Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: does this sound like a good deal?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
gohip2000
.224 member

Reged: 22/07/05
Loc: germany
does this sound like a good deal?
      #41964 - 20/11/05 11:50 AM

I was offered a new custom 375 H&H sako 75 with a montana action, bedded and free floated, scoped, and test fired with accuracy under an inch at 100 yrds for $1300. is that a good deal? I didn't have the money at the time and think I might regret not having the $$$ because it sounded like a nice rifle. I'm sure the rifle is gone now because the seller was going to bring it to a gun show.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Judson
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/05
Loc: St. Albans Maine U.S.A.
Re: does this sound like a good deal? [Re: gohip2000]
      #41972 - 20/11/05 12:56 PM

As a custom rifle builder I will not use a Montana action again on any of my custom rifles!!!! Quality is rough to say the least the actions are gritty and need lots of clean up to get them smooth and slick. All this clean up means removal of metal which means, take your pick rough and noisy or slick and sloppy. Our moto is if you are not happy with our rifle then you do not get it, you get your money back. With this in mind I will not use their actions!

--------------------
It is the small calibers that are the biggest bores.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #41982 - 20/11/05 02:09 PM

Not sure what a 375 H&H sako 75 is. Is it just a 375 H&H on a Montana action?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: does this sound like a good deal? [Re: mickey]
      #41994 - 20/11/05 04:46 PM

A sako 75 is the name / model of one of the current Sako's
avavailable.

Why it's got Montana in it's description I don't know.

Check out what a Sako 75 in 375H&H is retailing for in Europe
and it will give you an idea.

500 Nitro

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: does this sound like a good deal? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #41998 - 20/11/05 06:20 PM

So is it a SAKO with a Montana action or is that just the model name?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

gohip2000
.224 member

#42000 - 20/11/05 10:23 PM

It is a sako rifle, the action was switched out with a montana action. I belive he said it was trued or something like that. I'm still learning so...
I think he might have had a different barrel on it too, but can't remember. oh well, it's sold by now.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what is meant by the action is trued. I'm guessing it means any burs are removed and edges are smoothed out for smoother operation. is this what it is?

Edited by gohip2000 (20/11/05 10:29 PM)

375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
      #42002 - 20/11/05 11:05 PM

Judson

I know that this is taking the thread a little bit off-track but as you can see from my number of posts I am new at this as well. So as a custom builder what actions would you recommend if you were building a rifle. Maybe you could mention a couple - starting with the minimum you would use up to something that is top of the range.

Thanks & Regards
375Fetish

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #42043 - 21/11/05 11:32 AM

The action, barrel & stock IS the rifle. So, if it has a Montana action, it is no longer a Sako rifle - it is a Montana actioned rifle using a Sako barrel &/or stock. It definitley, is NOT a Sako, anymore and bears no pricing relationship.
: BTW- the Fins I spoke to last year used to be Sako admirers. They say Sako has made junk since late 70's or early 80's. They are now dislusioned about Sako, their home product.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gohip2000
.224 member

Re: does this sound like a good deal? [Re: DarylS]
      #42080 - 21/11/05 09:13 PM

I know what you are saying, but what I meant was it started as a sako rifle, then the action was replaced. The guy who was selling this rifle said he use to work for sako and that their quality has been going down. hmm interesting, 2 sources saying the same thing

Bushie
.224 member

Reged: 24/10/05
Loc: Australia
      #42090 - 22/11/05 12:19 AM

Show me a rifle (or anything else for that matter) that people say is improving in quality . On every internet forum you read stories about Sakos , Remingtons , Winchesters and Brnos / CZs that aren't as good as they used to be .
You may have noticed that none of the cartridges introduced in the last 40 years are any good either .
Frankly I couldn't give a stuff (and neither should you) whether the Fins or someone who used to work at Sako doesn't think they're as good as they used to be . Really , how could they be any good if he's no longer there to keep an eye on things ?
If you know something about firearms then pick a Sako 75 up and compare it with an older model yourself and base your judgement on that . You might be surprised .
I've said it before . Not everything new is crap and not everything old is golden .

