Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SxS vs. O/U

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Lovec
.224 member

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Europe
SxS vs. O/U
      #43213 - 06/12/05 11:54 AM

Personaly I prefer SxS doubles, but due to financial reasons my first double rifle is O/U (Sabatti 8x57IRS for $1700 new). I must say I like it so far; about the only reason I plan to get a classic SxS in the future is (besides better looks) the fact that O/U must be opened more deeply in order to expose chambers for loading/unloading. My question to you gentlemen with vast experience is, what are good and bad points of one system compared to the other - SxS against O/U? By the way, I'm interested primarely in small/medium bores for European hunting, not big bore African rifles. Thank you for any input.

--------------------
Kind regards,
Lovec

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
doublegunfan
.275 member

Reged: 26/04/05
Loc: Brazil
Re: SxS vs. O/U [Re: Lovec]
      #43375 - 07/12/05 10:45 PM

Lovec

IMO, both the SxS and O/U make for great double rifles. I think it boils down to personal preference. The SxS carries the traditional lines of a classic English double, which is the reference against all others are compared to. But in Europe you can have excelent O/U doubles, in any calibre you want, and they are, usually, easier to scope and that is a great advantage especially considering that you have a medium bore. BTW, excelent choice of calibre.

But, if you really like the SxS so much, you can save some money, get one in the future, and then you can send your Sabatti to me as a gift!

Regards,

Fred

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #43384 - 08/12/05 01:55 AM

In reply to:

what are good and bad points of one system compared to the other - SxS against O/U? By the way, I'm interested primarely in small/medium bores for European hunting, not big bore African rifles. Thank you for any input.

Welcome to the WACKY world of double rifles!

I think as long as you are mainly interested in small chamberings, then the O/U double rifle is probably a good choice! They are not only much cheaper to buy, but are easier to scope, a difinate plus on an 8mm rifle used for deer!

My personal choice is for a SxS no matter the chambering, or use it will be put to! Haveing said that, let me say this as well. I own, and have owned many more O/U double rifles, and I found them pleasent to use in most cases. I, however have not, and will not use an O/U double rifle for dangerous game! I know there are those who do just that, and more power to them if they get by with it!

In the first place, most O/Us have single, non-selective triggers, even in the big chamberings. This is a feature I will not have on a double used to keep a horn out of by butt. The whole idea of a double rifle is, it's absolute reliability, afforded by the fact that it is actually
"TWO" separate, and indipendant rifles on the same stock! The single trigger takes that advantage away, because if the trigger fails in any way, then you are left with a 10.5 lb club, instead of a double rifle. Addtionally if you get a mis-fire, on a double that is cocked, for the second shot, by the recoil of the first, the trigger will not fire the other barrel, without some, acrobatic like, manipulating to cock the other barrel, or to break the rifle and reload the bottom barrel, as it is the one fired first, on an O/U. It is also the hardest barrel to re-load! All this while a Cape Buffalo is trying to make wet bone meal out of you.

Most of this applies to a S/S as well if equipt with a single trigger. The other thing that is usual on a O/U rifle, is an automatic safety! This is a good feature on a rifle used for deer, because it protects other hunters,as well as yourself, and if you forget it, and miss a shot at a deer nothing of importance is lost. Conversly, in the heat of battle, you fire two shots, and break the rifle for reload, and slam the rifle shut, and forget the AUTO safety, the little time wasted trying to find out why your rifle won't fire again, may be all the time a lion needs to bite your face off!

Even if one has a double O/U rifle, that cocks both barrels, has a manual safety, and double triggers, and is chambered for a DG cartridge, you are still left with the very slow, and cumbersome re-load for the third, and fourth shots. That alone is reason enough to opt for the S/S where dangerous game are to be the target. With dangerous game YOU are the target as well, and it only matters who brings the most power to bear, in the shortest period of time as to who wins!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #43402 - 08/12/05 04:28 AM

In reply to:

.... my first double rifle is O/U (Sabatti 8x57IRS for $1700 new). I must say I like it so far ....

It seems you have found a very well priced medium calibre double to get started on.

Try it and if it works it works.

I think such a rifle if it shoots well, regulates with the ammo you use and if it can also be scoped will make a fine medium calibre hunting rifle.

You have the advantages of any double:

* often shorter in overall length, so handier;
* very fast second shot, good for running game or game in close cover;
* the fun of any double rifle.

I too like the aesthetics of a side by side but that wouldn't stop me from buying an under and over in a medium calibre up to 9.3 mm.

I think the speed of reloading the two barrels is over-emphasised in discussing medium calibres. No doubt about it, the time between the second and third shot will be longer for a double than a good bolt action.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Spring
.300 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Georgia
      #43410 - 08/12/05 05:53 AM

Lovec,
Here's what Hallowell & Co says about the issue:

SxS or Side by Side (barrels) - Side-by-side barrels are better than over & under barrels because they have a broader and more quickly-acquired sighting plane. Although one should always concentrate on the target and not the gun, in field shooting, having subliminal consciousness of the position of the barrels is a real aid to throwing the shot towards a suddenly-appearing moving target. Although not as precise, it is quicker to find the broad crosshairs of a hunting telescopic sight than the fine crosshairs of a target scope. Side-by-side guns are easier to load than over & under guns because the barrels do not need to be opened to as wide an angle (gape) for cartridges to clear the standing breech. Side-by-side guns traditionally have been considered more elegant of line than over & under guns.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #43501 - 09/12/05 07:13 AM

Lovec,

I presently have three O/U double rifles, all with ejectors, and I find that it is much quicker to reload these than it is to reload an extractor sxs. I like them all, however, and think that various strong points or shortcomings cancel out each other. Two of my three have DT, and I very much prefer this to the SST.

Contrary to some opinions, I acquire the sights and targer far better and quicker with the O/U than with a sxs. My buddy does better with a sxs...

Shoot what feels right to you.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #43525 - 09/12/05 12:44 PM

Lovec,

I generally prefer SxS, and have a good many of them. I have one O/U DR - a Merkel 323E in .375 H&H Mag. I really haven't used it much.

I used to have a Valmet 512 in double .30/06. I used the hell out of it. It was accurate and handy. I replaced the single trigger with double triggers. It was a fine DR but just a shooter, not a collector gun.

People always talk about the wider gape of an O/U. I think that's largely a red herring. When I was using the Valmet I really didn't notice that it required slightly more angular motion to open it.

In sum, get what you want and what feels right for you. Your choice is not the last chance to get a DR. Try one of each. Buy and sell them. You will find out for yourself.

Best of luck,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2238

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com