Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Camelbacks?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Camelbacks?
      #13383 - 12/04/04 03:50 PM

Camelbacks. anyone here used one? Which brand and did it have an integral backpack or just the water container? Do you like them?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hobie
.224 member

Reged: 15/01/04
Loc: Staunton, VA, USA
Re: Camelbacks? [Re: NitroX]
      #13394 - 12/04/04 11:36 PM

VERY handy for carrying a quantity of water. Very much better than the 1 or 2 quart canteens. The packs make it all the better. There are several brands but I like the original Camelback. I've got a Mule which is about right for a day's fun. Virginia in the summer can require you drink a lot of water.

These things are all the rage in the US military and you'll see at least one in every in-the-field military news shot. We even issue them now and have a regulation covering the acceptable colors/patterns for those purchased by individual soldiers. Camelback even makes military models to conform.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Hobie
"Duty is the rent we pay for life." The Queen Mother
116th Infantry Regiment "The Stonewall Brigade"

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #13409 - 13/04/04 03:04 AM

I use to use it while stalking roe deers (just the container. It's only about one extra kilo). Very usefull in July here in Spain.
I also took it with me to Africa for the long walks behind the elephants

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Camelbacks? [Re: 470Nitro]
      #13436 - 13/04/04 01:26 PM

Thanks Hobie and 470Nitro

I tend to drink a lot of water, even when I used to be very fit so maybe one is a good idea. Then again when hunting in an arid region with no shade in 40 deg C heat one does burn through the water. Many a time ran out of water before getting back to camp.

Does body heat warm the water in them or are they insulated to some extent? What is the capacity of your water containers?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #13443 - 13/04/04 05:52 PM

I fill half bag the night before and put it inside the frezzer. In the morning I put more water in the ice, so I have a very cold water. When I arrive to the hunting area the water is cold until the midday.

This is mine:

You can see more info in: http://www.camelback.com/

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

ARRA
.224 member

Reged: 18/09/03
Loc: Riverina,NSW,AUST
Re: Camelbacks? [Re: 470Nitro]
      #13469 - 14/04/04 09:17 AM

John,
Mine carries 3l and I still ran out of water last friday I think the model is called a mule.Had a smaller one before the mule ,but kept running out of water.I can carry the camera,knife,GPS,snake bandage,snacks,ammo in this one and rarely go outdoors without it.

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: Camelbacks? [Re: ARRA]
      #14151 - 30/04/04 10:44 AM

I use mine all the time but I run power aid through it. Water just doesn't cut it up my way.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Camelbacks? [Re: Bakes]
      #15554 - 05/06/04 10:43 AM

I really like mine. Great for the backcountry. One thing noone mentioned is they don't slosh around like the water bottles do! They are very quiet and you don't have to worry about spooking game.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Camelbacks? [Re: DPhillips]
      #15561 - 05/06/04 02:48 PM

I think I will have to get one for my NT trip.

I drink a lot of water when hunting and am not used to the tropics so a decent sized one sounds a good idea.

I have a camo bum bag / webbing setup and use that for hunting unless I need a lot of gear / camera gear. A camelback without pack may be able to be used in conjunction. Normally I don't like a daypack as I like my back to "breathe". Stay cooler that way.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
      #15612 - 08/06/04 04:14 AM

John,

Here in the States, we have Platypus water bladders that are insanely tough and come in various sizes that would be ideal for you bum pack. Just another option.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #23016 - 31/12/04 11:52 PM

NitroX
I use 2 different types, the self contained one, with a couple of small pouches in the harness system, and one that is just a water carrier that I insert into a backpack or daypack when I need to carry more stuff.
Once you use one you will never be without it....
However when hunting in Wyoming last year the water would freeze in the tube and the mouthpiece, rendering the camelback USELESS. For cold weather hunting the aluminium sigg type bottles are best. We put them in the foot of our sleeping bag at night so they do not freeze. It is a good thing I had both last year.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Camelbacks? [Re: NE450No2]
      #23022 - 01/01/05 12:23 AM

Gentlemen

I actually did buy one when returning from the NT in October. In the past I have carried multiple canteens in the desert and will probably carry extra canteens in addition to it but it is a handy way to carry two litres.

