Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Why Archery Hunt?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Why Archery Hunt?
      #4350 - 08/10/03 11:06 AM

I started to think about what got me into archery hunting the other day. This is what I came up with. I am sure each person has his or her own reasons that I would love to here, and here is mine. I have been archery hunting since I was 16 years old (22 years ago) and got an old Bear Recurve for my birthday. Initially I got into it because I was not allowed to own a rifle, but a bow was permissible. I did not grow up in a hunting family but instead got into the sport out of my love for the outdoors. I had always enjoyed backpacking and rock climbing. Hunting seemed to be a way for me to be a participant in nature instead of being a spectator. I had a great time with that old bow but never lucked into anything with it before I stopped hunting for a few years while going away to college. After college I had several friends get me back into the sport by taking me along to deer camp in the mountains of North Central Pennsylvania. This was a rifle hunt where I was able to take a beautiful 8 point with a borrowed 7mm mag. The flame was lit again! I bought a new rifle and bow that year and started on my current journey. I am sure this will be a lifelong pursuit for me that will not end until they plant me in the ground!

While I archery hunted in high school , it was not until the early 90s that I really got into archery. Up until then I would just walk into the woods, find a deer trail, sit down and get comfortable LOL. How I ever managed to get anything hunting this way is still a marvel to me. The light came on for me after reading a book written by Greg Miller called “Aggressive Whitetail Hunting”. This book explained how to “read” the woods, what to look for in order to set up for bucks. It explained that bucks and does often use different trails and that most heavily traveled trails are used mostly by does and young bucks. It talked about the importance to remain scent free and to stay down wind. In short, it was the first time in my life that I realized successful hunting could be more skill than luck. At this point hunting became a chess match for me. I started to have as much fun planning and executing the hunt as I did being in the woods. Here in Pennsylvania we have over 1 million hunters in the woods for the opening day of rifle season. With this many hunters in the woods, the natural travel patterns for deer are out the window. Deer are moving because of the hunter invasion. But archery season is much different. There are nowhere near as many people in the woods and the deer move naturally. It enables me to chase them on their own terms. This is the game that I have grown to love. I have learned more about deer, elk and bears by archery hunting than I could have in a lifetime of rifle seasons. This is primarily because you are forced to in order to be able to set up or stalk successfully. Along the way I have been able to take some impressive animals. I have taken over 60 whitetails with 50+ being with my bow. Including several P&Y class bucks. I have also traveled out West and found a new love, chasing September bulls through the mountains. Elk hunting is much more proactive than whitetail hunting, being mostly a spot and stalk affair. Currently I am looking at booking an African hunt for plains game in the next year or so. My bow will surely follow me along!

I was wondering what your reasons were for getting into the sport or even thinking about getting into it. Lets here them!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Why Archery Hunt? [Re: IronBuck]
      #4365 - 10/10/03 11:50 AM

Thats a good story IB and i often have wished that i had a bow in my hands when i have been out deer hunting as i have been close up and personal to a few that even a novice could have nailed.It would be a real feather in my cap to have taken a sambar with an arrow but at this stage the old 7mm has precedence over that idea.

Sambar deer are notoriously difficult to harvest with rifle let alone a bow and only a couple have gone down with an arrow in Australia,of course we dont have the bow hunters numbers here either to even things out.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #4369 - 10/10/03 10:58 PM

Iron,

I like it for several reasons. The peace an quiet in the early fall woods, better weather for the most part and MOSTLY for the challenge of being up close and personal.

Oh, no sore shoulder from a rifle or shotgun butt either!

There is much less disturbance in the woods during deer season when an animal is taken. Archery is hunting to me, with 500,000 + people out on Nov 15th, our gun season is plain and simply shooting.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #4370 - 10/10/03 10:59 PM

IronB,

When you are ready to shop for an archery hunt in Africa I hope you'll check out what I have!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1336

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com