Edited by Bushie (22/11/05 12:30 AM)

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
Re: does this sound like a good deal? [Re: Bushie]
      #42092 - 22/11/05 12:49 AM

Well my Sako 75 Hunter will put 3ea. 270gr bullets thru the same hole at 200 yds. That rifle is not junk and was bought in the 80's. Thats all I have to say about that.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: does this sound like a good deal? [Re: jro45]
      #42094 - 22/11/05 01:55 AM

Don't attempt to jump on me - I didn't say they wouldn't shoot - just repeating what the Fins said about their own countries BIG gun maker. They were VERY disapointed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Metswedi
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/05
Loc: Yorks. England
Re: does this sound like a good deal? [Re: DarylS]
      #42122 - 22/11/05 08:10 AM

Got to agree with Daryl, the recent Sakos I have seen have not impressed and I have heard numerous complaints about them. Surprisingly, the Tikkas which I believe are also made by Sako have a very enthusiastic following. I have owned two and am very impressed with the quality and the accuracy. Most of my shooting buddies either own or have owned one and I have heard very few negative comments.

Certainly in my neck of the woods there is a definite leaning away from Sako as a quality product, they are relatively expensive and I guess people expect top notch quality for the money.

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: does this sound like a good deal? [Re: Metswedi]
      #42125 - 22/11/05 08:37 AM

Intertesingly, the Tikka was bought out as a
lower cost alternative to the Sako.

However in this country, the Tikka T3 series
sell really well (probably because of price) but
what you get is not bad (except the drop box
magazine which I hate).

However I think the Sako branded guns have
followed the quality level DOWN as well
but they still seem to charge a premium price.

A few mates and I buy any early (L ?) series Sako
we can get our hands on (?L61, L579 etc etc)
- correct me if I have my numbers the wrong
way round
to build Non DG guns on.

500 Nitro

gohip2000
.224 member

Re: does this sound like a good deal? [Re: Bushie]
      #42175 - 22/11/05 11:03 PM

sorry, I didn't meen to stir hatefull emotions. I was just saying what someone told me. I don't just take one opinion and make my desitions on that. I always heard that sakos were great quality except from this former worker. I told him I might be interested in a 458 Lott in the future and he told me the lott was not a very good cartridge because it had poor accuracy from his experience. what his experience is, I don't know, besides he said he had a rifle in that caliber and it was not accurate, but don't kill the messager. most of what I have heard is the oposite from what this guy is saying about rifles and cartridges. I still want to get a lott in the future because many other people have said they are accurate if you can shoot it well.
The reason I ask other people about stuff like this is because It's almost impossible for me to find any of the rifles I want so that I can actually hold them and work the bolts. instead I have to ask opinions and order the rifle even if I just want to hold it. No stores around seem to have many big bores at all, but they can order them. it sucks

500Nitro
.450 member

#42176 - 22/11/05 11:13 PM

gohip2000

1. For a start, in general the cartridge can't be inaccurate, it is the gun
and / or the Shooter.

2. There is no such thing as a stupid question and these forums
are a great place to ask so keep asking.

3. Always good to get other opinions.

500 Nitro

Bushie
.224 member

Reged: 24/10/05
Loc: Australia
Re: does this sound like a good deal? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #42179 - 22/11/05 11:37 PM

Gohip and Daryl S ,
No hateful emotions or malice here so sorry if my last post came across that way . Just reckon the old vs new arguement is getting a bit tired .
I like the early Sakos too but really good used ones are getting harder to find unless you have lots of patience (tried unsuccessfully to buy an L461 or A1 .17 or .222 myself recently). Demand is greater than supply .
Current Sako's are about 20% dearer than their US competitors here in Oz but IMHO you are still getting a better quality rifle . When I bought my Sako L579 .220 Swift in 1980 I believe the price differential was greater than it is today .
I pose the question ; "What can you buy (new) that's any better than a Sako 75 for similar money ? "
If you want a better finished Sako and can afford it then one option may be to step up to a deluxe or custom shop model ?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3241

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com