I purchased an separate camelback branded water carrier. The harness is well made and in Auscam (Australian military camoflage pattern) and two litres. I can cope with its feed nozzle, one feature I didn't like on many others. Importantly I damaged it immediately in the shop but insisting on seeing it the water bladder could be remove from the harness. I wanted this so it could either be used as a stand along water pack, or the bladder inserted by itself into one of my existing bum-bags or daypacks. Luckily it was what I wanted so I bought it!

I haven't tried it on with my bum-bag yet but hopefully they would tie me up too much.

NE450No2

I have some of those SIG aluminium bottles too. 2 x 1 litre ones work well with a green cloth twin wine bottle carrier especially if one has a 'blackamatic' to carry it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Gadge
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/04
Loc: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
      #23111 - 01/01/05 09:56 PM

Folks,
There's an alternative to the Camelback brand that's worth looking for, as it has a rather better sip valve, and is easier to clean out. The brand is Hydrapak, and bicycle and motorcycle shops are probably the best places to look. A google on the search term 'hydrapak site:au' will bring up some retailers.

They have a couple of sizes, 2 and 3 litre, and quite a few variants, including a bumbag style.

--------------------
Cheers,
Doug

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #23122 - 02/01/05 01:05 AM

John,

I have a Camelbak "ThermoBak" (3 liters) that I've been very happy with:

A friend gave it to me after using it for 6 months in A.stan, and besides having to switch to a new drinking valve (the old one was a bit battle damaged) it's still working like new. This particular version has a neoprene insulation on the hose, and an insulated drinking valve piece is also available for cold climate conditions, which I have bought, but not used yet. I haven't tried it out in serious below zero conditions (it was only a few degrees below zero this past moose hunt), but will report back when I have done so later this winter while X-country skiing.

Considering what I know this Camelbak went thru before it was given to me, I'd say that they are definatly quality products that are built to last.

Erik

PC3
.224 member

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Victoria Australia
Re: Camelbacks? [Re: EricD]
      #30363 - 01/05/05 09:34 PM

I have a blackhawk industries................same as camel bak it has some insulation as well, they make a lot of stuff for the special ops blokes in the states I think.

tunofun
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Darwin, NT, Australia
Re: Camelbacks? [Re: PC3]
      #31057 - 14/05/05 01:09 AM

CamelBak charge like a wounded bull (!) for their paks but they make the best bladders. I bought an el-cheapo pak, one with a small area in it for carrying stuff and fit a 3L and a 2L bladder to it, I have a valve to switch between them. This is good for when you want to switch between rum and bourbon... It allows 5L capacity and cost heaps less than a camelbak 3L jobbie. Still go through it all easy in a half day though, I add powder cordial (army stuff with electrolytes) to the bladders and have a choice of two wonderful flavors!

--------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud -- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Camelbacks? [Re: tunofun]
      #31068 - 14/05/05 02:49 AM

I can understand how you can go through 5 litres in the Territory heat, especially after October.

Are you able to post pics of your dual bag setup?

I made sure I could remove the bladder from mine when buying it, to allow it to be used in larger packs if required.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tunofun
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Darwin, NT, Australia
      #31111 - 14/05/05 12:42 PM

In reply to:

Are you able to post pics of your dual bag setup?

Sure, my pleasure, but not until Monday, my digi camera is on loan.

In reply to:

I made sure I could remove the bladder from mine when buying it, to allow it to be used in larger packs if required

Thats what you need, unless you are hunting close to your car then you need heaps of water up here. Not so bad at the moment but wait a few months! Whew!

