Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Harry Baelder 500 Jeff

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Harry Baelder 500 Jeff
      #40615 - 04/11/05 06:07 PM

Link

Beautiful rifle by a master gunsmith.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
577Robert
.224 member

Reged: 10/02/05
Loc: Germany, NRW
Re: Harry Baelder 500 Jeff [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #40623 - 05/11/05 01:09 AM

Mehulkamder,

knowing the work of Harry resonable well, I would like to call this a "working rifle". His ability goes much over that rifle what he shows there.
He is famous for putting the .500 Jeffery into a Standard lenght action where the feeding is outstanding. I have the pleasure to have his first build .500 Jeffery rifle in my collection.

Robert

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Harry Baelder 500 Jeff [Re: 577Robert]
      #40628 - 05/11/05 01:55 AM

That's a great looking rifle, and it must hold a week's supply of ammo too!

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Harry Baelder 500 Jeff [Re: 500grains]
      #40637 - 05/11/05 02:34 AM

And built on a Hartmann&Weiss action!

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #40722 - 05/11/05 03:48 PM

577Robert,

Having seen the pictures of your Harry Baelder 425 Westley Richards as well as of some of your other rifles including the beautiful 600-577 Rewas, I am sure that your 500 is exquisite. I liked the rifle advertised by the Baelder company because it looked like a nice classic rifle - the crossbolt through the grip is something that Rigby used on their bolt rifles if I remember right. Yes, HArry BAelder is a genius and whoever owns one of his rifles is someone of fine taste.

Best wishes and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Hatari
.224 member

Reged: 16/12/04
      #40895 - 08/11/05 12:23 AM

What's the weight of your rifle ?
Don't you have a problem with the feeding magazine?
Thanks you for yours advices.

577Robert
.224 member

Re: Harry Baelder 500 Jeff [Re: Hatari]
      #41184 - 10/11/05 07:37 PM

Mehul Kamdar
you suprise me again, I could not show anything in this page that you do not remember! You once statet that its is like a nice women it is impossible to forget - seems we have a simular taste.
My .500 Jeffery from Harry is not to fancy at all allthrough the wood is a class for its own ...

Hatari
the weight of my .500 Jeffery, based on a standard lenght action, is 10 pound 2 ounce. The feeding of all 4 cartridges, that the magazin contains, is flawless, regardless if you work the bold slow or quick, and if you hold the rifle upside down. The magazine hold the shells in a stagered position and the follow is under the feeding pressure of a regular Mauser Standard spring!
A couple of years ago, I loaned the rifle to Wolgang Romey ( German maker of british big game cartridges ) who showed the rifle to a famous british gun maker ( one of his main customers ) where it was carefully inspected for the feeding secret! I consider Harry as one of the best source in Germany for bolt action rifles and feeding of so called "trouble cartridges" with reated rim.
Robert

Hatari
.224 member

Reged: 16/12/04
      #41191 - 10/11/05 10:27 PM

Robert Thank you for advices, my last question :
Is the recoil so terrible or not ?
Why H.Baelder doesn't use a magnum action ?
At soon.

577Robert
.224 member

Re: Harry Baelder 500 Jeff [Re: Hatari]
      #41199 - 11/11/05 01:31 AM

Hatari,
almost all things in live are relative! I can assure you that I have no problems with the recoil off the .500 Jeffery in a good stocked, well ballanced rifle of propper weight. Some my respond that the weight of my .500 is on the light side and they are right if you only shot it over the bench. If you have to carry it all day you will much appreciate the 10pounds 2 ounces.
A further example is my .577 NE. When I got it from the maker I shoot 26 shoots, splitt over the morning, with adequad brakes between to let the barrels cool ( and myself )to proof myself and the maker that the rifle shoots well - sitting from the bench. You can take it if you prepare yourself and are willing to do!
Harry Baelder use today mostly Magnum actions for the .500 Jeffery. This is because the time to made the standard military action to feed, to build a new follower and buying or making a magazine and extended magazine floorplate is so timeconsuming that the cost advantage of a standard action is easily eaten up by labor. Mine was the first one he build and it take him three actions to get it right as a learning curve - I do not blame him for that! I insisted on the standard action in this case a 1909 Argentinia, just because the .500 Jeffery was developed to use in a standard action and I never regret it.
Robert

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3530

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com