Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .416 Rigby in break-open /side-by-side)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Robie
.275 member

Reged: 04/04/03
.416 Rigby in break-open /side-by-side)
      #4219 - 19/09/03 06:38 PM

Is it safe - reliable to use non-rimmed cartridges is break-open rifles, such as .416 Rigby?
Robie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cooch
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/03
Loc: Southern NSW
Re: .416 Rigby in break-open /side-by-side) [Re: Robie]
      #4244 - 22/09/03 12:06 AM

Robie....

Considering the number of rimless rounds chambered in rifles and pistols such as Thomson's Contender series, I'd have to suggest that it's technically safe as long as pressure levels are kept within the limits of the action.

OTOH, with rimless cases there is probably a greater risk of the rim slipping past the extractor. IF this is likely to result in a jam or failure to extract, then it may not make much sense to use such a rifle on dangerous game.

Others will have more exprience than I.

Cheers......... Cooch

--------------------
"The only logical response to an animal that lives obsessed with avoiding capture is to chase it." - Jose Ortega y Gassett

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #4245 - 22/09/03 01:42 AM

Robie

If it was me I would go for a .500/.416 Nitro Express which gives you a long tapered rimmed case in .416 and approximately duplicates the .416 Rigby ballistics.

Krieghof and maybe others make modern doubles in this calibre.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #11604 - 16/03/04 12:06 AM

Robie,

Obviously Rigby didn't think so, since they only ever made two. Kind of tells you something! Actually, as I recall, the first was as a result of some armtwisting by the Maharhaja of Surjoja pre-war, and when it came back onto the market in the nineties, the right barrel was shot out! Very partial to tigers it seems - his Shikar tent was made of tiger skins! Must have been a damn fine shot though! The other was made "in the modern era" when Rigby's were under the stewardship of J Roberts & Son. Don't know what the current crew are up to, but nothing would surprise me there.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: .416 Rigby in break-open /side-by-side) [Re: 470Rigby]
      #11616 - 16/03/04 04:34 AM

There have been problems with rimless double rifles (extractors don't engage the rim or the extractor gets broken when closing the rifle), so the rumor about the inadvisability use of rimless cartridges in doubles has some merit. Further, the 416 rigby develops more pressure than typical double rifle rounds, raising the chances that your gun will quickly be shot off face.

Therefore, I would prefer a rimmed cartridge.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: .416 Rigby in break-open /side-by-side) [Re: 500grains]
      #11618 - 16/03/04 05:26 AM

I have seen 458 ejectors jump the rimless cartridge and jam the gum so badly that a gunsmith is needed...The 416 will surely do the same...

The 416 or any rimless round is has too much pressure for a double rifle..doubles in 416 and 375 have a history of shooting off the face very quickly..Merkle is getting a lesson in this and last I heard were going to drop the 375 and 416 from there offering...

A double cannot and will not take the pressure of a single shot such as the Thompson or Ruger...doubles are in the 14 ton catagory, that is 28,000 PSI...thats not a lot of pressure...The 375 and 416 operate at considerably more pressure than that...both can operate at 60,000 PSI...

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: .416 Rigby in break-open /side-by-side) [Re: NitroX]
      #11659 - 16/03/04 03:30 PM

Robie

NitroX pointed you to the perfect "Rigby" for a DR, the 500/416. That was the reason for it's development.

When I can't stand it any longer not having a bigger bore than my 9,3s or the 375 FM that I'm having done up in one of my Valmets, my Searcy DR will be in 500/416...some day ...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

470Rigby
.333 member

Re: .416 Rigby in break-open /side-by-side) [Re: atkinson6]
      #11677 - 16/03/04 11:30 PM

atkinson6 - as I recall, when the Maharaja of Surjoja's much used Rigby 416 double came onto the market in the UK, the photos didn't indicate that it had been tightened - and could not have been loose since that sort of thing is a no-no there! In my view, that is probably a testament to the Rigby action strength (not sure whether it was rising bolt, or a later Webley & Scott) or quality of the original action fitting by Rigby's! Quite probably both! The point is, on a properly made gun, 416 pressures are probably OK, dare I say - unlike another well known London maker's (did someone say "Legends in their Minds"?) heavy doubles, or quite possibly anybody else's, with the exception of a well fitted Webley & Scott PHV1 action. The real issue is case extraction - nobody's figured how to make it work on a rimless case!