--------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud -- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Camelbacks? [Re: tunofun]
      #32507 - 01/06/05 12:37 AM

A camelback is a great gift to give a PH. It makes stopping for water a very quick affair. And the client can store his camera and extra film in the camelback, which a tracker will carry of course.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #39218 - 17/10/05 01:55 PM

Once a year in the clear of summer I spend about twenty days out in the high desert of Northern Nevada.
Gets pretty hot out there, it's dry as hell.
I use one of the large camel back type outfits, I think mine's a genuine article from the camel back company. It carries five liters of water.

One of the good things about carrying a camel back is that you can ice the water, and as a system it'll help keep your body temperature down by having that bladder full of iced water close to your body, the backpack shading your back.

Mine's got quite a bit of cargo space as well. Outrageous dust storms and sudden rain showers happen out there and it's good to be able to keep eye and respritory system protection safe and sound in the pack, out of the dust.
I also keep one of the ultra light weight mylar blankets in the pack just in case I need the cover, to signal for help, set up water stills...

Still with all the basic survival gear and water in there, I still have room for my 1911 .45 and a couple of spare magazines, a handful of power bar energy sticks or whatever light food items I might want to pack, and room on the outside to rig whatever else I'd need on a short hike away from the base camp.

I've had a small folding chair on one side and a camera tripod on the other and wasn't bothered at all with the load while hiking into the foothills or trails.

A great accessory for the camel back is an insulation slip for the drinking tube. They're typically made of something resembling wetsuit material and keep the water in the tube cool. It beats a hot mouthful of water, the insulation insures a tube full of cool drink.

Also note some of the bladders these days come with a large fill hole. They're great if you can find them, it's just a little easier to get a handful or two of ice through a large fill hole than it is a small one. It won't cost you more money and it'll make a difference.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Bushie
.224 member

Reged: 24/10/05
Loc: Australia
Re: Camelbacks? [Re: tinker]
      #39772 - 25/10/05 11:59 PM

NitroX ,
Found out that a 2 litre bladder isn't big enough when in the Territory recently . Gotta be the most expensive plastic bag you'll ever buy I reckon . The bladder cost more than my (good) daypack . Stuffed if I'm forking out another 50 bucks for a 3 litre bladder . Will just chuck in a couple of water bottles I reckon .

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Camelbacks? [Re: Bushie]
      #39774 - 26/10/05 12:32 AM

Bushie

I think my camelback is only two litres but I haven't tested out just how much it holds. Hopefully it is closer to 3 litres as it is more than 2 litres.

I like them a lot. The water stays much cooler than in army style canteens which heat up. It isn't necessary to stop for a drink. One can sip anytime and this is a big advantage. I drink a lot of water and a sip now and again is much better than a bigger drink more often.

Mine is a dedicated water carrier only. I will certainly now also look for a day pack version with a camelback (5 litres sounds good) incorporated so other gear can be carried internally in the pack as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #42466 - 29/11/05 01:31 AM

Does anyone find these to be a bother to clean? Their instructions for cleaning seem burdensome. Is it worth the bother and to try something else? Or just deal with it as another thing to maintain.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Camelbacks? [Re: foxfire]
      #42475 - 29/11/05 05:15 AM

foxfire,

If you don't already own one, I would suggest buying one of the
Bladder cleaning kits - essentially a large Brush to helps get inside
the bladder.

An alternative to a bladder are the 2Ltr US Army Water Bottles
- the soft ones with the pouer on an angle that go in a Green
camo bag with a strap.

They hold a good quantity of water and because they are soft
you can expel any air after drinking to stop the water sloshing
around.

Being on a strap that goes across your body, they are also easier
to ditch when in a hurry or going in for a stalk.

500 Nitro

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Camelbacks? [Re: foxfire]
      #42476 - 29/11/05 05:56 AM

Foxfire,

What I do is simply add a dash (about 1 dl) of clorine with a full 3 liter bag of water, drain a little out via the mouthpiece to make sure some of the clorine water is in the hose, let it sit for 15 minutes, then empty. I then rinse out a few times with fresh water. This might not be the "right" way, but it's worked for me with no problems.

Erik

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10397

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com