Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: is the 9,3x74R dead?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Robie
.275 member

Reged: 04/04/03
is the 9,3x74R dead?
      #4189 - 15/09/03 09:44 PM

I am looking at a Krieghoff Optima drilling (dbl.rifle). Is the good old faithfull 9,3x74R dead? Should I invest and go for a .375H&H Flanged for african-game (gnu, zebra, boar, sml plains-game)?

Robie J.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Re: is the 9,3x74R dead? [Re: Robie]
      #4214 - 18/09/03 06:53 PM

I used to carry a double 9.3x74R to Africa, but after several troubles with angry buffalos (even a Sable ), I decided to buy a 470NE, very safe and really powerfull. Now I'm still using my double 9.3 in Spain for Monterķa and I use a 375 H&H for plains game in Africa.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #4454 - 18/10/03 03:23 AM

With proper loads, and quality bullets, the 9.3X74R in a well made double rifle is just fine for about anything you would want to hunt, under normal conditions! That being said, There are better choices for following up wounded "BITE-BACKS" But it is almost perfect for the cats over bait, IS perfect for large plains game,again with proper bullets, and placement. The Sable is not a good animal to judge by, as I have never seen a sable go streight down unless the spine, or brain was hit, with any caliber!They are damn tough. On Buffalo, with the first shot, a quality soft, in the heart/lung area, followed by as many solids as you can get into him before he's out of sight, it will work as well as anything!

Gregor Woods, author of RIFLES for AFRICA, who has 40 years of hunting experience in Africa, says a S/S double 9.3X74R is his choice for followong up cats! I'm not sure I would go that far,maybe on Leopard, but not lion, but then I don't have the experience he does!

I agree a 40 cal double would be a little safer to use on Buffalo, and Elephant, but I'd not hesitate to shoot either with my little 9.3X74R double, if that was what was in my hands at the time of meeting!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Edited by DUGABOY1 (18/10/03 03:26 AM)

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #6495 - 04/01/04 12:25 PM

robie,

...i posted the below attached message on another chat board that may somewhat answer your question on whether to select a double in 9.3x74r or .375 flanged...

...as you may note, the norma ballistics charts show that the 9.3 may be superior to both the .375 flanged and the .375hh rounds in factory loadings at distances beyond 100 yards...

...of course those with extensive hunting experience may provide further insight on the actual field results of the various cartridges...

te

PREVIOUS POST

...if you go to www.norma.cc you will find a graphical ballistics chart that visually plots the trajectory, v and me of various cartridges that norma manufactures...

...for comparison purposes, and since my focus was on pre-regulated double rifles, i assumed the use of standard factory ammunition with bullets that i would actual use on a hunt (9.3 with 285 grain orxy; .375 with 300 grain barnes solid)...

...at 100 yards, the norma chart indicates the following results: 9.3/.375 v = 2110fps vs. 2054fps; me = 2820flbs vs. 2812flbs...also, the 9.3 trajectory is flatter than both the .375 flanged and the .375hh...

...i am sure that a hand-loaded .375hh round in a bolt action single would easily surpass the 9.3 in all relevant criteria...however, for my purposes, and given my preference for doubles, the 9.3 appears more than satisfactory for my requirements state-side and abroad...i also note that featured phs in the african hunter magazine (e.g., ganyana) favor the similar 9.3x62 for all species of game, dangerous included...

...i suppose this is what makes our sport uniquely delightful, the ability to consciously choose a personalized 'tool' for your hunting quest in terms of action, barreling, calibre, bullet, etc...i also suppose there are no right answers, but given my distain for my bulkier, heavier bolt/falling block actions (.416 rigby/.458win.mag.), the 9.3 seems to suit me well at this point, and to be sufficiently adequate for my hunting needs...

...te...

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: is the 9,3x74R dead? [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #7098 - 19/01/04 03:06 PM

I sure hope not! I just bought a nice Merkel 204 action two barrel set with a set of stacked 9,3x74r's, and a set of 16/8x57jr w/4x scope in claws. I have used a Simson drilling in 12 & 9,3x74r in Tanzania several times and a Valmet 412 in the same tubes, and with a stacked 9,3 set. I particularly like the Valmet, because I can regulate the barrels for Woodleigh 320 gr bullets. This option is not an option for most 9,3x74's, however.

I killed a pretty good buff at Lokisale in 2000 with that drilling, but scared myself in doing it. It is real stupid to have two barrels of bird shot as follow-up.

I used the Valmet o/u 9,3, regulated for the 320's, a year ago and put two quick shots where they belonged. I used the Woodleigh 320 Protected point for #1 and a Woodleigh 320 FMJ for #2. Mr. Buff ran about 35 yards and collapsed.

All in all, I would rather have had a 375 with 350's, or even 300's, but my well placed shots were the real difference. I don't always shoot that well now days, and will be carrying my 416 Rigby when hunting at Longido the end of September...and a new to me Sako Safari Grade 375. Yes, I'll still bring a combo gun in 12/9,3x74r. I particularly like to eat Francolin and don't want to miss a chance of a lifetime plains critter while chasing birds.

Keep that sweet little 9,3!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Re: is the 9,3x74R dead? [Re: luv2safari]
      #7187 - 21/01/04 04:49 AM

luv2safari,

...you have certainly had some adventures with your drillings, and have now piqued my interest in getting a merkel 96k (20/20 + 9.3), given my upland interests...

...as an aside, i noticed that you use the 9.3 unscoped, and was wondering whether it makes sense to scope a 9.3 ou for 100+ shots, but to risk messing up the regulation (currently regulated for 60 metres)...

te

luv2safari
.400 member

#7272 - 22/01/04 05:08 PM

You can always scope it and sight it in for 200 yds for the right or under barrel, depending on whether it is a SXS or O/U. This gives you a good 250 yard single shot that kills'em dead! You can use the other barrels instead, if you prefer. I like to use the front trigger first, however. There are many QR scope mount options out now.

The Valmet/Tikka 412's I use at times can be regulated to shoot well at 200 yds with both barrels...a big advantage to using the Valmet system.

I still like drillings the best...so Classic!

--------------------

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

#7287 - 23/01/04 05:36 AM

...appreciate the reply...

...are 'QR' mounts the same as 'QD' mounts?...i was thinking of using traditional 'claw mounts' on my 9.3 ou...the only problem is that the barrels (currently .50 moa at 60 metres) would be required to be re-regulated and re-blued...

...an alternative thought was to merely purchase another double with existing claw mounts...

luv2safari
.400 member

#7379 - 24/01/04 12:44 PM

I learned them as QR years ago, but they are the same cat by either name. I refer to them as QD sometimes, but find as I get older that I use terms from the past more.

I like claws, but have tried something a bit different. Talley makes a good QD ring for their own base. It is a trim base design that doesn't require all the gouging and blasting to install that a claw mount base does. I have a set of 300 H&H Falnged barrels for the Valmet/Tikka that have this type base installed and Talley rings. It sure is a trim setup!

How did I get 412 barrels in 30 Super, you ask? ...30-06 barrels re-chambered...just for fun, mostly. It is just a bit harder to find ammo at the local convenience store in Libby, Montana than it was for the '06 chambering. (shhh, I also have a set of '06, just in case.)

--------------------

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #7580 - 28/01/04 10:10 AM

I see a lot more 9.3x74 doubles in Safari camp than I do 375 flanged, mostly the Merkels and they do a good job on Buffalo...I wouldn't be concerned.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5266

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com