Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Deer Hunting Time AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Deer Hunting Time AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!
      #4178 - 13/09/03 11:56 PM

And am I ready this year!

Today I set my stands and blinds up for the October 1 opener. While out on the lease property yesterday I saw a nice buck prancing through. He's mine, I feel it!

Are the rest of you northern hemisphere archers ready to go?

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Deer Hunting Time AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: AspenHill]
      #4203 - 18/09/03 03:31 AM

Shooting wise I am ready to go. I have seen some nice bucks around my hunting areas this year. I use mostly climbing stands so all I have left to do is make sure my shooting lanes are open. This is a great time of year! Good luck Ann

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Deer Hunting Time AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: IronBuck]
      #4236 - 21/09/03 12:47 PM

IronBuck,

Sounds like you are going to have a great season with the PA QDM program. Wish we had that here!

Hey, I have a climber and totally hate it. It is so heavy and hard to carry I can't get it and all of my gear out at once. Sure wish I could manage it all, any tips that might help me? The thing is collecting dust in my garage and I'd rather use it.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Deer Hunting Time AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: AspenHill]
      #4241 - 21/09/03 10:19 PM

What kind of a climber do you have? I use a Summit Viper XL (aluminum model) that is VERY comfortable. It is also a bit on the large size but I use it like a backpack going in with my daypack tied to it. I can put it up quietly in the dark with out the use of any lights.

I also have an old Loggy climber. This one is very light and compact. I use it when I do backpack/hunting trips. It is very stable when secured but a bit noisy to climb with if you do not take your time. This one is also not as comfortable as the summit.

My brother has an old steel model Summit and it weighs a TON! He does not like packing it in because of this. If you are using a steel climber I understand your problem! Also, the old climbers with wingnuts and removable climber bars have their own sets of potential problems. They do not climb as well as new models and it is easy to lose parts in the dark! Not a good situation LOL.

The best way to use a climber is not to fight it. Many people try to muscle there way up a tree and become tired because of this. The summit is as easy to use as standing up and sitting down. They are also very safe to use. If you did start to fall al you have to do is throw your weight backwards and you will dig into the tree and stop. It should go without saying that you need to use a safety harness while climbing also. Once you get used to the action of a climber and have faith in your gear they become easier to use. I can be set up and reay to hunt within 5 minutes of reaching the base of a tree because I am used to my climbers.

When I first started to use them 10 years ago they terrified me. I seldome went more than 12 feet in the air. Now that I have confidence in using them I climb as high as 30' in some trees. My usual set up is 22-25 feet high. The deer have no idea I am around!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1391

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com