Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: C'mon fellas whats goin on

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
wharf
.300 member

Reged: 02/08/04
Loc: aust
C'mon fellas whats goin on
      #26140 - 12/02/05 01:57 AM

Dont you blokes use handguns much?I must be biased.I love my rifles,But handguns are the ducks guts.This is sure to bur up someone.Im sorry but I cant help it.Its a handgun thing I think.

--------------------
if it bleeds we can kill it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: C'mon fellas whats goin on [Re: wharf]
      #26145 - 12/02/05 02:29 AM

wharf,i love my handguns just as much as i do my rifles and always carry one on my hunts,just to practise during the rest period.I have a .22 Ruger Mark11(six inch barrel)for target shooting,.32 mag. bull dog(2"bbl.for conceal carry)by Charter Arms,9mm.Beretta(FS96)andCZ75 and my prize possession,a Colt Python 357mag. with a 10"bbl.for scaring the shit out of people.I am desperately trying to obtain a Luger(broomhandle)automatic with a wooden holster which can be attached to form a carbine from a friend who simply refuses to sell it to me.However i will keep on trying and will get it one day.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: C'mon fellas whats goin on [Re: iqbal]
      #26148 - 12/02/05 03:07 AM

I did not think much of handguns until I got my Kimber MKII target in .45 ACP - I love it.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

wharf
.300 member

Re: C'mon fellas whats goin on [Re: iqbal]
      #26165 - 12/02/05 08:56 AM

Is the broomhandle a luger or a mauser?

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #26208 - 12/02/05 08:00 PM

Dude, the Broomhandles are usually Mauser unless you get one of the Spanish versions which were made by Astra.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

wharf
.300 member

Re: C'mon fellas whats goin on [Re: 475Guy]
      #26211 - 12/02/05 08:57 PM

Only ever seen one at the war memorial.Love to have a shot.But down here i think they sell for a bit.

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #26212 - 12/02/05 10:13 PM

Well, you asked for it guys!

Here's a pic of my Mauser C-96 pistol. Its a 'bolo' version, made in 1927, chambered for the 7.63 Mauser cartridge. The exterior is a little scruffy, but thankfully it is near-mint inside, and the bore is in very good shape. It is a good shooter, not bad for the 500 bucks I swapped it for, several years ago. It came with a repro wooden shoulder-stock holster which had to be modified slightly to fit the slot in the grip, and I have since added the leather harness complete with cleaning-tool and spare magazine-spring in a pouch, from Simon Lawrence.

I was always intrigued by Bell's stories of using his "bom-bom" to intimidate hostile African tribes, and had to have one. Its a hoot to shoot!

Regarding ammo, there is only a thou or so difference between the 7.63 Luger, Mauser, and Tokarev cartridges, many broomhandles or bolos will chamber all three, but the Chinese toss too much powder in their Tokarev loads in my experience. I started out shooting Norinco Tokarev ammo in this gun, but recoil was a bit severe and I didn't want to risk peening-back the bolt-stop, so I now pull them down and reduce the powder-charge. I recently acquired a hundred brass cases and a set of dies, so if I can locate the right projectiles I will start reloading. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

iqbal
resigned as a member

#26221 - 13/02/05 02:48 AM

Sorry,it's a Mauser.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Re: C'mon fellas whats goin on [Re: Marrakai]
      #26222 - 13/02/05 02:53 AM

Marrakai
You are lucky you got one.I have been on the lookout for this baby since a long time and recently spotted one with a friend of mine,but he just won't part with it.Some friend!
I don't know why but i'm fascinated with this weapon,love its style and shooting.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #26231 - 13/02/05 11:55 AM

In reply to:

Poster: Marrakai
Subject: Re: C'mon fellas whats goin on

Well, you asked for it guys!

Here's a pic of my Mauser C-96 pistol. ..........

Marrakai

You give me the shits sometimes with what you keep pulling out of the box.

But keep them coming for us to enjoy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

wharf
.300 member

#26240 - 13/02/05 03:45 PM

Nice looking peice.The last one I saw for sale was $1300.What sort of projjies cast or jacket?

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

#26255 - 14/02/05 12:02 AM

Dude, for that mini 30 cal, it seems that you would have to use something fast like Bullseye or 700X. I never reloaded mine when I used to shoot it alot since I had finagled several cases of ammo at below cost way back when. If you can find some of the older Speer Manuals, I believe it was listed in one of them. Sorry if I can't be more specific.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

BwanaBob
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
      #41814 - 17/11/05 03:01 PM

Wharf, where do you live?

I have a very nice Broomhandle coming (just waiting on paperwork). Maybe, if we are ever in the same neck of the woods, you can have a shot of mine (when I have it, that is.)

And you are right, they do sell for quite a bit but you can get lucky at times (as I did with this one!).

