Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Moose and Brown Bear combo hunts

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Moose and Brown Bear combo hunts
      #1780 - 27/02/03 12:03 AM

At an SCI convention here in Australia a couple of years ago I talked to an agent or outfitter who had some good deals where the client got to hunt a grizzly and a moose on the same hunt.

But on the way to the airport later a hunter from Melbourne kept telling me it wasn't a good idea or good value and it is much better to hunt them separately.

I didn't really understand his point as yes if you have unlimited $$$ yes it is better to book separate hunts and maybe get slightly better animals.

Now considering it probably costs more than 70% more to do separate hunts, what do people here think? Do combination hunts work at least in the majority of cases?

If I was to hunt Alaska I think grizzly and moose would be number one targets, though an elk would be fantastic as well (and big horn sheep and mountain goat ..........).

If I hunted the 48 states even a black bear and a whitetail or Mulie would be great.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: Moose and Brown Bear combo hunts [Re: NitroX]
      #1781 - 27/02/03 08:09 AM

John

I don't understand your problem! If you are going to hunt 48 states it looks like you have unlimited with $$$.

Serious again - I also had that recomendation when asking for another North American combo and I think the reason was that it is better to concentrate on one thing. I think (no knowledge) that it is a big difference to hunt Africa were all the animals are in the same areas (more or less).

--------------------

Christer Hansson

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Moose and Brown Bear combo hunts [Re: cchunter]
      #1785 - 27/02/03 05:20 PM

I would put my money into the one hard hunt trip for grizz or brownies (same thing) in Russia,now you are talking hunting a tough one compared to moose hunting,yes i know that can be tough hunting too but compare success rates and it seems most fella`s that hunt moose win out on the other hand old ephraim himself takes a bit more hunting and lets face it one is liable to be a little unnerving for an extra buzz.Serious dollars for grizz though we are talking many thousands.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
      #1786 - 27/02/03 06:39 PM

John, CC, Gryphon,

A combination hunt is very doable but you must allow enough time, have an outfitter with an area conducive to a combination hunt, and be PHYSICALLY PREPARED to take it on.
We had two combination hunt clients(grizzly/sheep)last season and both got a grizzly, one got a nice ram, and the other chose not to take one as he was looking for 42" or better. A bit of luck is also needed if the weather is going to co-operate.
The Registered Guide I work with has a vast area to hunt and only takes a minimal number of animals out of the area(grizzly-4 max.). We have two openings left for the upcoming season and they are for grizzly/sheep combinations, in the area in the pictures posted by John, and it's very reasonable considering the quality of the animals and with a good chance of taking both. This area is very remote and it's a tough hunt, but it will change your life. The Brooks Range is a very special place. If I can get my butt in gear, I'll share a bear story, from last season, with you.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #2246 - 31/03/03 03:19 AM

Moose and Grizzly combination hunts can be done in quite a few area of North America. Those that come to mind are British Columbia, Yukon Territory, and of course, Alaska. B.C.coastal bears will run considerably larger than their cousins from the Yukon due mainly to the availability of the Salmon runs. The same holds true for the Alaska coast. Of course the Alaskan coastal bears are the Brown Bears. One outfit from B.C. that has an excellent reputation, and track record is TAKU SAFARIS. Sorry, I don't have an address, but you might try a web search for them. An outfitter in Alaska that comes to mind for Moose, and Interior Grizzly is Terry Overly who ramrods PIONEER OUTFITTERS.

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #4271 - 27/09/03 03:16 AM

I would like to anwser to this old post too.

Last year I went to Alaska. It was a combo hunt, so I bought a moose, grizzy, dall & Black bear tags. I can't remember exactly, but I think It was about 5000 US$

After 15 days I came back to the lodge with just the moose, a big one, but I only could shoot a moose. I saw some small grizzlys (I refused to shot) and several Black bears who didn't want to be hunted.

Well, I'll be there again for one animal each time. I think is the safe (and cheap) way to do it.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Moose and Brown Bear combo hunts [Re: ovis]
      #4273 - 28/09/03 07:07 AM

OVIS:

Lets hear some of those stories! You will talk me into these hunts yet. All I need is.......Time and Money LOL.

I would LOVE to do the combination Grizzly and Dall hunt some day. The pictures that you had posted a while back of the Brooks range were awe inspiring. I will have to hunt those "hills" while I am physically capable of climbing them. Maybe I can make this doable in 2005. I may just have to put Africa off for a while

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #4298 - 02/10/03 04:39 AM

Brown Bear/Moose hunts are very doable on the Alaskan Peninsula, and have very high success rates. As far as the interior goes, Grizzly/Moose hunts are also highly successful in Alaska, The Yukon, and British Columbia. You should plan a minimum of 12 days, and preferably 14 to tilt the odds in your favor.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1566

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com