Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bailed stag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Bailed stag
      #315 - 01/01/03 03:55 PM

I picked up this super pic while surfing the net--i reckon its a ripper

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Bailed stag [Re: gryphon]
      #317 - 01/01/03 04:09 PM

Gryphon

With all your photos of Sambar I really must make a trip to the Vic Alps this winter.

Nice stag

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Bailed stag [Re: NitroX]
      #359 - 02/01/03 11:31 AM

Nitro i am back in Qld for the moment and should be in Vic for a hunt in or around June `03 and if you need a place you can come for the run with us(self supported-you have a 4wd?) and slog around the bush chasing the real fella`s.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #415 - 04/01/03 01:12 AM

Definitely of interest. May have to defer another hunt though, else I won't get much work done in June.

No problems re 4WD and gear etc.

Are you stalking or hound hunting? Where are you hunting - Wonangatta, Big River, North of Gippsland?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #420 - 04/01/03 02:03 AM

Gryphon,

Can I come as well ???
I wish if only I could make it after seeing your pics on the website it makes my mouth water one thing that does bother me is if I had to come over for a 3-4 week visit to AUS and I have one go and trying for sambar what would be my chances on Sambar or anythign else actually I suppose you have seasons as well ?

I would only be able to come early in the year so what is huntable then ?

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Bailed stag [Re: SafariHunt]
      #432 - 04/01/03 07:33 AM

Nitro i hunt an area according to the weather patterns and what time of year it is often using my diary as a rough guide.`Gatta shuts on the Queens birthday w`end until Cup day in Nov and unless a dump is made its out.I do like places around the Goulburn R. as we always find good numbers of deer (hard tough hunting too) and i had a novice sambar hunter from Canberra come down last year for a swap hunt and he saw 9 deer for the week(missed a sitter too) which is bloody good going,i saw 14, with mate (exp) from Tas seeing six.One good stag beat me hands down but thats normal.And its stalking only these days for me.Safarihunt in answer to your mail your chances of getting a stag in 3-4 weeks would be good only IF-----you have lots of luck------you work your arse off like never before------ you can cope with cold wet steep slippery rocky heavily bushed mountain country----- maybe snow as well------ can shoot quickly with accuracy---- hunting a basically nocturnal animal--- a few other things ----not to mention "those bloody Aussies haha" No season on sambar at all ---no limits on either sex as well---if you are good enough you can shoot plenty of deer (if you are good enough that is) but sambar hunting is not about numbers as being the animal they are even a spikey is considered a "win" or even a hind,there are many men that hunt these deer that dont connect with one for even years,but for someone that has good hunting experience on other game it can be used very successfully on sambar.These deer will crawl on their knees in low scrub to elude a hunter if needed---swim downriver underwater as well-----or often sit and watch the hunter walk right past them as close as a few yards,they really are an extraordinary deer species with their inherent cunning that was formulated in their original land "the home of the tiger" and being the main prey species of the tiger it has kept that cunning in their blood even though we dont have tigers here.I have hunted other deer Hoggie`s and Fallow and they play their games with hunters too but not like the big boys.Regards your q`s on other game ---in sambar ground you can see dingo`s (wild dogs) foxes and native animals but if we are hunting deer we dont shoot anything else generally,maybe a dog where there are not deer to scare off but for other deer it is a matter of hunting elsewhere and in season.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2219

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com