--------------------
"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: C'mon fellas whats goin on [Re: BwanaBob]
      #42269 - 24/11/05 03:30 AM

A Broomhandle was always one of the "sexy" guns that I had to have. But raising two kids on a county cops salary didn't leave a lot of room for a such "toys".

Some years ago the Chinese cut loose with their large inventory of Broomhandles here in the US. Some beautiful pieces came out of that bunch and a great deal of junk. I picked out a junker fixer upper needs repair special from one of the outfits sellling the stuff dirt cheap, that was with in my meager budget, as long as the wife didn't find out.

The bore was beyond sewer pipe. The exterior, rough rusted and about like a rusty farm tool that had been hanging in a barn for years. But as it turned out not heavily pitted. Chamber was rought but shootable. Wood grips were in the last stages of terminal wood rot. It looked like a good winter project fixer upper to me.

I tried shooting the gun. It did fire, but only one shot at a time and real close up it even hit the target. Something was wrong inside and the slide would not go closed and lock after firing.

The gun got set aside for the future. We got the kids raised up and sent off in life, I went back to college, and started doing Gunsmithing for food. Deciding that I didn't have the artistic skills needed of a gunsmith to be able to make money enough to eat more than beans, I went back to Law enforcement work at the federal level and kept the gunsmithing as a side business. Much more profitable and I have put on a little weight.

I now had sometime for my projects.

The junker broomhandle was a good place to start. I first had to figure out why it wouldn't function. Everything pointed to something being wrong with the locking block. Stone and peen, no matter what I couldn't make it work. Back on the shelf went the gun. I looked around for a replacement block, but none was to be found.

I was at a gunshow in Houston and as I went by one table here was this guy with a table full of replacement parts for Broomhandles. Yipee. I went home and got my locking block and went through the fellows parts and found one of the same pattern as mine. (They ain't all the same, trust me.)

The part dropped right in and the gun hand cycled. Later that week at the range the gun functioned flawlessly. Okay flawlessly as far as the bullets coming out of the barrel. The target was only in moderated danger.

I now had the choice of sending the gun off and having the barrel relined to .30 Mauser or rebored to 9mm. The cost was similar but 9mm ammo Parabelum is cheaper. The gun became a 9MM.

When I got the gun back from rebore it shot reliabily , hit the target everytime but was dog ugly. Time for refinish.

I already had a set of new made replacement grips, it was the metal that needed work.

One thing I am very concerned about is that some where down the road someone gets their hands on a gun I restored and it gets represented to some one less knowledgable as "original". On the other hand I want the gun to look as nice as the original as possible.

I used soft polishing stones to polish this gun. One of the characteristics of the broomhandles is the machine cut-outs on the side of the gun have tool marks in the bottom of the cuttout. These are the swirly patterns made by the tip of the tool. I used a slightly coarser grit stone to polish the tool marks out but make them linear as if machine made. A collector will know they aren't real. But they still look nice.

I gave some though to having the Markings recut, but again to make sure this gun is not mistaken as original I left them washed.

With the gun polished out it was time for refinish. Rust blue was considered, but again to identifiy this as a resortartion I went with hot blue.

Here is the finished prodcut:

How did I do?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

475Guy
.400 member

Re: C'mon fellas whats goin on [Re: DoubleD]
      #42287 - 24/11/05 12:20 PM

DD

Not bad at all. In fact, you done good. Too bad you didn't get a chance at one in 45 ACP. One found its way into my safe and only shot it to make sure it functions. Like most bh's accuracy was only OK, especially if you're used to 1911A1's with tack driving capabilities.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: C'mon fellas whats goin on [Re: 475Guy]
      #42306 - 24/11/05 04:42 PM

475guy,

Edit, I assume by "BH" you mean "Blackhawk".

If the Blackhawks you've used with .45 ACP cylinders are otherwise good, take an ACP cylinder and have it rechambered to .45 Winchester Magnum or if possible rechamber the ACP cylinder with nice tight .45 Colt chambers. It should make them a lot more usable and more accurate than they are with the either Ruger's .45 ACP cylinder or .45 Colt cylinder.

Personally I wouldn't do this myself any more, because I got hooked on revolvers built by Freedom Arms.

The nice thing about handguns is that if you have a good revolver chambered in .45 Colt, you don't need any more handguns...that makes it nice and cheap even if you buy the best.

I have seen and held several broomhandle Mausers...and still have no idea why anyone would want one.

Richard

Edited by rgp (24/11/05 04:44 PM)

475Guy
.400 member

Re: C'mon fellas whats goin on [Re: rgp]
      #42316 - 25/11/05 03:19 AM

No sir, bh's means broomhandles. I'm just a 4 kind of a guy, any caliber with a 4 is OK in my book. And yes, I happen to like Ruger handguns also. I have a few sitting around.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3857

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com