PM

In reply to:

I also agree but the WR, H&H etc will keep going up in price.

You have a point there!

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #43765 - 12/12/05 07:55 AM

FN/Browning did offer their BMS rifles in 375 though I have no idea what action they used. Browning still list the BMS on their international website though these days they use Dumoulin actions.

Best wishes with whatever choice you make!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

vladimir
.224 member

Reged: 13/12/04
Loc: Louisville, Ky USA
      #43794 - 12/12/05 02:42 PM

Keep looking for a FN/Browning Safari in 375 H&H. You'll find one, I just bought one 2 or 3 months ago on GunBroker. Figure on $1,200 to $1,500 for an early 60's pre salt rifle. If your a classic Browning fan like me - nothing else will do. Those Safari, Medallion and Olympian rifle just sing.....

-Vlad

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Pitfalls? - opening a FN Mauser for 375 H&H [Re: vladimir]
      #43807 - 12/12/05 04:03 PM

I will keep looking, but am getting a bit impatient, I guess.

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
      #43847 - 13/12/05 07:46 AM

DPhillips,

Why not use a 1917 Enfield action.......hell for stout......certainly big enough......build the rifle you want around it.

It takes a few more $$ to do the Enfield but the end result is awfully nice.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #43849 - 13/12/05 07:48 AM

Personally, I would have no quams of shooting a 98 that had been opened up to shoot the .375 H&H with factory or factory equivalent loads.
: My only 'problem' with this practise, is that with metal removed from behind the lower locking lug, there is a margin of strength reduced.
: With today's 'penchant' for loading to the limits, there is a real possibility of overstepping the strength boudaries of the action, in the form of stretching behind the lower lug.
: Kept to factory-equivalent loads, which provide and have provided more than enough power over the years, an opened action, if done by a qualified gun-smith will provide all the strength necessary. Afterall, look at the many rifles Rigby and other makers who've done just that with Mark X Mauser and 98 Mauser-type actions over the years. they worked well years ago, and still do today.
: Just such a rifle will provide .375 power, in a shorter action and lighter rifle of 8 to 9 1/2lbs.- whatever is desired. Personally, I prefer 9 1/2lbs. with scope, and 8 1/2lbs without.
: If you are already a wildcatter, there is an alternative in the 9.5X68 which uses the 8X68S case and requires no acton alteration other than the bolt opened for magnum rims. The one I made up back in the 80's was on a CZ24 military action with magnum bolt face. Huntingtons now makes the dies for this round. We had Huntington's make up dies. This 2.620" long case duplicates the .375's capacity and actually will give slightly higher velcocities than the factory printed loads suggest. RWS brass is stronger than American brass by a considerable margin.
: Brass can also be made from .300 Win. Mag. and .375H&H brass by turning the belt to .522", trim to length if necessary after opening up the neck or pushing back the shoulder, whichever is needed for the brass used. The shoulder is properly located for headspacing during the forming operation as it is a rimless case and needs a shoulder for proper headspacing. The brass easily expands to proper size ahead of the belt and will take any loads equivalent to the H&H just fine, without any safety problems. Once FireFormed, the capacity is the same as WW .375H&H brass.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

1980E26
.300 member

Reged: 03/05/05
Loc: USA
      #43865 - 13/12/05 12:00 PM

DPhillips,

If you did not want to do any surgery on the 98 mauser action how about making it a 10.75x68. No bolt face work necessary and not work required to the back of the feed ramp.

Corbin Shell

DPhillips
.375 member

Re: Pitfalls? - opening a FN Mauser for 375 H&H [Re: 1980E26]
      #43867 - 13/12/05 12:12 PM

The biggest reason with going to the 375 H&H over anything else (already have a nice 500 Jeff) for this rifle is ammunition is easily found anywhere in the world. On my trip to Zim, my luggage was delayed and had to borrow a rifle and ammo for a few days. The rifle wasn't a problem, I could have a choice of several, but the ammo was the problem. Only ammunition available in Zim at the time was 458 Win, 375 H&H and 308 Win. I didn't have the option of borrowing a 375 or 458 rifle, but did borrow a 308.

Upon encountering the buff and elephants at close range, both my 300 and 338 felt awfully small in my hands (I was warned about that right here on this forum!!!). Resolved to carry a rifle for dangerous game with easily found ammunition when hunting in dangerous country at that time. The 375 H&H fits that purpose, especially when hunting plainsgame, to a "T". Thus my search for a nice 375 has escalated since returning. I've been looking for one in the past few years, but now it is top priority for gun buying.

As mentioned earlier the pre-64 M70's and WR opened up Mauser seem to fit me the best, at a weight I don't mind. The new rifles just seem to handle like a 2x4 with a lead pipe attached.

My loads won't exceed factory pressure levels, I just don't see any reason for it. The more I read, the more concerned I become seeing an action opened up in the front, thus the reason for this thread.

Joe,
Never thought about the Enfield, had thought it would be a heavier and bulkier rifle than the pre-64 or Mauser. Guess I'll have to begin looking for something like that. Of course, if you wanted to loan me that 350 Rigby of yours, say for the next 20-30 years, I'd gladly suffer the hard to find ammo part of it. What a gorgeous rifle that is!

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
      #44053 - 15/12/05 04:20 PM

Or you could use the P14 action. Same as the P17 except that it was chambered in 303 Br!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

WVFRED
.300 member

Reged: 17/01/05
Loc: Charleston WV
Re: Pitfalls? - opening a FN Mauser for 375 H&H [Re: Gibbs505]
      #44950 - 27/12/05 07:21 AM

My Mahillon weighs just 7 1/4 lb and uses an FN action.It shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.
Thanks, Fred

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #45001 - 28/12/05 01:38 AM

I have a 375 on a Westley Richards single square bridge Mauser action that was originally a 318 Accelerated Express
that was opened up by WR for 375 at front. The 26" barrel was done by Dave Miller and has an integral quarter rib. Has a NECG front banded ramp and a barrel band front swivel (Gentry I believe). The quarter rib has been cut for Ruger bases so I could use a scout scope if I desired. This allowed me to keep the nice straight WR bolt handle that is engraved with a nice pattern. Timney trigger and the bottom metal is original Mauser 10.75 with hinged floorplate that has lever on floorplate. Makes for a SLIM stock and feeds perfectly. The wide box gives me 3 down for total of 4 which is enough. Curt Crum turned me a very nice piece of wood in his pattern. Original mauser safety. Has a brown Decellerator pad and weighs precisely 7 lbs empty. Not the most pleasant 375 to shoot but very quick and as accurate as I can shoot with Irons (one standing leaf rear with shallow V and 1/16" gold inlay,sighted in for 300gr Woodleigh's). Barrel has had extra lug installed and stock is fully glassed. Two crossbolts with ebony plugs and dowel thru pistol grip from bottom. Ebony forearm tip and grip cap. All in all it turned out pretty good.

Edited by zimhunter (28/12/05 01:49 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #45024 - 28/12/05 06:41 AM

Unfortunately, P-14 and P-17 actions make for heavy rifles, normally. with modifications they can be slimmed down, but are very deep, as-is.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5299

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com