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: .416 Rigby in break-open /side-by-side) [Re: atkinson6]
      #11692 - 17/03/04 05:23 AM

In reply to:

A double cannot and will not take the pressure of a single shot such as the Thompson or Ruger...doubles are in the 14 ton catagory, that is 28,000 PSI...thats not a lot of pressure...The 375 and 416 operate at considerably more pressure than that...both can operate at 60,000 PSI...

Pressures are certainly a booga bo to be avoided in a double rifle, but another thing with rimless cartridges, in a double, is extraction, or the lack of extraction.

As far as pressures of the 375H&H, and the 416 Rigby,goes, the biggest problem is folks who are drawn to these type cartridges, have a habit of looking for MORE, and MORE velocity, and that even ups the already high pressures of those cartridges. Even with factory ammo both are high for the 18th century technology of a break top double. Ray is right, no matter if new or old, these cartridges are hard on doubles, and will shoot off face sooner or later. If you are a handloader, and have no experience with double rifles, sooner will be my guess!

Rays formula for pressure is not quite correct, but close. The tons listed for NE cartridges are in Imp long tons of 2240 lbs. The formula for his example is 14 LTs X 2240 = 31360 psi, not 28000 psi. Additionally,in defence of the old double rifle's stringth, the old standby 450NE 3 1/4" puts out 17 tons (17 LTs X 2240 = 38080 psi) with factory ammo. All this puts the Nitro proofed double rifle, of any quality, to be in the under 40,000 lb range, and most likely proofed with loads that developed around 45, to 48,000 psi. They would not take a steady diet of that load, however. The problem with the cartridges,416 Rigby, and 375 H&H, listed above they start out at much higher pressures in factory ammo.

The high pressures, when combined with the unreliability of a rimless cartridge, in a double, IMO, makes bad company!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

470Rigby
.333 member

Re: .416 Rigby in break-open /side-by-side) [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #11703 - 17/03/04 10:36 AM

DUGABOY - I think you are giving 416 Rigby pressures a bum rap. Original Kynoch loads listed pressures, as you correctly stated at 17 tons per square inch (tpsi)-actually up to 18 tpsi for the 410gn load, which is not out of line with many flanged cartridges widely used for double rifles such as 450NE - 17 tpsi, 450/400NE (3 & 31/4 inch)-16-16.5 tpsi, 500NE - 16 tpsi. 375 Fl. Magnum at 18 tpsi equals it, and that probably explains why some rifles of inferior design and make do shoot loose! Not forgetting the good old "low pressure" 303 British at 17.5 - 18.5 tpsi, depending on load. Further, when Graeme Wright took a range of handloads to the Birmingham Proof House, mostly based on proven IMR 4350/4381 charges, the pressures were invariably down on the original Cordite loads. and, by the way - you can't simply multiply old copper crusher tpsi x 2240 and get psi in modern CIP or SAAMI equivalents - dangerous notion the needs to be laid to rest. I don't know what load Federal use for 416 Rigby, but presumably, with modern powders, they should be similarly down on the Cordite loads. But - handloading? Well, if some dickhead wants to experiment with hot loads in doubles - then that is only the evolutionary process of natural selection at work. For me it is comforting to know that he wouldn't be doing it with an original Rigby - since, as I say - they didn't make many 416's. In other words, if he blows himself up, and some other shitbox brand of rifle up - then it could only be a good outcome all round!

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #11712 - 17/03/04 12:40 PM

The real shame lies in their ruining fine old guns with utter ignorance. Who cares that they have no head left on their shoulders? It was of little use to them, anyway.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

470Rigby
.333 member

Re: .416 Rigby in break-open /side-by-side) [Re: luv2safari]
      #11758 - 18/03/04 08:25 AM

l2s - Did I seem relaxed about blowing up fine old doubles? Anything that wasn't made by Rigby - with very few exceptions - is junk - and would be no great loss anyway! Besides - anybody that blows up a Rigby needs to be weeded out of the gene pool!

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #12224 - 23/03/04 08:49 AM

470,Rigby,
Well all I can say is let those who wish shoot their doubles at bolt action pressure and I will shoot mine at 14 tons, no more....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2932

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com